The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: NEW Macross TV series!!!

Yuri in Macross. not just subtext either(Ranka and Sheryl ship. cough)
think about it. that would put in a new perspective on the love triangle.and at the same time add in to the list of animes where a female pilot is the main character.

they could also show more about the Protoculture Aliens and not just the technology they left behind. is there any official images of them?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Arbiter GUNDAM

I kinda wouldn't want them to have yuri in the show if for only because it would likely be played up more for the otaku rather than there for its own sake. Although I do believe Sheryl is bisexual and I did hear a story once that Alto is designed the way he is because Kawamori wanted a girl protagonist but was told no. Just a story, mind you. ;)

As for the protoculture, the closest thing has been a holographic silhouette in the ruined temple in Macross 7. Given its shape, they seem to look very similar to humans and zentradi.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I kinda wouldn't want them to have yuri in the show if for only because it would likely be played up more for the otaku rather than there for its own sake. Although I do believe Sheryl is bisexual and I did hear a story once that Alto is designed the way he is because Kawamori wanted a girl protagonist but was told no. Just a story, mind you. ;)

As for the protoculture, the closest thing has been a holographic silhouette in the ruined temple in Macross 7. Given its shape, they seem to look very similar to humans and zentradi.
haven't gotten to watching M7 yet.(prioritizing mecha animes from the 80s.) thanks for the tidbit!
and to quote The Doctor somewhat: humans look protoculture. they came first.
that alto story is interesting. maybe Kawamori is a closet Yuri fan. he should be like Ikuhara Kunihiko then.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Just be advised that M7 is a LOT different from the others. :)

--Freyja Wion
excalibur2008

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Just be advised that M7 is a LOT different from the others. :)
I believe drugs may have been involved.
Arbiter GUNDAM

And rock n' roll. Lots of that. :)

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

i already spoiled myself with via tvtropes and the episode reviews at MAHQ.(and also SRW attack vids.)
still, seeing it reading about it are two different things.

going back to the upcoming new macross, i hope the mechas would be animated in a more traditional way. and the designers can get design inspirations from Shumps.

i would love an R-gray(Raystorm) inspired VF.
Henyo

i already spoiled myself about M7 via tvtropes and the episode reviews at MAHQ.(and also SRW attack vids.) still, seeing it and just reading about it are two different things.

going back to the upcoming new macross, i hope the mechas would be animated in a more traditional way. and the designers can get design inspirations from Shumps.

i would love an R-gray(Raystorm) inspired VF.

edit: sorry for the double post. my connection went whack. when the page reloaded, there were two post from mine. really sorry about that.
SonicSP

Macross 7, oh God.........I know I should have made a topic here by episode 10 asking whether to continue it.....

Well it has really good music IMO at least.
MrMarch

I think it's very unlikely the mecha of Macross will be traditionally animated in the next series. The franchise has gone full CG since Macross Zero and hasn't looked back in those ten years. We're probably looking at the next evolution of the Frontier style in the next series. Or at the very least, a CG style might change to do something in the same vein as Ghost in the Shell SAC.
SonicSP

That would be unfortunate because I think they look a lot better traditionally animated. And of course, I always found that CGI ages much worse than traditional drawing. I still think Zero's animation look nice even by today's standards but the CGI battles......hell I genuinely feel like Plus' battles still look nicer on the eyes.

Frontier's still look nice IMO but I also think it would age badly in the future.
MrMarch

No production can escape from being dated (live action or animation). Each individual fan may have their own "preferences"; what looks the best for THEM. But that's personal taste. Older or younger fans have different "snap shots in time" where they feel anime was at it's best. But each anime - objectively - is dated. Only the point of view changes.

As for traditional cell vs. CG animated mecha, I'm good either way. In fact despite being an old school fan, I truly think my favorite anime style has grown to become CG animation that is toon shaded, like mecha animation in the Ghost in the Shell: SAC series. I will admit CG anime did have a rough road toward legitimacy during the early years, but no more than hand drawn animation did in it's infancy. By the time the mid-2000s came, it reached an accomplished style where I was thoroughly engaged. IMO, Macross Frontier attained a perfect level of competence, finally merging the staging of traditional Macross mecha anime action to solid CG animation. I've not complaints with what they've done or where they are going.

But it would be cool in the next Macross series the animators did a GitS: SAC style that was overtly cartoony, to serve as a stylistic departure from the more deeply detailed work of the Frontier era. Would be different and Macross hasn't done that style yet.
Henyo

here's two things i want to get an opinion from other fans:

Character designer
Music

for the former i'd like CLAMP to try a shot at it.(saw a Minmei Fanart some time ago.) we'd get fancier outfits for concerts and promotional material. also, i'd lile them to use their Pre-Tsubasa Style.
though their Big eyed style may not be to the liking of the current generation.

i'd like Naoki Sato for the latter. though this one is more because of his Music in the preCure Series.(and more recently, the Live action Kenshin movies.) as for the in universe music, maybe they could try to use normal music again. not "magic music" as a friend of mine calls it.
SonicSP

What exactly do you mean by "magic music" specifically?
Raikoh

When it comes to character design, I want to say Kawamori but his character art strangely doesn't feel right with Macross these days. The two designers who did work on Aquarion EVOL might be a good fit, since their styles meshed together well and they still looked nice and fitting of a Kawamori project.

Music? I'd like to see a group like Elements Garden to do some. They have great range. Or perhaps Katou Tatsuya, who I've seen a few works from and boy is his work getting better as he gets more experience. Though I'm really not having any problems with Kanno's soundtrack, since Kanno is one of the best out there.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Compass

SonicSP wrote:What exactly do you mean by "magic music" specifically?
Probably means long-running theme where the music causes disruptions to the enemy, a la Deculture!
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
MrMarch

If we aren't talking about the well known pseudo-magical/spiritual effects of music in Macross, I've no idea what "magic music" could mean in reference to a style of j-pop :)
Henyo

MrMarch wrote:If we aren't talking about the well known pseudo-magical/spiritual effects of music in Macross, I've no idea what "magic music" could mean in reference to a style of j-pop :)
that's more or less what my friend meant by magic music. compared to her successors Minmay's songs only make Zentraedi's stop for a while out of confusion. it was their first time to hear a song after all.

how about Game music composers? Sakuraba Motoi(Tales and Star Ocean Series) is a plus for me.
SonicSP

Personally I don't think magic music was an issue in Macross Frontier or Zero, though I really really hated it in 7. I think Minmay's song may have had some strong effect partly because she has strong Spritua (at least, Dr Chiba thinks so?) though I guess the "first time" thing was more it for the Zentradi compared to the Protodevlin or Vajra, which by contrast had a natural vulnerability to that series's music plot device.

Still, I think it would still be here. It's too convenient of a plot device to get rid of completely. For me as long as it doesn't go too far it is fine.
Henyo

SonicSP wrote: Still, I think it would still be here. It's too convenient of a plot device to get rid of completely. For me as long as it doesn't go too far it is fine.
unless of course there is no enemy to use it on. what say you guys to another personal story line like M Plus?