What happens between ZZ and CCA?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
toysdream

Re: What happens between ZZ and CCA?

Right, just to finish up the Hi-Streamer recap...

As volume 2 begins, Amuro's ejected in the "emergency core" of his Base Jabber, only to be grabbed by Zeda's mobile suit. Just in time, he's rescued by the arrival of the Ra Cailum, which has been assigned to reinforce the lone ship of the Londo Bell.

There's not really any more news out of Char for the next bit - it's all concerned with the Londo Bell getting its act together. Amuro is reunited with his old friend Bright, who's been transferred from his previous post as a Garuda captain, and they catch up on each other's relationship news (Mirai and the kids are still on Earth, Amuro and Beltorchika split up, etc). Bright explains that they have a patron in the high ranks of the Federation - the aforementioned John Bauer, who pushed through the mass production of the Jegan.

In addition to Jegans, the Ra Cailum is also carrying the Re-GZ, which is now being upgraded and refitted under Kayra Su's supervision. (I think "Beltorchika Children" clarifies that its Back Weapon System was created by the Londo Bell engineers.) Meanwhile, John Bauer has arranged to have Anaheim's Von Braun factory construct the Nu Gundam based on Amuro's design idea. Amuro isn't happy to hear this - he considers Anaheim "merchants of death" and has heard that their Granada factory is already building mobile suits for Char's Neo Zeon - but Bright reckons there's no other way they'll get the Nu Gundam built in time. He introduces Amuro to Chan Agi, a Ra Cailum mechanic, and says that they'll be supervising the Nu Gundam's development.

Amuro and Chan travel to Von Braun and meet October Saran, who's in charge of Anaheim's side of the project. He tells them about the new psycho-frame material and assures them that it's perfectly safe because it's been tested in a couple of mobile suits already, though of course he doesn't know the details.

Meanwhile, Char's announced his takeover of Sweetwater off-camera. (It doesn't seem like he's using the "Char Deikun" name, which is a pity.) The Federation government isn't terribly concerned, and Bright and Amuro assume they have a while before Char's ready to make his next move. The one wild card, though, is that missing Island 1 colony - if Char's using it as a supply base, he could be months ahead of their projections, and as it turns out he begins his Fifth Luna operation much earlier than anyone expected.

From then on, things play out more or less as in the Char's Counterattack movie.

-- Mark
kobiyashi

I really wish I could read those, among other things. Thanks so much for the summary!
zetatype

toysdream wrote:I'm not sure how much effect Kamille's fate really had here - in Hi-Streamer, he seems pretty callous about it, and it's not clear from the dialogue whether or not he even knew what happened to Kamille. His main argument here is that the war with the Titans showed him how hopeless it was was to try to change the Federation from within.

Amuro seems to be echoing this in the Char's Counterattack movie in one of his conversations with Bright. "Char fought alongside us against anti-Federation people, but that showed him the true nature of the people who remain on Earth, and he truly came to hate them."
While the Titans would sour anyone's opinion about the Federation, the Char of Zeta Gundam seemed to have some optimism (speech at Dakar) for the future in spite of all atrocities committed by the Titans.

So there had to be some trigger that came after the Gryps War that made him lose all hope in the Federation reforming on its own and made him decide to take matters into his own hands.

If it was just the Titans that solidified his opinion on the Federation then i imagine we would have seen Char's transformation from Quatro to CCA Char before the end of Zeta Gundam.
Last edited by zetatype on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalfDemonInuyasha

kobiyashi wrote:I figured that while the "core" of each Zeon iteration was made up of former Zeon and their children, there would always be a somewhat steady stream of new recruits since the Federation never stopped sucking, and there are a lot of people in space.
Which makes it a bit ironic that, by the time of Victory Gundam, you have Spacenoids escaping to Earth because of ones like the Zanscare Empire being arguably more crappy than even the Federation, which has (officially anyway) done little the past 30 years since F91 and the Crossbone Vanguard.

It also doesn't help that Char would be proven more right (don't know if he ever hears about such things or anything) with some of the things in ZZ, especially with the AEUG itself (the higher ups like Wong anyway) quickly becoming just as complacent as the Federation when it came to Haman. Feels kind of bad that he wouldn't get even a small semblance of hope back after hearing no one but a group of kids, the future, went out to fight Neo Zeon on their own. Sure they didn't win the whole thing themselves (most of the damage to Neo Zeon was from the in-fighting between Haman and Glemy), but still...

I wonder what Char would think if he heard about Judau almost changing even Haman, lol.

I also hope we get to hear something on how Char (or whoever) came about the psyco-frame.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
excalibur2008

zetatype wrote:
toysdream wrote:I'm not sure how much effect Kamille's fate really had here - in Hi-Streamer, he seems pretty callous about it, and it's not clear from the dialogue whether or not he even knew what happened to Kamille. His main argument here is that the war with the Titans showed him how hopeless it was was to try to change the Federation from within.

Amuro seems to be echoing this in the Char's Counterattack movie in one of his conversations with Bright. "Char fought alongside us against anti-Federation people, but that showed him the true nature of the people who remain on Earth, and he truly came to hate them."
While the Titans would sour anyone's opinion about the Federation, the Char of Zeta Gundam seemed to have some optimism (speech at Dakar) for the future in spite of all atrocities committed by the Titans.
Which is also ironic considering the stuff he was calling the Titans out on was basically the same stuff he was doing in Char's Counterattack.
Grand Admiral Revil

excalibur2008 wrote: Which is also ironic considering the stuff he was calling the Titans out on was basically the same stuff he was doing in Char's Counterattack.
I think the biggest irony is that, if we take into account the background info in the Zeta novels, Jamitov is pretty much a closet Contolist who's engineered the Titans-AEUG conflict with the goal of bankrupting the Federation so he can take over, eliminate the Earth Elite then move everyone into space. That's right, Jamitov has the exact same goals as Char in CCA, only his methods are actually LESS destructive to the Earth's environment than Char's and may quite possibly result in a smaller overall death toll as well!
"Zeon is exhaused! Now is not the time for us to kneel before Zeon. It is time for us to rise! Now, more than ever, is our chance to defeat Zeon!" - General Revil
Darkerangel

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote: I wonder what Char would think if he heard about Judau almost changing even Haman, lol.
Not to change the topic, but just curious. During CCA wasn't Judau doing his thing over at Jupiter?
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Darkerangel wrote:
HalfDemonInuyasha wrote: I wonder what Char would think if he heard about Judau almost changing even Haman, lol.
Not to change the topic, but just curious. During CCA wasn't Judau doing his thing over at Jupiter?
Yeah, he would be by then. Just wondering what Char would've thought that a kid like Judau would've had such an affect on Haman and, as he thought with Kamille, that the next generation further proving what he had given up on.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Grand Admiral Revil wrote:
excalibur2008 wrote: Which is also ironic considering the stuff he was calling the Titans out on was basically the same stuff he was doing in Char's Counterattack.
I think the biggest irony is that, if we take into account the background info in the Zeta novels, Jamitov is pretty much a closet Contolist who's engineered the Titans-AEUG conflict with the goal of bankrupting the Federation so he can take over, eliminate the Earth Elite then move everyone into space. That's right, Jamitov has the exact same goals as Char in CCA, only his methods are actually LESS destructive to the Earth's environment than Char's and may quite possibly result in a smaller overall death toll as well!
YEAH I remember Paptimus Scirocco telling this to Jerid and Mouar in one episode and I never understood why they never rose up against Jamitov since in past battles Jerid is like "we can't let the spacenoids do what they want" or something like that and they are elite of the Earth so I am sure they would never want to live in space with spacenoids

also I have never heard of NSP or EGUM, does anyone here know the type of mobile suits they use and ships??? always wondered about other anti earth federation organizations besides Mafty, Zeon and the AUEG
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Angelo Sauper

EGUM uses the Gabool Bergson and Zakus, I believe. Though I only read that in a Hi-Streamer thread.