The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
PowerdGNFlag

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Calubin_175 wrote: CG, CG everywhere. This will be the first Gundam anime wto use full CGI for MS. It looks nowhere as good as Macross Frontier or Valvrave. Maybe it is due to the fact that are just too many panel lines, and the high detailed realism that the MS are trying to depict doesn't blend well with the unrealistic 2D environment.

Salamis looks really retro, its proportions has regressed from MS Igloo even back to beyond 1979 style.

It appears that all the MS designs maybe refined, so not pure Origin ones. 1/144 semi-RG Origin line?
MS Igloo says Hi. (I had no problem with the MS animation for that, but the character animation kinda puts me off sometimes.)
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
eanetdude

Re: Staff confirmed

Erisie wrote:GundamInfo posted the anime's staff together with the new images:

Music: Takayuki Hattori
So we have two different names listed for Music duties. That's curious. Perhaps Yuggo Kanno is the actual composer, and this other name is the manager or theme song coordinator of some sort?
balofo

Sumisawa, Katoki, director from IGLOO and the mecha animation director from Valvrave?

This looks bad...

I mean couldn't they hire Orange to do the CG?
Admiral Larsen

balofo wrote:Sumisawa, Katoki, director from IGLOO and the mecha animation director from Valvrave?

This looks bad...

I mean couldn't they hire Orange to do the CG?

Then who would you want for this. Out of Sumisawa, Katoki, and the director from IGLOO, the only one that I agree with complaints and worry on is Sumisawa (thanks to Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop). Otherwise Katoi and the director from IGLOO seem fine. I mean for Katoki, he is pretty much the hero of the hour for his work on Gundam Unicorn and such.
amagee2100

I may have missed this in the discussion and if so, I apologize for redundancy.

Given that this series will be based off the Origin manga, will it be considered an alternate retelling of the original Gundam anime or is it somehow being integrated into the canon of Gundam?
Kratos

Integration is most likely. That's the easy answer.

As it stands now, the ORIGIN anime is 4 OVA films that (likely) only cover the pre- and early-war content of the manga, which is 100% original content. Since that entire arc in the manga takes place before the events of the MSG series and movies, the ORIGIN anime (likely) won't depict any of their events, but considering how closely the broad strokes of the ORIGIN manga hew to those, it's unlikely to contradict anything if it does. This lets it slide nicely into place as a prequel, one that you could conceivably follow up with MSG and only have animation quality to worry about.

There's basically only one continuity snarl preventing that easy integration, and that's the issue of the Guntank/Guncannon, and MS development in general. ORIGIN has the Guntank as a pre-MS war machine and the Guncannon as an early Federation attempt at MS, while in the series/movies they're pretty clearly brand-new machines produced alongside the Gundam. The teaser for the ORIGIN anime showed us that at least the Guntank is going to appear, and if the whole arc is adapted, then we'll get the entirety of Zeon/Fed MS development. That could make perfect integration a bit tricky.
Last edited by Kratos on Thu May 29, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
toysdream

Worst case scenario, really, is that we'll end up with three official (i.e. animated) continuities for First Gundam, instead of the current two. Personally, I can live with that. :-)

-- Mark
gunform1010

Kratos wrote: There's basically only one continuity snarl preventing that easy integration, and that's the issue of the Guntank/Guncannon, and MS development in general. ORIGIN has the Guntank as a pre-MS war machine and the Guncannon as an early Federation attempt at MS, while in the series/movies they're pretty clearly brand-new machines produced alongside the Gundam.
Retcon? *shrugs*
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
gunform1010

Will we see Sayla grown up? If we do, I wonder who her VA will be given You Inoue has kicked the bucket a long time ago.

BrentD15

gunform1010 wrote:Will we see Sayla grown up? If we do, I wonder who her VA will be given You Inoue has kicked the bucket a long time ago.
I certainly hope a new VA will be assigned.
Can't keep them silent forever. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
excalibur2008

Kratos wrote:Integration is most likely. That's the easy answer.

As it stands now, the ORIGIN anime is 4 OVA films that (likely) only cover the pre- and early-war content of the manga,
If its supposed to cover all 4 films then why does the preview to the first OVA make it look like the gist of the prequel story will be in that one?
Kratos

It's possible that the OVA will use a Loum preview as a "hook" and then flash back further, or use it as a flash forward moment. It would certainly provide some more traditional mech action otherwise missing from that part of the story.

All of the footage and profiles so far have been centered almost entirely around the pre-Academy stuff - vol. 5 of the hardcovers - and even within that, it's all been pre-Texas Colony. Obviously the Loum battles are an exception, and it's definitely possible that (as you say) the pre-war arc will be entirely encapsulated in the first episode. But logically, it makes more sense to spread that story out. There are 3 pre-war manga hardcovers, all with an entirely new Gundam story that is completely self-contained - basically, it's the perfect setup for an OVA series. Right now, based on what (little) Banrise has said, that makes the most sense. To me, anyways.

I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if they do cram it all down, though.
Kyuzo Aoi

Speaking about VAs, would some of the voice actors in the Original Gundam would reprise their roles in Origin? I would predict the fandom's insane response when they hear that Shuichi Ikeda would not reprise his role as Char when it was clear it was into his younger self.

I guess Miyuki Sawashiro would be a good replacement for Sayla Mass. Or Megumi Han.
I am a Gundam!
HellCat

I don't see Ikeda being replaced anytime soon. He's got a very distinct voice and I wonder who exactly will step up the sad day when he passes. Ken Narita did a brilliant job in Unicorn as replacement voice for Bright but Ikeda's tone feels fairly unique.

Just so long as it's not like the muddle that was the pointless recasting of A New Translation. At least their first Sara could act....the second (third?) was terrible.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Amion

Ikeda speaks in a way I honestly haven't seen elsewhere. It's just one of THOSE voices that is pretty irreplaceable. Sure someone may end up being an ok stand in, but it will never sound quite right I don't think. Then again, someone may be able to work really hard on MAKING themselves sound like him...

But he's still kicking, so no worries for now. :D

Hey! I'm an OMG Doomsday Laser! I never knew that about myself. Hey, someone tell me how to activate, I've had the power to wipe places off the map and never knew!
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Evex

gunform1010 wrote:
Kratos wrote: There's basically only one continuity snarl preventing that easy integration, and that's the issue of the Guntank/Guncannon, and MS development in general. ORIGIN has the Guntank as a pre-MS war machine and the Guncannon as an early Federation attempt at MS, while in the series/movies they're pretty clearly brand-new machines produced alongside the Gundam.
Retcon? *shrugs*
Looking at the second preview that was posted. I paused to get a better look at the guntank used in the footage, and it looks nothing like the RX-75-4 Guntank. It's possible that sunrise/bandai will spin it as an early model that was rushed into production. This might work since the main site has it listed as RTX-65 instead of an actual RX model number, so its possible the guntank development along with the guncannon were shifted under the victory project for further development, if this is just going to be pre one year war.
Kratos

The Guntanks used by the White Base and the Guntanks in the flashback section are identical in the manga - it probably got the greatest design overhaul by Okawara. I'm not sure what its registration number is in the manga, though MAHQ lists it as RX-75, which says to me that though it's meant to be the OYW Guntank in the manga the OVA is retconning it into an older version (or something) like you said.
gunform1010

Or. what I think is the Guntank is just going to be the Federation's (then) newest tank. We could still say the mobile suits were made by Zeon, because the Guntank is not really a mobile suit.

Kratos

I figured an easy way to "solve" this issue would be to check the official site, and sure enough, they're drawing a distinction. The RTX-65 is labeled as the Guntank Early Model (ガンタンク初期型). So there we have it - it's the Guntank, but an early version of it. Presumably they'll do something similar for the Guncannon.