Official Gundam Games & Upcoming Releases Thread Mk IV

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
AmuroNT1

Re: Official Gundam Games & Upcoming Releases Thread Mk IV

Thousands still won't be enough to convince Bandai Namco to take on a losing proposition. Things like the US release of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle are an incredible one-in-a-million circumstance; we shouldn't expect any more miracles.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mu La Flaga

AmuroNT1 wrote:If you think just complaining at Bandai Namco is going to get Gundam games released in the West, you're being naive. The reason they put out so many Naruto games is because they sell. You may not like them, but other people do. Gundam games sold poorly in the West, and to be perfectly blunt, we as a demographic don't matter to Sunrise one iota.

The cold hard truth is, Bandai Namco is a business, and a business's first duty is to make money, not to please the fans. Gundam merchandise makes more money in Japan alone than it does in every other country on the planet combined. Why on Earth would they localize a game when it would inevitably be a money-losing venture?

Honestly, the more recent console generations have made the import barrier between Japan and America virtually disappear, and most Gundam games still use a degree of English in places like the menus. So if you want to play good recent Gundam games, then go to a website like Play-Asia and buy them there. But thinking you can get Bandai to bring stuff like Battlefield Record just by getting a couple hundred signatures on an Internet petition is wishful thinking at best and delusional at worst.
That may be the case, but that doesn't mean at least in regards to the VS series at least, it can does and seem to draw more people in to it.
People who aren't even in to Gundam and yet try it and find it fun.

I mean other Gundam games are a mixed bag literally excluding DW Gundam series(period)
I think given some time and if more of a community kind of builds, maybe we'll see something or maybe not.

But on a related tangent since you brought it up Amuro, what makes you think JoJo ASB was a one off super lucky instance?
I mean considering in the west JoJo is more obscure then what Gundam is and yet that game gets a release.
So I'm curious if you found some stuff out over time.
Then again, Bamco seems to have caused some of the damage themselves at times, like Crossfire.

It's a shame they really have neglected the VS games since their earlier itterations, they've improved so much.

Anyway, rant over :P
Xenosynth

Updates on Missing Link:

Lost War Chronicles page.
The Thoroughbred stuff's page.

New MS (Though some of these were obviously gonna show up since they had the White Dingo variants):
From the MS Pages:
Ground Gundam
Ground GM + Weapon Rack
Ground GM
GM Sniper II
Ground Gelgoog
Gouf
Dom
Zaku II + Missile Pods and additional head armor things
Gundam Unit 4
Gundam Unit 5
Gundam Unit 5 (BST)
Act Zaku
Rick Dom
Zaku II FZ + Fritz Helm
Galbaldy Alpha

From the Trailers:
Guncannon
Rick Dom II

Also, GM Sniper II's Rifle is solid in this game, woot. We get to see some more space combat and melee combat, which I still wonder how it works. There seem to be normal melee attacks, as well as the more cinematic ones we've seen throughout.
Xenosynth

Oh man, lots of new MS, thanks for the new link!

New units that weren't in the other trailers:
Gelgoog Jager
Gouf Custom
Gelgoog Cannon
Johnny Ridden's HM Gelgoog
HIgh MObility Zaku and Gelgoog for initials VG?
Zaku Sniper Type
Zaku Sniper Type Commander Use
Pixie Gundam (Original Version)
Fancy new Midea, I'm not as familiar with MSV versions of those, so it might be one of those.
Gato's Rick Dom + Beam Bazooka
A blue Gelgoog, not Gato's though
Geara Doga
Pale Rider (Neo Zeon)
Z-II
Efreet Schneid
Dwadge
balofo

So what are you guys expectations on Missing Link, for me it looks worse than 0081. AI looks brain dead and only cool stuff is all the suits in custom missions.
Xenosynth

Eh, we'll have to see. Personally I found 0081 a bit... I dunno. I don't like the 'absolute' freedom it gave with weapons and the way they handled equipment. It made it so it felt really unfun playing weaker suits. Once I got certain high level suits there was literally no reason to even try to get the many variants in the game, like the Dom Cannon and whatnot, because by the time I could afford one and grind for the side parts, I could get something better. Which... I dunno, really frustrated me. This game on the other hand seems to make the loadouts and whatnot feel more like a Gundam game (I know I have a choice in Senki but I really didn't like that they allowed ALL WEAPONS on ALL MOBILE SUITS. I like having cross weapons that make sense... but GM II Beam rifle on a Zaku I? That's... bothersome to me because I'm weird =P )

I'm really interested, but I will agree, the AI looks a bit weak. We'll have to see how it is, since I'll be getting the game pretty much week of release.

The Space Battles look really good though compared to any other space battle Gundam game (Though Unicorn was REALLY good, so we'll have to see). I've not seen a Gundam game pull off Space + Ground amazingly since The Ace Pilot on the gamecube.

Also, Cacophanus AKA Ollie Barder on MechaDamashii also seemed pretty excited after seeing a gameplay video, and for the most part, except on a few things, his taste for mecha games tends to mesh with mine, so I'll have to see if he likes it.
BrentD15

Sorry if I'm going off-topic, but I just want to say some things about Shin Gundam Musou.

I really like how much larger it is compared to the previous Gundam Musou games, especially in terms of units and keeping the story modes from the second game (now, if only they can keep the original soundtrack :P). In all, I'm looking forward to getting it soon. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Calubin_175

It appears that there may a a future scenario set in the UC 0090s with one of the earlier Geara Dogas.

The final scene in the PV is the UC episode 4 Torrington group and confirms that it is the same Efreet Schneid but upgraded.

The Missing Link story is really a missing link as the characters actually bear witness to the events/characters of the side stories, the MSV aces in battle and the major events of One Year War.

I think this production sort of wraps up UC 0079 to 0096 in general, as in we won't expect any more major(game or anime) production set in this period. It also made anime version of Unicorn canon.

Don't know what the PS4 Gundam would be.
Xenosynth

Erm, wasn't PS4 Gundam also confirmed to be a one year war game? Since the preview ended with showing the original Gundam in what was presumably the game's engine?

... And wasn't it already 'canon'? Given that only FILMED works are official? A game has no bearing on canon in Gundam O_o. As we've seen extensively with Mark's threads. But yeah, I only mostly say that because saying a game makes something canon makes no sense, since the only thing that makes anything 'canon' in Gundam is being animated. That's it. Everything else is unofficial.
Calubin_175

I was wondering how they will depict the performance difference between a One Year War era MS and one from UC 0090. I remembered in one of the PSP games, the F91's performance was so disparate from others in that it could zip across the map from one end to another in seconds.
Xenosynth

Yeah, and we know they are actually stronger. The Jegan (25,000) for instance, costs a bit more than the Base RX-78-5 (24,000). The Booster Version of the RX-78-5 is stronger (27000), but that's probably less stats and more its weapon set.
JDogindy

BrentD15 wrote:Sorry if I'm going off-topic, but I just want to say some things about Shin Gundam Musou.

I really like how much larger it is compared to the previous Gundam Musou games, especially in terms of units and keeping the story modes from the second game (now, if only they can keep the original soundtrack :P). In all, I'm looking forward to getting it soon. :)
Well, it's a Gundam game, so you aren't going off-topic.

I just got SD Generations Wars for the Wii, and before that, Assault Survive for the PSP.

I'm hoping a new game is announced for the PS3 later this year that covers more units and characters.
balofo

Missing Link Famitsu score: 28/40. Repetitive gameplay being the main reason...
Xenosynth

Eh, that's rather common among Gundam games, repetitive gameplay that is. I even felt Breaker and the Battle series were repetitive. (Plus Famitsu gave SD Gundam G Gen Spirits a 30/40, and that was probably the best G Gen game so... I question them personally). But whatevs, I'm still gonna give it a try. If it's repetitive gameplay I ENJOY the I can deal with it.
Calubin_175

balofo wrote:Missing Link Famitsu score: 28/40. Repetitive gameplay being the main reason...
Fair enough, Senki 0081 might have scored better due to varied mission objectives, maps and terrain. Since the plot in side stories is mainly a rehash of the old ones + a new one which is a tribute to game side stories in general by recycling the same conventions, hence, it is pretty much expected to be repetitive.

EDIT: It appears that VR Missions won't be faction perspective specific, so just as lazy as the ones from PS3 UC.
HellCat

They had some cabinets playing Reborn at London Comic Con and I got in early enough yesterday to try one. Demo had five units including Stellar in Destroy but I opted for Marida in Banshee.

The gameplay is familar by this point but continues the general upwards streak 3 was on, meaning if you get knocked down you've got a chance to bounce back/retreat rather than just get mauled. The demo mission required trashing hordes of Zakus to bait out aces (Kamille in Zeta/Char in Sazabi, then Heero in Wing Zero). The demo was timed to stop people (ideally) hogging cabinets. I don't think it was actually possible to win the level as a result and it holds your hands on how to play, including calling in White Base to precision strike the field at one point.
Don't think I did too badly myself. Some people seemed to be flailing around but I'm already in the habit of slashing through grunts to launch an SP, then repeat. I didn't try the air attack but Banshee's ground special is similar to the God Finger, pushing opponents around with the claw and then releasing an explosion of energy at the end.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
AmuroNT1

Looking at the last few PVs for Side Stories, the unit list in VR Missions Mode had one surprise: "GM Command (Early Model)". Can't find any information on this, but part of me doesn't wonder if that's what they're calling the RGM-79[E] GM Early Model from 08th MS Team.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Xenosynth

Hrm, there was a GM Command in the preview with the wrong kind of backpack (It had the standard backpack instead of the multidirectional one). Was the one in 08th MS team like that?