The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
mobiusdiablo

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk IV

SpideyWing wrote:So, this is something I debated starting an entire thread on, but since it's closely related to Build Fighters, I'm going to ask this here: Has anyone designed and/or made a custom Gunpla with the idea of it being useful in Gunpla Battle? ...Because I did. >_>...
...Anyone else thought about this, or created an actual kit?
Oh son. Son you are not alone. Let me sit down and try and go through what I did. I've been wanting to make my own custom Gunpla for a long while now, and I've done kitbashes with Busou Shinki for a sort of mecha musume feel. So when Build Fighters came out, that kind of pushed me over the edge and got me to work - but what could I do?

I decided to take the Exia that came with my GN Arms - it was an experiment in using VHT vinyl dye, which didn't end well for some parts, and the leftover guts from two 00 Raisers for one of the mecha musume projects, and for kickers I grabbed a 00 Seven Sword/G and the Hyper Weapon set because SCISSOR BLADES. At first, I only wanted to put on 2 00 GN Drives, using a combination of a backpack and chest vents from 00 on each of Exia's shoulders, along with Exia's own GN Drive, since I liked Exia's head and chest more than 00. but also carve out the lower half of Exia's torso to fit the 00 waist for more articulation.

Get some actual primer, spray it all down in white and then start painting, using silver for the frame parts, keep most of it white, and have parts of both blue and black. For kickers, decided to change it up and use gold leaf for the 'exhaust' on the GN Drives and effect parts, along with two or three coats of Model Masters Turn Signal Amber Yellow on top for a really nice look.

And then... I kept building.

Couldn't use Exia's leg unit or pelvis for this as it's wholly incompatible with 00's, so I used the Seven Sword's to add the GN Katars. Modified the GN Sword II/Blaster to add on both the Hyper Weapon's rail-gun thing and a leftover blade from my deceased Master Grade 00 QAN[T] to create a 'GN Railgun/Blade' - idea being it shoots both a dense slug, enveloped in particles/plasma; even if GN Fields or I-Fields block the beam getting through, the slug would still be heated to a point that defenses like Phase Shift wouldn't be able to resist it. Decided, eh, why not, try and add a custom skirt unit to add two more GN Drives from one of the Raisers.

And then I saw that the plug on the Exia's back, the on the GN Drive goes over, was a perfect fit for the 0 Raiser's plug. A slight modification to the Exia GN Drive, add some puddy inside to tighten the fit, and voila - it was now fully compatible with the 0-Raiser as well. Taking at least two of the wings from my Master Grade AGE-2 Normal to turn those into large blades/wings to be mounted on the 0-Raiser, and scavenging the Arche Gundam's chest and GN Drive to use its subarms to put on the OTHER two GN Drives from the second 00 Raiser, as well as slapping on Raphael's giant cannons. Use the backing of the shields on the 00 Raisers to create a support for the engines from the Master Grade Blue Frame Astray 2nd Revise, which got their hinges modified just a little to hold the Scissor Blades. All the while I'm looking at the spare parts I have, and seeing what else would look good, what wouldn't.

Right now though, this is what I'll wind up looking at - only have most of the torso and waist done as of right now.
Spoiler
Gundam Exia Arcana

Base Kit: HG Gundam Exia, HG 00 Gundam Seven Sword/G
Additional Kits: HG Trans-Am Raiser x2, HG Raphael Gundam, HG Arche Gundam, MG Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise, MG Gundam AGE-2 Normal, HG Trans-Am Cheridum Gundam, HG Reborns Gundam

Weapons:
GN Railgun/Longblade (right shoulder GN Drive),
GN Buster Sword III (left shoulder GN Drive),
GN Beam Saber x4 (Skirt armor and back shoulder armor),
GN Sword (right arm),
GN Sword III (left arm, modified with shield),
GN Sword II Long (right hip),
GN Sword II Short (left hip),
GN Katar x 2 (knees),
GN Beam Pistol/Beam Tomahawk + GN Beam Bayonet x2 (waist)
Scissor Blade Red-Long (left shoulder engine),
Scissor Blade Blue-Short (right shoulder engine),
Raiser Edge Wing Blade x2/x4, depending (0 Raiser tail)
GN Vulcans x2 (Exia forearms)
GN Bazooka II x2 (or whatever Raphael's things are called) (0 Raiser binders/GN Drives)
GN Beam Machine Gun x4 (0 Raiser binders)
GN Missile x20 (0 Raiser binders)
GN Assault Cannon (chest mounted weapon inside Exia's sphere thing)

Equipment:
GN Drive Mod. Spec x8
GN Thruster x4 (from 00's backpacks, shoulders and rear skirt)
Heavy Flight Engines x2 (Astray Blue Frame, on shoulders)
0 Raiser Mod. Spec
Completely aware of how overkill this is, but hey, why not?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mythgarr

mobiusdiablo,
We need PICTURES! :D
Visit The Dreams
Outlaw

mobiusdiablo wrote:Completely aware of how overkill this is, but hey, why not?
Acknowledging that it's overkill pretty much negates any penalty for going overkill, so I say go for it!
I've been kicking around an idea in my head since Destiny ended for a Gundam that mounts 20 beam sabres and can deploy 18 of them at once. Sadly, it will only ever live on paper as it's a 100% original design and not something that could be easily built as a model. :(
Mythgarr wrote:mobiusdiablo,
We need PICTURES! :D
I agree, a project like that could only end up a glorious trainwreck or a fantastical beast. Either way it needs to be seen.

All this talk reminds me of the old Grandiose Gundam April fools prank. We should have gotten permission from the original artist to submit that for one of the Build Fighters cameo contests, just the thought of seeing that ungainly beast animated brings a perverse smile to my face.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
AmuroNT1

Outlaw wrote:All this talk reminds me of the old Grandiose Gundam April fools prank. We should have gotten permission from the original artist to submit that for one of the Build Fighters cameo contests, just the thought of seeing that ungainly beast animated brings a perverse smile to my face.
Oh God, why did we not think of that.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
AmuroNT1

http://bit.ly/1lTgEwt

Hooray for Barnes and Noble finally getting these things near me. I scooped up a Fenice for $25; probably would have grabbed the MG Heavyarms (or maybe Proto Wing Zero) too but I was minding my spending.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

SpideyWing

AmuroNT1 wrote:http://bit.ly/1lTgEwt

Hooray for Barnes and Noble finally getting these things near me. I scooped up a Fenice for $25; probably would have grabbed the MG Heavyarms (or maybe Proto Wing Zero) too but I was minding my spending.
...The Atlanta B&N has Gunpla now? Curse you, Athens B&N for your lack of Gunpla. (Of course, I haven't looked in a while >_>)
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!
AmuroNT1

Actually, this was at Tuscaloosa (helping my aunt through some surgeries). But technically every B&N should have Gunpla at this point.

Compass

Mine didn't... :(

Did we ever establish what Surf was? Or is that still a mysterious ability for SBS?
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Raikoh

Compass wrote:Did we ever establish what Surf was? Or is that still a mysterious ability for SBS?
We were never explicitly shown anything about the Aqua Mode, unfortunately. I'm not sure if the manual says anything or if it's supposed to be a joke based on some of the other rarely-if-ever-seen features on some units (like the Super Napalm).

Unless that the arrow things used in the fight with Dark Matter was the Aqua Mode.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
BrentD15

Raikoh wrote:
Compass wrote:Did we ever establish what Surf was? Or is that still a mysterious ability for SBS?
We were never explicitly shown anything about the Aqua Mode, unfortunately. I'm not sure if the manual says anything or if it's supposed to be a joke based on some of the other rarely-if-ever-seen features on some units (like the Super Napalm).

Unless that the arrow things used in the fight with Dark Matter was the Aqua Mode.
Spoiler
Just like we'll never see anything about the Capule's Sonic Blast weapon being animated. :P
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
HellCat

Most seem to think it was intended for the race episode but that plans got changed and thus it was never used.

I could believe that but, as mentioned, there's every possibility this was intentional. Note for one that after it was used once, everyone made sure they took out Star Build Strike's shield when they fought it. BF seems to lean slightly on the idea the kits and battles are dictated by fanboy and fangirl logic, which is more self aware than a traditional Gundam show.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
PowerdGNFlag

Spoiler
I'm not sure if this is actually official art, but word is that the Chief Mechanical animator drew this up.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Compass

That... is awesome :lol: I can see how that would have gone into play had the race gone differently at that water hazard.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
zetatype

AmuroNT1 wrote:Actually, this was at Tuscaloosa (helping my aunt through some surgeries). But technically every B&N should have Gunpla at this point.
I actually saw your post this morning and decided check out my B&N to see if they had any, and what do ya know they actually did.

In fact if you didn't mention you got yours from Tuscaloosa I would have figured you visited the one I did (Buffalo, NY), because the lay out of the shelf was exactly the same (there were RG Destiny Gundams and HG Sengoku Astray Gundams in the empty spots). Currently deciding between HG Wing Fenice and MG Heavyarms

Anyway this definitely puts a smile on my face. Last time I remember seeing gundam models at any major retailer was back when G Gundam was airing. I wonder how many B&N stores are doing this.
Last edited by zetatype on Fri May 09, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zetatype

Double post.
Zeonista

zetatype wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:Actually, this was at Tuscaloosa (helping my aunt through some surgeries). But technically every B&N should have Gunpla at this point.
I actually saw your post this morning and decided check out my B&N to see if they had any, and what do ya know they actually did.

In fact if you didn't mention you got yours from Tuscaloosa I would have figured you visited the one I did (Buffalo, NY), because the lay out of the shelf was exactly the same (there were RG Destiny Gundams and HG Sengoku Astray Gundams in the empty spots). Currently deciding between HG Wing Fenice and MG Heavyarms

Anyway this definitely puts a smile on my face. Last time I remember seeing gundam models at any major retailer was back when G Gundam was airing. I wonder how many B&N stores are doing this.
I don't remember seeing any Gundam kits at my local B&N store recently (SW Ohio), but perhaps I was not looking in the wrong place. I must go back and look again!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Compass

My, aren't we all kinda slow :lol:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... code=20854

Apparently, several of my area B&N did have it in stock. Maybe in the back-room? All I saw were nano-blocks, legos, and puzzles. Probably easier to verify and call than drive there for disappointment or awkwardly gesturing to an employee that you want a Wing Gundam Feni-chay though it will probably read something like Wing Gundam Fenice.
Raikoh

Last time I went to my local mall I went to check out B&N to see if they had any in stock. It took a little exploring but they were put near the other models and puzzles and stuff. I almost missed it since nearly everything was sold out except for a Sengoku Astray, MG Wing Zero, and an ancient HG Wing. I guess they sell like candy up where I live.

...BUT I figured I'd pass. I got TWO model stores where the stock is largely Gundam about a half hour drive away [in good traffic conditions]. Whatever the case, they seem to be cropping up all over and if every store is like mine, they're selling rather well. At this point it'd probably be more surprising if the store ISN'T stocking Gunpla.

...Now let's wait for a Barnes & Noble ballsy enough to stock the Neo Zeong. Assuming they can fit the box through the door.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Arbiter GUNDAM

so yeah... apparently we're getting a sequel series. Huzzah!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Compass

We're gonna need a new thread and sticky at this rate!
I wonder how the second season will handle Season 1's custom suits?

Like, for example, would it be plausible for Star Build Strike to become a mass-production model? :lol:

I think Sei would get sidelined in the second season, though. Really hard to make a reasonable follow-up for a person who's already world-champion, and actually good at gunpla battle, akin to like maybe Yugi after the end of Yugi-oh? New cast, maybe with the original cast as a supporting role, is probably going to be how this will work ._.

Or maybe a series set in Reiji's World with Mocks :lol: