The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kratos

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Zeonista wrote:The Japanese Gundam fans have seen the early OYW stories done in game animation snippets, but it would not be the same thing as an Origin episode doing Operation British from start to finish, or the chaotic brawl that is most of Loum.
I think Operation British is what I'm most looking forward to, due to how Yas portrays it.
Spoiler
Basically, it starts with a bit inside the colony itself, as the population is ordered into shelters and then gassed. One boy actually ends up staying outside the shelter and dies as the colony is moved out of its position. It's personal and powerful - and is followed by a very formal depiction of the drop itself, like a history program with timestamps and narration. It's a cool contrast that works really really well.
However, Loum is...well, as far as I remember, it's not much different from the IGLOO episode that portrays it, and actually might be a little bit LESS action packed. I certainly don't remember it feeling particularly exciting or chaotic, being more centered around character drama than the larger battle. That said, I might be remembering it wrong; it's been a while since I've read it and I don't have my volumes on hand.
Last edited by Kratos on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
excalibur2008

Zeonista wrote:
excalibur2008 wrote:
Kratos wrote:Actually, that stuff - early OYW Zeon curb stomping - has been in plenty of manga and games.
All of which is usually bought by a fraction of the total fanbase.

Hence why it's not considered part of the continuity.
Actually, those manga & games have been bought by much of Gundam's total fanbase.
Are you sure?

Because otherwise it seems interesting that Gundam seems to follow other franchises in that only certain parts actually count as happening which doesn't seem to include tie-ins which usually seems based on the tie-ins only being seen by a fraction of the fanbase.
Kratos

excalibur2008 wrote:Are you sure?

Because otherwise it seems interesting that Gundam seems to follow other franchises in that only certain parts actually count as happening which doesn't seem to include tie-ins which usually seems based on the tie-ins only being seen by a fraction of the fanbase.
I've always seen the manga (and/or games) side of things to be a testing ground. It's cheaper, and thus far more risk-free, to make a manga, and so Banrise can see what ideas are potential for animation.

I mean, yeah, by their very nature, the manga stuff is more niche than the anime stuff is, since it only really gets exposure in the fandom itself (as opposed to the general public). But there's not really anything to suggest that the titles in question sell poorly within the fandom, as you're implying.
Last edited by Kratos on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentD15

Also, during the funeral scene in the trailer, did anyone else notice Grandpa Flit at the upper right?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Zeonista

Kratos wrote:
Zeonista wrote:The Japanese Gundam fans have seen the early OYW stories done in game animation snippets, but it would not be the same thing as an Origin episode doing Operation British from start to finish, or the chaotic brawl that is most of Loum.
I think Operation British is what I'm most looking forward to, due to how Yas portrays it.
Spoiler
Basically, it starts with a bit inside the colony itself, as the population is ordered into shelters and then gassed. One boy actually ends up staying outside the shelter and dies as the colony is moved out of its position. It's personal and powerful - and is followed by a very formal depiction of the drop itself, like a history program with timestamps and narration. It's a cool contrast that works really really well.
However, Loum is...well, as far as I remember, it's not much different from the IGLOO episode that portrays it, and actually might be a little bit LESS action packed. I certainly don't remember it feeling particularly exciting or chaotic, being more centered around character drama than the larger battle. That said, I might be remembering it wrong; it's been a while since I've read it and I don't have my volumes on hand.
The chapter on Operation British was the one that convinced me that Gundam the Origin was all the hype said it was, and that an anime covering what went before the raid at SIde 7 would be good to have. For those of you who haven't read it, the chapter covers the events described by Kratos, plus an argument covering the operation concerning Dozzel Zabi & Ranba Ral. Ral-san had some cutting remarks about the whole thing and its reflection on the justness of Zeon's cause, which displeased the non-introspective Dozzel in turn. The events depicted around/on the doomed colony that framed the argument made for a powerful installment, even if I could barely read half of it.

I expect that Loum would do better as anime, due to the desire of Yas to focus on character inspiration & decision rather than fill up lots of panels with ship & mecha combat. We've discussed Loum several times on this and other forums, and it would be nice to see Sunrise provide a definitive visual version for us. I personally would not mind some coverage of the see-saw nature of the conflict, its somewhat messy nature which concealed ZMF losses behind the near-destruction of two EFSF fleets, the battle-turning charge of the MS with Char's Zaku S out in front, and Revil's hopes of escape dashed by the Tri-Stars.

A complete Operation British & Loum episode cycle would also give graphic explanation of Gihren's controversial decision to invade the Earth. Why take on the numerically EFF on its home turf, even for the stated gains of resource mining? Operation British & Loum would be the answer in the anime. The EFSF had been routed, and Earth itself had been attacked with spectacular if ineffective result. Why shouldn't the Zabis then go for broke?
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
excalibur2008

Kratos wrote: I mean, yeah, by their very nature, the manga stuff is more niche than the anime stuff is, since it only really gets exposure in the fandom itself (as opposed to the general public). But there's not really anything to suggest that the titles in question sell poorly within the fandom, as you're implying.
I'm not saying they don't sell well. I'm saying that usually they aren't bought by the vast majority of the fanbase.

To use an example of another scifi franchise, Star Trek books can sometimes end up on best seller lists, but the majority of the fanbase and general audiences probably haven't bought those books or have any interest in them. Which has been confirmed by the actual authors on at least one Star Trek forum.

So its not that they don't sell well enough, its that most of the audience for the shows are likely to have not bought it to the point that it would be nuts to require having seen tie-in stuff to know whats going on in one of the shows.
Zeonista

excalibur2008 wrote:
Kratos wrote: I mean, yeah, by their very nature, the manga stuff is more niche than the anime stuff is, since it only really gets exposure in the fandom itself (as opposed to the general public). But there's not really anything to suggest that the titles in question sell poorly within the fandom, as you're implying.
I'm not saying they don't sell well. I'm saying that usually they aren't bought by the vast majority of the fanbase.

To use an example of another scifi franchise, Star Trek books can sometimes end up on best seller lists, but the majority of the fanbase and general audiences probably haven't bought those books or have any interest in them. Which has been confirmed by the actual authors on at least one Star Trek forum.

So its not that they don't sell well enough, its that most of the audience for the shows are likely to have not bought it to the point that it would be nuts to require having seen tie-in stuff to know whats going on in one of the shows.
What Kratos & I have been saying is that the Japanese Gundam fan base is inclusive enough to have much of its audience bought & played the games, and to have read the tie-in manga from Gundam Ace and other publications. Three successive versions of GIhren's Ambition would be all the proof you require there. ;) And MSG is the father of all Gundam series, included in every multi-show game, so even Gundam fans who normally favored AU stuff would be as conversant in it as any Star Trek fan would be conversant in the original series. In general, the Japanese Gundam fandom does not sub-divide and label itself as obsessively as the American Gundam fandom.

Deacon Blues: The 0082 story for Amuro is fascinating, please keep us updated. I also agree that full-color Origin would be marvelous, having admired the color front pages in the main manga many times.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
TheBeastAR

If this is just going to be the flashbacks/backstory. I'll be satisfied. A full adaptation isn't needed, (though the 0079 story in HD? That'd be awesome!) since yes, whilst I can easily see why Origin is the 'definitive' version, I don't think we need to see the White Base story again, since we already a tv series and pretty excellent trilogy that gives us that. All the same, 0068 origin of Char? Bring it on!
Evex

This has been on my mind a bit. Considering that Origin in itself is an adaptation of the original mobile suit gundam. The fact bandai/sunrise is adapting the pieces of chars background, which makes this an adaptation of an adaptation. I digress a bit, but do you think the adaptations bandai/sunrise is doing is meant so it fits in with the original mobile suit gundam, and the timeline they had established. Could they also be doing this to prevent creating any new official timelines, and why the entirety of the Origin isn't being adapted ?
Kratos

Actually, this isn't really an adaptation of an adaptation; the bits being adapted only exist in THE ORIGIN, so it's about the only bit of it that wouldn't fall under that label.

And that's probably why it's the part being adapted. It's new, short, self-contained, and doesn't tread on the deeply ingrained existing material. As for the timeline thing, I kinda doubt it; only Banrise has control over the official timeline, so it's not like they have to make any kind of pre-emptive action.
Erisie

The official website has uploaded character art for the anime:
http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/images/character.jpg

It seems to be following Yas' manga art closely, including the shift of Jimba Ral from the kind, almost mythical surrogate father figure for Artesia that appears in the anime's flashbacks, to a deranged old man, obsessed with avenging Zeon Zum Deikun.
Kratos

Wait, Jimba appears in anime flashbacks? I always thought that was Ramba lifting up little Artesia.
Erisie

Kratos wrote:Wait, Jimba appears in anime flashbacks? I always thought that was Ramba lifting up little Artesia.
I know that Gundam Wiki is a very unreliable source, but that cites him as Jimba Ral. Apparently, Yas' portrayal in The Origin as an anti-Zabi fanatic also appears in Tomino's novel:
Yoshiyuki Tomino's novel wrote:Char's father, Zeon Zum Deikun, had founded the original Republic of Zeon with the help of Lord Degwin Zabi, the current ruler. But fourteen years ago, after Zeon Deikun's death, Degwin had repudiated the republican system of government and changed the country to a “Principality,” purging it of all loyal republican elements. Char was too young at the time to have understood the difference between the two forms of government, but his foster father, Jimba Ral, believed—was, in fact convinced—that Zeon Deikun had not died a natural death, and had actually been assassinated. Jimba Ral had therefore raised Char with a single, burning obsession: to kill Degwin and topple the Zabi family.
toysdream

Gundam wiki is wrong here; that's young Ramba Ral in the flashback.

-- Mark
Erisie

toysdream wrote:Gundam wiki is wrong here; that's young Ramba Ral in the flashback.

-- Mark
That means that this image and this image are both of Ramba? The anime's image doesn't look much like him, even for a young man.
toysdream

Your first link seems to be broken. Anyway, the flashback we see in the anime when Ramba Ral encounters Sayla just before his death is definitely of Ramba Ral. According to the Gundam II script, it shows Ramba at age 25 and Sayla at age 7, so this would be ten years earlier - circa U.C. 0069.

-- Mark
Kenji

Truthfully, The Origin (or, at least, this first production) confining itself to new material is what makes it interesting for me. Personally, I find myself bored by the penchant for retreading. The decision to retread played a large role in my disappointment in 00 S2 and my disinterest (to a level that honestly surprised me) in AGE.

So, for the last few years, my status as a "Gundam fan" has been mostly kept to sporadically keeping up with UC (which I'm very fond of, but its release schedule makes it easy to forget) and periodic attempts to watch V or ∀ in one sitting. Oh, and not posting here. :P The announcements for this and Reconguista give me new stuff to look forward to, for a change, and that's pretty damn neat. :)
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
gunform1010

Do we ever find out if Degwin did it or not?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
monster

Kenji wrote:The decision to retread played a large role in my disappointment in 00 S2 and my disinterest (to a level that honestly surprised me) in AGE.
I don't see how either of them is a retread.
Kenji

monster wrote:
Kenji wrote:The decision to retread played a large role in my disappointment in 00 S2 and my disinterest (to a level that honestly surprised me) in AGE.
I don't see how either of them is a retread.
00 S2, instead of following the first season's trajectory, forced an awkward global union just so it could replay Zeta. I sat through the whole thing, with my college buddies, and didn't believe a word of it.

AGE smacked of a retread of the whole 1st century UC, which isn't without its own cleverness. Though, to be fair, there was something about it that wouldn't let me get past the first episode. Wasn't the art style... and I seriously thought the "alien" hook would've reeled me in, but it wasn't strong enough to keep me from feeling like I could just watch the original series again.

True, what I just outlined shows there were greater problems than the retread, but that sense that I've been here before certainly didn't help.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."