The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

I didn't mind except for that....smile the main character has. It's a bit too disturbing that he looks like he is about to bite someone's head off. I mean really, he could make Jaws blush with that grin.

Edit: watched it a third time, and the grin isn't quite so bad as my first reaction. It's still kind of choppy. I am 99.9 percent sure this is a very early teaser and we are looking at something a lot like we did with Valvrave. The future trailers and show will be much, much better quality.

I do notice that the Acguyish suit tilts at a very 80's angle while the pilot is yelling. So there do appear to be callbacks to the older shows of that era. Could be fun. :D
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Newtype87

While some of the stuff rubs me the wrong way (the crap trailer, mostly) I am at the very least intrigued. The mech designs look different than we're used to in the UC era, but in a good way, and I still see some connections to past designs without it being a direct "homage", and the Gundam certainly looks more interesting than the seventeen versions of the Strike we've had so far. That, and I don't mind backpacks if they're used well (ohai, 00 and Quanta). And yeah, definite Turn A vibes from some of the stuff, which is very cool too. So, yeah, I am at the very least interested and will keep an eye on it.

But man, was that trailer terribly put together.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Compass

Who put Eureka Seven's art style in my Gundam? I like both separate, but together, I'm struggling.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
latenlazy

Not a huge fan of the mech designs but really glad they're at least trying something new. I've been drawing Gundams since I was in middle school and have begun to realize how formulaic designs have become. The designs will probably grow on me, or at least inspire some new ideas. Who knows. Maybe the mid season upgrade (if there is one) will completely change how we see it.

Otherwise really excited Tomino is back in the picture.
manwiththemachinegun

They don't look like toys, which is always the best Gundam compliment I can give. :P
Destiny_Gundam

I just hope this will be Turn A Tomino, not Wings of Rean Tomino.

Also I see absolutely no point in setting it in the same universe as the UC timeline other than to bait in UC fans. If it's so far in the future I doubt it will tie back into the Zeon wars in any significant way so it could probably function just fine as an AU. I felt the same way about F91 and Victory. VOTOMS Finder too. Some of the tech might carry forward, but that's always been easily replacable with a different universe equivalent tech.

Anyways, I'll be watching it no matter what.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
latenlazy

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I just hope this will be Turn A Tomino, not Wings of Rean Tomino.

Also I see absolutely no point in setting it in the same universe as the UC timeline other than to bait in UC fans. If it's so far in the future I doubt it will tie back into the Zeon wars in any significant way so it could probably function just fine as an AU. I felt the same way about F91 and Victory. VOTOMS Finder too. Some of the tech might carry forward, but that's always been easily replacable with a different universe equivalent tech.

Anyways, I'll be watching it no matter what.
There's some potential in setting it in the same universe as UC. For example, they could passively refer to that history much like how we would refer to Rome or Greece, etc. It's an interesting storytelling device we don't get see as much in fictional universes, and when it is employed it's often self referential within the series, so it's not exploited to its fullest potential.
ShadowCell

That might make it a pretty good successor for Unicorn, in that Unicorn draws the definitive conflict of the Universal Century to a close, and then Reconguista would feature some new story to definitively move the Universal Century beyond the Zeons.

or it'll be something completely different, i dunno
Zeino

Does anyone else think that Reconguista in G could be the "bridge" between UC and Turn A?
latenlazy

Zeino wrote:Does anyone else think that Reconguista in G could be the "bridge" between UC and Turn A?
It's entirely possible. They could surprise us near the end with a big reveal of the Turn A and or Turn X. However, one wonders whether Banrise would really want to do that since that's one or two less new models they could advertise (that said maybe it just boosts sales of the Turn A/X and lets them repackage runners with extra equipment).
Gundam420

Well it's never actually specified how long Turn A is set after UC, so while G Reko maybe set in between it may not really matter in the end. Of course for all we know the show could end with people living on the moon or discovering alien tech, or prototypes of the moonlight butterfly, who knows. It's possible but just from the outset, it doesn't seem too concerned about tying UC and CC.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
YokozunaBulldozer

I am liking the Gundam design and the very "distant" future look.
It feels like the last arc of Gurren Lagann + Eureka Seven + King Gainer.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
jabman025

like what I see so far, the new gundam design looked odd but that briefly show enemy? suit looked really interesting.

and is is just me or does the main character look kinda like a frog with that super wide grin.........will have to get used to it I guess
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Strike Zero

ShadowCell wrote:Unicorn draws the definitive conflict of the Universal Century to a close
Oh, ShadowCell, you always know how to make me laugh.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
kayone73

As usual new series comes out, we know basically nothing about the show and there are already complaints based on....? (yeah Im talking about YOU).

I think this looks like a really refreshing change of style for the Gundam franchise and hopefully will only follow the minimal number of franchise tropes to remind viewers its a Gundam series. If it's true this 'Reguild' era is in the far far future of the UC calendar, that will be great. The only other thing I could ask for is a non-Earth, extra-solarsystem setting.

I do agree that the original G Reko concept by Tomino could have been an original non-Gundam related creation but adapted to the franchise by sunrise. Its too bad that Gundam is going all out for its 35th anniversary while Macross did barely anything for its 30th.
YokozunaBulldozer

Gundam420 wrote:Well it's never actually specified how long Turn A is set after UC, so while G Reko maybe set in between it may not really matter in the end. Of course for all we know the show could end with people living on the moon or discovering alien tech, or prototypes of the moonlight butterfly, who knows. It's possible but just from the outset, it doesn't seem too concerned about tying UC and CC.
Its in a situation where it can refer from UC yet start from a fresh canvas at the same time.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
kayone73

latenlazy wrote:Not a huge fan of the mech designs but really glad they're at least trying something new. I've been drawing Gundams since I was in middle school and have begun to realize how formulaic designs have become. The designs will probably grow on me, or at least inspire some new ideas. Who knows. Maybe the mid season upgrade (if there is one) will completely change how we see it.

Otherwise really excited Tomino is back in the picture.
Yeah when every new series of Gundam mech designs derive from the schools of Okawara and Katoki, it's nice to change things up. Sometimes to innovate, one must make changes that may be initially unpopular because *surprise* people like familiar things.
manwiththemachinegun

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
Gundam420 wrote:Well it's never actually specified how long Turn A is set after UC, so while G Reko maybe set in between it may not really matter in the end. Of course for all we know the show could end with people living on the moon or discovering alien tech, or prototypes of the moonlight butterfly, who knows. It's possible but just from the outset, it doesn't seem too concerned about tying UC and CC.
Its in a situation where it can refer from UC yet start from a fresh canvas at the same time.
Granted I don't know the ins and outs of Gundam canon besides that, thematically, Turn A is supposed to be the grand finale of all the series. But having a distant UC series that's far enough from the familiar Zeon/Jupiter conflicts while set at an indeterminate point in the timeline makes sense to me. I'm not too concerned about the possible conflicts between series since what is/isn't canon is constantly changed in most fictional settings.
Kyuzo Aoi

And one other thing.

Was the pink ball robot thingie in the trailer finally the new Haro 2.0?

And BTW, I've noticed design influences in the Reconguista Gundam, for a lack of a name. The design, to speak, somewhat reminds us of Exia, but its the V-fins that stand out. They made it a really integral part of the head. The V-fins reminds me of the head of the Belpeghor or Double X Gundam, only with the white fins on top. Also, the v-fins is swept forward, a nice change. The chest had a definite rx-79 lineage, though.

The character designs seemed odd. The faces remind me easily of Renton Thurston or one of the kid trios of Eureka Seven, especially the mouth. It won't be long before G-Reko will be dubbed Gundam Eureka 7.

I don't know about the plot, since we don't know it yet, but let's just wait and see.
I am a Gundam!
Heaven Piercing Man

Looks interesting, but I can't get over that Spangrish typo.