The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

Official thread for Tomino's return to Gundam. We're a long way off from this airing, so please don't feel compelled to just fill this thread with endless speculation until then. If there's no news to discuss, there's no news to discuss.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Zeonista

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoin ... X_kQZLb64E

Now THIS should be the right link! It's definitely a Tomino anime! :D Looks closer to Turn A Gundam than anything else so far.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
balofo

Let's see:
-Washed up Tomino from garbage like Brain Powrd, King Gainer and the Zeta movies directing, writing and having a say on everything else.
-Overmen MS rejects by Yasuda. Gundam again uses different backpacks and you can't blame Okawara this time haters :)
-Yoshida face is the new Hirai face.
-Late UC setting probably forced by executives.
-Possibility of being a 50 episode series, expect that Tomino pacing...
-If they make gunpla out of this it won't sell.

I'm gonna bet all my bitcoins this is gonna be a HUGE flop.
Andrew_Graruru

I like the look of the series and I'm hoping for the best but wow that is a poorly constructed trailer. Same shot of the gundam shown twice in fairly close proximity and then an incredibly awkward zoom which that frame was clearly not designed for, making the Gundam look all derpy.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
Chris
Administrator

balofo wrote:Let's see:
-Washed up Tomino from garbage like Brain Powrd, King Gainer and the Zeta movies directing, writing and having a say on everything else.
-Overmen MS rejects by Yasuda. Gundam again uses different backpacks and you can't blame Okawara this time haters :)
-Yoshida face is the new Hirai face.
-Late UC setting probably forced by executives.
-Possibility of being a 50 episode series, expect that Tomino pacing...
-If they make gunpla out of this it won't sell.

I'm gonna bet all my bitcoins this is gonna be a HUGE flop.
You better cool it right now, because I don't want this thread to go bad within the first 5 posts. It looks like you're raging on this show just because of your disappointment with The Origin. If you don't care about Reconguista, that's fine, but no one is forcing you to post a litany of flimsy angry fanboy complaints.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

I'm curious to see where this series goes, it's got me curious to see more, when more comes out in due time.
Also Balofo, I don't mean to say this, but it kind of makes you stand out in a bad way, when you similarly have had a little bit of poking or inflaming things in other threads.
(simillarly in the Origin thread and once in the Full Boost thread)
Fyi, I don't consider King Gainer to be Garbage(don't take ANN's review rating as fact)

Try balancing your critisisms with a little postive, is all Chris wants to see :P
HellCat

Hope they follow BF's lead in making this available to stream legally. I think half the reason BF has been embraced more than AGE internationally is the streams being open to a majority. Would love to support this show in the same way.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
manwiththemachinegun

I think it looks really cool, it'd be nice to have a late U.C. era story to help move past the extremely depressing, not to mention bitter, tone of Victory. The designs seem neat, it reminds me of the later Mega Man games whose world was technologically advanced, but "simple" at the same time. Better than crystal towers and togas at any rate. :P
Cybaster

I do agree with the poorly constructed trailer part, though, if nothing else; Fresh out of the quality we got in 00, Unicorn, AGE and BF, the animation there looks like it's ripped off straight from an unreleased 80s Hayao Miyazaki movie (watching the trailer, I was seriously reminded of Nausicaa and the Valley of Wind for some reason), and that's a little unacceptable in 2014 (though I can understand if that's something of a homage Tomino turns out to be trying for).
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
LightningCount

I guess this is the place for comments as much as the 35th thread, so:

I wish G-Reko had stayed G-Reko and had been a new sci-fi series by Tomino with the barest of Gundam connections. I hope they didn't totally scrap the original G-Reko design, because it was a lot more interesting than this final design. Perhaps this design can change into or upgrade into the old design? The Eureka 7-style designs do make it feel more Eureka 7-ish than necessary, or even somehow Overman-ish to an extent. I was somehow expecting more angular and adult character designs given the original promo images, which made it look more 2001: A Space Odyssey or Gundam: For The Barrel than what we're seeing now. Maybe something more along the lines of Wolf's Rain or RahXephon for its character designs? I'll give it a try, but I'm just not too hyped by that trailer. It does, however, look to be a Turn-A successor, which was one of my theories. How does this link into the Dark History...or does it? Since it's a new timeline, is this post-Turn-A or just post-Victory/G-Savior?
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Amion

I've not seen enough to pass judgment. One girl looked like Eureka from Eureka 7. I wouldn't mind that, if it weren't for some of the rather odd designs, one of which is the main character. Given the over all mecha animation I've seen and that awkward zoom, I am going to bet that this PV was really last minute on the list of decisions.

This series looks like it's going to be one of those Turn A types of series or at least not a very unhappy one. Though with Tomino that could change in a single beam blast. Looking forward to a more Gargantia-styled tale with quirky, loveable characters rather than a ponderous drama.

I'm really meh about the shifting backpacks at this point. If they want to give the poor thing a backpack, go ahead.

So here's to a new trailer and hopefully another great story like Turn A.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
manwiththemachinegun

40 seconds of preview footage isn't enough to come to a conclusion I think. It could be great, or it could be terrible, but the concept seems interesting at least. It has potential.
Raikoh

Am I the only guy who has an overwhelmingly positive opinion about the art style? Yeah, it's very E7, but that's fine. Eureka 7 had great art, as well as animation that holds up even when placed next to modern animation (same opinion with Gainer), and I really like unique mecha design. I prefer the memorable-if-a-bit-wacky designs to the forgettable-but-cool-looking. The old G-Reco design looked like an anorexic Astray, really boring. This new one is already memorable (and it's actually got less weirdness than our beloved Moustache), so I embrace the design gladly. Besides, with three mecha designers on board, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of different ones (like that GM Type we see in the trailer).

Also, I can't understand many statements about the animation quality. We've gotten a 40 second PV that seems to be showing a majority of unimportant but visually interesting clips (like establishing shots, that cheerleader shot is more like something you'd see as a background event of a scene, and the Mobile Suit shots weren't really combat ones). I'll wait until the first episode airs to pass judgment on the animation. At the very least it looks like it'll be passable.

...Though, yeah, ah... Beruri's face is a bit unnerving in the trailer.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Blackbeltsam

My only inquiry is how Old School Tomino will get with this series.

And what the body count will be like.
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
ZeonsSilverStar

I commented in the other thread about my excitement and my feelings remain unchanged. Oh man this is a great year to be a fan.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
battletech

Blackbeltsam wrote:My only inquiry is how Old School Tomino will get with this series.

And what the body count will be like.
I'm assuming he's happy about how things are going. He seemed very upbeat while talking during the announcement. So I don't expect it to be Victory Gundam level death tallies.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
angelwingzero

Looks like King Gainer and Gundam had a baby. I'm interested.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
GX9900-Gundam-X

So I am massively excited for this I am liking the art the new gundam looks fantastic to me and I have to say Beruri looks alot like a mix of Renton and Gain with a dash of Garrod so far the society at large seems to have some neat designs all in all I am more hype for Reconguista in G than I am for Origin!
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
wielder

As someone who liked Eureka 7, Overman King Gainer and especially Turn A Gundam, I must say that the look and feel of Reconquista seems perfectly alright by me.

If Tomino is going to work on something Gundam-related again, it's always better to see him continue to follow this slightly more unorthodox and oddball road instead of repeating the Universal Century formula as much as he once did. Or as much as several other Gundam productions have done even after his departure from the main series.

Evidently, the trailer is more of an early teaser than anything else, so I'm not necessarily taking it as being particularly representative of the final production in terms of visual quality (although, for the record, I do maintain that animation is usually secondary to characters and story).
Soul Eater, the True Rune
yazi88

I'm not a fan of the character designs as some of the characters have this freaked out look on their faces that you'll find quite often in SOME bones anime. (Mars Daybreak was pretty free of this stuff)

I'll give this show the benefit of the doubt, its too early to tell what the story is going to be.