Ep. 140 - Gunpla's True Detective

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 140 - Gunpla's True Detective

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 140 - "Gunpla's True Detective"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 127 min., 9 sec. (2:07:09) - 58.2 MB

Episode Summary:
This episode is rich with Plavsky Particles as we climb further up the bracket of the World Tournament with reviews of Build Fighters Eps. 16-20!

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News/The Old Timey Drama Hour"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:37:25

02. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:37:25 - 0:38:15

03. "#ExVsTheGundamnation - Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost Nights!" (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:38:15 - 0:39:55

04. Main Segment: "Anime Spotlight - 'Gundam Build Fighters: Episodes 16-20" (TV Series, 2013-2014)
Runtime: 0:39:55 - 1:57:27

05. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:57:27 - 1:58:01

06. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:58:01 - 1:59:02

07. Outro: "Closing/Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:59:02 - 2:07:09

MARCH MADNESS IS HERE! Join Gundamn! @ MAHQ in celebrating by participating in out "Battle of the Captains 2014!" Top three winners will get one of these Master Grade Gunpla!

UPDATED: March 11th, 2014
- Runners-Up: MSZ-006 A1 Zeta Gundam & AMX-004-2 Quebeley MK-II
- Grand Prize: MSN-04 Sazabi Ver. KA

Head over the link below and follow the instructions in order to participate. Cutoff for speculation submission entries is MARCH 15th, 2014 @ 11:59pm EST!!! Voting begins MARCH 16th, 2014 @ 12am EST and will continue weekly until APRIL 25th, 2014! Don't hesitate, click & enter now!
BotC 2014 March Madness Bracket: http://challonge.com/botc2014

Ask Gundamn or Leave a message:
Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Feedback & Social Networking:
- E-Mail: GundamnMAHQ(NoSpam)@gmail.com
- Twitter: @MAHQDotNet / @GundamnAtMAHQ / @CTCast
- MAHQ Facebook Group
- Forums: MechaTalk.net / Gundamn! @ MechaTalk.net
- Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324

Subscribe & Download Gundamn! @ MAHQ
- Main RSS Feed
- Gundamn! @ iTunes
- Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn
- YouTube: Gundamn! @ MAHQ / Chaos Theater / Shinjuku Station / ShinStation Fight Tube

Gundamn! @ MAHQ is a MAHQ & Shinjuku Station Joint
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Shinjuku Station Podcasting - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - ShinStation Fight Tube! - ShinStation Live!

Many thanks for listening!
@SoulBroRyu
[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
fearjunkee

Re: Ep. 140 - Gunpla's True Detective

I've got to be honest, while I like putting all the Sir Bay articles and Robot Apocalypse articles together, I'm not fond of the 'News Articles Hunger Games' idea. I don't get why it's being implemented, there's no real criteria for what's going to make the cut, and it was disappointing to find that the articles I'd submitted didn't get commented on.
Last edited by fearjunkee on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YokozunaBulldozer

Iori Takeshi.... Gunpla's Magnum P.I. who drives a Toyota Auris
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Silver_August

I too will express a lack of fondness for the new news format, if only because of the lack of criteria, not every article in the past made it on the show either, so its almost nothing new, but seemingly stricter? Eh, I wanna say this is all an effort to try and streamline the show and make the episodes shorter, if only because our 3 amigos don't have all the time in the world to record 2-3 hour long podcasts, keeping in mind that there's probably a lot that gets cut in editing or the gaps between segments.

If that's the case then I understand these changes, especially if it means new episodes will possibly come out soon? I swear this episode came out with a shorter gap of time between it and Ep. 139. If so, then I'm all for that as well.
Chris
Administrator

fearjunkee wrote:it was disappointing to find that the articles I'd submitted didn't get commented on.
Just as before, with all of our listener contribution segments, there's no guarantee or promise that just because you submit something, we're going to use it/comment on it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Victorize

Neo, I don't why you think Fellini isn't "a super strong Gunpla fighter." Yea, his Gunpla is old, but the only reason Sei and Reiji even managed to tie with him was because Sei used that CCA trick to knock him off balance so that Reiji would have the chance to use the very training he got from Fellini to get a few shots in.

Aside from Aila and Nils who use plavsky hax in addition to their innate piloting skill to win (and Sei and Reiji who have plot armor) I would say Fellini probably has the best combination of both piloting skill and strategy in the entire tournament, aside from probably Yuuki and Julian.
eanetdude

fearjunkee wrote:I've got to be honest, while I like putting all the Sir Bay articles and Robot Apocalypse articles together, I'm not fond of the 'News Articles Hunger Games' idea. I don't get why it's being implemented, there's no real criteria for what's going to make the cut, and it was disappointing to find that the articles I'd submitted didn't get commented on.
Welcome to news production. Being an editor entails choosing to run some stories at the expense of other stories. Because time and relevance.

As a listener, I'm glad Neo is adjusting his approach. I was starting to get tired of the over-use of robopocalypse stories and other stories some people were posting that had nothing to do with robots or Sir Bay or Lord King/Piers Morgan.
Kaioshin Sama

I thought the Renato Brothers talking about their war was a reference to the Frost Brothers who were always talking about trying to restart a war between Earth and the Space Army. I had always assumed that the characters were inspired by the Frost Bros so I guess that assumption was easy. Also Soulbro mentioned that there's a little Louise in Miss Caroline. Well there's actually a lot of truth to that since they share the same voice actor Chiwa Saito.
Chris
Administrator

Kaioshin Sama wrote:I thought the Renato Brothers talking about their war was a reference to the Frost Brothers who were always talking about trying to restart a war between Earth and the Space Army. I had always assumed that the characters were inspired by the Frost Bros so I guess that assumption was easy. Also Soulbro mentioned that there's a little Louise in Miss Caroline. Well there's actually a lot of truth to that since they share the same voice actor Chiwa Saito.
I don't think I buy them being inspired by the Frost brothers for their war rhetoric. During the battle, they tell Yuuki that he's been pampered and safe. Then there's their constant comments about showing the world a real war, plus Ral saying that their fighting style wasn't Gunpla Battle. That all seems to imply that there's more to what they're saying than just channeling the aesthetic of the Frost brothers.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
fearjunkee

eanetdude wrote:
Welcome to news production. Being an editor entails choosing to run some stories at the expense of other stories. Because time and relevance.

As a listener, I'm glad Neo is adjusting his approach. I was starting to get tired of the over-use of robopocalypse stories and other stories some people were posting that had nothing to do with robots or Sir Bay or Lord King/Piers Morgan.
Alright, I see your point about relevancy, but on the other side of the coin you got articles that are very relevant to their category getting passed over, which seems a tad unfair for people who are trying to stay on-topic.
eanetdude

fearjunkee wrote: Alright, I see your point about relevancy, but on the other side of the coin you got articles that are very relevant to their category getting passed over, which seems a tad unfair for people who are trying to stay on-topic.
Well, the news segment is intended to talk about mecha news and other interest stories. You may be approaching this with the wrong mindset if you're concerned about being recognized on the show.

Also, it's Neo. He misses things sometimes, he's not a pro. He takes a casual approach to the segment. He doesn't spend an hour every day deliberating the stories.

Just keep posting things you think would work great for the podcast and you'll be fine.
kayone73

fearjunkee wrote:I've got to be honest, while I like putting all the Sir Bay articles and Robot Apocalypse articles together, I'm not fond of the 'News Articles Hunger Games' idea. I don't get why it's being implemented, there's no real criteria for what's going to make the cut, and it was disappointing to find that the articles I'd submitted didn't get commented on.
That'll give you motivation to post quality news articles for submission and not just any old junk from the net. It's a good thing that Neo is instituting this.

I hope the news mailbag will follow suit and that a cap on questions is instituted per person per turn, rather than monopolizing 30-40 min of the podcasters time with a 6-10 part mailbag question. That would give more mailbag submitters a chance to have their questions answered in a semi-timely fashion and help with everyone else's listening enjoyment as well.
eanetdude

kayone73 wrote:I hope the news mailbag will follow suit and that a cap on questions is instituted per person per turn, rather than monopolizing 30-40 min of the podcasters time with a 6-10 part mailbag question. That would give more mailbag submitters a chance to have their questions answered in a semi-timely fashion and help with everyone else's listening enjoyment as well.
You mean you don't want a 12 page essay about portable video game consoles to preceed a one sentence question? Have you no manners, good sir? :wink:
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

eanetdude wrote: Also, it's Neo. He misses things sometimes, he's not a pro. He takes a casual approach to the segment. He doesn't spend an hour every day deliberating the stories.
I don't like the tone of your post, nothing is missed on my watch. But it has been stated many times that posting is not a guarantee of selection. No participation trophies here.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke