The Official Gundam Unicorn Mecha Thread Mk III

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Mecha Thread Mk III

Now that I think about it the glowy part is probably an I-field. What's a newtype death machine without an I-field.
Mythgarr

or something that makes F91 go fast. I forgot what is it called.
Visit The Dreams
Dark Duel

The thing that makes F91 go fast is called "a crapton of thrusters". The visual trick that it used against the Rafflesia(sp?) is unrelated; it is a heat-dissipation mechanism that involves shedding the outer layer of its armor, which through plot magic creates "afterimages that have mass".
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Heaven Piercing Man

Dark Duel wrote:The thing that makes F91 go fast is called "a crapton of thrusters". The visual trick that it used against the Rafflesia(sp?) is unrelated; it is a heat-dissipation mechanism that involves shedding the outer layer of its armor, which through plot magic creates "afterimages that have mass".
"Shedding thin metal armor layers" is so farfetched, just "it's too fast for the eye" sounds more believable, and I thought the "afterimages with mass" was just the Rafflesia's nav computer cameras getting confused by them, in same way dummies work (also less farfetched), but that's just me.
Dark Duel

Like I said - "plot magic".
And unfortunately, farfetched or not, that is what it is.
Any anyway, to paraphrase something I read someone here posted, I can forgive nearly any technobabble shenanigans in Gundam F91 or most other works in the franchise on the grounds that none of them are as stupid as the biosensor.

Ahem...
enough of that tangent. Let's get back to talking about Unicorn.

I seem to recall a rumor from a while back that the final form of the Unicorn Gundam would be different from the FA Unicorn. But I can't remember where I read that or if it was even sourced, and Ep6 would seem to contradict that given that it featured the FA Unicorn (which I utterly despise, by the way).
Anyone ever hear the same thing?

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
latenlazy

Dark Duel wrote:Like I said - "plot magic".
And unfortunately, farfetched or not, that is what it is.
Any anyway, to paraphrase something I read someone here posted, I can forgive nearly any technobabble shenanigans in Gundam F91 or most other works in the franchise on the grounds that none of them are as stupid as the biosensor.

Ahem...
enough of that tangent. Let's get back to talking about Unicorn.

I seem to recall a rumor from a while back that the final form of the Unicorn Gundam would be different from the FA Unicorn. But I can't remember where I read that or if it was even sourced, and Ep6 would seem to contradict that given that it featured the FA Unicorn (which I utterly despise, by the way).
Anyone ever hear the same thing?
Balofo said that it was from one of the staff's twitter accounts I think. If FA Unicorn isn't the final form (I hope it isn't), there's probably another custom armor waiting for Banagher at wherever Siam Vist is waiting.
Kratos

Somebody posted this video on the Facebook group, which seems to imply what you're talking about. It doesn't look particularly official and the guy who posted it was really vague, though.

That's literally the most I've heard about it. I don't really have much of an issue with the FA Unicorn; it makes sense in context (certainly moreso than the Neo Zeong), even if it isn't the coolest mech or if the term "Full-Armour" isn't technically correct.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
latenlazy

Kratos wrote:Somebody posted this video on the Facebook group, which seems to imply what you're talking about. It doesn't look particularly official and the guy who posted it was really vague, though.

That's literally the most I've heard about it. I don't really have much of an issue with the FA Unicorn; it makes sense in context (certainly moreso than the Neo Zeong), even if it isn't the coolest mech or if the term "Full-Armour" isn't technically correct.
Bwahahaha that sounds like MAHQ's april fools joke with that upgrade to the Strike Gundam (what was it, the Grandiose Gundam or w/e?).

The FA Unicorn certainly makes sense, but if I recall correctly the FA Unicorn doesn't last to the end of the novel. The parts are jettisonned one by one as they're used up.
Kratos

The guy who posted is also claimed to be writing a script for THE ORIGIN anime. Right after asking the group for more info on the project. So, yeah, probably not official.

But regarding the FA: I'm actually okay with the whole "stripping down" thing - hell, in the anime, it could happen when fighting the Neo Zeong! They could rip each others' extra bits apart until only the mechs remain. The FA Unicorn hasn't even seen any combat yet, and while I don't doubt Bandai's capacity to make minor design changes for merchandise, introducing ANOTHER form of the Unicorn in the final episode seems like a stretch even for them.
Dark Duel

That video is so obviously fanmade it's not even remotely credible.
Honestly, as much as I dislike the FA Unicorn, I'm okay with it being in the series, simply because the two forms we've seen of the Banshee already satisfy me as far as badass Unicorn upgrades go...Pity I hate Riddhe so much :P

latenlazy

Kratos wrote:The FA Unicorn hasn't even seen any combat yet, and while I don't doubt Bandai's capacity to make minor design changes for merchandise, introducing ANOTHER form of the Unicorn in the final episode seems like a stretch even for them.
I don't think it's a stretch, at all. Bandai loves, LOVES squeezing out every dime and nickel they can from these films, which are, to them, ultimately glorified commercials for merchanidise. They gave the Banshee TWO different forms, and even made a side story for a third unit of the RX-0. What better way for them to make people buy multiple models without having to spend money on an entire set of new runners and designs? I want to say "mark my word, the RX-0 is getting another form" but I won't. I do think it will happen though.
Kratos

If it weren't for the Neo Zeong, I would disagree, if only on the grounds that MA merchandise is so rare. But if they're willing to commit to a HG (!!) of that monstrosity...
latenlazy

Kratos wrote:If it weren't for the Neo Zeong, I would disagree, if only on the grounds that MA merchandise is so rare. But if they're willing to commit to a HG (!!) of that monstrosity...
I think after I saw them make a second Banshee derivative my mind was set that they were going ALL OUT this time. This is the OVA that got an extra episode after all, which just happens to almost be the length of two. Clearly Unicorn has been far more successful than Bandai initially planned. They're gonna milk this thing dry. And probably for years to come.
Arsarcana

I too would not be terribly surprised if they squeezed a new kit out of the Unicorn but I'm perfectly happy with seeing FA Unicorn on its own. Remote I-Field Shields seem like they would be quite helpful when going up against something with that many beam guns and it's got enough solid weapons that the Neo Zeong's own I-Field(s) wouldn't be a problem.
Heaven Piercing Man wrote:I thought the "afterimages with mass" was just the Rafflesia's nav computer cameras getting confused by them, in same way dummies work (also less farfetched), but that's just me.
My personal theory is that Crossbone Vanguard had to cut corners after they lost money in that nasty lawsuit about them stealing bits of The Imperial March. Thus, Rafflesia's sensors were unable to deal with an unexpected situation like 'Enemy MS ablating bits of itself to shed heat' so when F91 went MEPE the sensors got confused and since Not!Darth Vader was 'seeing' with the sensors, he wasn't able to effectively target the suit.

balofo wrote:Kshatriya Repaired has FUNNEL MISSILES!

http://img226.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20 ... 721030.jpg

Design redeemed.
Agreed 100%.
Dark Duel wrote:There's one other thing I'm hoping they change, but I'm not too optimistic on that one.
Let me guess:
Spoiler
Marida's death, yes?
Dark Duel

Yes, that would be it. But like I said, I fully expect to be disappointed there. Not mecha-related, however.

Personally, I still really, really don't like the Kshatriya Repaired, although it's an improvement over the what'd-they-call-it, the incomplete version that was in Ep6?
Anyway. But hey, at least it's got some pretty decent weaponry.

As for the Unicorn thing, well ditching the armaments as they're expended is perfectly logical - I mean just look at that Stark Jegan in episode 1, it did exactly that - ditched its heavy stuff once it was used up.
FA Unicorn doing that is simply a massive expansion of the same concept. I still find the design wildly impractical and aesthetically horrendous, though.
But like I said - perfectly okay with it if that's the route they go, and if they manage to at least halfway-convincingly justify a new, cooler upgrade, then that's fine by me.

balofo

LOL, Bande Desinee finally depicts the head cover armor deployed for close combat mode from the novels. This little nice detail didn't appear in any model.

http://imgur.com/g8KelQM
nacho-wan

Funny I always thought that was for sharp-shooting a la GM sniper
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Zeonista

balofo wrote:LOL, Bande Desinee finally depicts the head cover armor deployed for close combat mode from the novels. This little nice detail didn't appear in any model.

http://imgur.com/g8KelQM
That is definitely a sensor guard & not a scope. The idea is a clever detail in the "so useful it's amazing it's not been done already" category. I am rather surprised the piece wasn't included in modeling as an option part.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
nacho-wan

@Zeonista: you are right. I actually went to check that on a friend's MG Jesta. Seems like bandi designers don't get the full scoope on what they are doing sometimes.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Kratos

It's on the MG Jesta, but can't move. Which is sort of interesting, because even if its purpose isn't immediately clear, I always thought that the fact that it's a face guard was pretty obvious.