Power Rangers Skips a Season

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
AmuroNT1

Power Rangers Skips a Season

(Yes yes, zomg he made a topic about Power Rangers. :P But it's also about Sentai, so chill.)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... er-in-2015

Today, Saban announced that the next season of Power Rangers will be "Dino Charge", an adaptation of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, which ends its run this weekend. This means they'll be skipping the spy/secret agent-themed Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, which was both one of the worst performing Sentai shows in recent history and also a tribute to Power Rangers itself, using the words "Morphin" and "Megazord" and trying to go for the kind of feel the American seasons have.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Go-Busters bored me (spent way too much time on the characters as heroes and not people), but Kyoryuger has been an insanely fun ride. Of course, one factor is that we don't know exactly WHY they're skipping Go-Busters - whether it was the low ratings, poor toy sales, or belief that the setting (involving a new clean energy source) would have been too hard to write around.

Then again, maybe the fact that Kyoryuger is another dinosaur team has me worried that Saban is going to continue to slavishly imitate the original Mighty Morphin the way they've been doing since they got the license back...
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
SpideyWing

Re: Power Rangers Skips a Season

That fact also worries me; as a general trend I think several of us have noticed.

As for my opinion on the news of a season skip; I can see why the decision was made to skip Go-Busters, since Kyoryuger has a heavy focus on action in the suit footage and, at least as far as I know, has seem to have out-performed Go-Busters.

However, I wish that they didn't. I wound up loving Go-Busters very quickly, and after Beet / Stag came in, the fun jumped up more. Was Busters a perfect season; no. Still, I think it would be very easy to make a good season out of it with some effort.

(And on a purely personal level...I wanted an articulated Beet J. Stag! For he is the only figure worthy to stand with my Gundam 1/144ths)
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!
YokozunaBulldozer

Bring on the Samba-dancing dinos.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Khandri

I haven't seen Go-Busters but have seen most of Kyoryuger, but I wonder...might the former end up being something akin to an Alien Rangers situation? You know...where the suits/Rangers are part of the lore, but only showed up for a short time as allies to the main team. It would explain why they're jumping ahead to it, but it would also get around that supposed "no skipping seasons" agreement Saban and Toei have.

That said, I've seen some people say that some of the reasons they're skipping ahead are 1) Kyoryuger's dinosaur theme, because goodness knows they're desperate to milk the nostalgia (if they even so much as think about bringing Tommy back for this AGAIN, I'm heading straight to Saban HQ and slapping people around with a giant fish), and 2) the nature of Go-Busters means they'd have re-shoot a lot of new stuff, and you know how they are about cutting corners. (Yes, I know they re-shot a lot of stuff for Super Megaforce too, but they were probably only doing that because of the anniversary thing.)

I'm just surprised they'd announce this now, a week ahead of the Super Megaforce TV premiere. (It's apparently up on Nick.com already.) You'd think they were trying to bury it and hype the Next Big Thing [strike]that's probably going to suck anyway[/strike].
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
Heaven Piercing Man

They'll bring back Tommy for Dino Charge obviously. JDF has always said he'll gladly reprise the role over and over again. But I want to see some of the Dino Thunder guys return for Charge, at least the main 3 guys.
Mark-II

Well, they managed to stretch Samurai over two seasons, so doing the same with Dino Charge should be easy enough and allow them to maintain a year buffer ahead of the Sentai series of the day... I understand that GoBusters will still be used somehow, probably with whatever crossover movie footage they will salvage.

Mark-II
bvzxa23

TOEI gave Saban permission to skip Go-Busters due to lack of toy sales for the series. Go-Buster was designed with the US in mind because they used terms like "megazord" and "morphin time". However the show was actually not as "fun" but a little more serious in tone. It was a decent show and actually does not suck. However it's low rating and the say so of TOEI caused Go-Busters to get skipped.

Kyoryuger was an awesome season, almost never a dull moment. I haven't had that much fun since Gekirangers
SpideyWing

Khandri wrote:I haven't seen Go-Busters but have seen most of Kyoryuger, but I wonder...might the former end up being something akin to an Alien Rangers situation?
That would be nice, if only to get the Busters in the show, if nothing else. Personally, I think we're more likely to see the Morphin Brace reworked in some way to use a Beast Battery and that will be literally the only thing we'll be getting from Busters in Dino Charge.
bvzxa23 wrote:However it's low rating and the say so of TOEI caused Go-Busters to get skipped.
If the information I've read (from Rangerboard admittedly, but still...) is accurate, Busters actually had slightly higher average ratings than the Voltasuar Team, (but only on the order of a tenth of a percent) but Kyoryuger killed Go-Busters in toy sales; I think I read something about the sales being the highest since Gaoranger. (Gao!) That's more than likely why Toei is okay with Saban Brands skipping Buster footage; toy sales, plain and simple.

Or this could all be the ramblings of a guy who spends way too much time around the PR forums and owns way too many toys for his own good. XD
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!