Game Club: The Walking Dead

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Game Club: The Walking Dead

Ok, so the Game Club is back this year, and following Back to the Future, we're focusing on another Telltale series, The Walking Dead. As we did the first time, we'll be discussing one segment of the game in each successive episode. In this game club, we'll be covering the first season of the game, including the DLC chapter "400 Days," for a total of six segments.

We're going to be looking for comments from listeners in each episode, so this will be the place to post them. As before, we only want comments for the specific part of the game we're discussing, and not beyond. Since some people might be playing along with us for the first time, no advance spoilers. We'll let you know when you can post comments for an episode. For now, we only want comments relating to the game's first chapter, "A New Day."
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Gundam420

Re: Game Club: The Walking Dead

Awesome! Hopefully I won't be the only one to comment this time.

I'll be first to admit that I first got into the Walking Dead franchise through this game. And honestly I find it way better than the TV series. Not because I experienced this first, and not because I get to make my own choices, but because I find it better in every way, it's better written, has memorable characters, and it's actually scary. The comic book art style and the hauntingly beautiful music lends to a very strong atmospheric tale. As much as I love the Back to the Future Game it felt too linear. In the Walking Dead your choices actually seem to matter more, especially when it involves life or death situations. It was cool to encounter existing characters like Glenn and Hershel, and even Lily from the comics (even though she's a complete...am I allowed to say it on these forums?) The one thing that I'll always remember though especially from this chapter is that music piece entitled "Alive Inside" that first plays in the pharmacy.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Cultclassic

I am so stupidly excited for this, I haven't played the games before but I wanted to play them for a while. This finally gave me a reason to play episode 1.

The part that made this game different from other zombies games for me was when you talk to Clementine for the first time. She asked you what killed the babysitter and immediately after that the game says "Clementine will remember this later." It was all so real at that moment.
The Fowl Sorcerous

This series is the best thing Telltale has ever done, and one of the best things to come out the medium ever. I say this now because it might seem like I don't like it over the next few months.

The interface actually manages to turn QTEs into something more tense than a typical horror title while still functioning during puzzle solving segments. I loved this games conversation mechanic in Alpha Protocol and this just does that even better.

This episode was not entirely sure how adventure game-y it wanted to be, the characters interactions aren't as solid and the choices aren't interesting and some the puzzles feature some terrible contrivances and a decent bit of 'do it again stupid' gameplay (particularly the the parking lot sequence). This is a good introduction but there some stumbling first steps along the way.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

We record tonight, so you have until 8 p.m. EST if you want to get in any comments on episode 1.
phillosmaster

Actually this is great because I just picked the Walking Dead Telltale games from the winter steam sale and I need a reason to get me to stop playing XCOM to start The Walking Dead. Hopefully I'll be able to play along at a reasonable pace.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Dollow

Damn, I missed the first ep, I will play the first ep and post my feelings later. Been waiting for this.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Chris
Administrator

The newest Chaos Theater will be out soon, featuring the first installment of the Game Club. We'll be recording again next week, so until then you can start posting comments for episode 2, "Starved for Help." If you missed the chance to comment for the first segment, you can still chime in with those thoughts as well.
Gundam420

Ah yes, Episode 2. Probably the most unsettling episode, focusing more on the human aspect of a zombie apocalypse. While there were hard choices to make in the first game, this is the first indication that not only will you continue to make hard choices, but the choices will get harder and harder, and that the choices you want to make, may not be the wisest. I've played this game more than once and the tension, and uneasiness gets to me every time. It seems that for every good thing that happens to you, it'll always be shot down by something bad.
Destiny_Gundam

So I'm playing this game for the first time. Never got into the TV series or the comics because zombies are pretty old hat these days and generally lack variety (though the "you turn when you die no matter what" part is new to me).

I've always liked games where you influence how the story progresses so I am far more interested in that aspect. It's why I play so many visual novels. Though because of that the things Walking Dead does a bit differently sometimes throws me off. Having a time limit for choices has me making impulsive decisions more, often based on silly reasons. For example, I saved Doug because he probably knows how to put batteries in properly unlike some people. But it does feel more real this way. There are some bits where I wish I had chosen differently but instead of reloading I felt I should just live with it. I wanted to stay bros with Kenny, but after not siding with him in the latter part of episode 2 that doesn't seem possible anymore. At least I still have Doug.

Lee is a good character, but I do prefer having a blank slate protagonist. That way it becomes my story rather than his. Should come as no surprise that I play him as a relatively nice guy. Paragon 4 life!

Episode 2 got pretty tense for me as soon as it became clear something was up on that farm. Particularly when Lee goes to wash his hands and he goes upstairs. I let those brothers live because death by zombie is much more slow and painful.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

We'll be recording the next episode tomorrow at 8 p.m. EST. You've got until then to post any comments for episode 2, along with any comments for episode 1 if you missed the chance the first time.
The Fowl Sorcerous

During the Enlightenment, a long-standing debate emerged as to what was the origin of society: the family, based on filial and emotional bonds or the war-band, based on force of arms and personality. This episode highlights the arguments for both of these in the form of the bandits and the crazy rednecks and contrasts it against our protagonists who compromise between both these models, which leads to frequent schisms disorder and failure. Also, points for having people be the real problem in a zombie setting.

Rest in Pieces, Larry. You were an asshole, no body liked you, we're all glad you're dead, I'm keeping this loose change forever, it's worth more than you were.

oh hey, station wagon full of loot that appeared out of nowhere. that probably won't matter later.

Now, nitpicks:

1.Was there no way to have introduced Ben last episode, it's really freakin awkward here.

2. Electric fences are designed to annoy cows and induce arrhythmia in dumbass teenagers. Upping the amperage to the point where it paralyses a man-sized sack of meat it going to put a great deal of strain on the power source and the cable itself. Which already happening by the time the protagonists see it. Also, these people will run out of all siphon-able gas within reasonable walking range in a few weeks, they are already ranging hours from home base which burns more calories straining their limited food supply. WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK A GREAT PLACE TO STAY!? They had enough lumber available to them to turn that motel into a fortress, that farm is about a month way from being a death trap even without the cannibalism. only the Walking Dead TV characters would be that stupid.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Destiny_Gundam

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:Also, points for having people be the real problem in a zombie setting.
Does that really deserve points? I mean, pretty much every single zombie story (or disaster movie in general) aways boils down to "even though it's the end of the world, humans are still terrible to each other."
Chris
Administrator

Episode 2 has been covered, so for the next two weeks you can post any comments for Episode 3, "Long Road Ahead."
Gundam420

Episode 3. I never liked Lily (even though I tried being nice to her anyway), and this episode made me despise her for killing Carley. Lily deserved to rot in this zombified world as far as I'm concerned. It took me a long time to get through this episode due to the puzzles, and I remember on my first playthrough I encountered this bizarre glitch where I encountered Chuck twice. This episode really puts you through the emotional wringer, and to have Katjaa off herself like that was truly shocking. Of all the people in your group, she was probably one of the more stable characters. I didn't want Kenny to kill his own son, because after all no parent should ever have to go through that. The ending completely threw me off guard but made me wonder how that creepy stranger got a hold of Clem's other walkie talkie in the first place.
Last edited by Gundam420 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaldron

I've played through the game twice. First time was a "normal run", the second was my "F*** You Kenny" run.

Quick set up for "normal run" :
1) Saved Shawn
2) Sided with Kenny
3) Saved Carley
4) Feed Kids, Mark, Kenny
5) Helped kill Larry
6) Killed the brothers
7) Told Kenny we are both responsible for Larry's death
8 ) Left the supplies

On this run Lilly was completely unhinged and confronted me that I was hiding the truth. I told everyone about my past and let Duck be Robin. After being forced to flee and Lilly killing Carley, I left her on the side of the road. On the train, Chuck didn't like the plan and I wish there was an option to push Ben off train.
When it can time to deal with Duck, I managed to talk Kenny down, and because he is my friend I put Duck down. When we found Christa and Omid, I became history buddies with Omid.
In the end I helped Christa first because of the hints that she was pregnant.

Quick setup for "F*** You Kenny" run:
1) Saved Shwan
2) Sided with Larry, Lilly helped me up.
3) Save Carley
4) Feed Kids, Lilly, Larry
5) Tried to save Larry
6) Left the bothers alive
7) Told Kenny he was responsible for Larry's death
8 ) Took supplies

To start with Lilly was relatively together, and willing to let me help fully with the investigation. She said that Larry told her about my past, but was appreciative that was honest with her and that I tried to be nice the Larry. I let Duck be Robin, and told everyone my past. Kenny this time having a negative reaction.
When we fled Lilly killed Carley however I kept her with us. Nice to see Ben even guiltier. At the train Lilly escaped her cuffs, but offered to take me and Clem with her. I accepted, but when I left the RV to get Clem, she left us.
On the train, I was sympathetic to Ben. I told Chuck i didn't have a plan, and he liked that I was honest. When it came time deal with Duck, I beat the shit out of Kenny. I made him shoot Duck.
Again I became history buddies with Omid, however this time I helped him first. He was about to yell at me that Christa was pregnant when she jumped in the train.

Overall, not my favorite of the episodes. But seeing the choices play out in the different directions was great.
Destiny_Gundam

I'm not having much luck with bros in this game. Poor Doug got accidentally killed by Lily. Despite that, I still brought her along. I also shot the woman in the street too. I'm not cold blooded. I know survival is important, but if you give up your humanity and become dead inside then what's the point?

I seemed to have repaired Lee's relationship with Kenny to a degree. I talked him down and chose to shoot Duck myself. The creators were pretty sadistic making that a gameplay segment rather than a cinematic. The whole affair was pretty terrible. Katjaa was a kind woman who didn't deserve that.

I helped Omid first because he was injured. Christa was obviously more than capable of saving herself.

The bit at the end is an effective hook. Whoever that was on the other end of the radio, I don't like him. My Hansen senses are tingling.
phillosmaster

"For example, I saved Doug because he probably knows how to put batteries in properly unlike some people."

Seriously. I kept saying WTF to myself the whole time. She was being so stupid about the radio that it was hillarious.

I saved Carly because she was keeping Lee's past a secret, which was appreciated. Also she is a good shot even though she isn't smart enough to keep her gun loaded during a zombie apocalypse. I mean seriously she had bullets in her bag three feet away.

Now I regret it a bit. Doug did appear to have it together more.

Also poor Mark. I liked that guy alot more than the rest of the cast of episode 2. I didn't give him any food though cuz he missed the bird at the beginning of the episode. You had your chance to eat dude. You failed.

I gladly helped Kenny finish Larry off. That guy was causing so many problems that he was not worth such a huge risk. It was the right thing to do in that situation. Putting Clem in danger so that two non-medically trained people can try in vain to resuscitate a dead old man seemed silly. Sorry Lilly.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Cultclassic

I let the bitten girl attract zombies while I got supplies. At the time I thought it was an obvious thing to do. But while playing the game I just felt awful. Then the whole Duck part happened and my heart strings were sufficiently tugged.
Additionally, I was really trying to keep Doug alive. Is he Soul Bro's Man?
phillosmaster

I think Ben might be in the running for Soul Bro's man. At least Doug helps out (though in fairness I only saw him in ep 1). Ben is not only worthless, but he's actively hurting the group by being around. Also he pouts alot. Something about him makes me think of Sai Argyle. I want to Bright slap the guy every time I see him.

It's hard to be sympathetic to Lilly. Her plan of turtling in the motel when we were surrounded by bandits was kinda crazy. It's fairly easy for the bandits to overrun the motel as was seen several scenes later. I had to leave her after she killed Carly. I mean seriously she had nothing to go on. She was just waving her gun around at us. Nothing good was going to come from that. Also I guess my dialogue choices suggested that Carly and Lee liked each other romantically so I think that's what my Lee would have done.