The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk III

New thread, etc etc.
Wingnut wrote:One more thing I missed, well 2 kinda, actually 3. Many MS cameos (not to mention Felini's Meteor Hopper bike!) in the next episode preview of course, including V's Conto, X's Octape, Seed MSV's Hyperion, Kampher Amazing trashing some DOM Troopers, and Wing EW's Heavyarms Custom which is probably piloted by this guy seen at the party when Sei first walks in before Mao finds him.
The third being the obvious "Mission accepted" line borrowed from Heero as this week's tag line.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AmuroNT1

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk III

Just to elaborate my position from the last topic, the two big reasons I'm not a fan of Aila...

-Lalah Clone: Part of the reason I love this series so much is because it's Gundam, but at the same time it's not. Sunrise at times acts like they'll shrivel up and die if they don't make a Gundam series with a Char Clone, a Doomed Girlfriend, and all the other tropes they've beaten to death over the past 30 years. Build Fighters might pay lip service to some of these (like Yuuki being the show's "Char"), but it's still largely doing its own thing. Aila is such a blatant example of the Lalah Sune archetype that it's not even funny; if it wasn't for the fact that the show is mostly a light-hearted buddy comedy, she WOULD be dying in some melodramatic, gut-wrenching fashion. I really don't want to see this series fall into the same rut that Gundam's been wearing out for years.

-Mary Sue: She pops out of nowhere, is an instant expert at Gunpla Battle...AND is arguably the best player in the world. Yes, Reiji has some of that going for him, but he still has to struggle and earn his wins; he would have lost against the Apsaras if not for Mao using the Love-Love Tenkyo-Satellite Cannon, and he DID lose against Yuuki. I know that the heroes will always win when it matters, but at least they're making it look like Reiji needs to put forth effort to win. Aila, however, beat the former world champion off-screen and later one-shotted three world-class players without even moving her Gunpla. As for the Devil Gundam fight, I'm kind of iffy on that because it didn't have the DG Cells going for it and therefore was mostly defanged.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I would appreciate it if this didn't turn into some kind of huge fight. I really would like to know why people love this character so much, when today's episode is the first time we've seen anything resembling a personality from her.

Though I will say, I can't fault her for loving meat buns. Because meat buns are freaking awesome.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Strike Zero

AmuroNT1 wrote:Again, this is just my opinion, and I would appreciate it if this didn't turn into some kind of huge fight. I really would like to know why people love this character so much, when today's episode is the first time we've seen anything resembling a personality from her.
A: She's pretty. :wink:

B: She's a good fighter; super newtype hax or no, she proved that she can do just fine even without her souped-up Qubeley to fall back on (which happened before we even got to see her fight in the Qubeley, which was a smart move narrative-wise), and that's admirable.

C: She's pretty. :)

D: Her mobile suit is sweet; it's like somebody took the Qubeley and OBARI'd it with Tekkaman Blade or Orgun or whatever, and it looks awesome.

E: She's pretty. :mrgreen:

F: I'd say she's been likened more to Haman than Lalah prior to this point, which I'm sure is a major plus for most people.

G: OMG HAVE YOU SEEN HOW PRETTY SHE IS? :oops:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Overlord Zaru

You don't like fun things :V.

Also, Ayla is adorable my heart hnnnnngh.

Who else saw the reactions of the Star Build Strike? Mao and Thailand were totally impressed and Thailand had a wild look in his eyes saying "I GOTTA fight that guy!" I hope we get more into him, as he is a World Tourney vet.

Also, as there is a bracket, you think people gamble on Brackets the same way the NCAA tourneys brackets are used in Vegas?
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Khandri

That poor Virsago Chest Break, getting wiped out by Aila before it had a chance to even do anything...

[/bias]

(Also...woo, Octape in the next episode preview! I'm getting the feeling that someone on this show is a big Gundam X fan with how many different suits from it are making appearances...)
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
xaos

Wow, I think I made one post in MK 1 and didn't do anything in MK. II and here I am about to ask something dumb in MK. III.

What is Sei calling China Kousaka? I'm guessing it's a nickname. Is he saying "ichan?" "nicha?" I have no idea.

Oh, and I'm loving this series still. I really liked those wings of light in the latest episode.
Xenosynth

Very glad some of the more... not as loved series are getting some nice MS love. Gundam X suits, and we even had one of my favorite Funnel Spamming machines, the Geymalk from ZZ! They really need to make a model of that soon, as well as ones for the X non-Gundams >.>

Pretty good episode. I... will admit that while I normally don't like things like it, the presentation of the plavsky gate + speed mode made me love it. I really wanna see the Aqua and Rifle Discharge modes of it too. Good thing Sei took into account water as well, I was waiting for an actual battle to be in water since we have plenty of land and space stages too.
stagrider

xaos wrote:Wow, I think I made one post in MK 1 and didn't do anything in MK. II and here I am about to ask something dumb in MK. III.

What is Sei calling China Kousaka? I'm guessing it's a nickname. Is he saying "ichan?" "nicha?" I have no idea.

Oh, and I'm loving this series still. I really liked those wings of light in the latest episode.
Class President, they aren't on a first name basis yet.
Wingnut

xaos wrote:What is Sei calling China Kousaka? I'm guessing it's a nickname. Is he saying "ichan?" "nicha?" I have no idea.
"Incho" (sp?) or 'class rep'. He's being quite formal even outside of class and after all the things they've done together so far. Yes, that can be normal for the japanese, but Sei is still a tad dense on the possible relationship angle right now.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arbiter GUNDAM

He calls her Iincho (Een-cho) which means class rep or president or whatever.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

Oops, double-posted...
AmuroNT1 wrote:Just to elaborate my position from the last topic, the two big reasons I'm not a fan of Aila...

-Lalah Clone: Part of the reason I love this series so much is because it's Gundam, but at the same time it's not. Sunrise at times acts like they'll shrivel up and die if they don't make a Gundam series with a Char Clone, a Doomed Girlfriend, and all the other tropes they've beaten to death over the past 30 years.

Considering what happened with 00 season 1, are you surprised? :)
Build Fighters might pay lip service to some of these (like Yuuki being the show's "Char"), but it's still largely doing its own thing. Aila is such a blatant example of the Lalah Sune archetype that it's not even funny; if it wasn't for the fact that the show is mostly a light-hearted buddy comedy, she WOULD be dying in some melodramatic, gut-wrenching fashion. I really don't want to see this series fall into the same rut that Gundam's been wearing out for years.
I think that's the key here. So far this is just plain fun and I think that's what allows people to just enjoy her character without worrying that the trope could be actually carried out.
-Mary Sue: She pops out of nowhere, is an instant expert at Gunpla Battle...AND is arguably the best player in the world. Yes, Reiji has some of that going for him, but he still has to struggle and earn his wins; he would have lost against the Apsaras if not for Mao using the Love-Love Tenkyo-Satellite Cannon, and he DID lose against Yuuki. I know that the heroes will always win when it matters, but at least they're making it look like Reiji needs to put forth effort to win. Aila, however, beat the former world champion off-screen and later one-shotted three world-class players without even moving her Gunpla. As for the Devil Gundam fight, I'm kind of iffy on that because it didn't have the DG Cells going for it and therefore was mostly defanged.
You could make this argument for Nils as well. I think it boils down to the fact that she's not one of the main protagonists so it's not required for her to struggle, at least until she meets up with some of the other named characters. Her character is meant to be mysterious for now. WHY is she so good? My personal theory is that she's from the same place Reiji is. Yeah they said she was from the "Flana Institute" but that could either just be a lie, a reference or they found a way into Arian, or all three.

Plus there are plenty of people who like characters just 'cause of character design, just look at the Wing boys. :D

Personally, I just have a thing for mystery girls. Maybe she'll do something in the future that'll make me un-like her. We'll see.

Also, Gundam Meat Bun Fighters Album!

And guys, don't forget that Soulbro is doing a Livestream of eps. 6-10 tonight. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Amion

Oh this episode, it is so good that spoiler tags are apparently irrelevant. Normal for this show's threads.

I like Aila. I like that she's good. I like she's in a Qubeley that is simply beautiful, terrifying, and I am ninety percent certain there's a secret to those funnels, since there were no beams.

That Plavsky gate! I was cheering in fangasm! And all those cameos! However, everyone's already covered those babies. I will say that the pilot of the Geymalk seemed familiar somehow...wasn't she a lot like Junko from V? The lipstick made me think that, and of course it was unmatched...

I think Aila and Reiji might just be from the same place, wherever that is. Does that mean that maybe he's from Flanag-I mean Flana, or the other way around? Can't wait to find out.

Wait, maybe I can wait to find out, because there's plenty of violent battles ahead for me enjoy, hurra for mecha violence! :twisted:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
latenlazy

AmuroNT1 wrote:Just to elaborate my position from the last topic, the two big reasons I'm not a fan of Aila...

-Lalah Clone: Part of the reason I love this series so much is because it's Gundam, but at the same time it's not. Sunrise at times acts like they'll shrivel up and die if they don't make a Gundam series with a Char Clone, a Doomed Girlfriend, and all the other tropes they've beaten to death over the past 30 years. Build Fighters might pay lip service to some of these (like Yuuki being the show's "Char"), but it's still largely doing its own thing. Aila is such a blatant example of the Lalah Sune archetype that it's not even funny; if it wasn't for the fact that the show is mostly a light-hearted buddy comedy, she WOULD be dying in some melodramatic, gut-wrenching fashion. I really don't want to see this series fall into the same rut that Gundam's been wearing out for years.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I would appreciate it if this didn't turn into some kind of huge fight. I really would like to know why people love this character so much, when today's episode is the first time we've seen anything resembling a personality from her.

Though I will say, I can't fault her for loving meat buns. Because meat buns are freaking awesome.
I think this episode told us it's simply too early to judge how good or bad Aila's character will be. There are hints that she's not yet fated to be the doomed girlfriend in this episode, since she seems to actually have a unique side to her that isn't just about mystical power and tragedy. In comparison to her reveal, seeing that she has a competitive and interests outside Gunpla (food!) in this episode was a pleasant and surprise that added fresh layers to her character. As for how she's introduced as a bad ass from the get go and hasn't seemed to struggle, I think there's time for them to set up some difficulties for her later on. Again, just too early to tell what they'll do with her.
Destiny_Gundam

I really hadn't seen all that much fawning over Aila until this episode gave us a reason to.

Anyways, I wouldn't classify her as a Lalah clone. It's not like Reiji magically fell in love with her/made her into his surrogate sister like other Gundam protagonists in the past. She's actually pretty stable from what we've seen and her personality doesn't match any previous examples. She might have come off as emotionless at first glance, but that was soon dispelled.

People are again tossing out the word "Mary Sue" without thinking about what that actually means. Nils is a closer example because it's like his character setting was written by a 5 year old listing off things that would be cool. "He's super smart and strong and is a doctor and is young and everyone likes him and he can speak 20 languages and can bed any woman and can breathe fire and..."

Aila doesn't have that going for her. She's just a really strong fighter, which shouldn't be surprising since this Flana Institute place apparently exists to rear strong fighters. We don't know what yet, but she had to work through something. Her talents weren't given to her at birth like it appears Nils's were.

She doesn't instantly win the adoration of everyone either, indeed that president guy was pissed that some girl was brought before him. Yet Aila proved her worth by beating the current main fighter with an inferior suit.

If that really was all that there was to her character, I'd be pretty meh on her, but this episode shows she has an unexpected side. While she usually carries herself with utmost professionalism, here we see that under that she's still just a normal kid. This is what we call "gap moe," and it's quite effective.

In a broader sense, I can see a lot of people clinging to her solely because she's a powerful female character. A lot of people are starved for that sort of thing to the point where they care more about what she is rather than any specifics as to who she is. People like to go on about how Haman is one of the greatest Gundam females ever despite the fact she was a horrible person (and ignoring her entire motivation was due to being butt hurt by some men). So there's that. Though Aila hasn't done anything particularly detestable.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
latenlazy

Destiny_Gundam wrote: In a broader sense, I can see a lot of people clinging to her solely because she's a powerful female character. A lot of people are starved for that sort of thing to the point where they care more about what she is rather than any specifics as to who she is. People like to go on about how Haman is one of the greatest Gundam females ever despite the fact she was a horrible person (and ignoring her entire motivation was due to being butt hurt by some men). So there's that. Though Aila hasn't done anything particularly detestable.
(Thank You!)
AmuroNT1

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:You could make this argument for Nils as well. I think it boils down to the fact that she's not one of the main protagonists so it's not required for her to struggle, at least until she meets up with some of the other named characters. Her character is meant to be mysterious for now. WHY is she so good? My personal theory is that she's from the same place Reiji is. Yeah they said she was from the "Flana Institute" but that could either just be a lie, a reference or they found a way into Arian, or all three.
I think Nils' main problem was simply a bad introduction. In the episodes since he's been a lot better, first getting dragged kicking and screaming into the silly side thanks to Caroline and then having his balloon deflated a bit by seeing at exactly what level the world tournament operates.

But Aila...before this episode, she had perhaps three minutes' screentime total, and spent most of it being Ayanami-ish. And that was still enough for people to proclaim her the best character in the show.

Destiny_Gundam: I mainly say Aila's a Lalah Clone because she's a mysterious waif with undefined extra-normal talents, a yet-revealed connection to one of the main characters, and pilots a green-and-red machine with funnels. Plus, there was her outright quoting Lalah a few episodes ago. Perhaps "Mary Sue" is a bit strong of a term, but we've still seen her completely pwn her opponents with a minimum of effort, both in her personal machine and in a stock Jegan. As for the "moe" thing...I'm not really a fan of "moe for moe's sake".

I guess all I can really say is, Aila's starting off with negative points on my scorecard, and she's going to have to gain a lot of ground before I'm willing to upgrade her from "annoying".

(Also, I'm not really a Haman fan too. Glad to see I'm not the only one. :P)

As for the tournament format, I may be mistaken, but I think how it works is they have eight events with different formats like 4-man knockout, battle royale, 3-on-3 team battle, etc, with each entrant scoring points along the way. After those events, they tally up the points and the top 16 (or was it 32?) go on to the standard single elimination tournament.

Tho I will say, I'm glad that they're actually doing different things with the tournament. Makes me wish some of these gameplay modes would pop up in the Gundam games we actually get here in the real world.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Destiny_Gundam

AmuroNT1 wrote:But Aila...before this episode, she had perhaps three minutes' screentime total, and spent most of it being Ayanami-ish. And that was still enough for people to proclaim her the best character in the show.
Where are you seeing this, exactly? 4chan? Because no one around here has said such a thing.

It really doesn't take much to win people over. I remember how everyone (myself included) was obsessed with Yoko from Gurren-Lagann before the show even aired.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
latenlazy

AmuroNT1 wrote: I think Nils' main problem was simply a bad introduction. In the episodes since he's been a lot better, first getting dragged kicking and screaming into the silly side thanks to Caroline and then having his balloon deflated a bit by seeing at exactly what level the world tournament operates.
I don't get why people here don't like Nils but *shrug*
But Aila...before this episode, she had perhaps three minutes' screentime total, and spent most of it being Ayanami-ish. And that was still enough for people to proclaim her the best character in the show.
So is your problem with the character or the fans :P
GX9900-Gundam-X

Okay I loved the Star Build Strike those wings that shield ahhh. Aila got some characterization today nice to see she has a quirk to her and one of my personal favorites at that (love of food). Kinda wish we could have seen more of how the Papillion fights that made me sad and happy at once I mean it was cool to see it but damn almost nothing.
Also anyone notice if you look at the info text on Carlos Kaiser it says he once offically piloted a Zakrello bold move sir bold move!
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
AmuroNT1

I never said anyone around here was fanboying over Aila...I was just asking over here because I trust you guys to give honest and thoughtful answers more than the other groups I hang out with.

And it's not really a problem so much as I'm trying to understand if there's a reason people were fawning over this character other than, well, underage breasts.

Also, current personal theory is that the Papillon uses pixel bits.