The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mark II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mark II

HellCat wrote:I don't doubt there are some directors who will happily play along for a nice big pay packet (Fukuda basically admitted as such). But to say that an actual surprising, innovative story should be accepted as just a fluke or accident? That's nonsense and a huge discredit to those talents working in the industry who actually want to create such a Gundam story. Gundam's place historically might be more to do with opening the door to a new genre but I believe people want to work on it because they have genuine ideas they'd like to contribute.
You're hanging too literally on my words. What I mean is that anime staff can bring what they want to the table, but they're still limited to the confines that they have to work in versus a major corporation's profit motive. It's no different from work-for-hire comic writers/artists working for Marvel or DC. They may have freedom to do some things, but they can't radically mess with the established franchises. Gundam is no different. For as different as Turn A was, at its core it was still an Earth vs space story with mobile suits. As different as 00 S1 was, it still had some Gundam tropes and embraced more in S2. My point is this - at the end of the day, do you think Bandai cares if any particular Gundam series has a good story, or that the merchandise keeps selling? The goals of the creatives aren't going to necessarily match up with the goals of management.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
HellCat

Well after that preview I'm kind of surprised this wasn't just a fanservice breather episode, though I'm not complaining (I'm sure some are though).

Gunpla Mafia Fighters...I wish real gangsters were this easy to ward off.

Surprised to hear Sei he's already planning another design. We've not exactly had much of a showing of Build Mk-II yet, though I suppose flying around and shooting is all it can really do.

It's nice to see all the X love this series is giving.
You know, I may agree with you if you aren't one who claimed SeeD Movie should be release next year. As that's against everything you post here (draging story on just to sell toy, and director who will bent story just to sell toy (and according to internet, his personal grudge)).
What I've been saying for a long time now is that I believe next year is possibly our last chance to get it because you'll have had the successive airing of SEED and Destiny HD. Meaning older audiences would have had a refresh and newer audiences the chance to watch, meaning you'll have a revived window of interest to take advantage of which beats releasing it years after any real SEED media.

So I'm not sure how that's against what I claim to believe. The project was greenlit, nothing important came of it and now there's a tiny window of SEED revival which is probably the best and final chance if they wanna do it. Seems like common sense to me.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Destiny_Gundam

Well this episode fell into the "this children's game is the solution to all problems" trope.

China was looking great this episode (I'm super weak to those kinds of tops) and Misaki was nice too. Rinko really wants them grandkids and Reiji really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut :lol:

Best line: "She's not a gunpla." Looks like Sei is aware of her :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Xenosynth

Oh man, Mao gets some really cool moments in the episode. And that Build Mk II seems pretty damn cool as well.

Oh, and I have to wonder if
Spoiler
the real life Master Kawaguchi is pleased by his successor.
Either way, it's a really awesome idea to incorporate him into the show! I am surprised by it, and I really hope that the actual person appears and voices himself.
Spoiler
I love the Fun to Build Gunpla series of tutorials he has been doing xD
HellCat

You know that went completely over my head, but now you've highlighted it I agree. If any show could give him a shout out it's this one.

Speaking of, can anyone place what series (if any) this week's preview was a reference to?
Kuruni

Hmm. Tatzuo look like Dozle so much from the angle he get out of that car, not so much afterward. Jamil-eh...Mr.Kato's defeat at start of the episode is also pretty funny, anti-climax in good way.
HellCat wrote:So I'm not sure how that's against what I claim to believe. The project was greenlit, nothing important came of it and now there's a tiny window of SEED revival which is probably the best and final chance if they wanna do it. Seems like common sense to me.
That's right, corperation making money is normal and indeed is common sense. Thing is, you seem to ignore that common sense and insist that they should do it more for art and less for money in this thread, which is ideal but hardly has ground in reality, at least that's my impression.
My girlfriend was a loli.
HellCat

Kuruni wrote:
HellCat wrote:So I'm not sure how that's against what I claim to believe. The project was greenlit, nothing important came of it and now there's a tiny window of SEED revival which is probably the best and final chance if they wanna do it. Seems like common sense to me.
That's right, corperation making money is normal and indeed is common sense. Thing is, you seem to ignore that common sense and insist that they should do it more for art and less for money in this thread, which is ideal but hardly has ground in reality, at least that's my impression.
Noooo...my argument would be that putting the pursuit of wealth over a semblance of any artistic integrity will create shows which are creatively and emotionally bankrupt and which in turn will only lead to trouble. Look at BF itself- alot of it's popularity is for referencing existing Gundam shows and giving them either a hearty salute or cheeky joke at their expense. The audience (at least the older part of it) is directly reacting to the strong emotions they have to pre-existing Gundam stories and characters. If BF was a non Gundam show that was trying to sell plastic models with the same basic story but no beloved history to keep referencing, would it be getting as much attention and praise? I doubt it.

I'd really be interested to hear directly what Japanese kids make of/take away from the show.
Raikoh

Funny that they got their service shots out of the way ASAP and then moved straight into the meat of the episode. Combine that with Sei and Ral's reactions to China and Rinko in swimsuits and I'd say that the staff is fully aware of what people were thinking when they saw "beach episode."

One more thing: I'm such a huge nerd that I noticed Mao humming "Dreams" when he was cleaning the wall. Lots of Gundam X love in this episode.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
balofo

balofo wrote:10 bucks the shadowed Tallgeese from the OP is the one who damaged the Fenice in the past.
Right in the money
Zeonista

HellCat wrote:I'd really be interested to hear directly what Japanese kids make of/take away from the show.
"Wow, gunpla are really kewl! I am gonna buy a Gundam model, build it, and watch the anime it was in!"
At least that's what I-and-Bandai-are hoping they will take away from watching the show. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

@HellCat: No matter what the studio's intent, there will always be writers/directors who can work within those restrictions to produce something great. I wouldn't worry too much.

Why the show works for older fans is probably all the references. If that were removed they'd probably complain more about it being stupid and kiddy. In regards to the kids, they eat these kinds of shows up. Just look at how many Yugioh and Beyblade shows there are.

Shame this episode wasted the chance to see the girls in the hot spring.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
PowerdGNFlag

HellCat wrote:You know that went completely over my head, but now you've highlighted it I agree. If any show could give him a shout out it's this one.

Speaking of, can anyone place what series (if any) this week's preview was a reference to?
Lines from the immortal Gundam song Ai Senshi (it's right before the "I pray, pray to bring near the new day" line.) Remembered something similar from the Andrew WK version (What would they have to commit to? How much would they leave behind?).
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Overlord Zaru

Hai

@Xeno

I am lost on the Kawaguchi thing. Is he supposed to be some IRL Gunpla expert or something?

And I do concur on the SEED movie. Next year will probably be the last chance, but given how the remasters are selling and that the fans are STILL voting Kira in the top 10 newtype poll after over a decade you would have to be an idiot not to ignore the signs. Next year is their last window, and it could coincide with the Unicorn flick, raking in dough.

@Raikoh

He was? I did not catch that!

@Destiny_Gundam

Which is why this show should be making bank. You got the HGs coming in for every Gunpla shown in show in which model builders will eat up, kids will be interested in the Gundam series thanks to how cool the Gundams look and the action, and the older fanbase loving everything.

I love this show. Such a breath of fresh air from the Grimdark war drama of AGE.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Shame this episode wasted the chance to see the girls in the hot spring.
Perhaps, but at least we get this. It's no wonder why Ral's so interested. Gunpla must really be powerful to tear Sei's dad away from that. Of course, it's not just for show. Or maybe it is? I did not like the colors on that DX at all. Rinko's not gonna stop until both of them say "I do". However, her son will need more help then her would-be daughter-in-law.
Raikoh wrote:One more thing: I'm such a huge nerd that I noticed Mao humming "Dreams" when he was cleaning the wall. Lots of Gundam X love in this episode.
I missed that at first, but a second look confirmed it. Also cameoing this episode were a wall clock made by Anaheim Electronics, Kati and Sumeragi? We had Patrick earlier, so why not? Ral's truck is a real thing, and what do you do on a beach but bury someone in the sand? Bury him as a mobile suit!

And once more. China being all flustered and cute.

Mao also got many times more dangerous this episode too with being able to charge the sat cannon without needing the moon. All while fighting for the girl he has a crush on.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Strike Zero

I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't get to see Reiji throw down with the sharks; seeing as how he's easily worked over a guy twice his size before, I'm sure he would have done just fine. BUT! A two-on-one against Apsalus III is fine too. It's a shame the Build Strike is still in for repairs, otherwise Sei could have gotten in on the action too. Oh, well, maybe next time.

And I LOST it at the post-credits stinger. "Kawaguchi" is going to be 'effing amazing. :lol:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
angelwingzero

I'm betting Mao's ability to charge the Satellite Cannon without the Moon is tied to his Plavsky manipulation abilities, though it seems like a double-edged sword as well. Also guessing Sei and Reiji are going to have to learn their version of Plavsky manipulation to get to the next level.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
iCards

Mao's Gundam X does more than Accelerator's reflection. It apparently can manipulate the "Plavisky Particle" enough to fire the Sattelite Cannon without the moon. This seemed to be the biggest relevent point of the episode for me. The whole set-up for the battle fell into yu-gi-oh territory, but it was a pretty amazing fight.

"Kawaguchi" gets a new Gunpla in the form of a custom Kempfer hopefully it dosen't get taken down in 5 minutes like the original did.

DX and 12 G-Bits become the newest victim of a curb-stomp battle this week.

Next week some awesome customs show up Sengoku Astray, Hyaku Shiki, a Tallgesse III. Looks fun.
yazi88

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Shame this episode wasted the chance to see the girls in the hot spring.
More like a shame we didn't see RAL in the hot spring! :twisted:

Probably the best episode featuring Ral as of yet. His combined dialogue with Sei on the beach was priceless and possibly the best original punchline in the show so far.
Deathonator

I'm actually the most interested in what this New Gunpla Sei is supposed to be building will be based around. Also, how many swaps these two will be going through before the end of it all- not even 10 episodes in and it's looking like at least 3.
Khandri

Even if the Double X and the G-Bits got completely curbstomped, that whole fight had me howling with laughter. I just about fell out of my chair when I first saw its "pilot" too. Bless you, Build Fighters, for showing so much love towards Gundam X. You know how to make this fangirl happy.

Also, Mao is quickly becoming my favorite character in this show, since he's practically me in many ways. :P
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...