The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mark II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mark II

Reiji's explanation...I'd wish for something else but at the same time I get the feeling they're just going to leave it there until
Spoiler
others from Reiji's world start appearing for ill or good "You really ARE from another world!" "Yeah...I told you so weeks ago, right?"
Probably the weakest episode so far, mainly because the humour and story lost out to the commercial push.
Are we supposed to laugh at the old school fans chanting 'SIEG ZEON'? I was a bit unclear on that. I really don't want the show to support the more territorial old school Japanese fans.

The Gunpla as art thing worked for me, though again it was hurt a bit by how much everyone in this episode spoke about Gunpla. Sei actually felt one note in that respect this week, so hopefully they can give him a bit more character than being an obsessive Gunota.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Strike Zero

Reiji's story of his origins is some of the silliest, made-up BS I've ever heard in my life.

Thus, I have positively no doubt that it is all 100% true. :wink:

I'm glad to see Sazaki is making more appearances. That guy is the best. :mrgreen:

And wtf, there's an Old Timer's Gunpla club now? Made up entirely of Zeon remnants?! I love this show so much. :lol:

Next episode marks the debut of Gunpla Idol Kirara~☆! Who, now that I think about it, will probably China's designated rival. Will be waiting to see how that bit plays out.

EDIT: Ya know, a weird yet slightly plausible thought just crossed my mind:
Spoiler
What if China IS Kirara? Like, in her free time she dons a wig and goes around performing on stage with a tube top? That would be crazy. :shock:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
HellCat

Let's leave China to be the sweet intellectual, artistic girl.
Amion

HellCat wrote:Let's leave China to be the sweet intellectual, artistic girl.
Do lets.

I laughed at the old timers and their Zeon chant, at least Reiji was clueless as anyone would be. Maybe like our world, MSG came out in the beginning and all those guys grew up building Zeon models? That, or they really are from MSG and this is what they do when the shows finish, hang around the city and fight with plastic miniaturized versions of their old machines they used on set. :P

I'm going to say now that I believe Reiji's story, it sounds like they just want to get his weirdness out of the way and he did mention his kingdom's name in the first ep. That, or it really something tragic and he's flowering it up to make himself feel better, and not terrify Iori. But I doubt that highly in this show as plausible.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
yazi88

Ral should've stuck to the Gouf Custom, or maybe he later might use a Custom Gouf? :)
domtropen

His Gouf may not even be hguc Gouf judging from the drawing style [but hguc normal Gouf is pretty bad itself]. May even be the old 1/144 Gouf from MSG time [in that case it is really suck compare to modern gunpla - old style plastic joint, two piece body, etc hence the odd way it moves in the anime and how the shield is attached].

The old boy http://robot4less.com/image/cache/data/ ... 0x1000.jpg

hguc http://www.jjj-shop.com/jjj/Image/Gunda ... AI_NIB.jpg
Last edited by domtropen on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Khandri

I'm probably about the only one who giggled at the very brief cameo of the Septem from Gundam X showing up during that old-timers Gunpla battle.
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
bullethead

I loved Reiji's crayon flashback (there needs to be more of those, because this one was hilarious) and the return of Sazaki (even though it was only a cameo, really). It's pretty clear most of the flashback was BS made up on the spot to make Reiji look cool, so it would be funny if they kept having him change the story and then go all Elim Garak on us at the end by saying all the lies were true.

Also, they really needed to explain what was up with Ral's Gouf at the beginning, because I had no idea it was one of the terrible original model kits from Gundam's first run with no joints except for the hips and shoulders. To the uninformed, it looked like Ral was just a terrible fighter.

As for the Zeon club, Kuroda has been known to piss on some of the sacred cows of Gundam in his writing, so it's definitely a case of "laugh/cringe at this group of old farts cosplaying as Zeon guys and taking it super-seriously."
HellCat

I'm not sure why people are calling the backstory a string of lies. It's far fetched but actually consistent if you look at it. Plus Reiji is so straight talking I struggle to believe he'd intentionally lie, bar the slight possibility
Spoiler
we discover he's not the prince of said world but a thief who stumbled upon the 'treasure' during an attempted theft
Mythgarr

Such a high density of MS types in a non-war gundam anime...
Visit The Dreams
bullethead

HellCat wrote:I'm not sure why people are calling the backstory a string of lies. It's far fetched but actually consistent if you look at it. Plus Reiji is so straight talking I struggle to believe he'd intentionally lie, bar the slight possibility
Spoiler
we discover he's not the prince of said world but a thief who stumbled upon the 'treasure' during an attempted theft
It's mostly because Reiji seems to have a bit too much knowledge and control of conditions that have him transferring between worlds. He could have a great poker face, but he seemed way too nonchalant when he turned into a bolt of lightening and went back to his world for a guy who literally just showed in up the BF world the day before after supposedly crawling in a cave.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

For starters, I don't buy Reiji's story any more than Sei does. But I loved the way he owned those Zeon remnants with just a Ball; Shiro Amada would be proud. I'm pretty disappointed with Ral's in-ring debut, as well as with the screen time Ricardo Fellini and his Wing Gundam Fenice got.

I did like how this ep focused on other characters and how the main players inspired them to take up Gunpla.

Edit: Did anyone else catch that Ral reference about Reiji owing his success to his Gundam and not to his own piloting skills?
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
ninshadow

This is episode was hilarious from Reiji colorful explanation to the Zeon remnants.

Did anybody catch that Wing Gundam Fenice Builder was Graham's voice actor?
SpideyWing

Okay, so I just got a chance to sit down and watch the new episode, (work plus having a super serious discussion with one of my Physics Professors about video games) so my apologies if my thoughts are a little disjointed.

First off, the opening: Still a lot of fun, it's so corny yet heartfelt at the same time. For some reason, I think it's perfect for the show.

First half: Reiji's backstory, as it stands right now, pretty much confirmed everything I thought after last week, except the royalty angle. Additionally, the fight with Ral's Gouf was both fun on a meta level, and moreso for me, since I was thinking to myself about how it looked too odd to be an animation error. Then Ral mentioned that it was a re-release of the first Gouf kit, and I smiled. I'm getting a kick out of these little references they're sprinkling without it effecting the story that much. I think my favorite part of the first half was Reiji fighting against the Zeon nerds, since he was clearly having a Ball. >:D

Second half was dominated by the Full Package, and boy it delivered. I really like the look of the kit, and the fact that Sei did not complete it overnight makes it more realistic. Though I wonder, is the entire pack (in-universe) scratch built? If so, I have to give him major props for that.

All in all, I enjoyed the episode a lot; it was a world-builder of an episode. It showed us that Gunpla Battle is spreading around the world (still clearly a video game analogue, which is nice) while allowing us to see the characters interact and give us some good action.

Now time to see if I can develop my own perfect Gunpla: Wing Zero with the Hi-Nu's Funnel system and have it still be transformable! You know, for science. ^_^
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!
Destiny_Gundam

Strike Zero wrote:EDIT: Ya know, a weird yet slightly plausible thought just crossed my mind:
Spoiler
What if China IS Kirara? Like, in her free time she dons a wig and goes around performing on stage with a tube top? That would be crazy. :shock:
This was suggested before, and I highly doubt it. Her unfamiliarity with gunpla is shown to be pretty genuine in this episode, so her doubling as a 'gunpla idol' (I assume a 'gunpla idol' is familiar with gunpla) is unlikely.

I agree that this episode feels rushed. Like there was a big chunk missing out of it. One minute Sei's building the Full Package, the next he's already fighting in the tournament.

It did a fine job fleshing out China, though. Her becoming interested in gunpla felt pretty natural.

The old MS dude club is equally funny and saddening. Both because it would totally happen in real life. Hell, it probably already exists. Bunch of old guys, being all proud that they were fans before it was cool, getting all pissy at some kid for never building a gunpla before, cosplaying and seiging. You know people do this.

As for Reiji's story, I have no reason to think he's lying.
SpideyWing wrote:Though I wonder, is the entire pack (in-universe) scratch built? If so, I have to give him major props for that.
It is.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dark Duel

Khandri wrote:I'm probably about the only one who giggled at the very brief cameo of the Septem from Gundam X showing up during that old-timers Gunpla battle.
Nope. I haven't even seen the ep yet, but I'm alreading fansqueeing at the idea of seeing the Septem. And the real LOLworthy part is that judging from a screencap I saw over in the mecha thread, it's fighting a Prototype Dom. So a Dom expy(the Septem) is fighting a prototype version of its progenitor. :lol:
Have not yet seen the ep yet, but I will be back when I do.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
bullethead

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I agree that this episode feels rushed. Like there was a big chunk missing out of it. One minute Sei's building the Full Package, the next he's already fighting in the tournament.
It's probably how the building montage was spliced with Reiji's club battle.
SpideyWing wrote:Though I wonder, is the entire pack (in-universe) scratch built? If so, I have to give him major props for that.
It is.
It's really funny that Sei's scratch built pack is so similar to the Atkatsuki's. I know the guy is a major Seed fan (all of the kits in his room are from Seed/Destiny), but you'd think that he'd come up with something a bit more original.
Wingnut

domtropen wrote:His Gouf may not even be hguc Gouf judging from the drawing style [but hguc normal Gouf is pretty bad itself]. May even be the old 1/144 Gouf from MSG time [in that case it is really suck compare to modern gunpla - old style plastic joint, two piece body, etc hence the odd way it moves in the anime and how the shield is attached].

The old boy http://robot4less.com/image/cache/data/ ... 0x1000.jpg

hguc http://www.jjj-shop.com/jjj/Image/Gunda ... AI_NIB.jpg
Here's the Gouf Ral uses.
Aside from the elbow on the right arm being the same as the left instead of rotated 90 degrees like the old one, it matched almost perfectly to the ancient piece of plamo that's probably older then I am.

"I'm gonna violate y-*BLARG*!"
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Proteus

i feel its abit rush too, i think it would be better to split this episode into 2 then we wouldn't have to off-screen some of the battles. Would really like to see the fenice more then just couple of seconds, im sure we'll see more in the coming world tournament but still.... Also the ball fight with each individual zeon fanbois r also off-screen, he apparently won each of the fight yet not a single clips of it winning, we only got to see it get trash after being gang up 5 on 1, bummer.

Other then that its a pretty solid epi, lol at ral being all cool monologing mgs style but the truth is his gouf is just an old crappy kit. :lol:
Dark Duel

Top shelf in Sei's room, in order from left to right: Aegis, Duel, Buster, Blitz, Calamity, Forbidden, Raider, Abyss, Gaia, and Chaos. I LOL'd.
I LOL'd even harder at Reiji's crayon exposition. Reminded me of Rukia Kuchiki's crappy drawings in Bleach.
And it seems Mr. Ral gives me something to laugh about every time he shows up.
Other than that…well, it seems that Graham Aker is Italian now.
Also, Reiji stomps.
But, as much awesomeness as was packed into the Build Strike FP's début, my favorite part other than the foreshadowed eventual appearance of one of my top two favorites in the BF line so far (the Build Gundam MkII) had to be the entire thing with China Kousaka and her own decision to take the plunge. Now I just can't wait to see her KILL THINGS WITH CUTE.

I'm less interested in what's-her-name the idol from next episode, beyond mild curiosity at just WTH kind of Gunpla she would use.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."