Log Horizon Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Overlord Zaru

Log Horizon Thread

An anime based on an MMO with players trapped? Not quite so. For the players of Elder Tales, the new hotness of the MMO genre, has somehow transported it's players into a fantasy world like Elder Tales.

The game has become reality!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YbdCLaqZfU

Unlike a certain other anime based on an MMO-trapper, this one doesn't seem to have the issues SAO was plagued with. This one seems like more substance than sizzle. Plus, it was done by Maoyuu Maou Yuusha's author.

Oh, did I forget to mention the MC is a caster-support character? I always liked that, as I did with Horizon.

So, you all hyped?
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Ryujin

Re: Log Horizon Thread

This is one of the shows on my 'To Watch' list for the upcoming season.

Can't really comment on it at this point, as, with most of the other upcoming shows I intend to watch (even K-la-K), I've deliberately avoided active discussion and am "going in blind" so to speak.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Because Sword Art Online is really popular and some anime are just that blatant. :D (sarcasm)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Amion

Now officially on my watch list. I didn't care for what SAO devolved into, this looks right down my ally, being fantasy. :)
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Overlord Zaru wrote:Unlike a certain other anime based on an MMO-trapper, this one doesn't seem to have the issues SAO was plagued with. This one seems like more substance than sizzle.
And how exactly did you arrive at that conclusion from just the trailer? If anything, the video made it look like all sizzle and no substance.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dark Duel

The entire first half of the video to me felt like I was listening to Rage Against the Machine in Japanese. It was sort of weird.
Having said that, this anime looks kinda interesting. Might give it a look-see.
Different from anything I've personally seen before.

On a tangentially related note, I have actually NOT seen SAO. Is it any good?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Dark Duel wrote:
Hmm SAO...I will say this concisely as I can (and will probably fail), the concept is REALLY interesting and the first 4 episodes are actually very well done and set up a very interesting world, with characters with a lot of potential and seeming endless possibilities...and we get a half baked romance, the most wish full-filling character since Superman, more time jumps then Les Miserables, and typical anime cliches (loli, harem, tsundere, unnecessary fanservice, OP characters, ect) .

But the music is pretty great, the animation is well done (especially the boss battles) and it is really cool to see how the everyday things work in a virtual world. Seriously, if nothing else, watch it for the fights and how technical the world works.

Its one of those anime's that, to me, are fine to pretty good when you first watch them...but after repeat viewings they kind of start to lose their charm and the flaws start to stand out. But it is still a fun series, despite all that. But it has a lot of wasted potential, especially in the character department.

Sword Art Online isn't as bad as the haters say it is...but it isn't as good as the fanboys/girls say it is. Overall, a very average score.

But as for Log Horizon...I see some very optimistic people here. Which is surprising since I can't tell heads or tails about the show from the opening. I can't say I am a huge fan of the art but I may wait on it and see if it is any good....which I guess means I shall be lurking around this thread for awhile!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Overlord Zaru

Soma Taozi wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:
Hmm SAO...I will say this concisely as I can (and will probably fail), the concept is REALLY interesting and the first 4 episodes are actually very well done and set up a very interesting world, with characters with a lot of potential and seeming endless possibilities...and we get a half baked romance, the most wish full-filling character since Superman, more time jumps then Les Miserables, and typical anime cliches (loli, harem, tsundere, unnecessary fanservice, OP characters, ect) .

But the music is pretty great, the animation is well done (especially the boss battles) and it is really cool to see how the everyday things work in a virtual world. Seriously, if nothing else, watch it for the fights and how technical the world works.

Its one of those anime's that, to me, are fine to pretty good when you first watch them...but after repeat viewings they kind of start to lose their charm and the flaws start to stand out. But it is still a fun series, despite all that. But it has a lot of wasted potential, especially in the character department.

Sword Art Online isn't as bad as the haters say it is...but it isn't as good as the fanboys/girls say it is. Overall, a very average score.

But as for Log Horizon...I see some very optimistic people here. Which is surprising since I can't tell heads or tails about the show from the opening. I can't say I am a huge fan of the art but I may wait on it and see if it is any good....which I guess means I shall be lurking around this thread for awhile!
Couldn't have said it better. Well done Soma.

Yes, SAO gets a ton of love mainly because it is a wish fullfillment show and isn't embarassed by it. It embraces it and it's still one of the top shows/LNs in Japan right now. Oh, and don't forget Deus Ex Machina in the anime(which the LNs do explain).

Anyways, I'm hyped and postive about this why? The author of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is the creator, and the LNs and anime for Maoyuu was very well done and smart. Plus there will be a focus on factions and politics as players establish power bases. Plus, George Nakata(Alucard from Hellsing, Kotomine from the Fate series) is voicing the cat dude, so I'm reasonably stoked for that.

Plus, no harem antics! There are OTPs everywhere, with one love triangle between Shiroe, Akatsuki, and some other girl. Plus even Tank-bro gets a waifu. Thus it gave me that Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere feel. In fact, it would be Horizon-lite.

Funny, two of my favorite shows have the name 'Horizon' in them.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Destiny_Gundam

Overlord Zaru wrote:Yes, SAO gets a ton of love mainly because it is a wish fullfillment show and isn't embarassed by it. It embraces it and it's still one of the top shows/LNs in Japan right now
Not really. There are lots of so called wish fulfillment shows out there that aren't as popular as SAO. So there's obviously something more to it than just that.

At any rate, I agree it's a bit overhyped, but there's nothing particularly offensive about it. If you're curious, give it a try.

Looking at the description for Log Horizon, though, it says that it's about game players being sent to a world similar to the game, rather than them being trapped within the game. As such comparisons to Sword Art Online aren't very apt.
Overlord Zaru wrote:Plus, no harem antics! There are OTPs everywhere, with one love triangle between Shiroe, Akatsuki, and some other girl. Plus even Tank-bro gets a waifu. Thus it gave me that Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere feel. In fact, it would be Horizon-lite.
You do know that a love triangle is one girl short of a harem, right? They share much of the same tropes. And if that's another shot at SAO, SAO barely had any harem antics in it at all (due to the fact that the girls rarely had any screen time together).

If it's like Horizon, it'll be a total cluster- mess, then? Hopefully the protagonist isn't as obnoxious as Horizon's was. He made the show unwatchable for me.

The bit about the OTPs is the only thing that stands out to me and it makes me wish Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei would get a damn anime already.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Overlord Zaru

And it's out.

And turns out the players have been transported to a fantasy world, where they can use their abilities. Shiroe, Natsugu and Akatsuki are looking to be a promising trio. Shiroe reminds me of Ovan from .hack.

Also, new characters from other nations? Yep, it has shades of Horizon-politics.
Ryujin

The author really loves his fantasy economics...and useless meat.
Overlord Zaru

Useless meat is always good meat. Especially Marielle~

And good thing about this series? No love triangles. OTPs everywhere like with Horizon.
Compass

I picked this up over the weekend. I must say that, given its premise, it'd feel like .hack or SAO. But it doesn't give off any of that. Arguably, it reminds me a lot of both my MMO experience, and the economics/understanding behind Spice and Wolf and Maoyuu.

That, and the fact that the second season is out, means that the backlog of burning through a single season is quite enjoyable.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
teslashark

Ryujin wrote:The author really loves his fantasy economics...and useless meat.
I know this is necro - the author is a she!
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Lord Dearche

Overall I'm enjoying the franchise as a whole, but it does have it's downs at times. Such as the useless training arcs with the younger characters. Overall the series is very hit or miss. Log Horizon is essentially far mroe enjoyable to those who are familier actual MMO games and mechanics. I know a lot of people who got turned off by it because it wasn't some SAO clone with a gary stu, or .hack where none of the mechanics or what we're seeing is ever fully detailed. It's also great that it's sticking true to the source materials, and even going far and beyond in good ways to detail and explain evnets and such that the source material tended to skip a few times.

I need to catch up. The last time I kept track of the show was at the end of the Leonardo episode. Curious if Shiroe2 has shown up yet. She's in the opening so she should be somwhere in before this season end.
zetatype

Oh hey forgot this thread even existed. Well as a whole this season hasn't been quite as good as the 1st one but its still very good. One thing it did manage to do better is the noobie/trainee arc for this season. I'd say the only major blunder of this season is that fact that they compressed the volume about Kaname into one episode. From what I've heard they could have easily made 3 episodes out of that volume.

Anyway, kinda sad this season is coming to an end, because there is not nearly enough material for another season at the moment. There is also the concern that we may not get another season. I don't know if this true but supposedly Kadokawa wasn't impressed by S1's sales and as a result they cut the budget for S2. So unless Kadokawa is pleased with S2's sales we may not get a third season.

On the plus side the light novel is supposed to come out state side in about a month.
Compass

I feel like this did character development way better than SAO did in its anime. Cutting out all the internal dialogue and explanation from most of SAO really made some concepts seem deus ex machina.

Also, not having a huge harem helps.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Lord Dearche

The major difference is that SAO is entirely about Kirito for 99% of it and his harem and gary stu Hijinx. LH while Shiro is the MC, she's not the center of the world or even most important person in the series.

Hell, SAO was just a one shot that kept on dragging on beacuse fans liked the original, so the author decided to make up more random things. Log Horizon literally just started as some concepts the author put on 2ch one day, and much of the community loved the ideas she had so she decided to make it into an actual work.
Ziryab

Finished the first 26 episodes. Leaning more towards the dub, partly because the voice style they chose for catdude makes me giggle and reminisce about the old days of MMOs.

I do think it has some of the same flaws that SAO is being called out for. It's not strong, but there is a bit of a harem there with a three or four women pining over Shiroe. And though Shiroe's not an uber-fighter type (I like the fact that he's a support role class) he's a nigh-unbeatable tactical and strategic genius.

But most of this may change for the better in the second season/series.

Yet I'm digging it, mainly because of it's socioeconomic with politics angle to whole trapped-in-a-MMO scenario. And it has some nice mysteries to bring you back for more. Can't wait for the second season on dub.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Lord Dearche

There's really no Harem. It's just 2 girls that have an interest in Shiroe, but in the case of Shiro he's not really interested in such matters as relationships. Plus the show and Novels pretty much give it away that Akatsuki is really the only possible interest. The other girl, the annoying kid whose name I never remember is just there to add tension, but inthe end she's not really any sort of threat. Doesn't help her that Akatsuki's pretty much officially the heroine of the story. You'll see her specific arc and her further relationship with Shiroe in Season 2's start.

Unlike SAO, LH does a much better job of giving it's other characters proper screen time and development. It doesn't entirely focus on Shiroe even though he's the MC.