Ep. 50: Iron Man 3 & Star Trek Into Darkness

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 50: Iron Man 3 & Star Trek Into Darkness

Chaos Theater Ep. 050 - "Iron Man 3 & Star Trek Into Darkness"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 225 mins, 24 sec. (3:45:24) 103.18 MB

Special Guest Host(s): Neo Lorrnoke & Soul Bro Ryu

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:45:41

02. Discussion: "Iron Man 3"
Runtime: 0:46:32 - 1:54:11

03. Discussion: "Star Trek Into Darkness"
Runtime: 1:54:42 - 3:27:44

04. Outro: "Audible recommendations", and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 3:28:12 - 3:32:37

Chaos Theater hits the big 50 with its longest episode yet! Gundamn's Soul Bro and Neo join us in this massive crossover special. After discussing what we've been up to, we get into the nuts and bolts of that cursed podcast movie, Shane Black's Iron Man 3. It's off to space after that to dissect J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness. If you haven't seen either of these movies, it goes without saying that massive spoilers are contained within. Finally, we end the show with our Audible recommendations. Next time, we're visiting Studio Ghibli again to discuss their non-Miyazaki films.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Giorgio by Moroder" from Random Access Memories by Daft Punk
"Science Fiction Double Feature" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show by Richard O'Brien
"Lose Yourself to Dance" from Random Access Memories by Daft Punk
"Fragments of Time" from Random Access Memories by Daft Punk

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
NastyNate

Re: Ep. 50: Iron Man 3 & Star Trek Into Darkness

Neo and soulbro? Nice gundamn in disguise! I'll probably give this one a try today. I was a big fan of both of those movies so I'll probably post my agree and disagree of yals review later. :D
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
yazi88

I actually thought that Iron Man 3 was going to be a Gundamn segment, but this is cool too cause we can also hear Pedro's thoughts on it.

Congrats on episode 50! Aim for 100!
kayone73

Wow Neo was in a rage this episode.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

kayone73 wrote:Wow Neo was in a rage this episode.

Not rage at all, I'm just completely dumbfounded on the acceptance of mediocrity that Into Dumbness is receiving. Especially from people (not to be named) who are normally hard and nit picky on other movies, etc that are not as much of a mess as Into Dumbness.

Just on the normal basis of coherent movie, Into Dumbness fails and no amount of individual performances is going to make the movie good as whole. In addition, if I want to see accurate portrayals of the Star Trek in movies that are structured as a movie is suppose to be, I'll watch the movies with the original in them.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Blackbeltsam

I more or less agree with both reviews.
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
NastyNate

Finally finished the review. On the level of passion by the reviewers about how bad Star Trek is I'll hold my arguments to what was said :D
However, I saw Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness pretty close together and I enjoyed Star Trek much more. I saw it in Imax 3d and this movie took me through an awesome ride I really really enjoyed. I'll be picking it up on day 1 most likely. It'll complete my trilogy of the first movie and the ps3 game. I saw it with a group of people that where not Star Trek fans and they all enjoyed it. I might see it another time in theaters before it goes out. Thanks for the review.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

The Fowl Sorcerous

Iron man 3: that was spectacular I will watch it every christmas right before Die Hard until the end of time.

Trek into Dumbness: It's interesting that we have a new form of badness for Trek on film. It's just dumb and contrived, rather than the nonsense you'd see in 5.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

NastyNate wrote:Finally finished the review. On the level of passion by the reviewers about how bad Star Trek is I'll hold my arguments to what was said :D
I don't know man, you've shown some questionable tastes recently. :shock:
NastyNate

Chris wrote:
NastyNate wrote:Finally finished the review. On the level of passion by the reviewers about how bad Star Trek is I'll hold my arguments to what was said :D
Your right! I really enjoyed Voyager and the Star Trek movie tie in game is one of my favorites of the year. As well as Star Trek Into Darkness was one of my favorite movies of the year. :D I'm a weird one that's for sure. Come to think about it I never watched Star Trek 1 because everyone says it was bad, maybe I should watch it. I might really enjoy it. :twisted:

Destiny_Gundam

Neo is right about the Bay thing. People are just biased like that. Abrams is put on a pedistal by the fanboys and they convince themselves that he can do no wrong. So they'll also convince themselves that Into Darkness is great because how could Abrams not make a great movie? Whereas Bay is pretty widely reviled, and everything he does goes to crap, etc etc. Even stuff he has minimal involvement in suffers from this. Just look at the reaction to the Ninja Turtles movie. Bay is just a producer and had no hand in writing or directing the movie, yet it's all his fault the Turtles are "ruined."

So yeah, if people thought Into Darkness was directed by Michael Bay, they'd never shut up about how much it sucks, even though those same people are saying how great it is because of Abrams.

Though Bay did write some of Transformers 2 due to the writer strike, so it's not that off to blame him for it.

BTW, I've been listening to the show since the start and I haven't taken advantage of the Audible offer. Yet the Otter has done nothing, so I'm calling his bluff.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
tHeWasTeDYouTh

did someone say that No Country for Old Men sucks???

I am telling Bask to get the G3 ready and after that colony laser!!!!
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Chris
Administrator

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:did someone say that No Country for Old Men sucks???

Don't you know? It's Neo's favorite movie of all time.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:did someone say that No Country for Old Men sucks???

Yeah, I did. Awful, overrated piece of S.

And thank you, Peter, for understanding my example about Sir Bay and having the courage to comment about it.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jcncasval76

FYI: Ben Kingsley's birth name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji, and he is considered as Central Asian (which includes Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh). From what I've read from other internet source, Kinglsey himself was aware of the stereotype of the character Mandarin and other Asian characters in general, so he specifically instructed the make-up crew to just glue full range beard instead of the original look via comic book. Although I have not seen the movie at this point (may wait til the Blu-Ray comes out later this year), from what I can tell is Kingley's verson, which is just a front for the real villain, was absolutely brilliant. Also, this narrative have to comes out: "I am Iron Man" in the first movie, "the suit and (Stark) is one", and now "suit or not, (Stark) will always be Iron Man".

As for the fanboy complaints goes, let me bring you another example: When Les Miz came out, I saw a few fanboys complaining about it's not the musical and too much scenes (mirroring the non-musical version of the title a decade earlier played by Liam Neeson & Geoffrey Rush), I was none too happy about that as I have been fully aware of merging the musical with the motion picture since the beginning. Although I felt Russell Crowe sounded like a robot when listening to the soundtrack, I had second thoughts about that as Crowe actually captured the relentlessness of Javert in his acting while sang for the first time in his movie career.

With regards to Star Trek: Into Darkness, I would actually substitute with Justin Lin (Director of Fast 5 & 6) than Michael Bay on the helm, at least he would push the storyline with much faster pace than J. J. Abrams had done. However, what Bay would have been doing with this movie would be endless fire fights in space.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Berserker 8

I enjoyed both movies, although I did have more fun watching Star Trek. Also I thought Chris' point about a flashback to the Eugenics War would fill in more as to why he is such a villain. I preface all this by saying the only Star Trek I have seen before this movie was the 2009 movie and minor references to Spock Facts for glances of information about the franchise.
Amuro, Char, Spike, and Lelouch just have to be alive, they are alive right? , right... ?
Mu La Flaga

Iron Man 3:
Ok so where to begin my thoughts on Iron Man 3 are mixed, I did end up liking this movie on the same level as the first Iron Man movie.
Since as it's touched on in the discussions it has alot of interesting bits but here are some bits I am going to put out there.

Ok so firstly, in reguards to the Mandarin, I was ok with the twist on him, BUT the thing I've heard discussed is, what made him standout in comparisson to the other Extremeis powered lackeys of his?

This is what I had hoped would happen with the Mandarin was, the Rings would've actually the Infinity Gems so that it would be easier to believe if Thanos has the Infinity Gauntlet.
And instead of like 10 gems, it would've been 4 and thus not so crazy to keep track of.
In the end it's just some bitter old friend of Tony's who managed to get this Extremeis tech of his working.

Also War Machine is Iron Patriot, ok as I posted in the Iron Man 3 movie thread, I had my own little theory, maybe for a time Tony agreed to make a second Mark 2 armor and loaded out for the US government to make use of, but nope it's War Machine in new colours and slightly different loadout.
I do wonder after the incident on Air Force One they will go back to War Machine colours, due to that whole incident occuring or not.
I mean the PR friendly version of War Machine brought down Air Force One,
probably a good idea to forget about Iron Patriot.
I do wish Tony got to do a little more in his suit this time.

I do understand SBR's concern over if Tony comes back as Iron Man or not due to how his circumstances changed by the end.

In the end I did enjoy this movie, I do have some nitpicks on it or small issues as I noted.

Star Trek in to Darkness:
I will say this much, the movie overall I enjoyed but if you stop and think about the plotholes or bits of potential setups it missed, it is rather annoying and silly how they did that.
But to put it out there, I thought Admiral Marcus as the villain was the more so central villain and Kahn was just dragged in to things, but as noted.
It's never said why Kahn is a bad guy per say.
Although here is a random thought, I wonder if the Federation would salvage or rebuild and make use of the Vengance?
It didn't go kaboom after the torpedoes detonated in the cargo bay.
I did like the fight of Kahn vs Spock and a Vulcan Nerve Pinch begins to genuinely hurt Kahn.

I hope there is a sequel, but I hope a better team takes up the sequel for the writting.

Chris wrote:
Hey Chris he aint the only one who likes Voyager :P
Chavelo

Only recently got to see Into Dumbness, so I finally got to listen to this episode! I think for me Honest Trailer's take on Iron Man 3 summed up how I felt about it.

As for Star Trek. Yeah some of that was quite worthy of the "Into Dumbness" title. But I think it's like someone said in the podcast, probably Soulbro, the performances of the actors are what made the movie enjoyable. At least if you ignore a lot of things.

Am I the only one that thinks that it would be incredible to see a series on the Eugenics Wars with Benedict? I would love to see it in the same format as Sherlock. But that seems like a pipe dream.

Either way. Good episode. Fun to listen to all of the rage. xD