Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
CloudFF7

Re: Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out

Scorpio from Gundam Wing(Battlefield of Pacifists), and Sid from Gundam AGE are similiar, both are unmanned mobile weapons whose purpose is to be a guard dog for an asteroid that contains something important inside. Both also made their first appearance in manga format.
teslashark

teslashark wrote:Just watched the documentary Trinity and Beyond several weeks ago. Because of the title, I thought about the Trinities of OO. It seems, they might be named so because of the atomic bomb, or Spectacular Destruction in Bill Bryson's words, instead of the Catholic allusion.
The three units are not really interlinked, and the crew assemble no Father, Son and Ghost. What they are good for are extremely showy destrucion of facilities, bases and pretty much anyting that looks "better" after a GN blast.
Just found out:
Crossroad is possibly another surname named after a nuclear test. Operation Crossroad, the one that sunk Nagato and Pennsylvania (oldmeme: Prinz Eugen is not sinkable :twisted: ).
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
nacho-wan

teslashark wrote:Hi, this shark is back.
Just watched the documentary Trinity and Beyond several weeks ago. Because of the title, I thought about the Trinities of OO. It seems, they might be named so because of the atomic bomb, or Spectacular Destruction in Bill Bryson's words, instead of the Catholic allusion.
The three units are not really interlinked, and the crew assemble no Father, Son and Ghost. What they are good for are extremely showy destrucion of facilities, bases and pretty much anyting that looks "better" after a GN blast.

Dude I just saw your post and it came to me that the "O"s in the title are not only the place holders for the GN Drives, but a reference to the infinite symbol (the sideways 8). which kind of makes sense considering the unlimited power featured by both the 00 raiser and the quant
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Kuruni

What?! I alway though people deliberately miscall 00 as OO because it's of this obvious referrence!
My girlfriend was a loli.
teslashark

Kuruni wrote:What?! I alway though people deliberately miscall 00 as OO because it's of this obvious referrence!
In China, we call this show... Gundam Balls, ey.
Kratos

I only recently realized that "Cosmic Era" is a perfectly acceptable translation of Uchuu Seiki - and arguably more literal than "Universal Century".
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Mythgarr

Aegis, Justice, Saviour, and Infinite Justice being Pink (or coral, take your pick) is an homage to Char's colors since Kira and Athrun are rivals.
Visit The Dreams
PowerdGNFlag

A couple things from my rewatch of 08th MS Team and 0083:

-The three thugs that beat up Kou in Von Braun seem to be visually inspired by Judau, Beecha and Ilno.
-The Ez8 seems to be the first lead Gundam to have "default" red eyes.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
BrentD15

NOTE: I hope bringing this from a few pages back doesn't count as "necro-posting." :oops:

After watching Gundam Unicorn episode 3 again, I just realized how much the crests for both the Laplace Colony and the Principality of Zeon are similar to each other! :shock:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Arbiter GUNDAM

On a recent re-watch of Macross DYRL, during the scene where Hikaru, Minmay, Misa, Kaifun and Roy are all captured by the Zentradi, I FINALLY noticed that Roy had a Strike Pack on his Valkyrie! MIND BLOWN.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

This is something I noticed a while ago, but when I first discovered it it definitely applied, so here it is.

So, the guys behind Blazblue really love their references. A LOT. For instance, let's look at the moveset for Izayoi, the "super mode" version of Tsubaki Yayoi:

-Crusade Seraphim
-Valkyrie Astraea
-Aegis Blade
-Noir Edge
-Strike Fall
-Mirage Thruster
-Freedom Justice
-Justice Phorizer
-Slaver Trans-am
-Judge of Destiny

Notice anything particular? :P

While we're on the subject, here's the move list for the cross-dressing Amane, voiced by Akira "Athrun" Ishida:
-Ninpu Sengeki: Hariken
-Jūken Dageki: Gekiren
-Chōjū Rengeki: Raibu
-Tensō Rakugeki: Gosei
-Chōjin Kaihī: Zettō
-Kyōryū Tokkō: Seijū Rensōkyaku
-Kaizoku Senkō: Gōkai Rasen Renpa
-Jakutoku Meika: Gōhahōyō

If you don't get those references, just follow the links. :P
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
teslashark

AmuroNT1 wrote:This is something I noticed a while ago, but when I first discovered it it definitely applied, so here it is.

So, the guys behind Blazblue really love their references. A LOT. For instance, let's look at the moveset for Izayoi, the "super mode" version of Tsubaki Yayoi:

-Crusade Seraphim
-Valkyrie Astraea
-Aegis Blade
-Noir Edge
-Strike Fall
-Mirage Thruster
-Freedom Justice
-Justice Phorizer
-Slaver Trans-am
-Judge of Destiny

Notice anything particular? :P

While we're on the subject, here's the move list for the cross-dressing Amane, voiced by Akira "Athrun" Ishida:
-Ninpu Sengeki: Hariken
-Jūken Dageki: Gekiren
-Chōjū Rengeki: Raibu
-Tensō Rakugeki: Gosei
-Chōjin Kaihī: Zettō
-Kyōryū Tokkō: Seijū Rensōkyaku
-Kaizoku Senkō: Gōkai Rasen Renpa
-Jakutoku Meika: Gōhahōyō

If you don't get those references, just follow the links. :P
They still need a dendrobium or a meteor.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Maharaja Karn had his older daughter Marlene Karn become Admirald Dozle's mistress!!!

also Haman Karn had two sisters
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
YazanGable

YazanGable wrote:Also, I'd have to look up the episode of Ideon again (was running a few when I caught this) but spotted something that I came to realize turned up in 08th MS Team as a reference.
In one of the episodes, the Buff Clan launches a three-wave attack on the Solo Ship.
The names of each attack wave:
-Topp
-Dell
-Arth

Will get screencaps later once I remember which ep in the run it was.
Finally got around to getting a screencap of the scene in question:
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll12 ... 5f8093.png
The subs romanized the names more phoenetically, but again, safe to say 08th MS Team was making a reference here (unless both were making a reference to something older, anyway.)
tHeWasTeDYouTh

"Not G3, that stuff's is deadlier than VX"

I never knew!!!
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
AmuroNT1

Here's one that got me the other day.

As I've already established, I am both a Tokusatsu fan, and a geek when it comes to actors and voice actors. So of course, there's a lot of crossover there thanks to actors making cameo appearances in later series; for example, Wakana Matsumoto, who played the saintly Belldandy-esque big sister in Kamen Rider Den-O, turned up in this year's Kamen Rider Wizard as a cynical con-woman who uses her looks to get money out of suckers. Or when Engine Sentai Go-onger's Black Ranger showed up in this year's Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger as the murdered best friend of THAT team's Black Ranger.

But this one really got me. In Kamen Rider Double (an awesome show everyone should watch, even if they aren't normally Toku fans), we have a character named Watcherman, who's a goofy be-afroed blogger who acts as an informant and "ear to the ground" for our detective Rider. Only yesterday did I learn that the actor who played Watcherman was Nasubi, best known as one of the first reality TV stars ever (and I learned of him originally through Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. Funny world, eh?).

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susunu!_Denpa_Sh%C5%8Dnen
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Khandri

^ Tangentially related, I did quite the double-take when I was watching Kyoryuger a while back and realise that Torin, the team's bird mentor, is voiced by Morikawa Toshiyuki, best known for voicing Sephiroth in the more recent Final Fantasy games and Shagia Frost in Gundam X. Now it's impossible to take that character seriously, and a part of me keeps wondering when Torin is going to backstab/double-cross the heroes.
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
AmuroNT1

Let's not forget the episode where Torin told the team to "bravely cut the cheese", and even they were stunned at hearing "that magnificent baritone" telling them to fart. :)

...Oh, the possibilities that could be achieved with editing.

Kyuzo Aoi

Amuro, Watcherman was also Chronicle Asher's VA, right?

And, take this. The guy who portray Kamen Rider Zolda voices Orga Sabnak in Seed. That and the bazooka thing.
I am a Gundam!
balofo

Raysta is an anagram of Astray