Attack on Titan Anime Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yazi88

Attack on Titan Anime Thread

Since no one made a thread, I thought why not.

This is one of the more anticipated shows in 2013. I've actually just started to read the manga myself. Pretty brutal and kind of depressing show. Its like Muvluv/Blue Gender, except instead of Aliens we have giant humans, and instead of robots we have swords attached to gas powered grappling hooks.

I've also head somewhere that the guy who did the manga is friends with the guy who created Muvluv, can anyone confirm this?

Also, the opening is FREAKING AMAZING!!!

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this show?
Last edited by yazi88 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougCos

Re: Attack on Titan

I was reading the manga a while back and for whatever reason stopped. It is a good manga and I was glad they are making an anime since the grappling hook combat, if done well, lends itself to animation.

I watched the first episode and thought it was okay. It was mostly exposition, so it was a bit slow but it is definitely interesting enough to lure in people who have not read the manga.
Amion

Dark is an overused word I think, next to "useless". But Attack on Titan is absolutely dark, grimdark even. One particulary thing of note is that main protagonist relies on the female lead for help, rather than the other way around. This changes after the big reveal about him (gosh that's practically a spoiler) but even so she's highly competent.

So far, my only complaint is that the character artwork is kinda wonky.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Strike Zero

Amion wrote:(gosh that's practically a spoiler)
To bad the board doesn't have anything even remotely resembling a spoiler tag function, huh?

Anyway, I just saw the first episode, and it was insane. I mean, Jesus Christ, where is Getter Robo when you need him?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Amion

Strike Zero wrote:
Amion wrote:(gosh that's practically a spoiler)
To bad the board doesn't have anything even remotely resembling a spoiler tag function, huh?

Anyway, I just saw the first episode, and it was insane. I mean, Jesus Christ, where is Getter Robo when you need him?
That was supposed to be a bad joke, really.

And I know! This looks like a job for a mecha! Maybe they should start digging, I here giant robots tend to be found underneath the ground a lot.

Saw episode two. Not following the plot at all. That might actually be a good thing, though, since we get a ton of development for the main characters. I loved how the giant Titan blasted through the other wall and spat a jet of flame from its mouth. It didn't do this in the manga, and frankly should have given its nature.
teslashark

If you go into 30-40 chapters of the manga, maybe you'll thinkGiants are the equivalent mecha. Just like "I can save you as a pilot" in so many series, here we have "I can save you as a Pseudo-Giant".
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Amion

Yes I've finished reading the manga up to its current chapter. I have to wonder about the latest plot twist though. Regardless it's a good mechanic to have, considering the power of the Titans.
Spoiler
The monkey interests me the most right now. He's either the leader that one Titan was talking about, or someone high up. The way he speaks makes me think he very well might be.
kayone73

Zombie apocalypse type story except substitute the zombies for cannibalistic mindless giants. Terrifying & creepy, and so far I like the anime.

Really dislike the 'Engrish' title tho. At first I thought the manga was about future human colonists on the moon Titan being attacked by giant humanoids, so I thought it would be a sci fi horror series.
Antares

Yeah I agree that the title didn't much prepare me for what I actually watched. But nevermind, it looked like an interesting setting, although I already hate the protagonist for being a clichéd angry boy. I liked the girl character, though. Am interested in seeing more.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Yep, I am watching this show too...mostly because of the opening and because the animation makes my eyes happy!

But episode 4's ending... :shock:
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amion

Soma Taozi wrote:Yep, I am watching this show too...mostly because of the opening and because the animation makes my eyes happy!

What's going on in episode four right now? No need to avoid spoiler's I'm caught up with the manga's latest chapter, but don't have time to watch.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Amion wrote:
Soma Taozi wrote:Yep, I am watching this show too...mostly because of the opening and because the animation makes my eyes happy!

What's going on in episode four right now? No need to avoid spoiler's I'm caught up with the manga's latest chapter, but don't have time to watch.
Spoiler
Training finishes...Erin stands on the wall with his friends who have joined the recon forces. He smiles, thinking, "Humanity now has a chance to fight back...and we will win..."

Then... BOOM LIGHTING STRIKE, huge Titan appears, kicks a hole in the wall that blasts Erin and company off wall. They latch on and some start to panic.

Erin gets pissed off, orders everyone to stand and fight, draws his two swords, grapples up the wall. And faces the massive Titian with a 'friendly', "Hello there, it has been 5 years."
The episode was perfectly paced, and slow to build towards a massively exciting cliff-hanger...this series might come out to be my favorite mix of both character and action this season (with Garganta winning characters and Valvarve winning action)
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
iCards

This is the episode that got me "fully" interested.

The cliff at the end... wow, just wow.
YokozunaBulldozer

Reading the manga and loving it. This title is definitely a must watch for this year.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Amion

Watched the latest episode. Very good, the soundtrack is above and beyond anything I envisioned. So far, I still have a couple of minor complaints. For the most part it all meshes together well, but I wish Annie had been given the dark circles that she was drawn with in the manga. It gave her a more dull, forgettable and bored look.

I also don't mind the flashbacks about training camp actually coming ahead of the Trost battle. It gives more clarity into who the characters are. It was a nightmare piecing together who was who in the middle of a vicious battle, with flashbacks popping up to tell the backstory.

Anyone else find Sasha hilarious? I haven't seen a quirky, funny character like her in ages. Her love of meat also has a backstory just so you know. It's kinda sad really, that her love of it isn't explained until later. But that's a sidenote. I cannot wait until next week. The coming episodes will have far, far more shockers in them. :wink: So stay tuned!
tHeWasTeDYouTh

hell yeah this show is awesome, watched all 4 episodes today(along with Gargantia)

I thought the show would have more gore, like people being eaten and ripped apart but they do not show that.

also they need to make some guymelefs from escaflowne to fight the giants
Last edited by tHeWasTeDYouTh on Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Amion

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:hell yeah this show is awesome, watched all 4 episodes today(along with Gargantia)

I thought the show would have more gore, like people being eaten and ripped apart but they do not show that but it is ok

also they need to make some guymelefs from escaflowne to fight the giants
If you want gore and vivid depictions of people being placed in the Titans' mouths and being crushed, and then regurgitated as burning bones, I suggest you check out the manga.
PowerdGNFlag

Just caught up on the manga, and while the art style may not work out for some (especially for the early chapters) it's a great read (and the art gets better).

For the rest who are following the manga, any conjectures on where the anime will end/pause, given that it will have 24-26 episodes?
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Amion

They could actually reasonably do everything in the anime that happens in the manga. I can't think of any arc that currently would take overlong. It all depends on how long they want to make the Battle of Trost and the other battles. If they take
Spoiler
a very long time with Eren's transformation and trial, that could be problematic, as well as the Annie arc taking forever for dramatic effect.
I would hope they move passed the battles quickly after Trost, so they can get everything in. Now, all my hopes fall on whether or not the latest arc is wrapped up fast, or ends with certain individuals escaping to wreak havoc another day...
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Episode 5 is awesome!!!! it blew me away

I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen and it turned out I was completely wrong
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!