Galaxy Kikotai: Majestic Prince

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

Galaxy Kikotai: Majestic Prince

Because nobody else made a topic, here is a topic for the upcoming hirai-faced mecha series!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=14971
wielder

Re: Galaxy Kikotai: Majestic Prince

The first episode is available now and this seems like a pretty entertaining show so far. Don't really care for the art style, for obvious reasons, and the characters aren't anything special at all but I also didn't dislike them. More importantly, the mecha action was good and will likely remain the main point of interest.

The plot will win no awards for originality either, but it seems serviceable and relatively laid-back. The character interactions were usually fun too. By the way, the soundtrack was also pretty nice.
Last edited by wielder on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Zeino

I liked it. Yes there are some stuff that doesn't make sense (hopefully only for now) but these teenagers seem to be spirited, likable and none of them have become pilots by the trope of accidentally falling into the cockpit! And that is almost a miracle for a mecha series!
It still might be bad, but I believe I will stick with it until end at least.
Last edited by Zeino on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
yazi88

I find it quite amusing that each of the characters have their own personal team of mechanics. The fact that the mechanic team for the sniper mech were macho dudes that kept flexing were hilarious.

The launching of the mechs from their pods was pretty interesting cause I don't recall any other mecha anime that has the motherships launch pods and from that launching the mechs.

I'm gonna keep my eye on this show for the time being. That and the fact that there really isn't anything else airing on Thursdays that interest me for the time being.
vindKtiv

I thought I'd post here so anyone on the fence about whether or not to pick up the series might get an overview from another angle. My verdict? Try it.

I enjoyed it. The humor was welcomed, and even though it wasn't packed with laugh out loud scenes but I still had a smile on my face throughout. Definitely some "cringey" sexual humor, with a prime example being when
Spoiler
the guy asks for lollipop that the instructor was sucking on
, but that didn't bother me too much.

Other than that one cockpit scene that literally looked like it was ripped straight from Gundam Seed/Destiny, Hiraiface didn't bother me at all. I also enjoyed the action scene a lot and wasn't bothered too much by the CGI, though I admittedly do not care as much about animation and looks as much as plot.
likable and none of them have become pilots by the trope of accidentally falling into the cockpit! And that is almost miracle for a mecha series!
Definitely agreed. I'm kind of sick of plots where the main pilot just happens to be at the right place and at the right time and just happens to be able to competently pilot the mech and overcome the adversary with a lot of luck. The idea that the Rabbits team was trained from the start to be pilots makes a lot more sense.
Spoiler
The fact that they are the lowest scoring team also adds to the humor.
Strike Zero

I gotta say, I liked this. Though they started out terribly in terms of combat, these five guys are the perfect team when it comes to comedic value. :D

Unlike most people, I have no problem with Hirai's style (in fact, many times I was nostalgically taken back to the days of Scryed). The CG was nice too -- very fluid, dynamic and well animated. Good show!
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
T0-burnth1sHeart

Loved it. This is the best season of anime i've seen. I'm planning on following this and just about every other series this season, 'specially devil survivor. Can't wait for the next episode.
Zeonista

Watched episode 1 yesterday. So far I am definitely liking it! There is a genuine team dynamic. Despite being 5 distinct individuals, their individual efforts make for a unified action. Which is probably why Cool Visor Sensei picked them, instead of the team which scored the best in the regular exam. I also liked how the main hero starts out even doubting himself (along with his comrades) but mans up and takes on the aliens. Mecha-wise, the mecaha-carriers-cum-hangers-cum support ships really work , and they all have their separate crews, too! These are hero robots, naturally, so they kick much alien butt, but they do it very well, with lots of "fireworks" moments to sell the butt-kicking. And of course there is the continuing character style of Hirai Hisashi to provide life to the cast. (Johnny play, Johnny play, Johnny play, I'm hot for teacher.) So I'll definitely be following this one. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Mythgarr

Watched, liked it, kinda hoping this is a new Gundam series.
The team is a perfect comedic team, hopefully they will have their backgrounds explained.

And that sniper mecha...it's head is cool ;)
Visit The Dreams
Amion

This show grabbed me immediately. Though there is comedy, somehow it manages to obtain some realism in the fluid combat, like they have to maneuver with their verniers to get around, different from must about everything I've seen so far, except maybe Macross in some cases. Also, the opening and ending hint there is more drama and development to come besides the humor, a lot of promise indeed.

Edit after watching episode one: Star Fox! That's what this anime reminds me of, Star Fox! I didn't realize until I saw the pilots' introductions in the beginning.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Those facial expressions, man. Never seen Hirai face look like that before!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Amion

I hope that means you like them. :D

Ah, first episode. Definitely good first ep, I really like the main character (still not sure about the name). Maybe it's because he kinda quirky, which isn't unusual for main protagonists, yet he comes off as slightly different, fitting into a more unique mold. We'll have to see though, because he's got that stereotypical "I wanna be a hero" issue.
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah. They're rather amusing.
Amion

They are indeed, it definitly adds charm to the show. And what about the op? I loved it for its own sake, but it really doesn't fit in with the rather laid back part of the show. Any ideas on whether it will be growing serious over time?

Speaking of which, has anyone here actually red the manga?
T0-burnth1sHeart

There's a manga of this?
Destiny_Gundam

Eh, the opening is too low key for my tastes. I much prefer something high energy like Valvrave's.
yazi88

T0-burnth1sHeart wrote:There's a manga of this?
The manga is the source material. Although I've never heard of it till this anime. Then again, people don't really care about mecha manga, its even more niche than mecha anime.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Watched the first two episodes. It does not grip me. I think I'll take a pass on this one.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Zeonista

Episode 2 was fun in watching the results of unintended heroism. Our Heroes get to be media darlings in true current idiot-TV fashion until the Enemy Ace arrives and shows them up as the lucky n00bs they really are. (My favorite bit was the one reporter calling Hottie-Sensei "manager". :lol: ) Oh well, live and learn... The mecha side of things continued to be good, with the fight/flight reflex being inconvenient again, and the actions of the tech crews in getting the two hangered mecha into the fight.

Destiny_Gundam; This show is going to deliver high-energy action, to be true! However, the character development of the team is going to share screen time. Since Gargantia also had a mostly-calm episdoe 2, don't be in a rush to make comparisons. As for the facial expressions, well, when Hirai's characters are allowed to have more than 1 emotion per episode they can be very expressive indeed! (Why no, I am not pointing a finger a a certain notorious sequel anime. Honest!)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Eh, the opening is too low key for my tastes. I much prefer something high energy like Valvrave's.
I can respect that. To me, it honestly varies from show to show and in which direction I woke up in bed, or which bed.