JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Series One (Anime Series)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Series One (Anime Series)

This last episode really impressed me. Stroheim is a ham. Did he really think he could contain the man inside that cage. Speaking of, exactly what is this guy's name.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Silver_August

Unless I'm wrong, the guy just adopts te name he was given to by our insane blondey
kayone73

Amion wrote:This last episode really impressed me. Stroheim is a ham. Did he really think he could contain the man inside that cage. Speaking of, exactly what is this guy's name.
The first of the Pillar Men was named Santana by Stroheim.

http://jjba.wikia.com/wiki/Santana

The next two are named Wham and Cars, both 80s bands

I've never read the manga and seen only the OVA series before, its cool to see a young & cocky Joseph Joestar in his prime, before he becomes the old man in Stardust Crusaders. Also he's a much more interesting character than Jonathan Joestar.
Ryujin

Not to mention AC/DC. Santana's basically the most junior of the four.

Can't wait for the scene where the narrator enumerates the abilities of the 'ultimate life form.'
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Silver_August

They better... I REALLY was getting nervous because I called Battle Tendency ending at Ep 26 and then I realized... alot of animes are doing season breaks...even Magi surprisingly capped at 25... but UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHH!! That teaser makes me cry a lil because its like...Jotaro is RIGHT THERE he looks cool! It looks like they made his proportions more...logical!

This was the best anime to come out in years honestly...its fun, It's honestly FUN to just... watch, enjoy, have your heart touched, your funny bone tickled and just... its shameless pride and love of itself, of the medium, of art, or just... omg this anime was so much fun to watch.

My 17 turn 18 year old sister would watch it with me every Sunday and we both got hooked! Her favorite episode is when Ceasar died...that's probably mine too but an anime that by no mean tries to appeal to women..atleast early on, got her hooked because the characters were SO well defined, developed and just..fun!

But I saw this coming...if only because Part 3 onward things REALLY change in terms of Stands completely replacing Ripples, but...I don't want to wait! I want to see how THIS anime of THIS nature interperates Stands, we ALL know it's coming but....seeya in the fall I guess? Oh god they're probably going to make each Part going forward its own season...damn it!

Also I like that they made Joseph's hair white instead of blonde...makes alot more sense to me, and I love how the last scene before the credits is him putting a tape in a SONY walkman... just like the last scene in the OVAs

It's coming...but Fall 2013 can't come soon enough now...

Thank you JoJo, for 26 weeks I was able to count on always being entertained on Sundays when I watched the episode....now I need something else to fill that gap because my bar has been raised.
Amion

Well, I for one don't mind waiting until fall, it's nice to have a break. And I enjoy manga as much if not more than anime....but Jojo was so well animated I..I agree, it can't come soon enough. :(

And then again, it had better stay true to the manga, because Magi was a DISASTER. The art style in the manga is a bit wonky at times, but hey, its story telling was way better and had more impact in its fighting scenes.

Unlike that though, the animated version of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure seems excellent and true to the story.
Silver_August

I'm just ...really really curious how they're gonna do Stands, because one thing this Jojo had over all the other animations and games is...the style. rarely in most episodes was a scene actually in proper colors... infact it's had me at the point where I'm not entirely sure WHAT Joseph Joestar's default color pallet is supposed to be.

BUT that detail lives of to the Bizarre, it added to the madness going on, and stylistic ehading, truly expressive characters unlike even the OVAs which...had basic shading, coloring, and expression/acting.

I think the only flare I can personally recall if the infamous "ZA WORDLO!"

Like I just cannot wait to see how THIS series does the Poker scene with Darby and having Jotaro give the guy a heart attack.

If theres one thing I'd want them to keep from the OVAs though its the sound when the Stands summon...I just really love that ghostly jet airplane almost sound.

it is a bit unfair that they never said To Be Continued at the end but...we know its coming. I just love the way Jotaro's character model tooks...

And the Magi anime sucked? Hmm might be good to know, I only got to episode 2 and had to stop just cuz I could never find the time to keep up because I fell really behind, so good to know!
Amion

Silver_August wrote:
And the Magi anime sucked? Hmm might be good to know, I only got to episode 2 and had to stop just cuz I could never find the time to keep up because I fell really behind, so good to know!
Hold it there, August. The reason that I don't like the anime is because it doesn't follow the story. The anime only covers the first seventy or so chapters, and drops all the epic battles and fights with either bad choreographing or simply altering events to fit twenty five episodes.

Actually, Magi is one of those stories, the kind that at first seems slow and unexplosive, and it is at first. Then it throws in the apacalypse, hyperbeam throwing giant magic creations, superhumans, a complicated but reasonable magic system focusing around a Force-style mystic structure that gives a pretty descent reason for the shounen philosophy for not killing and other such tropes. It has plenty of body, with very high stakes and some of the best action scenes I've viewed in a loooong time. Nothing bleach or one piece does quite compares.

And one of the characters has a gripping backstory that is still a highlight and worth reading. Gasp, sorry for the rant, I just haven't found anywhere on the net to talk about it. No one seems to know much about Magi yet, but they will, I'm sure. It has its flaws of course, but so does everything.
Silver_August

Ohhhhhhhh okie no no I thought u meant the anime adaptaiton was...awful, I mean surely they're doing the same thing as jojo and just ending for the summer and coming back in the fall? Or did it end without any indeication that its going to continue? Unlike Jojo...cuz otherwse I have something to watch while I wait for jojo to continue!

Because it has become an evident treend that I wanna think they're doing to avoid filler? I dunno, but iwth jojo its like uuuuuuuuuugh..cuz theres still 20 years of content to adapt, lol

Either way I fell behind in Magi with a desire to watch it just...watching 20 episodes quickly to catch up is a chore but witht he pause...hey I can catch up now!
Amion

Silver_August wrote:Ohhhhhhhh okie no no I thought u meant the anime adaptaiton was...awful, I mean surely they're doing the same thing as jojo and just ending for the summer and coming back in the fall? Or did it end without any indeication that its going to continue? Unlike Jojo...cuz otherwse I have something to watch while I wait for jojo to continue!

Because it has become an evident treend that I wanna think they're doing to avoid filler? I dunno, but iwth jojo its like uuuuuuuuuugh..cuz theres still 20 years of content to adapt, lol

Either way I fell behind in Magi with a desire to watch it just...watching 20 episodes quickly to catch up is a chore but witht he pause...hey I can catch up now!

Whatever you do, don't watch the anime.

Edit: yeah, it looks like they plan for a second season, but I'd consider it an insult to the storyline, if perhaps not the manga itself. If they planned for a second season, they could have easily done everything according to the story and still ended at the same time they did with a vastly superior product of storytelling and action. The only thing good about the anime is that it gives the manga publicity, and that alone isn't enough, because it gives the wrong impression of what the story is.

The ending is cheesy, and gives the idea that peace and love and understanding flit around like glittery pixie dust, which doesn't have much bearing on the manga; where the current antagonist in question is actually killed by the peaceloving Main, who then declares that he'll wipe the villians out for sake of saving the world.
Spoiler
Again, seeing as Alma Toran quite simply destroyed the first world and want to do it with the second.
Silver_August

Hmmmmmm...I might still give it a shot anyways just because Gyrozetter alone wont be enough to keep me occupied..and im the guy who suffered through Digimon Xros Hunters... I can handle Magi... atleast try too lol
Amion

It won't affect you too poorly if you don't read the manga.

You may want to read the manga as well if you get the chance, It is worth it. :D
Arbiter GUNDAM

Man, that episode 26. That was an ending worthy of DBZ. :D

--Freyja Wion
Silver_August

I love them for the fact we got to hear the JoJo anthem one more time during an epic climax scene
Arbiter GUNDAM

I also wasn't expecting Joseph to get his forearm cut off.

--Freyja Wion
Silver_August

considering EVERYTHING he went through till this point. namely the battle with Wham ...which btw he recovered really quickly from it seems, yah to at the end lose your hand? Hmm... whtever! I'm pretty sure that plays a roll in Stardust Crusaders
Amion

The ending where he plugs in his walker and starts listening to his own opening theme was just perfect.

Reading the manga now where it left off, and feeling very unsatisfied with Jotaro, I just don't like his character, though it's funny how being followed by a screaming horde of fangirls has crazed him toward women, at least from what I can see so far.

I don't particularly like Stand powers just yet, they're too confusing, maybe it'll grow on me....

It also just occurred to me that if Cars had the powers of AC/DC, he could have easily survived all that and returned to Earth...
Silver_August

Amion wrote:The ending where he plugs in his walker and starts listening to his own opening theme was just perfect.

Reading the manga now where it left off, and feeling very unsatisfied with Jotaro, I just don't like his character, though it's funny how being followed by a screaming horde of fangirls has crazed him toward women, at least from what I can see so far.

I don't particularly like Stand powers just yet, they're too confusing, maybe it'll grow on me....

It also just occurred to me that if Cars had the powers of AC/DC, he could have easily survived all that and returned to Earth...
That Walkman scene I told my sis when we watched it, they should've played Roundabout at that point because it would've been perfect, since the song came out in 1970s and the show is now set in 1987, lol but I will admit the OP fits the mood alot nicer and puts you in a good mood...plus they'd have to extend the credits for 10 minutes to run the entire song, lol

As for Jotaro well.. I blame being so used to Joseph being a real joker and adding alot of comedy to the series, and even makes you forget that Jonathan was a gentlemen and no jokes at all the comedy for me came form now crazy the series got...but I like Jotaro cuz hes so cold and serious and its just...different, and I like that each gen has a new look and feel.

About stands though...get used to them! Because they become the main gimmick here on out with Ripple being almost entirely replaced...I can accept it - Ripples by the end of Battle Tendency they got the most we really can out of them, they're Jojo's answer to Chi and whatever Fist of the North Star did. Stands I see as an evolution of Ripples since to me they feel like the same thing you got from a Ripple accept they're taking on a more "physical" form.

And about Cars...well, that's what he gets for killing off his entire species which is so egotistical that they don't feel the need to breed, lol and eh, I think the moment he reached orbit he was screwed, (realistically I mean) and laughably enough, he got a fate worse then death, eternally doomed to float through space, unable to die and left aware until he ceased to THINK. like Damn,

ALSO fun fact - I looked up the history of some of the prime voice actors... and guess what other roles Wham's REMOVED VA has played? Japanese Han Solo...that made me laugh,

Also Lisa Lisa is The Major, and Wham also coincidentally Bato,

OH and I gotta say this...I love how Joseph became a loud racist to the Japanese, lol "those damn dirty japs stole my daughter! on the other hand... i DO like my walkman." such a classy and hilarious line to end the series on.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Silver_August wrote: OH and I gotta say this...I love how Joseph became a loud racist to the Japanese, lol "those damn dirty japs stole my daughter! on the other hand... i DO like my Walkman." such a classy and hilarious line to end the series on.
Oh that had me in stitches!

--Freyja Wion