The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
RLZIII

The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

@Vertical_Ed tweeted today that volume 2 of the Gundam: The Origin manga will be locking in its print run in two weeks. What that means if that if you want the manga, you have to preorder it now! If you don't know, Vertical is a small print company that is doing a high quality English release of the manga (which has never been released in full in English). The releases are hard cover with high quality paper and color pages (where applicable). There will also be some special features from what I understand (such as interviews and whatnot).

I am not associated with Vertical in any way, but I really want to see this manga get a full run (12 volumes). Right now the first three volumes are available for preorder right now at various places (below I have the Amazon links for convenience; but it can be bought many places). Since this series is being done as a limited run (the only way that the manga could be released in such high quality), preorders determine how many of each volume will be made.

The Gundamn podcast did an interview with Vertical a little while back about the English release of this manga. If you haven't check it out already, then you really should! It convinced me to preorder the first volume (and subsequently the second and third).

Please, Gundam community, gather and vote with your wallet! We are getting less-and-less Gundam merchandise in the United States, especially at this quality! Your preorders will likely determine if these series is able to finish. And if the series does pick up and do well, then perhaps Vertical will get the chance to release other Gundam works that the community has asked about for years. But that will only happen if the sales actually reflect the supposed demand from the community.

-----

EDIT: For reference sack, here are all of the volumes as listed on Amazon.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 1, I) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 2, II) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 3, III) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 4, IV) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 5, V) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 6, VI) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 7, VII) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 8, VIII) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 9, IX) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 10, X) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 11, XI) on Amazon
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Volume 12, XII) on Amazon
Last edited by RLZIII on Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
speedstriker

Re: Gundam: The Origin Preorders

Ordered the first volume and will probably get the second as well. The wait's been killing me!
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
zetatype

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info, just preordered Vol.1 and 2, and I'll preorder vol.3 when I get more cash. So is there a deadline to preorder vol.3?
Ceiling_Squid

Vertical has been pretty bad about advertising this, and isn't really getting a huge response.

Spread that word-of-mouth, folks! Get those orders in, tell your friends!
Chris
Administrator

zetatype wrote:Awesome!!! Thanks for the info, just preordered Vol.1 and 2, and I'll preorder vol.3 when I get more cash. So is there a deadline to preorder vol.3?
Having cash is irrelevant for preorders. You don't get charged until the order ships, which for volume 3 is in September. But preorder numbers do help decide how big the print run will be, so you should just order it now.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
ProfessorMecha

The Origin is #3 #5 and #15 on Amazon Manga Bestsellers!

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Book ... v_b_2_4366

There is a market after all.
bullethead

BTW, Volume 4 preorders are up on Amazon USA.
YazanGable

RLZIII wrote:I am not associated with Vertical in any way, but I really want to see this manga get a full run (11 volumes).
From the sounds of it, this will get a full run, regardless of numbers. Though it may wind up being akin to the infamous ADV Dunbine release where later volumes are printed in fewer numbers as a result of fewer preorders.

So in short, anyone who's interested - now would be the best time to get in on this, since the resale market is going to bleed you pretty badly on this one if you wait.
JulieYBM

ProfessorMecha wrote:The Origin is #3 #5 and #15 on Amazon Manga Bestsellers!

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Book ... v_b_2_4366

There is a market after all.
Volume #4 was number one the other day, too.
She/Her
YazanGable

On the note of volume 4, a quick question - I know, as a rule, Amazon makes the final preorder charge based on its lowest price. Now, if I order it when it's over the $25 mark and select 'yes' to free shipping, if the price goes below the $25 limit later, is the shipping still free, or does it just roll into standard shipping rate?
Chris
Administrator

I believe once you pre-order something with free shipping, it's locked in with that. I put in a preorder during the time when I had a 30 day Prime trial, thus giving me free two day shipping. The item didn't ship until months later when the trial had expired, but I still got the Prime shipping.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dendrobium Stamen

Volume 4 doesn't appear to be available for pre-ordering on Amazon UK... frustrating.

Still, volumes #1 to #3 are ordered, so bring on new Origin copies! My old paperback Viz versions aren't in good shape after a dozen years of wear-and-tear, so new hardback versions will be much appreciated.

One question does come to mind, though: as I recall, a certain Mr. Mark Simmons worked on the translations for Viz - anyone know if he's doing these versions too? :P
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
bullethead

Dendrobium Stamen wrote:One question does come to mind, though: as I recall, a certain Mr. Mark Simmons worked on the translations for Viz - anyone know if he's doing these versions too? :P
IIRC, Vertical has said on Twitter that Simmons is helping them with the translation.
HellCat

Heaven knows why, nobody's heard from him in years. I'd be amazed if he's still a fan.

:wink:

I actually put my old copy of Viz volume one in with the recyclables. It's served me well but with these new volumes coming I'd rather make room for them.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
JulieYBM

My copies of Viz Volume #1 and #2 are still in good shape. I'd have bought the rest if Viz's store hadn't suddenly changed and removed most of their stock.

Now, my library's old copies (and how I first discovered the comic back in high school)--Jesus, those were beat to Hell and back. Torn, shredded, wrinkled and all sorts of other apt descriptions. I think they eventually removed them from the system. Luckily I was able to convince them to order the first two volumes from Verticle. Six copies each!
She/Her
NastyNate

I'm looking forward to getting my copy. I don't particularly like manga but I got the first one to support the franchise. If I like it I'll see about getting the other ones but for now I'm just going to see how the first one is. I don't know when my copy is going to ship or when I'll get charged. Sometime soon I'm sure.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
toysdream

bullethead wrote:IIRC, Vertical has said on Twitter that Simmons is helping them with the translation.
Nope, haven't had any communication with Vertical at all. Other than that I bought a couple volumes of Dororo from their table at San Diego Comic-Con a couple years back, and they gave me a really awesome tote bag to put them in!

I'm sure they've done their usual awesome job with The Origin. :-)

-- Mark
Kratos

Mine should be arriving today! Couldn't be more excited!

I'm especially interested in seeing how Vertical handles Yas' weird conversation pacing; he had a tendency to break up conversations into multiple, small word bubbles that follow the pace of the Japanese conversation, and which happen to make smooth-flowing conversation within a pain.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
HellCat

Volume 4 is sitting on Amazon UK as a useless 'currently unavailable' listing. Hopefully they'll open pre-orders soon.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
JulieYBM

Kratos wrote:Mine should be arriving today! Couldn't be more excited!

I'm especially interested in seeing how Vertical handles Yas' weird conversation pacing; he had a tendency to break up conversations into multiple, small word bubbles that follow the pace of the Japanese conversation, and which happen to make smooth-flowing conversation within a pain.
I read the first six chapters at Barnes & Noble yesterday. I did notice this problem, but just dealing with it is better than editing the art. Nevertheless, Yasuhiko's dialogue scenes are so much fun. I think the best parts of volume #1 (aside from the addition of the RX-78-01) is how Yasuhiko manages to make the characters really come alive in how they interact. It's like watching Star Trek, the art replacing the actors but the dialogue bristling with camaraderie all the same. I can't wait to see how Sunrise handles this in a potential cartoon adaptation.
She/Her