The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

I figure this deserves its own thread instead of us filling the SEED HD thread up to 30 and then having to start a new one anyway.

So.

Here we are about three weeks away from Destiny being back on the air. This is actually good for me because back in 2005, I was young and stupid and ignorant and I rage-quit the show. Now, thanks to the training of Lord Darth Neo and General Hate, I know how to have fun with my rage. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Actually I'll probably just groan a lot. At least it'll be something to tide us over until Final Unicorn and the next Gundam show. Also, I'm going to refer to the Remaster as Destiny (Not The Game From Bungie.) :lol:

Huzzah.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
HellCat

Re: The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

I think at this stage the only thing that could really bug me is if we get more bias to the idea Kira is perfect, which the Destiny TV run and parts of the SEED HD run had. The idea that Kira had unintentionally killed Shinn's family in part was a great idea and a logical fallout to his tactics. Do we really need stuff like that removed and altered so he apparently never makes any mistakes?

Beyond that, I think any issue I have with the show burned out long ago. A decade ago I was pretty disgusted with it. Whilst there's still not much I like, I can't hold a grudge over a cartoon of all things.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Chris
Administrator

HellCat wrote:I think at this stage the only thing that could really bug me is if we get more bias to the idea Kira is perfect, which the Destiny TV run and parts of the SEED HD run had. The idea that Kira had unintentionally killed Shinn's family in part was a great idea and a logical fallout to his tactics. Do we really need stuff like that removed and altered so he apparently never makes any mistakes?
This has already happened, though. In later instances when that Orb battle appeared as a flashback, it was edited to make the shot that killed the Asukas more ambiguous. It wouldn't surprise me if the HD version continued that.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
HellCat

That's what I'm saying, though. Destiny did it, then there were complaints when SEED HD revised how Kira took down Blitz. I'd like to hope that Destiny HD will actually make things better rather than worse.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Gundam420

Don't count on it. I really don't understand why people keep expecting Destiny's Remaster to change anything. There's no reason to think this will be any different given all the miniscule changes made in Seed's HD Remaster. The biggest changes will be improvements in the quality of some character and mobile suit models, maybe the inclusion of a couple of new suits, inserting the Final Plus ending and other things from the Special Edition. Though it wouldn't surprise me at all if the HD Remaster continues make more changes to make the old cast look better than the new by doing something stupid, like having the Freedom not fight the Impulse at all and instead runs away the whole time, or have the Destroy walking into Freedom's beam saber, or more scenes of Athrun punching Shinn. Anyway what people seem to forget is that it's a REMASTER, not a reboot
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
azrael

As long as some of the more annoying animation issues are fixed, it might actually make this show viewable.

Yeah, I'm not expecting any changes to the story.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Chris
Administrator

HellCat wrote:That's what I'm saying, though. Destiny did it, then there were complaints when SEED HD revised how Kira took down Blitz. I'd like to hope that Destiny HD will actually make things better rather than worse.
I don't really follow you here since you're trying to argue a point that's the opposite of the facts. Given that the staff has already made the mistake you hope they'll avoid, what leads you to believe that they won't continue down that route? Also, those complaints from SEED HD are completely meaningless because they come from us fans in the West. SEED (and particularly DESTINY) have always been more popular in Japan. From the perspective of Fukuda and the staff, they don't see that they've made a "mistake" that needs correcting the same way Western fans do.
Homeless

All he's saying is that it'd be nice if they didn't continue doing things he wasn't fond of seeing. It's not terribly likely, for the reasons you've brought up, but you act as if trying to be optimistic is against the forum rules. If something that simple is impetus for the board admin to come and, frankly, condescend to users, then why are any of us here?
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Chris
Administrator

Homeless wrote:All he's saying is that it'd be nice if they didn't continue doing things he wasn't fond of seeing. It's not terribly likely, for the reasons you've brought up, but you act as if trying to be optimistic is against the forum rules. If something that simple is impetus for the board admin to come and, frankly, condescend to users, then why are any of us here?
How am I condescending? We're having a debate, and being an admin has nothing to do with it. I'm not coming in here and telling him he can't be optimistic. I'm just saying I don't see a reason to hope that certain changes won't happen when they have already happened in the past.
Homeless

You have a very confrontational style of posting when someone has a different opinion than you, and you grow more belligerent the longer they persist in doing so. I don't post much any more but I do watch conversations on the board. When it gets to the point like with DuelGundam where you were being so insulting that you had to be reminded of your own board's rules of conduct, it instills a strong sense of "why even post at all?" among normal users.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Chris
Administrator

Homeless wrote:You have a very confrontational style of posting when someone has a different opinion than you, and you grow more belligerent the longer they persist in doing so. I don't post much any more but I do watch conversations on the board. When it gets to the point like with DuelGundam where you were being so insulting that you had to be reminded of your own board's rules of conduct, it instills a strong sense of "why even post at all?" among normal users.
You're bringing things into this thread that aren't related. I won't deny that I can be confrontational, but I don't see that happening here. If you weren't paying attention, DuelGundam was an anomaly because he refused to listen to multiple warnings both public and private about his behavior, leaving public embarrassment as my only alternative. Short of banning him, which I eventually did anyway, there was nothing else to do about someone who individually generated more complaints to me than any other user in this forum's history. And honestly, when you talk about this sense among "normal users," are you speaking to an actual sentiment, or just projecting your feelings onto this group? Either way, it has nothing to do with this thread and would take it off track. If you want to keep discussing it, feel free to PM me.
Deacon Blues

Ah but that's the fun of textual postings, people can either read too much into them, read what they want out of it, or take it as they may feel. You cannot convey tone very well, but I suppose word choices do help (hence why people think and still do for some reason, that I'm an elitist bastard).

It's what you make of it.
monster

HellCat wrote:The idea that Kira had unintentionally killed Shinn's family in part was a great idea and a logical fallout to his tactics.
To be fair, that had nothing to do with Kira's tactics and everything to do with having a battle near civilian areas. Shinn's family is collateral damage and is more a victim of the battle rather than that of any individual soldier fighting in that battle.

My guess for why they made the scene "more ambiguous" is that it ended up not having any purpose in the story. Shinn never knew who killed his family and only blamed Uzumi/Orb for it and Kira never knew that Shinn's family was killed in that battle.

As for the SEED remaster change of Nichol's death, the fact of the matter is that Kira still killed Nichol in front of Athrun and that was the main point. That said, I actually think the change makes more sense because it makes it look more of an accident, thus Kira's surprised reaction afterward.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Deacon Blues wrote:Ah but that's the fun of textual postings, people can either read too much into them, read what they want out of it, or take it as they may feel. You cannot convey tone very well, but I suppose word choices do help (hence why people think and still do for some reason, that I'm an elitist bastard).

It's what you make of it.
Replace Elitist with Magnificent. :)

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

Deacon Blues wrote:Ah but that's the fun of textual postings, people can either read too much into them, read what they want out of it, or take it as they may feel. You cannot convey tone very well, but I suppose word choices do help (hence why people think and still do for some reason, that I'm an elitist bastard).
I definitely know that feeling...apparently people think I'm a lot angrier than I really am when I debate a point. Ah well.

Back on topic...yeah, I have basically zero hopes for this remaster. Last year, Fukuda tweeted that while GSD was a commercial failure, he considers it successful in regards to characterization and storytelling. He also took the time to gripe about the Super Robot Wars franchise for changing the plots of stories after they're finished (for the worse, in his opinion).

So odds are, as has been said, all they'll do is pretty up the animation and shuffle around a couple of scenes, nothing more. As nice as it would be to address the glaring flaws in the plot, it's obvious that the guy in charge doesn't see them as flaws, so they won't get fixed. If anything, the remaster will just make things worse by reviving the god-awful Kira vs Shinn wars of seven years ago.

My only question is, what's going to happen with Cagalli? Did they reloop her dialog in the Seed remaster, or just use archived audio? It looks like Naomi Shindoh has basically stopped playing the character (last time, IIRC, was Alliance vs ZAFT 2), and given the character assassination that occurred I can understand why.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
ShadowCell

i really wouldn't miss episode 41, if that's the case. clip shows are bad enough; clip shows jammed into the middle of major battles, after the previous episode ended on a quasi-cliffhanger, are like a cardinal sin.
Arbiter GUNDAM

You don't suppose we'll get lucky enough that they'll cut out episode 46 with Meer?
AmuroNT1 wrote: Last year, Fukuda tweeted that while GSD was a commercial failure,
Holdonholdonholdon. I thought Destiny was a success in Japan?
AmuroNT1 wrote:he considers it successful in regards to characterization and storytelling.
Yeah, um Fukuda, Ranka would like to have a word with you.

--Freyja Wion
Gundam420

Didn't she reprise her role in that Gundam Seed Battle Destiny game for the Vita?

Also, a commercial failure? I knew Fukuda was an idiot, but... :shock: :?:
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Strike Zero

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:You don't suppose we'll get lucky enough that they'll cut out episode 46 with Meer?
I should certainly hope not! I'd be missing out on all of Meer's fanservicey outfits rendered in GLORIOUS HD!
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
JulieYBM

AmuroNT1 wrote: Back on topic...yeah, I have basically zero hopes for this remaster. Last year, Fukuda tweeted that while GSD was a commercial failure, he considers it successful in regards to characterization and storytelling. He also took the time to gripe about the Super Robot Wars franchise for changing the plots of stories after they're finished (for the worse, in his opinion).

So odds are, as has been said, all they'll do is pretty up the animation and shuffle around a couple of scenes, nothing more. As nice as it would be to address the glaring flaws in the plot, it's obvious that the guy in charge doesn't see them as flaws, so they won't get fixed. If anything, the remaster will just make things worse by reviving the god-awful Kira vs Shinn wars of seven years ago.
I whut? These DVD figures are by no means a commercial failure, even if I think the series took a nose-dive in terms of characterization. He had to have been poking fun at the fan perception of himself, that's just cray-cray.
She/Her