Ep. 039: Ultimate Spider-Man

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 039: Ultimate Spider-Man

Chaos Theater Ep. 039 - "Ultimate Spider-Man"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 139 mins, 35 sec. (2:19:35) 63.90 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:17:41

02. Discussion: "Ultimate Spider-Man"
Runtime: 0:18:40 - 1:23:05

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:23:37 - 2:14:27

This newest episode is a bit late, but I'm sure you all don't mind. In this episode, we catch up on what we've been up to, followed by a short unintended Burger Slider segment. After that, we swing into an in-depth discussion of Brian Michael Bendis' comic book series Ultimate Spider-Man. We go through the entire print run, renumberings and title changes that span the time from Peter Parker to Miles Morales. Please note that there are spoilers up to issue 16 of the Miles series, as well as from the relaunched The Ultimates. There's also a bit of discussion about the unrelated TV series of the same name. We then follow up with our Audible recommendations and your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, we're talking cutesy murderous girls as we cover Higurashi no Naku Koroni.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Rock of Ages (2012)" from http://www.bootmashup.com by DJ Schmolli

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
mobiusdiablo

Re: Ep. 039: Ultimate Spider-Man

Listening to the episode now

As someone who actually picked up the HD collection of Zone of the Enders on PS3 when it hit stores, I honestly don't know what people are complaining about. The only notable glitch that I noticed is the clear data glitch for Second Runner, and that's easily fixed by loading the clear data. It's not unplayable, there's no game-breaking bugs, the worst it gets is a small, almost insignificant slowdown in some areas.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
yazi88

I'm glad you guys mentioned the "Spider-Men" crossover. I really like Mile's character and I also really feel bad for him with the fact he keeps beating himself up for not saving Peter and the fact that pretty much everyone else keeps dumping on him and that he's still learning to be a superhero. At least he's getting more help now thanks to the ultimates.
Destiny_Gundam

Mwahaha. Seems I inadvertantly had pre-emptive revenge!

But seriously, Toradora. I guess you watched it recently, Pedro, since I brought it up before and you mentioned not having watched it.
Spoiler
Toradora was so refreshing at first because it was about two people joining forces to get their respective crushes, rather than it being the typical "boy meets girl, obviously start falling in love" set up. While I wanted the both of them to win their crushes as they set out to do, I knew cliche plot progression would see them together at the end. Can't have the main hero and heroine just be friends now, can we? While disappointed, I had accepted that inevitability from the get go.

Execution is where the problem was.

So over the course of the series Taiga falls out of love with Kitamura and falls in love with Ryuji. That was done well and I have no problem with it. I can't say the same for Ryuji. If anything, he fell even more in love with Minori as they spent more time together and got closer. But then comes the scene in the classroom when Taiga's feelings are outed and she runs away. They go after her, Minori declaring her mutual love for Ryuji and Ryuji's reaction... is to smile kindly before going back after Taiga. Who he then says he loves and even wants them to elope and crap.

Uh, yeah, so Ryuji fell in love with Taiga on the bloody spot, apparently. He completely forgets about liking Minori (not even the slightest hesitation in having to chose between the girl he always wanted and can now have and the girl he just realised he had feelings for) and wants to fricking elope with Taiga.

Throughout the series Ryuji never considered Taiga in a romantic light. She was his valued friend, but sadly more than that she was a helpless person who needed him to take care of her. So the only reason I can see him chosing to be with Taiga is because she's unable to function without him and that has all sorts of unfortunate implications.
So yeah, screw that ending.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
kayone73

Nice overview of the USM franchise. Didn't realize he was the gateway title into the Ultimate Marvel universe.

When Morales became the new minority Spider Man, writer Bendis was partially inspired by the failed 'cast Donald Glover as the next movie Spider Man' campaign:

"Bendis said thoughts about the character were further reinforced by African American actor Donald Glover's appearance wearing Spider-Man pajamas on "Anthropology 101", the second season premiere of the television comedy series Community. This was a reference to an unsuccessful online campaign that attempted to secure an audition for the lead role in the 2012 film The Amazing Spider-Man. Bendis said of Glover, "I saw him in the costume and thought, 'I would like to read that book.' So I was glad I was writing that book.""

Donald Glover's interview on the Nerdist podcast mentions all the insane racist backlash he got even tho he was not responsible for starting the campaign, almost side by side with all the support from fans. I'm very glad Bendis wrote the new character and I'd like to think part of it was a vocal 'F U' to all the narrow minded fans and respondents.

Plus Glover's view on this makes total sense: "This is the story of a teenager who grew up in a working class neighborhood in Queens, who lost his parents when he was young, living w his aunt and uncle, and his uncle was shot to death by a robber, of course you're going to picture Peter Parker as a black teenager."
Chris
Administrator

kayone73 wrote:Plus Glover's view on this makes total sense: "This is the story of a teenager who grew up in a working class neighborhood in Queens, who lost his parents when he was young, living w his aunt and uncle, and his uncle was shot to death by a robber, of course you're going to picture Peter Parker as a black teenager."
I think Donald Glover would make a great Spider-Man. If Sony/Marvel ever wanted to make a movie with a black Spider-Man, someone like Glover could play an older Miles.
Destiny_Gundam

In regards to showing your kids Star Wars, I'm surprised you guys didn't say something like "I would never subject my kids to the prequels!"
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:In regards to showing your kids Star Wars, I'm surprised you guys didn't say something like "I would never subject my kids to the prequels!"
Sometimes you have to watch garbage to be able to appreciate what's good.
mobiusdiablo

Chris wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:In regards to showing your kids Star Wars, I'm surprised you guys didn't say something like "I would never subject my kids to the prequels!"
Sometimes you have to watch garbage to be able to appreciate what's good.
So does this mean they have to watch all of Uwe Boll and Paul W. S. Anderson? :twisted:
From 00 S2 ep 25

Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

mobiusdiablo wrote:So does this mean they have to watch all of Uwe Boll and Paul W. S. Anderson? :twisted:
Even garbage has limitations. Plus, that might qualify as child abuse.
mobiusdiablo

Chris wrote:
mobiusdiablo wrote:So does this mean they have to watch all of Uwe Boll and Paul W. S. Anderson? :twisted:
Even garbage has limitations. Plus, that might qualify as child abuse.
Well, you DID say you didn't want kids so... :P
From 00 S2 ep 25

hotlimit

mobiusdiablo wrote:Listening to the episode now

As someone who actually picked up the HD collection of Zone of the Enders on PS3 when it hit stores, I honestly don't know what people are complaining about. The only notable glitch that I noticed is the clear data glitch for Second Runner, and that's easily fixed by loading the clear data. It's not unplayable, there's no game-breaking bugs, the worst it gets is a small, almost insignificant slowdown in some areas.
Yeah, I had not heard anything bad about the HD collection until Pedro's rant; a few of my friends own it and haven't said anything.
The Fowl Sorcerous

cool episode,

I'd given up on USM about 3-4 years into the run when it was looking less like 'all new, all different scenerios' and more like a lee/ditko/kirby greatest hits cover band. This stuff with Miles has piqued my interest. might look into it if there's a sale on comixology...just glad to see that Mr Morales has received the spider-guilt complex along with all the other spider powers.

it would seem my mantle as 'lightning round guy' has been contested while I was posting broader, discussion provoking questions (which you didn't answer [not that I'm bitter]), I may have to do something about that.
[[lorem ipsum]]
mobiusdiablo

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:it would seem my mantle as 'lightning round guy' has been contested while I was posting broader, discussion provoking questions (which you didn't answer [not that I'm bitter]), I may have to do something about that.
Friend :P

I merely did the Lightning Round since you were off doing other things. Do not think of me stealing it, think of me as tending to its fire :P

Oh god that was so cheesy!
From 00 S2 ep 25

Mu La Flaga

Ok so Ultimate Spider-man haven't read.
I have been curious on it a little though, but kind of prefer the 616 Marvel universe usually.

As for side scrolling bullet hell games, at least Christ enjoys Metal Slug series like I do, awesome.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:As for side scrolling bullet hell games, at least Christ enjoys Metal Slug series like I do, awesome.
What other games does Jesus like to play? :wink:
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:As for side scrolling bullet hell games, at least Christ enjoys Metal Slug series like I do, awesome.
What other games does Jesus like to play? :wink:
Although thinking back, can't remember which entries of the later games I enjoyed more.
However I do like to make use of Fio whenever she is available for selection.
Destiny_Gundam

Chris wrote:What other games does Jesus like to play? :wink:
The Sims, Spore, stuff like that. Except on a much larger scale.