Upcoming Interview - Ep. 1?? - Questions for Richard Epcar

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Upcoming Interview - Ep. 1?? - Questions for Richard Epcar

On the next episode of "Gundamn! @ MAHQ", we are interviewing none other than actor & ADR Director Richard Epcar (known to many as "Batou" in various incarnations of "Ghost in the Shell")! He's also a well-known voice actor, directing & performing in many different cartoons, video games and especially animes! For a full rundown on his body of work, visit the links below:

- Official Website: http://www.RichardEpcar.com/
- IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0258268/
- ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=1090
- Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Epcar
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/RichardEpcar
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Richard- ... 89?fref=ts

Remember, we won't be able to read all of the questions, but the best questions will be selected so be respectful, sensible and creative! Chris also adds:
Chris wrote:As a general statement to everyone, this goes without saying, but don't ask stupid questions. I.e. "How can I become a voice actor?" If you think to yourself that your question might be stupid, think about it again before posting it.
Many thanks to Richard for taking time out and joining us on the podcast and also to Dollow Rlance for networking and setting up this interview!

Deadline for Submissions is at Friday, December 7th, 12:01 am PST!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Upcoming Interview - Ep. 115 - Questions for Richard Epc

Hello Richard Epcar been a fan of some of your various works for a while.
Here are my questions for submission.

1.Out of your characters you portrayed in Digimon 01 and 02, who did you enjoy portraying more?
The deadly vampire like Myotismon or the Elvis like Ape Etemon?(I always found Etemon to be most funny of the 2, but Myotismon far more dangerous an opponent, but that Elvis voice for Etemon is awesome!)
Note: IF the Gundamn team hasn't heard him, would Mr Epcar mind giving a sample?

2.How does it feel that you can say.
you have done a Transformers series? (Armorhide the Decepticon part of a combiner team from "Transformers: Robots In Disguise")
Not to mention that series had a G1 actor working in that series, Michael McConohie(Tracks and Cosmos in G1 Transformers)

3.Finally, did you think Guld from Macross Plus was something of a bastard? :P (in a fun way at times, apart from the flying tests ect)

4.What was one series you perhaps missed out on doing you would have liked to be been part of?(for instance Voltron)

Also liked your work in Gundam Unicorn for the time your character was around.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
penguintruth

1. What's up with Daguza's arm sling? Did he break his arm or what?

2. Is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as awesome as she seems?

3. How do you feel about playing real bit parts, like in Lucky Star where you play one-offs that might say one thing and then that's it?

4. Do you miss Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo?

5. Do you miss the Lupin III franchise? Would you be open to reprising your role as Daisuke Jigen in another show or movie?

6. Was it difficult playing Inspector Lunge, who's a bit different from other characters you've been?

7. Jigen gets into a fight with Batou. Who wins? (The answer is you.)

Richard Epcar is one of my favorite voice actors. Wish him the best for me.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
hunterslasher13

1.What was your proudest moment in your voice acting career?

2.Which is tougher in your opinion, voice acting or voice directing?

3.What famous voice actor, dead or alive, would you have like to work with?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hunterslasher13
PSN:Hunterslasher27
Crestborne

Mr. Richard Epcar,

Thank you for all the amazing voice acting you have done through out the years. Thank you for all your effort, and for all the time you spent in a voice booth, when you could have been doing countless other things with your life than doing Elvis impersonations to a cartoon monkey. You have stared in many of my all time, top Anime. Digimon, Ghost In The Shell, Bobobo (FIST OF THE NOSE HAIR) and of course, Gundam Unicorn. And, even your parts, and more parts, in Lucky Star.

Now that I have properly gushed all over the place, I would like to ask you some questions!

1. How was the process of adapting the script of Bobobo Bo-bobo from the Japanese script to english? Who worked with you in that process?

2. Do you have any interesting stories you would like to share about your experience as being one of the most recognizable VA's from Ghost In The Shell? Or, any stories from behind the scenes from the first movie and its explosion of popularity in the 90's to then doing the series years later?

3. Can you do your favorite impersonations? No limits on this one, you go at it.

4. Have you ever met Masamune Shirow, the creator of Ghost In The Shell? If you have, what was it like, and if you haven't then have you ever met Akio Ōtsuka, the gentleman who voices Batou in Japan?

Thank you Richard again from a long time fan, and I hope to hear you more in series to come.

Let Forever Be,
Crestborne
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro
Wheel Of Doom Stream - Monday 7pm EST
twitch.tv/powerborne
Gundam420

Hello Richard Epcar. Big fan of your work. Here are my questions:

1. What was your favorite video game role?

2. Who was your favorite antagonist to portray?

3. What was your most difficult performance?

4. Who are your favorite voice actors to work with?

5. Is there any particular character whom you've always wanted to do the voice of, regardless of whether your own voice matched the character or not?

Thank you for taking the time for these questions. I really appreciate it.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Destiny_Gundam

Greetings Mr. Epcar! Recently I've been rewatching Digimon and your voice pops up a lot. Not only do you voice villains like Myotismon and not-so-villains like Merukimon, but you do a lot of bit parts as well. How do the casting for such roles work? Will a director just randomly ask you to read for a character, or will they ask if anyone is interested and you volunteer?

Did you notice any differences between Saban and Disney while working on Digimon? Are you set to, or are you interested in, getting a role in the upcoming Digimon Fusion?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
mobiusdiablo

To Sir Epcar

Do you have any specific preference to roles you do? Which genres do you prefer, both in work and just digesting somehow?

What video game roles did you enjoy doing, even if they were uncredited? Speaking of, may I ask what the deal is with doing something that is uncredited?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
The Loser Villain

Mr. Epcar,

What advice can you give to young actors trying to get work in the business? It can be a disheartening experience and any words of advice from an actor who has had a lot of success is much appreciated.

I've always been a fan, thank you for doing this interview and for the years of entertainment provided.

Thank you,

Peter "The Loser Villain"
Last edited by The Loser Villain on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Captain America

Hello Gundamn Crew and Mr. Epcar,

My first question; is there any character you lost the audition for that you would love to voice or play?
Secondly are there any Anime or American animations you would like to be updated and if any which character or characters would you like to voice?

As always keep up the good work Crew and thank you for doing this interview Mr. Epcar, sincerely,

Captain America
Chris
Administrator

Due to unforeseen circumstances and scheduling conflicts, Richard Epcar will not be joining us in the next episode. With the holidays coming right after this, it might have to wait until the start of 2013. We'll still make use of your questions once he is on the show.

UPDATE: The interview is back on.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Mr. Epcar,

Macross Plus features the AI virtual singer Sharon Apple and what happens when she goes the way of Skynet. I'm curious to know what you think about the state of technology today, wether we're getting to the point where the technology controls us more than we'd like to think?

Also, would you want to fly one of the Valkyrie variable fighters from Macross?

Thanks for your work and keep on being awesome. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Soul Bro Ryu

This thread is now closed! Many thanks to all that sent in questions!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Chris
Administrator

Sorry guys, but Richard had a last minute recording gig, so the interview will NOT be happening in this episode. We'll update you on rescheduling.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his