JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Series One (Anime Series)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Silver_August

Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Series One (Anime Series)

i gotta say that 3rd episode just got down right NUTS...and thank you JoJo for making vampires intimidating again, but good lord that fight..just went everywhere, lol

btw, the opening is just....fits this show SO bloody well
Ryujin

It can't be said often enough, casting Koyasu as Dio was simply hands-down BRILLIANT. Couldn't have asked for more with his interpretation of the role. Speedwagon's VA hamming it up was entertainingly over-the-top, too.
Amion

Then I take it the consensus is that the third ep was indeed brilliantly done. It did feel good to see Dio impaled by the venus statue, though I wonder personally exactly why the Joastars had a venus statue that was holding a sharp pointy spike inside their house. I get the Venus being the family protector thing, but why the spike?

Heck it was awesome, so I don't really care or want an explanation. *Munches on a chocolate bar for emphasis*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Silver_August

I'd ssay why not in regards to the spike, but my sis got a kick out of how this mansion seenemed to have no ending when they were falling towards the flames and it was like....how tall IS this mansion? lol, especially when it only appears to be 2 stories, 3 at best
Momaru

Really been enjoying this show a lot so far. Its so hot blooded and over the top whats not to love? It seems some things are censored for the TV run but probably will be shown in all their gory glory on the BD's much like some other anime I've seen. But still it's not like you can't tell exactly what happened. I also enjoyed watching Speedwagon freak out for practically the entire episode. Talk about color commentary. Part of the fun of JoJo is watching the characters freak out over whatever bizarre thing is happening to them.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Raptor

Koyasu's WRYYYY is really, really,really awesome. Looking forward to it every time.

Zeppeli was every bit as awesome as expected, and finally getting to see the Hamon animated was amazing.

Wasn't sold on Erina's design in the Manga, but the Anime does a good job of making her look normal, so my opinion of her character design is changing to match my opinion of her character.

Fight with Jack was great.

5 out of 5. Now i just wish I didn't have to wait a week for a new episode.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Amion

I was really impressed with the ripple. But what was that freaky jaw board Jack was using? I'm no vampire buff, mind you.
YazanGable

Finally watched episode 4...well worth the wait. Like many others, very satisfied with how the Ripple is being handled, and in particular liked how they handled the fight with Jack. Was a little surprised by how old Zeppeli sounded at first, but someone pointed out that actually is a factor from the manga (though it doesn't carry as well in the English, apparently in the original Japanese manga, his speech pattern is like that of an old man. Knowing what the Ripple does for people in terms of rejuvenation, this actually winds up making a lot of sense now.)
Another solid episode in general and with Tarkus and Bruford being introduced next week, I'm gonna be pretty hyped again.

Did not expect to be loving this adaptation as much as I am...it's a good thing.

edit - Also, made a fun fact find in looking up some of the cast after this episode.
The VA for Zeppeli has done another prominent mecha role many years ago. He is the man who once voiced Cosmo Yuki in Space Runaway Ideon.
YazanGable

Apparently the first to comment...fair enough.

Another solid episode this week. A little saddened they shortened the whole thing with Speedwagon wanting to learn the Ripple, but considering how much else they had to cover, it makes sense. Plus, they at least kept the punchline in.

Dio's increase in power has been handled well and has me really looking forward to the showdown when the time comes. Likewise, Bruford and Tarkus's intro was approrpiately 'Oh crap!' grade, and they did a good job of working their background in without it killing the pacing of the fight, which stayed pretty lively. When we got to the cliffhanger at the end, my first response was "...it can't be next weekend fast enough!"

Given the major event to go down next week, I look forward to how they handle it.
Silver_August

Im just wondering, can anyone tell me just how fast this anime is going along in comparison to the manga? because holy cow this is moving like a frate train yet it works, the action is down right intense and Dio is just...all kind of nuts, he just really nails being the kind of villian you want to detest, though I have to ask as well... is there a ripple for every color of the rainbow? seriously the colors are both cheesy and just awesome at the same time.

and btw, I love the narrator, I dunno it just keeps things fun.
YazanGable

So far, they've actually been keeping a pretty good pace. There's been a few minor things they've sped through (ep 1 being the most heavily streamlined, otherwise it's been small things like Dio's meetings with Wang Chung (the Chinese man he was buying the poison from) and the fact Speedwagon tries to persuade Zeppeli more to teach him the Ripple before the scene we got this week happens.)

So while it gets brisk at points, for the most part it's actually been running right on schedule. Phantom Blood's really just a fast/short arc compared to other parts of the manga is all.
Last edited by YazanGable on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver_August

I was wondering about that because I dunno much about JoJo but I keep hearing how the 3rd gen was the best of the series and i'd swear its like they want to get there as soon as possible so they don't lose viewers
Silver_August

Ok, I have got to say...JoJo is kicking the arse of so many shows out there, the latest episode... made me care more about this random kid who in the same episode uttered such a cheesy line "dammit! I peed my pants" then I have important characters in other shows.

Just... man! all it took was that brief backstory and a lot of guts to make this kid just... an awesome addition to an intense fight.

Bravo JoJo, there is a reason you are among one of the greats. Or at least in my eyes you are.
YazanGable

Re: Stardust Crusaders (3rd Gen) - it's one of the more popular ones, yeah (in part because that was where they introduced Stands, which would become a major element in the series from there on out)
...as far as which is considered the best, that varies a LOT with fans (personally, I'm with the people who favor Battle Tendency/Gen 2.)

As for this week's episode - again, I am impressed with how faithful this adaptation has been. The Bruford fight finale still managed to maintain the right sense of emotion (and I admit it, I was grinning with how they did the 'Luck and Pluck' scene) and so far they've kept Tarkus appropriately threatening. Also, as always, Speedwagon takes the role of 'state the obvious' character and makes it damned entertaining.

Also, with this week ending before Zeppeli's big moment, it's gonna be a long wait for next week
Silver_August

Oh the moment after the kid got slammed into the wall and fought against the pain to keep going and open the door I was like No...nooooo don't end here don't endddd...then I hear YES start playing in the background and its like UGH!!!!! You jerks

But its like..in this 1 episode we got 1 powerful and indepth back stories, a resolve to a villain's character who we ended up caring about and just...man, I love it. That and seeing them say words like Skidaddle cracks me up, lol.
Raptor

Well, this arc has come to an end. And it was brilliant. However, a thought crossed my mind that I'm sure did so before, but I never spent the time to dwell on it.

Speedwagon must have beat himself up for the rest of his life for not going with Jonathan on that boat. He wanted to give them some space, but regret must have hounded him continuously.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Silver_August

Yeah... that thought crossed my mind too, but its not like he would've been able to do anything, lol..

I have to say... in 9 episodes this has already become one of my favorite animes EVER, not one episode disappointed, art, music and style are just... brilliant stuff.

The opening itself is a thing of beauty and it breaks my heart that I won't get to see it at the start of each episode... it has the bar HIGH for what I want to see next week, I really hope it keeps this simply bizarre action enthralling pace and I guess a change in the ending will be a lot easier on the company for paying royalties for the song, lol. But... man, the fact my sister could move her head to the beat, GOD i loved this series... but hey, I look forward to the next saga. bring on Joesph Joestar!
Last edited by Silver_August on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amion

This is an anime that has definitely taken the award for best series this year that I have viewed. Everything it does it accomplishes perfectly.
Ryujin

Oh lol, watching ep.12, Stroheim's such a ham. The director & VA's have been doing stellar work in adapting the manga.

And, from out of nowhere, the guitar riff from Yes's Owner of a Lonely Heart!
xaos

Wait, it's already up to 12 and they actually played Owner of a Lonely Heart? I was actually wondering if they would. Here I go catching up with Jojo's and in a short time I'm behind again. XD