Rematch! Rewatching G Gundam

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Rematch! Rewatching G Gundam

So after a busy few weeks, I leave the Universal Century behind to return to an old friend in the form of G Gundam.

Once upon a time I would have said this was my absolute favourite Gundam show but it's perhaps now been outdone by 00. However, it's a VERY close second.

I've never quite agreed with the hatred Domon seems to get. Obviously episode 6 shines a light on his situation but even beforehand I don't think he does anything too bad in the first few episodes. He's blunt and a bit kneejerk at times but not intentionally a dick like, say, Fon from 00F. I think it's actually a shame that the currently running manga version had to turn him into a complete boob instead of a guy who just doesn't think things through at times.

Domon's nature makes Rain the perfect partner. I love how even though she clearly hasn't got crazy cartoon martial arts skills she's shown to have other ranged skills and isn't simply 'I'm the love interest!'.

Something I really like about the early episodes is how the draws help establish Domon's honour. Michelo is taken out because he deserves it but the future Shuffles are all spared out of various forms of respect. It shows that although he arguably could beat them, he respects them too much to steal their dream.

Going back after finally completing UC I honestly expected to be feel more of a whiplash but really the carry over from Victory is pretty high, much like how there are recogniseable traces of 00 when you watch AGE. Obviously G is one of the more radical takes on Gundam but I tend to think of it as a tip of the hat to Gundam's super robot robots. I'll never understand those idiots who savage it and now more than ever.

I'd completely forgotten Stalker is introduced with a Rocky Horror ref. A visible narrator is a little goofy but Stalker works well and it reminds me of how ZZ had Judau somehow playing narrator.

That sure is one squeaky pizza Domon gets his face rubbed in.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
DuelGundam2099

Re: Rematch! Rewatching G Gundam

Who rewatches stuff? :? I never got that concept. Either way, have fun!
Xenosynth

Maybe we rewatch things because they were... you know, good? And it's impossible for human memory to just replay things exactly in our head? And maybe because you notice things in a second watch that you didn't notice before? It's the same reason we replay videogames. Even linear ones.

Anyway I was actually thinking of going back over G as well. I haven't seen it since... well, thinking about it I don't even think I finished the series except for catching the last episode. Anyway, looking forward to this thread, there hasn't been a lot of G talks all that often xD
Kratos

Any good story gets better each time you watch it. I've picked up on quite a lot by going back over shows; most recently, my regular rewatching of Unicorn has given me a great appreciation for the series that only watching each episode once probably couldn't have elicited. How can you ever say any given show is your favourite if you've only seen it once?

That aside, I love G Gundam, and it's certainly among my favourite Gundam series. I've been meaning to pick up the DVDs for years now, it's just such a fun show.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
DuelGundam2099

How can you ever say any given show is your favourite if you've only seen it once?
By just doing so.
Brave Fencer Kirby

G Gundam is definitely one of my favorites in the franchise. For all that people give it a hard time for being a silly super robot show, it's got some of the best characterization and hands-down the best romance arc in Gundam.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
HellCat

The thing that gets me are the people who say G has nothing in common with previous Gundam or try to 'help' those who are confused about it by explaining nothing at all in it is intended to be taken seriously on any level :roll: G knows that it's being silly but does it with full respect for what it's a part of and tries to tell a gripping story whilst doing it. The human characters of G are some of the best and most consistent, in my opinion. It's a real waste to see people saying they should only be taken as gags.
Xenosynth

The only things I see not to take seriously are some of the mecha designs, however, the characters and story are pretty serious. Also, the music is wonderful. I think G has one of my favorite GUndam soundtracks of all the Gundam series.
Kratos

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
How can you ever say any given show is your favourite if you've only seen it once?
By just doing so.
Fair enough, but what confuses you so much about the desire to rewatch something that one enjoys? It seems to me only natural that one would watch something more than once if they really enjoyed it, there's nothing particularly confusing about the concept at all.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
DuelGundam2099

If you've seen something before it does not seem logical to see it again unless you forgot something or are jotting down information.
teslashark

Anyone watched Robot Jox? Quite similar in some ideas.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
DuelGundam2099

I have and I enjoyed that movie. 8)
Homeless

I thought it was established that when DG2099 starts trying to make a thread about himself we're supposed to just ignore him.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
DuelGundam2099

I am not trying to make this thread about myself, I simply wondered why someone would rewatch something and so people questioned why I said it and I simply replied.

Now HellCat when do you intend this rewatchathon exactly?
Kuruni

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Who rewatches stuff? :? I never got that concept. Either way, have fun!
If you're normal human, you'll grow up. Your taste and mind frame shift slighly, and your view on certain things change, for better or worse. Back when you were kid, you don't care about romance, only action. So the "boring series with too little action scene" can be "well-done mixture of romance and action" after few years and more hormone :mrgreen: . In less dramatic case, sometime you just understand the world better. As kid, you may call certain character the messiah, after growth up and have to work to earn some dough, your opinion on the same character can shift to "idiotic idealist". No kid can sympathy with workaholic dad who never has time for his son, bur adult can.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I re-watched MacGyver last year and I found that while I still enjoyed it, it's very heavy environmentalist leanings drive me up the wall as an adult.

Back to G Gundam, I was one of those moron kids who decided that "G Gundam sucks because it's a super robot show and not real robot like the rest of Gundam!" Even though the only "super robot" I;d ever seen up until that point had been Power Rangers and I hadn't even SEEN G Gundam. Personally, I partly blame Pojo's Gundam Wing guide.
Anywho, I eventually realized what a nimrod I had been and watched the show last year and now it's one of my Top 5 Gundam shows. ALLENBY RULZ!!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
teslashark

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I re-watched MacGyver last year and I found that while I still enjoyed it, it's very heavy environmentalist leanings drive me up the wall as an adult.

Back to G Gundam, I was one of those moron kids who decided that "G Gundam sucks because it's a super robot show and not real robot like the rest of Gundam!" Even though the only "super robot" I;d ever seen up until that point had been Power Rangers and I hadn't even SEEN G Gundam. Personally, I partly blame Pojo's Gundam Wing guide.
Anywho, I eventually realized what a nimrod I had been and watched the show last year and now it's one of my Top 5 Gundam shows. ALLENBY RULZ!!
G Gundam is not merely a super robot show, it's a creative super robot show, I think. Sunrise purposefully overrode the nonsense meter to make it really enjoyable.
Newtype87

G Gundam was actually my first proper introduction to Gundam (I missed Gundam Wing when it was on the air, to the point that I was trying to figure out which nation the Wing mobile suits belonged to). My best friend and I actually MET because of G Gundam (I made an offhand reference to Domon Kasshu and he responded with the greeting of the school of the undefeated of the east. Five years later, we're still best friends), so there's a lot of good memories attached to this show. Yeah, there was some legitimately stupid stuff amongst the ridiculous stupid stuff, but overall it's still my favorite Gundam show.

Thank you for bringing this up, btw: I think I'm gonna work on rewatching it in the near future.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
HellCat

teslashark wrote: G Gundam is not merely a super robot show, it's a creative super robot show, I think. Sunrise purposefully overrode the nonsense meter to make it really enjoyable.
I don't quite think so. Based on evidence, Imagawa and his staff are to thank for how it turned out. Bandai Sunrise basically just wanted a tournament show with tons of Gundams. It was the actual show team that realised that was a terrible concept and created the Devil Gundam plot and pushed for more varied mecha designs.

Even now, the 'Needs more Gundams to sell!' mentality is a bane to directors.
teslashark

HellCat wrote:
teslashark wrote: G Gundam is not merely a super robot show, it's a creative super robot show, I think. Sunrise purposefully overrode the nonsense meter to make it really enjoyable.
I don't quite think so. Based on evidence, Imagawa and his staff are to thank for how it turned out. Bandai Sunrise basically just wanted a tournament show with tons of Gundams. It was the actual show team that realised that was a terrible concept and created the Devil Gundam plot and pushed for more varied mecha designs.

Even now, the 'Needs more Gundams to sell!' mentality is a bane to directors.
I gonna thank Imagawa, then. Got the wrong information...