Mecha Anime Wiki

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
TezukaSensei

Mecha Anime Wiki

I'm going to try my best to stay within the rules here, so I apologize in advance if I slip up.

I and a few other users on another site (which shall remain nameless) have been working on a project to collect & catalogue every single mecha anime series/ova/movie ever made. Sounds like a daunting task, especially considering the sheer number of mecha anime that has never seen the light of day in the english language. We've got a nice sizeable collection going, (I collect legal DVDs, just for the record), but we're far from finished.

We also have onsite wiki pages and other material related to our mecha project on the site. I've just started working on a "knowledgebase" section of our wiki to inform people about lesser known franchises, and studios/artists who specialize in mecha. Our numbers, (those of us working on this project), have been dwindling a little bit, though I'm hopeful some of my colleagues will return at some point. So I'm looking for a few more people to help with this project.

I've looked at mecha anime lists on this site and others like it, and I'm surprised that our project list is considerably larger than some I've seen, (including the list on this site.) I suppose, it's understandable as I already mention the fact that a large portion of mecha anime doesn't exist in the english language.

Nonetheless, knowledge is power, and it's good to share the information we've gathered in hopes that all this material one day becomes available in our native tongue. After all, SDF Macross finally got an un-roboteched english release 20+ years after it first aired in Japan.

So if you're interested in helping, feel free to PM me.

I'd also be happy to share our mecha list to help flesh out the information on this site. 8)
Last edited by TezukaSensei on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuelGundam2099

Re: Mecha Anime Collecting Project

My MAL profile is mostly mecha.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/DuelGundam2099

I also know a bunch more not on here so if you are interested I can give you a mega list via PM.
TezukaSensei

DuelGundam2099 wrote:My MAL profile is mostly mecha.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/DuelGundam2099

I also know a bunch more not on here so if you are interested I can give you a mega list via PM.
Sent you a friend request/message on MAL. I guess I should have posted this before:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/TezukaSan
2NA Fish

I wanted to do that some time ago. Started the idea but never finished because I have so many other things to do.

I'll give you a link to the list I was compiling, and you're free to use it to fill any holes you may have in yours.

http://mechalist.wikispaces.com/

Most of my information came from the following 2 books.

The Super Robots Chronicles: The History of Japanese Super Robots Animations, Takeshobo Media Books 1997
Super Robot Encyclopedia Ver. 2004, Mediaworks 2004

If you want writeups for the really obscure series, I can do exerpts from those books. PM me if you need anything.
TezukaSensei

Anyone have a list of newer mecha anime from 2010-2012?
Strike Zero

In general, a good place to give a look-over would be here:

http://www44.atwiki.jp/k2727324602/pages/1034.html

It's in Japanese, but Googling the titles along with "animenewsnetwork" should get you an English description.

I recall there being a list with even more mecha-related shows than that, but I can't seem to find the link at the moment. Will post back if I do.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Compass

I'm sorry I don't have a huge compendium, but I'll add the ones I remember off the top of my head that aren't Gundam or Macross:

Kurogane no Linebarrels
Bokurano
Blassreiter
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
TakaTahuNuva

Here ya go, I use the Japanese wiki page on "Robots in Anime" regularly to find obscure mecha series. It has all of them, categorized by type and years. If you're not sure how to read the titles, just click on a series and view the English wiki page to see which one it is.

This pic by a very dedicated mecha fan is also helpful. It has more than 400 mecha, each representing a different series. Even extremely obscure stuff like Z-Knight and Dinozaurs lol
ohhhh snap
2NA Fish

Wow. Love that picture.
Strike Zero

AHA! I finally found it. Here's another list of virtually ever mecha and mecha-related animated production that ever existed. Use it to cross-reference the one on Wikipedia.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Compass

I... I never realized that Doraemon was actually considered a mecha. My head is blown.

Would you classify stuff like Strike Witches and whatever those other Jet Girls things are as anime as well, OP? Noticed those in that giant graphic.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
DuelGundam2099

I face palmed when I saw Subaru from Nanoha Strikers on there (do not ask me how I know that).
Wingnut

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I face palmed when I saw Subaru from Nanoha Strikers on there (do not ask me how I know that).
Spoiler
She's a cyborg. Deal with it.[/story]
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Wingnut

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Cyborg but not mecha. 8)
................ :|
Most of the internet would disagree with you. "Mecha" is in fact an insanely broad definition which easily covers Subaru. But that's for another topic if one wants to make it, so don't bother bringing it up further here.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
DuelGundam2099

Most of the internet would disagree with you.
Most of the internet disagrees with a lot of things I think.
"Mecha" is in fact an insanely broad definition which easily covers Subaru.
I don't know, she technically isn't a war machine manipulated through a human pilot/controller. Not to mention the series itself isn't mecha and if simply having a mechanical entity is enough to get classified as such where is Neo Ranga in that picture? I don't see Big ASE anywhere.
Compass

Doraemon technically isn't a war machine either.

OR HAVE I BEEN WRONG ALL THIS TIME? :oops:
Sume Gai

In anime "mecha design" deals with anything classified as Mechanical. From robots to cars, from steam punk to hyper futuristic, so yes Cyborgs are most definitely "Mecha"
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
TezukaSensei

Personally, I use a very broad definition of the term "mecha." I classify it as anything robotic, wether it be a sentient mechanical character, a piloted robot (by remote or from within), or cyborg (partly mechanical, partly organic.)

Truthfully, some of my favourites in the genre are sentient kind, especially the "pinnochio" (Astro Boy, Kikaider, Key the Metal Idol, etc.) variety.

Somewhere I have to draw the line though. For example: Strike Witches. I'm sorry, but sticking jet engines on a girl's legs does not a mecha make.

Edit: In other news...
Geronimo: The Mecha Anime Wiki

During my research I noticed a lack of info on mecha anime on wikipedia, and even on anidb & ANN. Yes, some are covered fairly well, but for alot of others not so much. Even this website's material is far from complete, (no offense.) This will also make it alot easier for interested people to contribute to this project. The wiki I made also includes the ginormous list of mecha anime I've compiled from the earliest known examples back in the 60s up to stuff from today and anounced buy as yet unreleased material. 8)

Also, an extravegant no-prize to the person who can guess where the name "Geronimo" comes from. (Hint: It's NOT the historical native american. 8) )
2NA Fish

Re: Mecha Anime Wiki

Coming along really nicely. :D