GM Sniper II manual

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
balofo

GM Sniper II manual

Since this is the first time we have an official of this MS, wondering if there's anything interesting in the manual. Isn't the Sniper Rifle real ammo based and therefore useless for MS combat? Also saw somewhere that the rifle is 75mm but no mention here.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9lDw48xcClw/U ... 600/26.jpg
http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig19/10193070k.jpg
http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig19/10193070k2.jpg
Calubin_175

Re: GM Sniper II manual

Sniper rifle is recoilless and fires solid rounds. Non sniper MS can use it for close to mid range combat. I think only Giren's Greed and G Generation had it as beam, other books suggested that it is solid as well.

Oh bloody TiS had it as beam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOcSQW-fKWE

Unlike the GM Sniper Custom, the GM Sniper II is only reserved for sniping use, as it maintains its versatility and boosts overall stats from the base model. Spec wise, it is above the Gundam, which makes it one of the few Federation MS that are able to fight individually on an equal footing against the Gelgoog. It might be said that Anaheim engineers designed the Nemo based on cues from the GM Sniper II. This is pretty much just Izubuchi trying to bridge the gap between Okawara designs and ones form Zeta Gundam
PowerdGNFlag

The Gundam Battle games on the PSP also have it as a beam, and the White Dingo version (which will be/was released as a Bandai Online exclusive) has a different rifle model altogether.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
toysdream

Actually, the manual says that "However, this doesn't mean that this machine is exclusively for sniper attacks, and like the converted RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom which earned a high valuation during the initial deployment of the GM series, this machine was also designed to improve overall performance while maintaining its versatility."

The thruster layout - with two main verniers in the backpack, and large vernier thrusters in each leg - was inherited by later models like the Nemo and Jegan. It's suggested that the Nemo may have been developed by disgruntled GM Sniper II development staff who opposed the Titans.

-- Mark
Evex

I wouldn't say the solid firing sniper rifle is useless. You have to remember that a mobile suit is very vulnerable in its head, and where the cockpit of the mobile suit is located, or its joints like the knees and elbows. A solid firing weapon also gives off no heat, and range isn't affected by the atmosphere. Given that the GM Sniper II is designed with the idea of keeping a low heat profile. A solid firing sniper rifle doesn't surprise me, since it generates no heat and the bullets path can't be easily traced. The GM Sniper II can also use the original GM Snipers long beam rifle a.k.a beam sniper rifle. I'm assuming the solid based sniper rifle also came about, since the long range beam rifle hadn't been perfected yet. The GM sniper II still had to have it connected to a cooling system to make effective use of it.

From Gundam: Lost War Chronicles
Gelgoog Jager

I think that one of the biggest issues with using a ballistic rifle against Zeon MS is that many of them have heavy armor (namely units like the Gogg or Dom series), especially when compared with the GM series. Unless they managed to knock the main cameras, they might not be able to do much damage with individual rounds.
AmuroNT1

PowerdGNFlag wrote:The Gundam Battle games on the PSP also have it as a beam, and the White Dingo version (which will be/was released as a Bandai Online exclusive) has a different rifle model altogether.
That would be the long-range beam rifle first seen wielded by the GM Sniper (no bloody II, III, or Custom :P) in 08th MS Team:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/08thms ... mrifle.jpg

Interestingly, the web-exclusive Dingo Sniper also comes with the railcannon wielded by M-MSV's RGM-79F Land Combat GM and the White Dingos' custom middle shield.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

found this image with more info on Sniper II armaments, a Hyaku Shiki beam rifle?

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/9504/sniperii.jpg
AmuroNT1

My cruddy, off-the-cuff translation:

"The SP-type is equipped with the same tuned-up generator as the G- and GS-types. This allows it to equip high-output beam rifles. Thus a sample second-generation beam rifle was designed, incorporating cutting-edge design concepts."
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Evex

AmuroNT1 wrote:My cruddy, off-the-cuff translation:

"The SP-type is equipped with the same tuned-up generator as the G- and GS-types. This allows it to equip high-output beam rifles. Thus a sample second-generation beam rifle was designed, incorporating cutting-edge design concepts."
That's probably not actually to far off. If we look at the MAHQ entry for the GM Sniper II it says "The GM Sniper II is based on the in-development RGM-79G GM Command...". Even the Gundam Official entry states that the GM Sniper II is based on the RGM-79G GM Command model. Gundam official also mentions that the GM sniper II armor is reinforced with pieces of lunar titanium. The site also states that the suits visor contains a precision laser sensor and powerful zoom camera.

Given that the GM Sniper II is based on the GM Command, I'm not surprised that it would have a next generation beam rifle, or a prototype of one. This is because according to Gundam official, the GM Command was designed to gather data for the next generation of federation mobile suits.

Gundam Official GM sniper II entry
Gundam Official entry on GM Command
toysdream

The text snippet balofo posted (I'm not sure where it comes from) actually says that "the SP type is equipped with a further tuned-up type of the G and GS types' generator." I don't think that's really claimed in other sources, though, and it's not reflected in the official specs.

-- Mark
balofo

It's from the: Gundam Mobile Suit File series. Here's the scans for the Gm Command, hopefully there's more useful info

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/163/gmcommandmsfile.jpg
Gelgoog Jager

Since no one has asked, any interesting info on the RH-35E Draken, included with this HG modle kit?

I particualrly wanted to know:

1- Who built it: Side 6, the Prinicpality Zeon or the E.F. (I know that at least both Side 6 and Zeon use it)?

2- Can it really use a beam saber?
Cardi Doorl

The MAHQ profile, at least, claims that Riah built them. When did Zeon deploy Draken-E?
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Gelgoog Jager

A green one with different manipulators is seen loading the nuke into the Graf Zeppelin in 0080. You can see a pic of it on the model kit box. Check the 4th pic of this post.
Calubin_175

The Draken E, known as a middle MS, was originally a civilian construction use machine, but it is now adopted for peace keeping and riot suppression. Both the Federation and principality uses it.
Evex

balofo wrote:It's from the: Gundam Mobile Suit File series. Here's the scans for the Gm Command, hopefully there's more useful info

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/163/gmcommandmsfile.jpg
That looks like the same data from the mobile suit gundam illustrated books just condensed. I can't read Japanese, so I'm assuming its a condensing of the GM Cold climate type, GM Command and GM Command space type.
toysdream wrote:
The text snippet balofo posted (I'm not sure where it comes from) actually says that "the SP type is equipped with a further tuned-up type of the G and GS types' generator." I don't think that's really claimed in other sources, though, and it's not reflected in the official specs.

-- Mark

I looked back at the model kit images, on the grounds of the GM Sniper II using a higher powered version of the GM Command generator, and that claim is false. Looking at the images and profiles I can say that the GM Sniper II is based off of the GM Command and GM Command space type. If the GM Sniper II generator was "further tuned-up" its rating would be higher then the GM Command Space Types 1,390 kw, which isn't the case. This leaves me to believe the GM Sniper II uses the same generator as the GM Command Space Type, since both generators have an output of 1,390 kw.
Compass

I'm somewhat confused by the statements that solid rounds are not suitable for MS combat. The Hildolfr from MS Igloo used a cannon firing solid rounds to great effect against Zaku IIs during the OYW.

Arguably, a direct hit to a suit, even if it didn't penetrate, would transfer all the kinetic energy to the suit, no? I imagine a 75cm round hitting a mobile suit anywhere would knock it off balance if the armor did manage to stop it.

(PS not a MS mechanic please don't hurt meh D:)
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Gelgoog Jager

Compass wrote:I'm somewhat confused by the statements that solid rounds are not suitable for MS combat. The Hildolfr from MS Igloo used a cannon firing solid rounds to great effect against Zaku IIs during the OYW.

Arguably, a direct hit to a suit, even if it didn't penetrate, would transfer all the kinetic energy to the suit, no? I imagine a 75cm round hitting a mobile suit anywhere would knock it off balance if the armor did manage to stop it.

(PS not a MS mechanic please don't hurt meh D:)
The Hildolfr has a 300mm main gun which fires armor piercing rounds among other different types of ammo. For comparison, a Zaku machinegun has a 120mm caliber, while a magella gun, a handheld cannon, has a caliber of 175mm.

I don't know the caliber of the GM Sniper II's rifle, but GM machineguns do use lower calibers, namely 90mm and 100mm.
Compass

Yeah, I read it wrong. Didn't realize it had a 300mm and not 30mm cannon oops X_X
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex