AoZ: The Traitor to Destiny Mechanics

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Cardi Doorl

Re: AoZ: The Traitor to Destiny Mechanics

Doesn't the ORX prefix denote an Augusta design? That's what I presumed Mark was referring to.

Edit: Wait, I see that Oakland is mentioned in the text, but my awful Japanese reading comprehension isn't good enough to figure out what it's saying beyond that. Hm...
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Deacon Blues

It says A variable mobile suit developed at the Oakland labs as an accompanying unit for guarding the ORX-007 Hati. Although equipped with psycho wave equipment (shaman frame), in order to operate at full spec, it has to maintain a distance of approximately 10,000 meters from the Hati and has to maintain a mutual link with the system. The shield is equipped with countless close-range defense weapons. When the computer predicts the projectile impacts, a rocket is automatically fired, spreading a beam diffusing curtain. Production on a portion of the armor parts wasn't finished in time so the unit launched in an incomplete state provided with an anti-beam coating on its nanocarbon exterior.

Both the Hati and the Skoll were developed at the Oakland Labs.
toysdream

Oh yeah, the AoZ series seems to have been trying for a rolling retcon on that point.

In the original Zeta series, it appears that Asshimar pilot Buran Blutarch is deployed from the Oakland Newtype lab, and the next episode we're told that Gaplant pilot Rosamia is attached to the Augusta lab. Following suit, all the old sources agreed that the ORX-series machines came from the Augusta lab - for example, the Gundam Mark V from Gundam Sentinel. At that point, the "O" presumably came from オーガスタ (oogasuta), the kana spelling of "Augusta".

The original AoZ series, however, claimed that the Gaplant was developed by the Oakland lab instead. It looks like the sequel series is sticking to that claim.

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

Now I'm kind of sad because my home state's one contribution to Gundam is being phased out. Aw well.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Cardi Doorl

You can do like I do and just ignore AoZ :)

Or if you don't want to do that, you can remember that cyber newtypes like Rosamia were experimented on in Augusta (unless AoZ retcons that as well). And the Gundam Alex is still developed there. So you still get your regional pride thing.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Homeless

Although equipped with psycho wave equipment (shaman frame), in order to operate at full spec, it has to maintain a distance of approximately 10,000 meters from the Hati and has to maintain a mutual link with the system.
So does this mean the Skoll controls the Hati, the Hati enhances the Skoll, or what?
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
bilbros

So does this mean the Skoll controls the Hati, the Hati enhances the Skoll, or what?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the most correct hypothesis is the second one... In any case some analogies with the LRX- series mobile suits seen in Monoeye Gundams (i.e. a MA-type unit with a Gundam-class defence unit, equipped with a weapon-laden shield) are quite evident.

Back for a moment on the Augusta/Oakland issue, if I remember correctly, The Encyclopedia of Gundam claims that the Oakland Newtype Laboratories developed most of the NRX- and ORX- machines, which are subsequently tested, refined and modified by the Augusta labs: this seems to reconcile the two existing versions of the story :wink:
Deacon Blues

So in glossing over this story for a huge character and mecha overhaul on my website, I noticed that the author gives us a flashback to the Delaz Conflict a la Ewen Bader (a Captain at the time):
Captain Bader opened the throttle on his beloved unit, the Bigro, and began his assault on the Cima Fleet. The machine was requisitioned after the war for testing and was modified for combat again. It was painted white with an EFSF logo on it so that it would standout and not be mistaken for a Delaz Fleet machine. But, because the Federation Forces still lacked machines that could capture the Bigro, there was no need to worry about friendly fire.
I know what some of you are thinking... "Silly Deacky, it's a novel! It's not official!" but I'm still scratching my head over how (or why) the author did this.
Dendrobium Stamen

Presumably, to show it wasn't just Zeon's MS the Federation were putting into use for evaluation purposes (Zaku II F2, Gelgoog Marine, et al) but also the MA they could get their hands on?

First-hand experience with captured Zeon tech seems to have helped shape the direction of post-Stardust Federation design, with the Hizack as the prime example, so having a captured/reverse-engineered Bigro would go some way to justifying the later development of the "native" GP03, and other Federation mobile armours?
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Imperial

Playing devil's advocate: We do see the Federation rying to move back to its big fleet mentality with Salamis refits that lack MS facilities.

With something as big as Stardust looming overhead, the Fed commanders who had half a brain probably scrambled everything they could possibly throw at the Zeons, right down to captured mobile armors.

It also ties into the MSV extravaganza we see in Unicorn. The Federation isn't above keeping clunkers on hand, and the severity of another colony drop probably inspired enough terror that the Feds weren't bothering to quibble over who built what.
This space for rent
Deacon Blues

Well, that particular scene took place around the time Cima defected (he's with the Earth Orbital Fleet, so). Not sure how/why/where they would have got one.
yazi88

Anyone got info on Kestral's Full Armor mode and High Maneuver?
Deacon Blues

So in the latest "continuation" of the AOZ series, the extra chapter called 'Mace of Judgement', the Hamma Hamma appears, but it's piloted by someone named Hans Schmidt. So I guess that means more than one unit was produced... :/

Hooray for retcons!
yazi88

Go figure, another AoZ sidestory, although its pretty interesting in that it revolves around the 1st Neo Zeon war which is rarely treaded upon aside from Gundam Sentinel and Mirage of Zeon and of course Gundam ZZ.
Gelgoog Jager

Deacon Blues wrote:So in the latest "continuation" of the AOZ series, the extra chapter called 'Mace of Judgement', the Hamma Hamma appears, but it's piloted by someone named Hans Schmidt. So I guess that means more than one unit was produced... :/

Hooray for retcons!
Is there any indication of when does this second Hamma Hamma appears? The original Hamma Hamma wasn't destroyed, so I suppose it could have been handed to someone else. The other way around sounds unlikely given that Mashymere's unit had to be reassembled and was apparently aprt of the set of 3 prototype MS that his ship was given for testing purposes.
Deacon Blues

yazi88 wrote:Go figure, another AoZ sidestory, although its pretty interesting in that it revolves around the 1st Neo Zeon war which is rarely treaded upon aside from Gundam Sentinel and Mirage of Zeon and of course Gundam ZZ.
Actually it takes place AFTER the first Neo Zeon war:

The year is U.C. 0089, one year following the conclusion of the first Neo Zeon war. The protagonist of the story, Jorn Juliana, pilots the Gullinbursti in a battle against Neon Zeon remnants and the ultraleft terrorist organization Kamerad!

You can view details here.
Gelgoog Jager

Does it says how many Neo Zeon forces survived the Zeon Civil War, or if these Neo Zeon remnants didn't participate in that battle?

Besides the Hamma Hamma which was a high spec prototype for officers, I find odd the other machines they have:

Gaza C - by that point it should have been replaced by the Gaza D, unless it was a backwater base/unit.
ReGelg - By U.C. 0089 it should be considered an outdated machine, also given to backwater bases.
Schuzrum Dias - a MS only seen used by Satou's forces which seemed to belong to the Republic of Zeon rather than to Haman's Neo Zeon. Last seen alongside Mashymere forces at Core 3. No idea how could they have survived. Most likely a another batch was made.

Then there's also the Musais which were never really seen among Haman's forces at any point.