The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-7

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-7

There was nothing in GSD other than good mech designs, a good OST, and the concept of forcing your opinion through force. I'd rather ignore it.
I can understand, but if you're going to say something encompasses the entire gundam timeline it kind of helps not to ignore specific entries based on the "I don't like it" concept. :wink:
YazanGable

HellCat wrote:I think the Gunhales fall under AGE's half arsed use of the 3 generations concept. Not everyone needs to appear in every generation and nor do their bloodline but the show could be handling this better, especially when characters like Millais and Arisa just vanish. Asemu's arc was also bad since Desil was wasted and Grodek's use was just rushed.
This, really.

The 3 generations idea has gone from being one of the show's strongest assets to its Achilles' Heel. The mandatory appearances of the Gunhales are the biggest problem with this.

Arisa could have been another person's kid entirely as her relation to Dique adds nothing to the story, and Wootbit so far has added even LESS to things.

As to the ship-sinking allegation. The problem with that is that it assumes the show considered Arisa as having a serious chance with Asemu. Looking at it again, that's more fan wishful thinking. Yeah, she does more with Asemu than Max and Obright do, but that's because
a) They only got 15~ episodes to write with
b) Obright had his own storyline to sort out
and
c) Speaking of useless characters, say hi Max.

Plus, the way she looks out for Asemu seems less romantic, more sisterly (and before anyone mentions the ass-slap, let's not forget she points out that's a family thing to her.)

Granted, this show has been so ultimately terrible with writing romance, it seems like people are going for any bone the writers will throw them (...at least this one didn't require a montage with happy music playing. This show has been recycling its own writing tricks a bit much for only 50 eps.) Thanks to them introducing the kids in advance, they have no real need to create tension, so they just sort of hang back and don't really bother with it unless they intend to kill a girl for some tearjerking effect.
If anything, I just wish they'd stop saying so many designs came from Mardona. The backstory suggests various MS Smith families, yet we only ever hear from them.
I've just learned to take this in stride as part of the stunted world-building that's been happening since Gen-1.

Consider, if you will, just how little we actually know about the colony spread at this point. Colonies seem extremely spaced out and only appearing as matters of convenience at this point. Have we even confirmed the existence of 10 yet?

Madorna's kind of a similar case of that "There's all sorts of MS design families out there. But because they aren't really important to this story, we won't discuss them or their work here. Maybe you might get something from them in a sidestory though, so keep buying them manga!"
Arbiter GUNDAM

Kinda late to the party but here are some of my thoughts on the last episode.

First, some theories. I think that episode 43 will finish up the battle here at the Lunar base, 44 will be some kind of transitional episode and the remaining five will be a race to the EXA-DB to stop Ezelcant from using it. (I doubt this show will go for the rumored 52 episodes)

On to Gerard/Reina Spriggan. When we didn't know why her first name was Gerard it was odd, now that we do know, I suppose it's no odder than a certain braided baka calling himself Duo after his best friend Solo died. :) However, I agree that it's kinda late to be introducing a character like her. Also it's pretty obvious that her spending time on her backstory is meant to pad things out. While her story was unusually well written for AGE, I have to roll my eyes at any attempts to make the Feds look incompetent at this point.
What should have happened is that the characters of Shanalua and Spriggan should have been combined into a single character (Shanalua Spriggan? Reina Mullen?) and have been there from the start of this arc or earlier. And while I usually enjoy the mentally unbalanced characters in Gundam (Lady Une for example), I think being mad with grief actually isn't helping her character.

Flit's really getting his rage on isn't he? Also, I think DAT EINUS is getting ready to make her stand (I hope).

I really want Fram Nara to either die or give up piloting. Everytime the Fawnfarsia (shudder) is on screen I want to reach through the screen and rip it apart with my bare hands.

That's it for now.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
YazanGable

Based on his dismissive nature of her, there is a small part of me that hopes Spriggan's backstory is gonna turn up some dirty laundry from Flit's past. If only cause the show really seems to be waffling on wanting to paint him as outright wrong at this point. So they make him a hateful old man, but still seem to allow him enough control of himself to keep fostering that hate and have nothing bad come of it (yet.)
It's a long shot...but let me dream.

Also, I think you're on to something about padding, Arbiter.
Especially when the episode before took a few minutes to give us a full montage flashback of events that happened not even five episodes ago.

Say what you will for SEED, its flashbacks, while many, were usually kept brief.
Cybaster

YazanGable wrote:As to the ship-sinking allegation. The problem with that is that it assumes the show considered Arisa as having a serious chance with Asemu. Looking at it again, that's more fan wishful thinking. Yeah, she does more with Asemu than Max and Obright do, but that's because
a) They only got 15~ episodes to write with
b) Obright had his own storyline to sort out
and
c) Speaking of useless characters, say hi Max.

Plus, the way she looks out for Asemu seems less romantic, more sisterly (and before anyone mentions the ass-slap, let's not forget she points out that's a family thing to her.)
No trace of any of that in the anime, I agree (no surprise there, either), but apparently it's a lot more implicitly stated in the novelization that Arisa had feelings for Asemu throughout much of the Second Generation (in fact, from what I could make of that Japanese Wikipedia entry, Arisa first met Asemu when they're on opposing teams in a MS competition during their high school years and had even been a guest at his birthday party, as opposed to on the Diva in the anime). Now, the third novel was released in June of 2012, two months after the first episode of the Third Generation ever aired; Assuming the novel's contents *do* at least somewhat go through Level-5, this either means Arisa's differing feelings for Asemu was added in in response to the fans after the Second Generation was finished, or had always been planned in the novel but was changed by Level-5 in the anime (probably to prevent a repeat of Flit and Yurin), or pretty much just written that way to make Arisa more useful but accidentally also teasing that pairing's fans.

Either way, one segment of the fanbase is getting trolled, and I'm still having a hard time convincing myself that Wootbit wasn't put in there just for ship sinking.
Last edited by Cybaster on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
DuelGundam2099

Here's a weird theory I came up with: What if the series in the Gundam franchise were a reflection of the Ultraman franchise and Age is the Cosmos equivalent? I mean think about it:
Spoiler
-Ultra Q/MSG 0079: Primitive entry, first of it's kind, lots of rough patches that need to be ironed out, has not aged well, foreign releases questionable with a specific episode, etc.

-Ultraman/Zeta: Classic, refined, most other entries follow this as the pinnacle example, etc.

-Ultraseven/Double Zeta: Massive tone difference, climatic final battles, early half episodes with notoriety attached to them, etc.

-Ultraman Jack/Victory: Television return, first real updates in the franchise, does little with previous entries of the timeline, similar ending to the "classic" entry, left out by many fans, etc. also my favorite of the original timeline. :P

-Ultraman Ace/G: Over the top violence, first "throughout series" villain that plagues the hero, first entry with a (serious) romance subplot, realism tossed out the window, etc.

-Ultraman Taro/Wing: Fan favorite, many one sided fights, main hero is obnoxiously strong, bad guys have lapses in judgement, etc.

-Ultraman Leo/X: Apocalyptic, alienates audiences at the time while brings one years later, took itself seriously, likeable hero, genuinely evil bad guy, etc.

-Ultraman 80/Turn A: Second TV revival, mystery elements, title hero never loses...... Actually, bad comparison, 80 was actually awesome and did not rely on cheap weapons.

-Ultraman Tiga/SEED: Major rejuvenation of the franchise, not liked by older fans, liked by newer fans, very up to date for it's time, music is praised, etc.

-Ultraman Dyna/Destiny: Most people dislike, mostly fans of the previous entry, title human hero is named Shin Asuka (not kidding), next to nobody liked the ending, etc.; also my favorite of the franchise. :P

-Ultraman Gaia/00: Tries to be different, alienates some fans, tries to be more serious than other entries, deals with traitors, title hero gets incredibly strong upgrade, etc.

-Ultraman Cosmos/Age: Very "childish" to most fans, attempts to have the most episodes of the franchise (if the rumor of Age being 52 eps is correct), poor writing, few likeable bad guys, tries too hard at homages from older entries, canon stories outside the main series referenced, etc.

If this is true, then Bandai will most likely make a much darker gundam series or at least similar to Nexus where Japanese fans don't care for it but Western fans love it. I would compare Neos to Unicorn, but Neos fans don't treat it like the second coming of Christ or hate it because of too much action. :P
Chris
Administrator

The last post about themes in AGE was reaching as is, but at least it was about the Gundam franchise. Now you're trying to force comparisons to a completely different franchise. Seriously, I doubt the writers are looking to create these mega deep thematic connections you all keep trying to make.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
ShadowCell

the fact that Kio looks so much like Romary meant that the AsemuXArisa ship, to continue the nautical metaphor, was never seaworthy to begin with and was scrapped when only the keel had been laid in the drydock. Wootbit doesn't really make sense as a ship-sinker because there really wasn't a ship to sink in the first place.
Cybaster

ShadowCell wrote:the fact that Kio looks so much like Romary meant that the AsemuXArisa ship, to continue the nautical metaphor, was never seaworthy to begin with and was scrapped when only the keel had been laid in the drydock. Wootbit doesn't really make sense as a ship-sinker because there really wasn't a ship to sink in the first place.
Hmm. Point noted, subject dropped. Meh.

Although I wonder if Level-5 creating Asemu and Kio with their mothers' respective hair colors right before the series even started was deliberate in itself for that especial reason: So fans and viewers won't tear the fandom apart with pointless arguing about who should be with who, as had happened in many other fandoms (the Gundam Wing and Harry Potter examples are particularly noteworthy). No room for speculation means no fighting over it in the first place, after all...

...on second thought, nah, I'm probably overthinking this. No self-respecting anime creator really cares about what the fans think, anyway. :roll:
The last post about themes in AGE was reaching as is, but at least it was about the Gundam franchise. Now you're trying to force comparisons to a completely different franchise. Seriously, I doubt the writers are looking to create these mega deep thematic connections you all keep trying to make.
I guess it's often better for viewers to believe that Level-5 is trying to actually go somewhere mega-enlightening with how AGE is turning out than to believe that Level-5 just plain dropped the ball with the story...Just like Fukuda and SEED Destiny, who keeps insisting even years later that Shinn is the main protagonist and probably likes to pretend the Kira Yamato mid-series switch never happened. :P
Last edited by Cybaster on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amion

Soma Taozi wrote:
Amion wrote: Really though, if you find symbolism you approve of in it, Zaru, I wouldn't feel bad about it. Put into AGE what you want to, and you'll enjoy it.
That last sentence Amion perfectly describes my experience with Age, thank you for this. :) And I couldn't agree more!

Why thank you, Soma. :) I'm glad there's others aside myself who are enjoying AGE this way.

Edit after reading multiple posts:

Well, looks like Wootbit's become popular for someone who's got less screentime than a dead girl (Lu). flashbacks included of course. :wink:
Last edited by Amion on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
DuelGundam2099

who keeps insisting even years later that Shinn is the main protagonist and probably likes to pretend the Kira Yamato mid-series switch never happened.
Which is true, Shinn was always the main protag, the only difference is that they made him evil. Just because someone is the protagonist does not mean they are automatically the good guy or vice versa.
Cybaster

Well, looks like Wootbit's become popular for someone who's got less screentime than a dead girl (Lu). flashbacks included of course. :wink:
Damnit, man, I was having pizza! Nearly snorted cheese up my nose laughing...

You, sir, just plain win. :mrgreen:
Arbiter GUNDAM

Considering the focus on Mars in this series, it should be noted that NASA's Curiosity rover will be landing on Mars in 3 days.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

Heard about that on the Colbert Report last night, I look forward. 8)
Amion

Cybaster wrote:
Damnit, man, I was having pizza! Nearly snorted cheese up my nose laughing...

You, sir, just plain win. :mrgreen:
Just be thankful it wasn't spaghetti. I made that mistake once while watching One Piece... :)

Now we know why our parents always said no tv while we eat.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
nacho-wan

As most people here, I think Gerald is too little too late. And I don't think that the writers are going to use her as dirt coming from Flits closet, but it would be a welcoming change to his character: from failed savior to a despicable leader like those that shunned Grunt aside after the Ambat blattle.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Kei Katsuragi

Sweet Arbiter, you and I both thought of the Shanalua/Spriggan fusion. I know Shanalua was just a plot device created to make Kio understand the weight of war, but brevity is the soul of wit. If the writers wanted to make a point of that sort of development for Kio then having him start in the military probably would of been a good choice. Especially since the Asuno family has been pretty militaristic up to this point. Wouldn't be completely out of left field to have the third Asuno be in the military from get-go.

Also, I think the real reason why Asemu and Kio look like their mothers instead of their dads is because Sunrise/Bandai/Level-5 didn't want two protagonists looking the same. Could you imagine two blue haired protagonists? They wouldn't be special that way.
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
who keeps insisting even years later that Shinn is the main protagonist and probably likes to pretend the Kira Yamato mid-series switch never happened.
Which is true, Shinn was always the main protag, the only difference is that they made him evil. Just because someone is the protagonist does not mean they are automatically the good guy or vice versa.
^ No you
GX9900-Gundam-X

Its sad Shanalua and Spriggan having similar set up could have been used more effectively like say have Spriggan be the female on the team turn coat in the gundam capture (Maybe shoot down Flit while Zanald gets Kio) it would have gone far better than what their doing now
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
YazanGable

Another vote for mixing Shanalua and Spriggan. Though of the two, I'd vote Spriggan's backstory override. Shanalua's just felt hastily added in and, honestly, didn't really make much sense (does the EF not provide any sort of coverage for her sister here? That's pretty standard with a lot of military forces.)

Plus, her secretly harboring anti-EF sentiments would make for a more interesting story than them trying to wring out another awkward, underdeveloped tragedy.
DuelGundam2099

Here is a vote against, it is more powerful to show feddie corruption when it happens to more than one person rather than only one.