The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-7

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
GX9900-Gundam-X

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-7

HellCat wrote:http://www.gundam.info/product/1135 Character songs!

Emily will sing 'Lucky Silver Medal'. Asemu to perform a remix on Volume 2.
For some reason i really hope he sings a Jazz remix
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
DuelGundam2099

Character songs!
Not looking forward.
Cybaster

GX9900-Gundam-X wrote:For some reason i really hope he sings a Jazz remix
"WE ARE BISIDIAN! BISIDIAN PIRATES!!!"

...sorry, couldn't resist. :P
Emily will sing 'Lucky Silver Medal'.
Ha. Will that be the day. :roll: That's doubly funny because that reminds me of an image someone posted on 4ch quite some time ago, with elderly Emily smirking and the words "Silver Medal?" "Better than Purple Heart." printed over it. Talk about being smug someone died. :P
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Sume Gai

It's pretty much undeniable fact that Flit killed high level (secret) negotiations at the end of Arc 2. Of course at the same time we all know said negotiations were not in good faith. In the end it's actually a pretty interesting wrong vs wrong situation that didn't get the focus it really should have.

Flit didn't want peace and Excelcant wouldn't have ever been willing to give it.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
teslashark

E08 wrote:
teslashark wrote: The device being experimented is Flit's bootlegged Mucell, so maybe that's why Flit launched to tell his grandson stop talking. Since Kio is the intended user of the XR device, so he sure has a lot of talking to do if Rena finds out.
Isnt it a bit too early to say that device is created by Flit and is intended for Kio? Although we are not told when the testing take place, the most likely period is slightly before Asemu's arc(if the G-Bouncer lookalike turns out to be the original unit before Woolf's customization) and after it(if that unit is a MP version of G-Bouncer). It doesnt make sense that they are testing a G-Bouncer lookalike if it took place after Kio is born cause that seems a bit too late....

Flit's attitude towards Girard is similar to how he asked Kio to forget about Asemu becasue he is now a pirate and not with the EF.
G-Bouncer lookalikes won't be hard to get after the second arc because Madona's factory is still producing a whole lot of their brandname MSs for the pirates. The government sure can also order something.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Compass

Based on Gerrard Spriggan's suit, is it safe to assume that the Federation had developed bits before Vagan? Because if that's the case, something smells rotten. Wouldn't bits and funnels be EXADB-level tech? We only saw bits/funnels once before the theoretical chronological build time of Spriggan's suit, and that was in the first arc, no?
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Amion

Compass wrote:Based on Gerrard Spriggan's suit, is it safe to assume that the Federation had developed bits before Vagan? Because if that's the case, something smells rotten. Wouldn't bits and funnels be EXADB-level tech? We only saw bits/funnels once before the theoretical chronological build time of Spriggan's suit, and that was in the first arc, no?

A good point, although one could argue the fact that the machines exploding showed they didn't have the technology down pat, even if the system was turned up to hazardous levels...

And did we actually see the G-bouncer tests suits using bits? I only saw Spriggan using them during the actual lunar battle, not during the time-skip. The technology might not have been completely finished.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Chris
Administrator

Compass wrote:Based on Gerrard Spriggan's suit, is it safe to assume that the Federation had developed bits before Vagan? Because if that's the case, something smells rotten. Wouldn't bits and funnels be EXADB-level tech? We only saw bits/funnels once before the theoretical chronological build time of Spriggan's suit, and that was in the first arc, no?
No, the Federation didn't develop them first, because the Farsia had the technology more than 50 years ago. Spriggan isn't in her sixties, so there's no way her bits predate the Vagans.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Overlord Zaru

Besdes, Spriggan's suit's giant Gunpods were more bigger than the Farsia's rose bits. This is probably their attempt at making it.

Also, here is something wrote for AGE concerning Kio and the UNDERSTANDING stuff.

Flit is the old UC hero, on the shelf and obsessed with a goal. Like Char and Amuro's obsession to kill each other after Zeta, or like the UC villains of Haman and Scirocco.

Asem is in the middle, representing the protagonists shown in the 90s, like Heero and UC sidestories. He has bad luck run him over with a truck(Gen 2 with no X-Rounder power, Romary pulling a Nina, and being shown up by his old man) like Kou but he rose above it after the straw broke the camel's back. Now he fights in his own way and not how his father wanted him to be.

And Kio represents the protagonists of the 2000s. Kira(in SEED, not GSD) was just a normal Coordinator in PC school before ZAFT fucked his life over, but he was a kind kid at heart and he didn't want to kill and as Uzumi says it, "keep the the cycle of hatred going". This was brought in full force when Athrun killed Tolle and Kira killing Nicol and both parties realize how grim they can be(Athrun feeling guilty after everything after his talk with Cagalli is proof). And Setsuna was twisted by world at large and sought change no matter what, but he realized his errors by being led by the hand of FUCKING RIBBONS and he and CB broke away and tried to repair the damage they have done, kinda like Kio is trying to do currently between the EF and Mars after Lu's died. And there's also the Innovator brain magic that helped bring UNDERSTANDING along with Marina's near Relena's like pacifism. And of course we have Banagher, a normal Newtype who wants to save the girl he likes and meets people along the way who are good people but are bent on killing each due to the actions of the people up top(Martha and Frontal) and he, like any other Japanese kid his age, doesn't want the senseless rampant cycle of hatred to continue in the turbulent UC.

That is Gundam AGE. A retelling of the Gundam series over the passage of time condensed into 50 episodes, it's brightest and darkest colors melded onto it's canvas.

The show as it is now is like a timeline, the protags of AGE are like the timeline of Gundam.

Flit=UC=Fallen Heroes(Amuro is dead, Kamille got brain f*cked. Leaving ZZ out of it due to it's being subjective, but I guess Judau failing to save the ones he wants to save ala Puru and Puru 2 and Haman could count).

Asem=90s UC/AU=Incomplete(Kou was a screwed over Protag, Heero was screwed over for most of the series until his confession to Relena in the last several episodes, Uso's SUFFERING, and Garrod's series being shelved)

Kio=Present UC/AU=Savior. Kira in SEED tried to be a savior to stop the fighting but lost several friends(Flay and Tolle for instance. I'm ignoring GSD because F that show). Setsuna realized the errors of his ways and sought to end the fighting with both sides getting to know one another through Innovator pixie dust(as Japan has no military and doesn't like Tom Clancy, this works). And we have Banagher being the man who knows both sides of the conflict and wants the cycle of hatred to stop like with Audrey, and has the power to make a difference.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
DuelGundam2099

The show as it is now is like a timeline, the protags of AGE are like the timeline of Gundam.
Leaving ZZ
I'm ignoring GSD because F that show
Oh the hypocrisy.
Asem=90s UC/AU=Incomplete(Kou was a screwed over Protag, Heero was screwed over for most of the series until his confession to Relena in the last several episodes, Uso's SUFFERING, and Garrod's series being shelved)
Kou I can understand, the rest not so much. Also funny how you leave out Seabrook from F91 or Shiro from 08th MS Team or even that wimp that piloted the non-Kunio Okawara made godly gundam that wasn't that impresive. Going with that logic, would episode 28 be the equivalent of G-Saviour? Also going along those lines, Kio's arc should eventually make references to MS IGLOO any day now.
Chris
Administrator

Overlord Zaru wrote:Also, here is something wrote for AGE concerning Kio and the UNDERSTANDING stuff.
Nice theory, but I think that you're overthinking things. Not all of your comparisons really match up, plus some people are skipped. I think the totally obvious writing style of AGE makes it clear that they're not thinking about these things in anywhere near as much detail as you are for this symbolism to past Gundam shows. I don't think it goes beyond anything other than the literal surface level of:

AGE-1 = RX-78
AGE-2 = Zeta
AGE-3 = ZZ
AGE-FX = Nu
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Amion

^Chris is right, but aside from that, I think all of us are finding some form of symbolism because we were, or are expecting it. AGE is basic in its writing to such a degree that we can basically put anything we want into it and not get a direct contradiction from the show.

Really though, if you find symbolism you approve of in it, Zaru, I wouldn't feel bad about it. Put into AGE what you want to, and you'll enjoy it.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Amion wrote: Really though, if you find symbolism you approve of in it, Zaru, I wouldn't feel bad about it. Put into AGE what you want to, and you'll enjoy it.
That last sentence Amion perfectly describes my experience with Age, thank you for this. :) And I couldn't agree more!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
HellCat

I'd say the themes are intentional, mainly because I remember a pre-show interview being cited where the staff said the Gundam would transition from a retro robo to a modern mecha. I think AGE has had several strong links to Gundam history all along, be it characters and MS or straight visual homages (I ended up rewatching the Zeydra debut today to test my HD setup, said episode of course referencing the moment in Zeta where two beam shots pierce one another). The overall character/generation breakdown suggested sounds right to me. I've said before that I felt they intentionally made Flit a spin on Amuro, Asemu a spin on Kamille and Kio seems to combine Uso with the recent AU pilots.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Cybaster

Speaking of 4ch, someone said this:
Is Wootbit even still in the series? I thought he was being slotted in as Kio's co-pilot who brings in the armor-up replacements (a standard Gundam character role in 0079-ZZ) after that one episode... but we've barely seen him since.
I actually want to ask this as well --- in all honesty, he had better, because otherwise that would mean the only purpose Wootbit actually has in AGE is pretty much to ship sink by saying 'hey, Arisa got married to some unnamed guy in AGE and had a boy with him! He's right here, see?'. (Although if that's indeed the case, having Wootbit take on the Gunhale surname is either throwing gasoline on the fire, Level-5 trolling/teasing their fanbase Chris Metzen-style, or both.) They'd indeed be better off showing a shot of Gen 3 Arisa and Dique instead, although with our luck, it'd be amazing if Arisa and said unnamed father even appears in the final ending as a gratuitous 'happy ending' cameo.

Wootbit would be the Aggra of Gundam AGE, except male and, amazingly, even more pointless. ><x
Last edited by Cybaster on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
ShadowCell

Wootbit appears very briefly every so often to remind us that the Gunhale bloodline continues to exist, but yeah, he doesn't really do anything.
Cybaster

ShadowCell wrote:Wootbit appears very briefly every so often to remind us that the Gunhale bloodline continues to exist, but yeah, he doesn't really do anything.
*sigh* Shouldn't be surprised.

That's why I don't have much love for Wootbit, to be honest: It seems to me his sole existence is plainly for Level-5 to alternatively troll and tease its fanbase by having Arisa marry some unnamed person but keeping the Gunhale surname with no explanation whatsoever, and I've already dealt with this exact kind of frustration in the Warcraft fandom before (with Metzen repeatedly trolling the franchise's Thrall/Jaina shippers long and well after he deliberately sank it by introducing Aggra in Cataclysm --- because Jaina's a Human and 'Thrall obviously needs to have brown-skinned pure Orc children', according to Metzen at one point). Hence why I've remained mostly neutral on Asemu/Arisa thus far (although I'd laugh so hard anyway if Wootbit turned out to indeed be their love child :roll: ): I really don't need Level-5 to bring back that kind of trolling again and have to deal with it twice in a row.

I really did want to give Wootbit a chance to be his own individual character rather than a ship sinking device, though --- one wonders why Arisa was so opposed to Wootbit joining the military in the first place, or at least to Wootbit being a Mobile Suit pilot --- but it seems that's unlikely to be. Alas. =.=
Mythgarr

What's the point of the Gunhales anyway? Dique, Arisa, and Wootbit could easily be removed and we'll probably be happier and not become such a suspicious people. Their roles could be easier replaced in each generation by someone generic. Is not like Dique's and Flit's relations ever been explored far, and Arisemu's pairing was doomed to fail from the get go, and Wootbit could be replaced by anyone better designed.

Who did Dique married to produce the bijin Arisa? Who did Arisa married to produce the clone of his father? and Why did Asemu copied Arisa's one-eye-covered-by-hair style. Heck, WHERE IS ARISA? She was one of the promising pilot of Asemu's era and now she was...booted aside. Japanese's married women's curse?

Hell, it'd be better if Dique was shown to be competent mecha designer, Arisa was good at piloting due to exposure to her father's work of designing mecha, and Wootbit was envious of Kio due to him unable to do anything about mecha while his grandpa and mama was such aces but then grew out of his envy and become the third Super Pilot and revealed to be....

I'll stop here.
Visit The Dreams
HellCat

I think the Gunhales fall under AGE's half arsed use of the 3 generations concept. Not everyone needs to appear in every generation and nor do their bloodline but the show could be handling this better, especially when characters like Millais and Arisa just vanish. Asemu's arc was also bad since Desil was wasted and Grodek's use was just rushed.

In terms of Dique though, I think he had the right role in G2. They'd clearly set him up as Vargas apprentice and the show has been consistent that Asemu and Kio don't seem to have become MS design wizards, leaving Flit a family prodigy well into old age. If anything, I just wish they'd stop saying so many designs came from Mardona. The backstory suggests various MS Smith families, yet we only ever hear from them. It'd actually have added something to Lala's cameo a few weeks back- have her be annoyed with Rody that in his absence the Workshop has lost contracts for Federation units.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Overlord Zaru

@Duel: Crap I forgot about F91 and 08th Team, sorry about that. I would include 08th Team and Shiro in with Asem because Asem was also a protagonist that joined the military and became a soldier, much like Shiro and Kou were.

Also I couldn't find anything in ZZ that would possibly relate to AGE, except for maybe Kio's talk with Fram is sort of similar with Judau and Haman. All we're missing is the creepy attraction on Fram's part.

There was nothing in GSD other than good mech designs, a good OST, and the concept of forcing your opinion through force. I'd rather ignore it.
Chris wrote:
Overlord Zaru wrote:Also, here is something wrote for AGE concerning Kio and the UNDERSTANDING stuff.
Nice theory, but I think that you're overthinking things. Not all of your comparisons really match up, plus some people are skipped. I think the totally obvious writing style of AGE makes it clear that they're not thinking about these things in anywhere near as much detail as you are for this symbolism to past Gundam shows. I don't think it goes beyond anything other than the literal surface level of:

AGE-1 = RX-78
AGE-2 = Zeta
AGE-3 = ZZ
AGE-FX = Nu
My friends always say I overthink too much. I guess how you put it it makes a lot of sense in some context(ZZ was screwed over in it's fight against Haman).

The only good Gunhale was Arisa, but alas this is Japan we're talking about, Sunrise specifically, being the sexist industry that they are.

Also, Dique's VA is the same as that one dude from the Vist Foundation in Unicorn.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.