The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

Ezelcant's motives for me nicely address the problem the Vagan homeland arc created- if you suddenly turn around and say Vagan have been the victims all along (an idea which pretty much everyone I know was at least partially accepting after their identity was revealed at Ambat), who is Kio fighting and what of the strife Flit and Asemu went for? Kio even starts this episode saying he could never fight Ezalcant and I think by the end that has been reversed. I'm sure he'll be conflicted but Ezalcant has made it clear now. The Federation holds guilt for the initial cover up but it's Ezalcant that provoked a war as a twisted experiment and clearly it's not something that Kio can support. He's found he's reason to fight and it's stop this mockery of science.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
E08

Raptor wrote:I would agree if they couldn't, but it's quite clear that they could. Flit purged the Federation forces of Vagan influence, and traitors. Even the Diva was not exempt. Not to mention that the Vagan had incorporated so well into society, they surprised everyone when the attack came, so why not blow major bases up? They had the time to gather bombs in a MS. Did they never consider using this tactic more often? We know they aren't trying to preserve the earth, at least. Just seems like flawed logic to me.
I thought the show only show us that they hide their MS well? I dont remember any mention that the Vagans integrated well into earth society. Even if they did, blowing up the bases and MS maybe too much for Ezelcant's plan if it allow Vagan forces to steam roll the earth's defense forces. Remember that Ezelcant isnt exactly after a Vagan victory...
Raptor

I would assume they integrated perfectly, as no one suspected the attack when it came, and they seemed to be able to move freely even before the battle, IE how Shanalua could be so easily recruited, how they were able to hide so many MS with no one noticing, and we can clearly see how well they assimilated themselves in the colonies, why wouldn't they do the same on Earth?

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
reeoyuy

DuelGundam2099 wrote: Cedric Abyss

No idea who the hell Cedric is.
Must be Seric Abis, the Holmes of Battlefield. The summaries looks like the situation when Mwu found Cyclops under JOSH-A and tried to warn everyone. Seric would fit that situation, knowing something before everyone else do, being Holmes and all.
E08

I forgot about that...but my 2nd point still stands
DuelGundam2099

So, anyone have the ratings for Age's recent episodes? I'm curious if it got better, stayed the same, or is making Gundam X look popular.
iCards

ShadowCell wrote:i'm really interested to see what could possibly be a good reason to turn, y'know, evil--like, intentionally cruel and malicious and deliberately inflicting harm on people for no good reason.
There is no good way to say it except that Ezlecant is nuts as far as his intentions go. He has however carefully considered how to achieve his goals.

From what I took from Ezlecant's speech to Kio in the latest episode Flit actually sounds like the perfect example of a human for Ezlecant's new world considering Flit has survived Vegan attacks since he was 7 years old, and lending a hand in stopping the attacks since he was 14.
ShadowCell

now that's something i'd like to see AGE do: take Flit and Ezelcant, put them in a room together, and make them argue it out. you're right, Flit actually does sound like Ezelcant's ideal human, and boy, would that piss him off...
Mythgarr

Seeing that Elzecant considers X-rounders as regressions of humanity, Flit would give Elzecant a mindscrew of a kind. Here is a human who survives Vagan's attacks since he was seven, thwarted his plans twice, and now give him a basis for Legilis. But he is an X-rounder, a regression.
Visit The Dreams
nacho-wan

But here's the thing. Ezelcant wanted Flit to survive. He wanted to make him a better MS smitten to fulfill some weird part of his plan connected to the evolutionary power of the Age device, otherwise why he didn't have Noa blown up cleanly?

I think that this show will have Ezelcant saying that he groomed Flint all along to carry the extermination war required to purify humanity.

I know there aren't any real clues to this, but given the wacky nature of the scripts, it is a possibility.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
LightningCount

DuelGundam2099 wrote:So, anyone have the ratings for Age's recent episodes? I'm curious if it got better, stayed the same, or is making Gundam X look popular.
^THIS. I was just going to ask this same question. Like, how's it even doing in comparison to 00? Do we expect there to be sequels, OVAs, Movies? Plus, is Origin up next, or will there be another few years break of Gundam (aside from Unicorn). It's not that I'm particularly against AGE or anything, but I'm trying to figure out where Gundam's market stands even in its home country. 00 was middling in Japan in terms of reaction as a recall, which tried to cater to a more mature teen/young adult audience, and AGE was seemingly a reaction to cater to a younger audience. I'm curious if the strategy worked, or if Gundam is back to its post-Wing/pre-SEED days, and the UC faithful are all that's clicking with the franchise in a big way.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Chris
Administrator

LightningCount wrote:00 was middling in Japan in terms of reaction as a recall, which tried to cater to a more mature teen/young adult audience, and AGE was seemingly a reaction to cater to a younger audience.
Don't confuse fan bitching with actual performance. It got tons of kits, a bunch of side stories and did well enough to warrant the creation of the first original Gundam theatrical movie in 20 years. 00 is also prominently featured in most Gundam games that have come out since its creation. Hardly what anyone would call middling.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
LightningCount

Chris wrote:
LightningCount wrote:00 was middling in Japan in terms of reaction as a recall, which tried to cater to a more mature teen/young adult audience, and AGE was seemingly a reaction to cater to a younger audience.
Don't confuse fan bitching with actual performance. It got tons of kits, a bunch of side stories and did well enough to warrant the creation of the first original Gundam theatrical movie in 20 years. 00 is also prominently featured in most Gundam games that have come out since its creation. Hardly what anyone would call middling.
That's true. The kits do say a lot. But wasn't it a cost-benefit letdown overall after the phenomenon of SEED's Cosmic Era? It seemed like a lot more effort was poured into 00, particularly early on, than SEED, with the promise of something just as big. The interviews I read early on suggested A.D. might turn into a third ongoing timeline-franchise next to U.C. and C.E., but that was sort of cut short. I wonder if that had any bearing on the creation of AGE, and if will have any bearing on trying to do another future Gundam series along those lines anytime soon (somewhat older pilots, somewhat more direct/dark emphasis on real-world politics and themes, somewhat higher TV animation budget by the look of things, etc). Regardless, how's AGE been doing with general ratings, sales, and buzz? (I remember seeing an article posted here a while back where its manga was getting less and less cover space on the magazine it was in). The TV series is nearing the end of its first run, right?
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Mythgarr

Well, I hope sunrise/bandai would realize that trying to cater to younger generations have yield middling results and return to offering something along the line of MS-08th Team and Gundam X: characters that are positive, mecha battles that are not beam spamming, less emphasis on brooding. Brooding is 90s !!

And oh, OSTs that are actually memorable. I was awash in awakening memory when I heard O8th MS Team and Gundam X OP this week. GOOD STUFFS!

The ones that are close are SEED OPs.

Well, if SEED is extended with the feelings of the first season, I think it would surpass 00 and AGE. UC is getting staler, AD is prematurely killed, AGE is....mediocre.

Just use SD GUndam for the younger one and give us mature Gundam!
Visit The Dreams
Raptor

I don't know what you've been listening to, but the AGE OST is amazing. 00 OST had some really good tracks to it, as well.

FIGHT is still one of my favorites, but I think AGE has it beaten, by a long shot.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
DuelGundam2099

Well, I hope sunrise/bandai would realize that trying to cater to younger generations have yield middling results
You're half right, you can cater to younger generations without middling. The problem with Age is that it tried too hard to achieve that. Let me as you this: Do kids find things made for their age or adults much cooler? When you yourself were a kid and you were to walk into a place that allows you to rent games would you be more intrigued to play a platforming that looked kind of cutesy and innocent or would you go with an M rated game with cover art that looks like it should belong on a heavy metal album cover? Similar scenario here, kids find adult things cool because it is more edgy and they think they can handle it.

Age just so happens to be the cutesy looking platformer in this analogy.
HellCat

LightningCount wrote:
Chris wrote:
That's true. The kits do say a lot. But wasn't it a cost-benefit letdown overall after the phenomenon of SEED's Cosmic Era? It seemed like a lot more effort was poured into 00, particularly early on, than SEED, with the promise of something just as big. The interviews I read early on suggested A.D. might turn into a third ongoing timeline-franchise next to U.C. and C.E., but that was sort of cut short. I wonder if that had any bearing on the creation of AGE, and if will have any bearing on trying to do another future Gundam series along those lines anytime soon (somewhat older pilots, somewhat more direct/dark emphasis on real-world politics and themes, somewhat higher TV animation budget by the look of things, etc). Regardless, how's AGE been doing with general ratings, sales, and buzz? (I remember seeing an article posted here a while back where its manga was getting less and less cover space on the magazine it was in). The TV series is nearing the end of its first run, right?
Given things said I don't get the feeling Sunrise fully supported 00. Mizushima has even claimed Sunrise's president opposed Trailblazer. There seems to be a clash between new and old ideas over at Sunrise and Bandai. Regardless we do know that 00 did well with audiences and this is why AGE merchandise was set such lofty targets. They certainly promoted that 00 kits had outsold Destiny kits quite easily. I don't really think any Gundam show will match SEED in cultural impact though. That seems to have been a case of 'right show, right time' and cultural differences (most of the stuff the Japanese fans seem to love about SEED is the stuff the rest of us are glad not to see in the shows that came after).
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
DuelGundam2099

Well, this episode was quite sappy, at least the action was good. The new opening and ending are the worst so far, I take back what I said about Asemu's themes.
iCards

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Well, I hope sunrise/bandai would realize that trying to cater to younger generations have yield middling results
You're half right, you can cater to younger generations without middling. The problem with Age is that it tried too hard to achieve that. Let me as you this: Do kids find things made for their age or adults much cooler? When you yourself were a kid and you were to walk into a place that allows you to rent games would you be more intrigued to play a platforming that looked kind of cutesy and innocent or would you go with an M rated game with cover art that looks like it should belong on a heavy metal album cover? Similar scenario here, kids find adult things cool because it is more edgy and they think they can handle it.

Age just so happens to be the cutesy looking platformer in this analogy.
Considering popularity of games like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, or even Megaman I wouldn't knock on platformers. I actually stayed in the teen ratings because M rated games all looked like gore shooters to me.

Speaking of what to do with Gundam next it may be beast to take a Macross approach.
Overlord Zaru

New OP was okay.

New ED is a huge disappointment when compared to faylan's WHITE justice.

Combat is nice, and Kio's Not-Kill method is akin to...I guess Kira's beamspam, but with taste and it involves actual skill rather than a computer to do all the work.

Next week I'll be looking forward too immensely. Those who have seen it will know why.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.