Tackling the Gundam 00 side stories

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Koshernova

Tackling the Gundam 00 side stories

Alright, so after AGE is over, I want to re-watch 00, which I have only seen all the way through once, when it was airing.

This time though, I want a fuller experience, and I'm really intrigued by the side stories, 00V, 00I and 00P (first question: are there any more than those three?).

So I have a couple of questions. First, are the side stories of a decent quality? YMMV of course, but I was wondering if they live up to the quality of the show.

Second, is there a preferred order to experience them in? 00P is the prequel, so it makes sense to start there, no?

So yeah, general views/thoughts on the 00 side stories I guess.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
HellCat

Re: Tackling the Gundam 00 side stories

Most every 00 fan I know loathes the sidestories. The primary reason for this is weirdness (CB made catgirls? Really?) and more importantly that the stories often feel less like they're ocurring in the shadows and trying to instead outshine the main work. Fon is the poster boy for this, often seen performing with laughable ease things the TV Meisters would stand no chance at and even giving Ali the heebie jeebies. Probably doesn't help that the focus of the second half of 00P and 00I is ANOTHER Ribbons type Innovade who was apparently running his own scheme at the exact same time and from whom Ribbons pinched the concept for Reborns from.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Arbiter GUNDAM

The sidestories do explain what happened to Feldt's parents, if you ever wanted to know that.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
E08

Other than 00P, 00V, 00I, there are also 00N, 00F and 00V Senki. There are also some information from G-Rooms.

I wouldnt say the 2nd half of 00P is that bad. I cannot comment on 00I since i was too lazy to have a look at it. From what I heard, it seems you can leave 00I out and it would not affect anything. The 1st half of 00P has more character interaction than MS action while the 2nd half is a bit more balance i think. Ribbons did not pinch the concept of Reborns from anyone. 1 Gundam and GN Cannon are created by Veda for Innovade use anyway. As for the catgirl thing, i cant help but think sheryl is the one behind it...

The order i would suggest is 00P>00F>00I>00V>00V Senki>00N. 00N gives more background about the 00 world.
Koshernova

Thanks everyone!

E08: Where in that would you suggest fitting in the TV show? The movie clearly goes at the very end, of course.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
E08

I forget to mention 00I 2314. The show overlaps 00F and 00I. 00S1 can put around the first 2/3? of 00F while S2 should be together with 00I i think. Actually the one that should put the last is the last chapter of 00N.
HellCat

E08 wrote:Ribbons did not pinch the concept of Reborns from anyone. 1 Gundam and GN Cannon are created by Veda for Innovade use anyway.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the extra chapter for the Type Dark 1 Gundam kit suggests it was analysing the captured modified 1 Gundam which gave Ribbons the idea to use the same base to make Reborns and that he likewise considered making a batch of said 1 Gundams but prioritised completing Reborns and the Gagas.

Either way, I'm not a fan of the overall 'Ribbons took two unused CB designs and glued em together' when the in-show presentation of Reborns being this completely unique Gundam just fits him better.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
E08

As far as i remember, the first part, no, and the second part, yes.
Destiny_Gundam

00F is the only one completely available in english anyways.

I just wish some of them covered what happened to everyone after the events of the movie...
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
E08

The 00P chapters on Gundam Wiki are rather accurate. If anyone is interested, they should go and have a look there.
SonicSP

I'm mostly into it for the background info which was for the most part very interesting elaborated despite some strange portrayals/out of place-ness from time to time.

00F was okay, Fon can get annoying but I thought some parts were interesting. At least it's not 00I which had a good start but really went weird.

00V was really nice and it's profile like structure was fun decent amount of interesting info. Its just slightly annoying to see some Gundam variants who was not used for reasons X-Y-Z. Although some did get used later.

00V Senki was pretty fun too, did give out some interesting info from time to time. Some of which were quite important like what actually causes Innovation. Also liked how it gave us a better idea on 00's particle capacity-Trans-Am ratio and some confirmation on GN-X upgraded relations.

00N. Best 00 sidestory of em all, Nuff said.

00N seems to be the best 00 sidestory for me by far. Loved all the elaborated info. Not into 00P's story that much but I thought some of the mechs profiles are super neat. E08's translation on 00N and 00P were super to read.

Adaptation Novels- Pretty interesting elaborated info as well from time to time and the an interesting narrative to read to expand some extra infos during some of the anime scenes (some of the monologues was nice to read too). Shame that we only saw S1 novels being adapted into English but it was a business decision I guess. Don't care too much for the adaptation mangas since they don't synch with the anime. 

00I- It had a good start during the first two or three chapters but really got very weird as it went on. Don't care too much into it especially after "he" returns.

00I 2314- probably better than 00I but dot know too much about it to have an opinion. It is sorta nice to have Cherudim and Arios being used for something post S2, and in their variant equipments too.