The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk IV

I wouldn't be surprised if Banagher is still fairly pacifistic in this episode...but then again I am not exactly sure why people assumed that Banagher won't kill anyone ever again.

I mean in episode 4 he quiet literally fought against ONE person, and that was Loni...a character he was supposed to have a "special connection" with. I mean, unlike in the previous episodes, Banagher never fought against grunt suits in episode 4...so when people compare him to Kira in the "not killing people department" I have to wonder if that is true.

I mean, from when Banagher kicked the crap out of ZImmerman, I got the impression he wouldn't be ABOVE killing people who he didn't know...then again, we will see.

However, if Banagher doesn't kill anyone this episode, that might be because 1) he really has adopted a Kira like philosophy or 2) He only fights the Banshee and "Miss Marida." Someone who he definitely doesn't want to kill.

I guess we will see how Banagher deals with grunt suits this episode, but right now, Banagher fighting against one person doesn't mean he won't kill people.

Look at when he was told he killed someone for the first time, what does he do next episode? Shreds SEVERAL Neo Zeon mobile suits when they get in his way.

I guess time will tell, but if he doesn't kill people this episode, I am going to be looking at the context and see if there was an REASON why he should kill someone. If you think about it, what did the Unicorn (and I am just talking about the mobile suit here) DO last episode. Is just kind of dodged, shot some rounds into the ground, and stood there being all newtypey.

And judging from the PV, it looks like the Unicorn just punches the Banshee the entire time.

But who knows? Grunt kills might be in his future.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

Given how evidently intent Banagher was on killing Full Frontal when they duked it out in Episode 3(he failed, but that's not the point), I don't see where people are comparing to Sir Cheesebot McSpamalot on the basis of ONE encounter with ONE character who, improbable as it was given their limited-to-nonexistent interaction in the episode*, he didn't want to kill for some unfathomable reason.

(*Having never read the novels, I'm going off the anime here)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
daigundam lagaan

huh, could it be that Bandai finally is learning the lesson of not rushing things so badly? Considering how fast time is going for me, 7 episodes doesn't sound like a bad idea. THey might make it into a full movie though (that's only a guess made by me).
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
J-Lead

I think the Kira comparisons come from Banagher making a point in episode 3 to hold back while fighting the Garencieres team, much to Daguza's frustration. The comparison to beamspam-kun falls pretty flat in light of the circumstances, however; Unlike Kira, who uses the Freedom's/Strike Freedom's "I win" button to disable everything within a plot-determined radius, Unicorn Gundam has no such function, and Banagher is usually reduced to trying his best to keep the Unicorn Gundam's overwhelming power in check to avoid killing everything and everything else. His circumstances are made a bit more interesting due to the fact that NT-D, which before episode 4 activated whenever it damn well felt like it, psychologically invades his will and causes him to want to kill babies.

On that note, episode 4 was a big turning point, as it showed he now can control the NT-D on his own terms and force it to submit to him, rather than the other way around.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
mobiusdiablo

Oh J-Lead, that is an awesome point, made hilarious by how you put it. And all things considered, Unicorn is not even really... spammy. What, a beam magnum, beam sabers, and other standard armaments for a Gundam. Sounds... Wing Zero-ish to me more like, but only applied to Newtypes. Then again, we shall see how this holds once we get Full Arm(ed)or Unicorn out on the battlefield.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
balofo

I posted this on /m/ regarding OVA 5 ending, novel book 8 beginning and OVA 6 starting scene speculation. HUGE SPOILERS!!! Might be interesting for those who don't mind novel spoilers and want to know the differences
Spoiler
Yeah, but instead of Sinanju and Rozen Zulu attacking and destroying 2 Clop Class ships(Carrote and Tenenbaum) to encounter the Garancieres before Londo Bell. Only to have the Garancieres explode on Angelo's face while Frontal manhandles the Tristars alone, managing to cut an arm off Nigel's unit(Watts was already piloting the Jesta Cannon in this battles). After this they retreat to the Rewola while the Tristar spend a day to meet the General Revil just as Riddhe appears piloting the Banshee along Alberto. They even fight(Nigel and Riddhe) because Nigel thinks Riddhe abandoned the intact Delta Plus for monster machine like the Banshee doubting Riddhe as true pilot because of his lust for power.

Now in the anime as soon as the Unicorn manages to drag the Garancieres out of the gravity well it runs out of power and the Nahel Argama and the Garancieres are attacked by the General Revil and its swarm of MS then Angelo and Frontal appear and start raping the General Revil's MS squadron.

I wonder if now in the anime Frontal wants the Nahel Argama to escape and thus show him the next or final LA+ location(don't know if the L1 junction arc will be played in the anime) or he'll invade the Nahel Argama as per novel under different circumstances.

The point of deviance between the novel and the anime was OVA 4, even Martha who stayed on Earth to run the political side plot with Bright and Riddhe's father in the novel now goes to space with Alberto.
J-Lead

Spoiler
Marida knocking a blind rage-filled Riddhe unconscious with that stern, angry glare
MY SIDES

I know that's not what actually happened, but the way the scene was arranged was lulzworthy.
flamingtroll

balofo wrote:I posted this on /m/ regarding OVA 5 ending, novel book 8 beginning and OVA 6 starting scene speculation. HUGE SPOILERS!!! Might be interesting for those who don't mind novel spoilers and want to know the differences
Just saw it. Hated it. I thought they couldn't have made it worse than the novel, but it did. It's only better in comparison because it was shorter.
Spoiler
I never thought I would say this, but the "no-kill" thing is getting annoying. It's not because Banagher doesn't want to kill people, but how easily he could get away with it just dodging and flying around preaching. In the novel, they had a one-on-one. There were only like 2 Ankushas IIRC and one of them is busying being Banshee's SFS. The OAV Ankusha's were garbage. It' did next to nothing other than getting blown up or blowing itself up. At least in the novel the one that was shot down was by the nonchalant Banshee. I LOLed when one got pushed away by the psycho-field and blew up just becuase it bumped into the side of the Garuda.

Riddhe was unbearable in the novel in this chapter, and he wasn't much better in the OVA. Shooting at Banshee with a pistol? Really? The equally drastic EMO change. It only seemed to be less annoying becuase it didn't have the air-time to get dragged out like in the novel.

Tri-star flew around AGAIN doing nothing.

Rozen Zulu's raping was rediculous. It's not like Byarlant MUSOU where it actually showed skill and sensiblilty, but just SEED style flash-beam = everything blows. It's unbelivably lazy in choreography for an OVA. They actually wanted to have us think that the flagship of the reorganized Fed Fleet, an enhanced Dogosse Gier class no less, could be raped by TWO Neo Zeon MS. In the novel, Sinaju and Rozen Zulu at least AMBUSHED the 2 clops, which didn't even react fast enough to defend themselves.

Overall, this pretty much confirms my suspection that this OVA cannot end well. I cannot see it being changed for the better.[

EDIT:
I guess it's not entirely fair to not include at least some praise for the scene with Bright Noah, and the, "Pulling the ships together" scene. But like everything in Unicorn in general, it's just bits and pieces of good scenes that isn't necessary chained together well.
Admiral Larsen

flamingtroll wrote:
balofo wrote:I posted this on /m/ regarding OVA 5 ending, novel book 8 beginning and OVA 6 starting scene speculation. HUGE SPOILERS!!! Might be interesting for those who don't mind novel spoilers and want to know the differences
Just saw it. Hated it. I thought they couldn't have made it worse than the novel, but it did. It's only better in comparison because it was shorter.
Spoiler
I never thought I would say this, but the "no-kill" thing is getting annoying. It's not because Banagher doesn't want to kill people, but how easily he could get away with it just dodging and flying around preaching. In the novel, they had a one-on-one. There were only like 2 Ankushas IIRC and one of them is busying being Banshee's SFS. The OAV Ankusha's were garbage. It' did next to nothing other than getting blown up or blowing itself up. At least in the novel the one that was shot down was by the nonchalant Banshee. I LOLed when one got pushed away by the psycho-field and blew up just becuase it bumped into the side of the Garuda.

Riddhe was unbearable in the novel in this chapter, and he wasn't much better in the OVA. Shooting at Banshee with a pistol? Really? The equally drastic EMO change. It only seemed to be less annoying becuase it didn't have the air-time to get dragged out like in the novel.

Tri-star flew around AGAIN doing nothing.

Rozen Zulu's raping was rediculous. It's not like Byarlant MUSOU where it actually showed skill and sensiblilty, but just SEED style flash-beam = everything blows. It's unbelivably lazy in choreography for an OVA. They actually wanted to have us think that the flagship of the reorganized Fed Fleet, an enhanced Dogosse Gier class no less, could be raped by TWO Neo Zeon MS. In the novel, Sinaju and Rozen Zulu at least AMBUSHED the 2 clops, which didn't even react fast enough to defend themselves.

Overall, this pretty much confirms my suspection that this OVA cannot end well. I cannot see it being changed for the better.

Hmm, I see. Much to think about and after looking back at the General Revil, I might have to look at it when I get the chance.

After thinking about it, perhaps they should have made the announcement of extendeding the episode count earlier on. That is the first thing that I can think of off the top of my list. The next thing is what happened with episode 4 and of course there is Banagher's actions of which it gets worse here then.

Like I said, you've given me much to think about.
J-Lead

flamingtroll wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
They didn't rape the General Revil, just it's MS complement (or at least whatever it managed to launch in that time frame. I'm led to believe Dogosse Gier-Class warships can carry around 48 MS,) Besides, those pilots were targeting the Nahel Argama and the Garencieres, weren't exactly prepare to encounter a Newtype-use rape machine.
Spoiler
On that note, Banagher actually had a good reason to act in a non-lethal sense this time around; 1. his primary goals was was to save Audrey and stop Marida, the latter of which he did not want to kill, and 2. its not like he had any weapons to to begin with.
Also, EP5 is up on the American PSN now.
Andrew_Graruru

Good enough episode and all, but damn, that is another unbearable cliffhanger.

The highpoint of this episode is Zimmerman being a guerilla badass. Also, I found Bright's attitude in this episode hilarious:
Spoiler
Oh, you're a young, idealistic Gundam pilot? Okay, well you'll probably sort this conflict out, let me help send you on your way.
He's been through this before, he knows the drill.

I sorta wish they didn't hype up Kai's appearance so much, it's really a very small part of the episode.

Also, did anyone else feel there was a drop in quality in the actions scenes? There were some great points like
Spoiler
Geara Zulu with the giant canon, or the Sinanju appearing
but the fight between the Banshee and the Unicorn let me down.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
Deacon Blues

I see the subtitles spelled the name of the ship wrong... they have Giar as opposed to Gier. That is unless Sunrise changed it YET AGAIN. I enjoyed this episode more than the last, but I do have to echo some of the distaste towards the treatment of this series. I'm not sure if Fukui is to blame or what.

Here's an example. Mind you, Fukui's prose isn't easy to translate (or maybe I just suck at it?) but this is one of the "major" differences in the scenes that took place:
Spoiler
"Mineva!" he cried out.

"I am a woman of the Zabi family." she continued, looking up at his face, "I cannot throw away my name. As a descendant of a family who committed horrible atrocities in the past, it is my obligation to do so."

"Enough. You'll be killed."

*useless info*

Drawing in a breath, Mineva elbows Riddhe in the stomach with all her might.

"Mineva--!!" Riddhe groaned as Mineva wretched the gun from his hand. The moment she turned around and aimed it at Martha, a burst of gunfire ripped through the air, overwhelming her senses.

I've been shot, she thought. For the moment she was unsure of what to do with herself so she shut her eyelids tight and was struck from behind and fell face down. Right after there was a roar of a dull explosion.

"Intruder!" someone shouted out as they passed by overhead. The gunshots sounds were sporadic, the rapid-fire sound of the machine guns like a clanging of a drum forcibly opened her eyes that reflected the yellowish fumes from the explosion. On the other side of the smokescreen that billowed up in the wind, Martha , surrounded by her bodyguards, ran away. There's a flash of gunfire as someone fires a shot as a cry of "Princess" melds with the sounds.

The familiar voice piqued her senses, "Zinnerman?!" she blurted out instinctively as she stood up with gun in hand. Slipping out from beneath Riddhe who had covered her from behind, she searched for the source of the voice within the rapidly weakening smoke.
toysdream

Deacon Blues wrote:I see the subtitles spelled the name of the ship wrong... they have Giar as opposed to Gier. That is unless Sunrise changed it YET AGAIN.
Yes, they did.

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

toysdream wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:I see the subtitles spelled the name of the ship wrong... they have Giar as opposed to Gier. That is unless Sunrise changed it YET AGAIN.
Yes, they did.

-- Mark
So, uh... how many headaches have they given you? :D
toysdream

Deacon Blues wrote:So, uh... how many headaches have they given you? :D
They're generally pretty reasonable. Aside from a couple of things they just won't budge on, most of the glitches are just cases of "oh well, it's too late to change it." :-)

-- Mark
flamingtroll

J-Lead wrote:
Spoiler
They didn't rape the General Revil, just it's MS complement (or at least whatever it managed to launch in that time frame. I'm led to believe Dogosse Gier-Class warships can carry around 48 MS,) Besides, those pilots were targeting the Nahel Argama and the Garencieres, weren't exactly prepare to encounter a Newtype-use rape machine.
Spoiler
Considering how easily Angelo destroyed like 10 or more MS in less than a minute when Full Frontal didn't even move a finger. I doubt 30 something more MS that werent event launched yet could have done anything to protect General Revil if they decided to attack it. This is basically setting up the eventual godlike ownage by FA unicorn, which destroyed the entire freaking Neo Zeon by itself and the half-broken Kshatriya
Spoiler
On that note, Banagher actually had a good reason to act in a non-lethal sense this time around; 1. his primary goals was was to save Audrey and stop Marida, the latter of which he did not want to kill, and 2. its not like he had any weapons to to begin with.
I wasn't doubting is motivation, but how easily he is getting away for it this time.
Spoiler
He was fighting Marida, who was in full "GUNDAM IS THE ENEMY" mode, in a Banshee with NTD activated at some point. Yet he pretty much just dodged around her attack almost without a sweat. The Armed Armor BS certainly was overrated as it performed like any standard rifle. It didn't really give the impression that Banshee was a formidable equal to the Unicorn. Again, pretty much affirming the now untouchable status of Unicorn and Banagher.
balofo

That feel when you were expecting to get the amazing book 8 beginning battle, but you won't :(
Andrew_Graruru

flamingtroll wrote:
J-Lead wrote:
Spoiler
He was fighting Marida, who was in full "GUNDAM IS THE ENEMY" mode, in a Banshee with NTD activated at some point. Yet he pretty much just dodged around her attack almost without a sweat. The Armed Armor BS certainly was overrated as it performed like any standard rifle. It didn't really give the impression that Banshee was a formidable equal to the Unicorn. Again, pretty much affirming the now untouchable status of Unicorn and Banagher.
Yeah, I agree. The claw in particular was just terribly done; it looked so cheap when it vibrated.

But one thing I did like about this episode in regards to Banagher was that they gave him something to do in the conflict in various non-confrontational roles. Stuff like saving Mineva, or pulling the garencieres out of the gravity well. It makes Banagher a lot more tolerable, as he's actually having a positive effect on the outcome of the battle, rather than just preaching. If they want Banagher to be a pacifist, this is the way to do it.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
HellCat

I'll admit I'm running on 3 hours sleep and a busy day at work but in general I liked it. It wasn't perfect (there were parts where the animation seemed to cheap out and the battles were all fairly vague) but it came off as being an upper to balance the lows of the previous volumes and the fact we've now got a year long wait.

Of course, I wonder how I'll feel after a night's sleep.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Deacon Blues

If there's one thing that bothered me it was whenever the Banshee fired that armored weapon. Seriously, those ribbon-like streams arching and curving towards the mobile suit? Wtf? I guess the BS in that stands for bullshite :D