The Official Mazinger Z 40th Anniversary Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

The Official Mazinger Z 40th Anniversary Thread

Mazinger Z. The most iconic and legendary creation of anime/manga ultra-master Go Nagai. One of the most, if not the most, influential giant robot in mecha anime history only after Tetsujin 28 and Giant Robo. 60+ feet of raw and uncut machinery, inspiring countless around the globe. The most used anime franchise in crossovers second only to Mobile Suit Gundam. And now is the time of 2012 Anno Domini, the 40th anniversary of the mighty machine that rocked the foundations of robot pop culture. This thread is not just the MAHQ Mazinger thread, but also the thread to note and celebrate Mazinger Z's year. Anyone that calls themselves a mech anime owes it to the Mazinger franchise as most mecha anime may not be around today if not for it. To kick off the topic all seven classic Mazinger movies, including the ultra rare Battle of The Flying Saucers, are making their way to Blu-Ray:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... e-in-japan

Begin discussion. 8)
2NA Fish

Re: The Official Mazinger Z 40th Anniversary Thread

Nice.

I managed to watch a number of the original TV series episodes a long time back. They're definitely not designed to be watched back to back, but if you do one per week for a bit of fun, they're great. Sure, there was some really awkward editing sometimes and parts which seemed to be staff just going through the motions, but there were moments of awesomeness sprinkled throughout. The whole mindset of the Japanese people was so different then, and there was some unique and memorable dialogue in almost every episode.

Also, in this day and age, I don't think we'll ever see another series where the main character takes 5 episodes just learning to make his mecha walk properly.

This is from Great, but I don't think I'll ever forget the following scene with Tetsuya in the Great Mazinger vs Getter Robo movie.

Tetsuya walks in to the control room, says "When do I sortie next? I don't wanna get beaten by those Getter guys." Almost before he finishes the line, the Professor turns and just slaps him hard across the face, replying "Fighting evil is not a game or competition. Get that into your head." And Tetsuya doesn't even flinch. Just answers "Yes! Professor!"

MANLY.
DuelGundam2099

LIVE ACTION MOVIE CONFIRMED FOR PRE-PORDUCTION!

http://www.jefusion.com/2012/05/mazinge ... works.html

Please have an actiony director at the helm!
JulieYBM

I haven't read the comic or watched any of the animation, but I've become very close to the franchise through Mizuki Ichirou's performances of the theme songs. His role both as a anison artist and the performer of these iconic songs has really left a mark on my playlists. Hopefully one day I'll get around to watching the original series.
She/Her
nacho-wan

Yes, Mizuki Ichirou has a powerful voice. Did you know that once he sang for 24 straights most of anime theme songs? He has made some of the most iconic themes: Mazinger, Great Mazinger, Getter. Not only that but he founded JAM Project, so that they could carry on with his legacy of awesome music
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
JulieYBM

Yeah, I had heard about that concert of his. One thousand theme songs in twenty-four hours is pretty incredible.

JAM Project, of course, is one of my dearest favorites. The original line-up that he was a part of was incredible. The mix of older talant and younger talent gave it a unique sound. I think JAM Project has done some Mazinger Z theme songs too, which is cool.
She/Her
nacho-wan

So can somebody list the seven movies? Does it actually includes Kaiser rs General Darkness and the vrs Getter too?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
DuelGundam2099

The Seven Movies:

-Mazinger Z vs. Devilman
-Mazinger Z vs. The Great General of Darkness
-Great Mazinger vs. Getter Robo
-Great Mazinger vs. Getter Robo G: Battle of The Sky
-Grendizer vs. Great Mazinger
-Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Great Mazinger: Monster of The Ocean Floor (best of the bunch!)
-Mazinkaiser vs. The Great General of Darkness

also Grendizer's pilot movie Battle of The Flying Saucers, although it is so stand alone you cannot call it a movie despite it getting a Blu Ray release with the first six. Scaling issues are also never explained.
nacho-wan

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Scaling issues are also never explained.
Scaling issues are a given in most 70s animé, let alone Go Nagai's projects.

I remember fondly Mazinger vrs Devilman. I actually saw it as an animé feature in a movie theater. Me and my brother were blown away. And then when we got out we found out that all that awesomess toke 30 minutes!
-Henry I. Miller
angelwingzero

We need an up-to-date Mazinger/Mazinkaiser vs Getter/Shin Getter movie.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
nacho-wan

Holy cr**. Just don't have Imagawa direct it! Seriously what kind of peril would be powerful enought to warrant both monsters on the field?
-Henry I. Miller
2NA Fish

What's wrong with Imagawa? I quite like his work, even though his sense of style(or lack of it) is ridiculous level.
nacho-wan

My only issue of Imagawa is his custom of building unsurmountable crisis IN THE LAST CHAPTER without any chance of it bein resolved.
-Henry I. Miller
DuelGundam2099

THIS WARRANTS BUMPING! THIS WARRANTS ME SPAMMING CAP LOCKS! THIS WARRANTS YOU PEOPLE THINKING I AM CRAZY! THIS WARRANTS EVERY MECHA FAN'S ATTENTION! THIS WARRANTS JUMPING UP AND DOWN LIKE A KANGAROO!

MAZINGER Z IS GETTING A PROPER US RELEASE! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Discotek- ... 8055312297
Raptor

Niiiice. Kouji Kabuto is to this day still one of my favorite mecha characters. And Mazinger Z was amazing, so I'll have to pick that up.

To this day still wind up randomly making the Breast Fire pose.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Mythgarr

Live Action Movie!
Whoaah! Please make it cool! Please!
Visit The Dreams