Possible Shenmue return

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
wyrdhunter

Possible Shenmue return

I know at least some people will be interested.
In an Jet Set Radio GRTV Interview, Sega Brand Manager Ben Harborne was asked about fan feedback fuelling further Dreamcast re-releases onto Xbox Live Arcade.

"I can tell you what'll be: Shenmue," he answered immediately to what fans would be asking for. "That, and Skies of Arcadia."

"They're a couple of our most requested games. I can't say 'yes' or 'no', but we may be working on them."
Courtesy of Gamereactor.eu
Wyrdhunter is...Alex Hunter.
(It's pronounced weeerd-hunter.)

Now collecting for the President's Day GN Particle Cancer Telethon.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Possible Shenmue return

I wouldn't get too excited. There have been so many false starts and promises from Sega over the years that I wouldn't believe it until I see in on PSN for download.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
RGM-79 GM

If true then that would be awesome, although I have to agree with Chris. Making new Shenmues and putting up Rfta would be nice also but I know that neither of those will ever happen.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
Kuruni

I know...

"By the release of Duke Nukem Forever, fanboys are given hope".

Both Shenmue and SEED The Movie fans. Heck, may be even those who still wait for Starcraft: Ghost or Warcraft Adventure again.
My girlfriend was a loli.
The Fowl Sorcerous

all shenmue fans; please go play the yakuza games. everything you like about shenmue is there. but better. much better.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:all shenmue fans; please go play the yakuza games. everything you like about shenmue is there. but better. much better.
You better watch where you say that - certainly not on any Shenmue forum. There's a sizable number of fans who absolutely hate Yazuka because it's a successful series that keeps getting sequels while Shenmue doesn't. Irrational, I know, but that's game fans for you.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
The Fowl Sorcerous

it's funny good games that stay on budget can keep getting sequels like that...
[[lorem ipsum]]
Kuruni

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:it's funny good games that stay on budget can keep getting sequels like that...
No. What's funnier is how bad game that run out of budget somehow getting sequel. *cough*Duke Nukem Forever*cough* (no offense to you guys, but when I heard its sale skyrocket, I though that maybe USA really deserve the economic crisis)
Lian

This might be good news... But I'm not gonna count Shenmue returning in atleast 10 years.

"I can't say 'yes' or 'no', but we may be working on them."

Don't you just hate that? Such a tease...

So yeah, I'm gonna keep my pants on for now.
now@: Uunisepät | Uunisepät | Kauniit tulisijat
hotlimit

Kuruni wrote:
The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:it's funny good games that stay on budget can keep getting sequels like that...
No. What's funnier is how bad game that run out of budget somehow getting sequel. *cough*Duke Nukem Forever*cough* (no offense to you guys, but when I heard its sale skyrocket, I though that maybe USA really deserve the economic crisis)
The original Duke Nukem 3D was great, and didn't have any budget problems. Duke Nukem Forever was pretty dumb, focused on all the wrong things, didn't have skyrocketing sales, and isn't getting a sequel. Sooo, uhh... what are you talking about?
Kuruni

It sell well, too well for its quality.

And for qequel, it's almost year-old news already.

Sooo, yeah...I'm talking about a crap, popular crap, crap that has undeserving high popularity.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Guys it will never happen, SEGA is going to be dead in a few years. They have lost so much money and they still have no "hit" games(Binary Domain was a huge flop)

pretty sad, I remember playing Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventures, Panzer Dragoon and many more

I even had a freaking SATURN instead of a Playstation!!! sad
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
2NA Fish

Sega's doing fine in Japan. They won't go down. They'll at worst end up like all those other smalltime Japanese developers who don't ever release stuff overseas.(And they're halfway there already)
steeltamashii

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:Guys it will never happen, SEGA is going to be dead in a few years. They have lost so much money and they still have no "hit" games(Binary Domain was a huge flop)

pretty sad, I remember playing Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventures, Panzer Dragoon and many more

I even had a freaking SATURN instead of a Playstation!!! sad
I still have my Saturn actually, along with all their other consoles...

However as for the future of SEGA, i think they're gonna be alright for the moment. Arcades are still big in Japan and SEGA's legacy is in arcade games. The sad thing is I see SEGA leaving the American and European markets first before they ever would go out of business. Being honest though, SEGA is unfortunately a shadow of their former selves. The SEGA we remember from the '90s and early '00s is much different today.
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
The Fowl Sorcerous

i'll agree that they have a future...in japan. the fact is sega is gutting its foreign offices, and delaying western releases of games, and considering how they've ignored their western fanbase's wants/needs lately I can't see them publishing their own stuff outside japan for much longer.
[[lorem ipsum]]
steeltamashii

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:i'll agree that they have a future...in japan. the fact is sega is gutting its foreign offices, and delaying western releases of games, and considering how they've ignored their western fanbase's wants/needs lately I can't see them publishing their own stuff outside japan for much longer.
To be honest, this isn't really new anyway. SEGA's always had for some reason or another to delay or completely disregard any western releases on some of their games (particularly during the Saturn and Dreamcast eras). The only difference now is that it's happening more often then in the past. Besides, SEGA's true legacy is in it's arcade games anyway, and that just doesn't translate to the modern western video game demographic. Arcades are much bigger in Japan, so the fact that SEGA is bigger in Japan then the US isn't very surprising. We should just be happy that importing games nowadays is easier than it's been in the past, and some games even have english language options (Anarchy Reigns for example).

As for SEGA in general however, I'll just continue to enjoy the games that we did get (from the past and present) and appreciate their part in gaming history and effects thereof, both worldwide and in my personal experience.
steeltamashii

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:all shenmue fans; please go play the yakuza games. everything you like about shenmue is there. but better. much better.
I keep hearing that from almost everyone i talk to. I think might go grab Yakuza 4 from GameStop, it's only like $20 now.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I think SEGA will go the same way Hudson( I remember when they MADE the Turbo Grafx 16, hell yeah HUCards!!!) and SNK. A lot of the SEGA games do not sell, everything besides Sonic does bad. I played Binary Domain and I liked it but that game did not sell anything

I hope is Sega dies they do not take Creative Assembly down with them(people that make the Total War games!!!)
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
2NA Fish

steeltamashii wrote:
I keep hearing that from almost everyone i talk to. I think might go grab Yakuza 4 from GameStop, it's only like $20 now.
Yes! Go grab Yakuza 4!

And make sure to find the massage parlour and go for the Super Ultimate Deluxe Sexy Massage.
Kuruni

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:...everything besides Sonic does bad.
I disagree with this part, Sonic never does good since it roll into 3D space. :mrgreen: