UC 0079 Print Chronology Project, part 2

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

Re: UC 0079 Print Chronology Project, part 2

I could be wrong, but I was lead to believe that Magical Ensign Blaster Mari was fiction-in-fiction - pro-Zeon propaganda aimed at indoctrinating children, like the Captain Zeon character mentioned in MS ERA.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
animalia

What about Ixtab and the first story of MS Generation?
Deacon Blues

Check your old thread, it was mentioned already.
Chris
Administrator

Deacon Blues wrote:Check your old thread, it was mentioned already.
There is no more old thread. Everything has been merged into this one.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
animalia

I got that both Ixtab and MS Generation Start on the same day, is it known which one starts earlier in the day, or barring that which story ends later in the year?
Deacon Blues

Does it really matter? Seriously? These are sidestory works with no real impact on any of the mainstream stories. Most of them don't even have dates mentioned in them.

Ixtab is strictly Operation British. MS Generation has different stories from throughout the OYW.
Cardi Doorl

It's extremely rare for any Gundam story or production to mention anything more specific than a date. Almost none of them get as particular as time of day. Most of the time, especially when it comes to obscure side stories like these, you're not getting anything more than "sometime in [month]" or "during [event]" because that's all the information the story gives.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
toysdream

Okay, folks, you can ease up on the sneering. There are actually answers to these questions.

In particular, "The Gundam Chronicles Ver.2" features a huge One Year War timeline, compiled by Aiyuki Okazaki of "Data Gundam" fame, and unlike Okazaki's Data Gundam articles it actually provides source information for each listing. Some kind soul has even transcribed the whole thing on the All Of Gundam site; those of you with Japanese reading skills can peruse it here.

According to Okazaki, the first chapter of MS Generation takes place in August of U.C. 0079. Ixtab isn't listed in the web site transcription, but Okazaki's original list places it at January 3, U.C. 0079. (The original comic is even more specific, saying that it begins at 7:00 AM on January 3.)

As for MS Senki, I seem to have misplaced my copy (waah!) but I recall it started in U.C. 0078. Some of the Japanese fan sites specify February of U.C. 0078, which I guess sounds plausible.

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

toysdream wrote:In particular, "The Gundam Chronicles Ver.2" features a huge One Year War timeline, compiled by Aiyuki Okazaki of "Data Gundam" fame, and unlike Okazaki's Data Gundam articles it actually provides source information for each listing. Some kind soul has even transcribed the whole thing on the All Of Gundam site; those of you with Japanese reading skills can peruse it here.
Hm... is that the one with the creepy human-like art covers? I still have yet to get the second one @_@
According to Okazaki, the first chapter of MS Generation takes place in August of U.C. 0079. Ixtab isn't listed in the web site transcription, but Okazaki's original list places it at January 3, U.C. 0079. (The original comic is even more specific, saying that it begins at 7:00 AM on January 3.)
I told him that the prologue takes place right when Gihren is giving his speech on the 3rd. *ponders searching for the exact time of this* With M'Quve flicking his damn vase at Thomas :lol:
As for MS Senki, I seem to have misplaced my copy (waah!) but I recall it started in U.C. 0078. Some of the Japanese fan sites specify February of U.C. 0078, which I guess sounds plausible.
MS Senki never gave a definitive date for Frederik Brown starting MS training. But, it's evident that it is some time in 0078 as he participates in Operation British and has nightmares afterwards. Then again, the description of the Principality of Zeon says they carried out their war of independence starting on November 7th, 0078 0_お;
TakaTahuNuva

Deacon Blues wrote:
toysdream wrote:In particular, "The Gundam Chronicles Ver.2" features a huge One Year War timeline, compiled by Aiyuki Okazaki of "Data Gundam" fame, and unlike Okazaki's Data Gundam articles it actually provides source information for each listing. Some kind soul has even transcribed the whole thing on the All Of Gundam site; those of you with Japanese reading skills can peruse it here.
Hm... is that the one with the creepy human-like art covers? I still have yet to get the second one @_@
Nope, that's Another Century's Chronicles, pretty sure Mark's referring to this.
ohhhh snap
toysdream

Deacon Blues wrote:Hm... is that the one with the creepy human-like art covers?
Nope.
I told him that the prologue takes place right when Gihren is giving his speech on the 3rd. *ponders searching for the exact time of this* With M'Quve flicking his damn vase at Thomas :lol:
I don't think I have a copy of this, so I'll take your word for it.

-- Mark
animalia

In a bit of a twist I am throwing an anime in here. Which starts first chronologically. MS IGLOO 2 The Gravity Front of the Novel version of Zeonic Front?
Chris
Administrator

Since this has been going on for awhile, I really have to ask, why are you doing this? What does it matter when these things chronologically started, and why are you so desperate to know them?
animalia

@Chris I like to watch things in Chronological order, to see how things as they happened within a universe, as opposed to how they were released to the audience. As for why I care so MUCH, a lot of it probably as to do with the fact that at one point i was diagnosed with OCD. (Later it was refined to Aspberger's syndrome [sorry i cant spell my own condition properly] which still has OCD as a symptom) I am not as bad, as when I was a younger kid, but it will never go completely away.
animalia

anyways I am still waiting for an answer
Chris
Administrator

animalia wrote:anyways I am still waiting for an answer
You're probably not going to get one, so please don't bump this thread for no reason. You keep asking questions about obscure things that only a limited number of people here have knowledge about. If they don't answer, you're not going to get anything from anyone else. Also, what's the point to all this? Almost all of these things you're asking about aren't available in English. You say you like to read things in chronological order, but it's a moot point since you're not even able to read most of this stuff.
animalia

Chris wrote:
animalia wrote:anyways I am still waiting for an answer
You're probably not going to get one, so please don't bump this thread for no reason. You keep asking questions about obscure things that only a limited number of people here have knowledge about. If they don't answer, you're not going to get anything from anyone else. Also, what's the point to all this? Almost all of these things you're asking about aren't available in English. You say you like to read things in chronological order, but it's a moot point since you're not even able to read most of this stuff.
I work in scanlations and purchase my own RAWs, once I know which oredr to buy them in, I can go ahead and buy snan, get translated and edit them.
AmuroNT1

I can totally understand wanting to READ things in chronological order, but TRANSLATING them? I know you said it's not something you can help, but really think about it here. If you can't find even one piece of the metaphorical puzzle, all your work grinds to a halt until you do - and if you never find that lost story, you're up a creek without a paddle.

And even if you DO read these things in order, what about things that happen concurrently? Like, would you watch the episode of Mobile Suit Gundam that takes place on October 3, then jump over to 08th MS Team because it has an episode set on October 4? That just seems like so much frustrating and unnecessary work that it's hard to imagine someone doing it on purpose.

And really, like Deacon said, it doesn't matter all that much in which order you read these stories. The only time sidestories like these refer to one another is in the form of a shout-out or if the author wrote both stories (like Koichi Tokita slipping Geminass 01 from G-Unit and Yamato Gundam from 7th Fight into the Dark History scene in his adaptation of Turn A). You won't miss anything at all if you read these stories out of order, and you're certainly not going to spoil the outcome of a 30-year-old anime by reading its spin-offs out of order.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

As for the actual question: The Zeonic Front novelization begins on March 10, U.C. 0079, as the Midnight Fenrir team prepare for the second Earth Landing Operation. (The previous encounter between Schmeisser and Agar during Operation British is recounted as a flashback.)

MS Igloo 2 begins with the first landing operation on March 1. The main story begins on April 26, which is what I'd consider the actual episode date, but technically March 1 is the first date shown onscreen.

I agree that in general it's poor form to update your own thread with nagging requests for answers, but in this case, the nagging - or, more precisely, the fact that the thread keeps getting updated with complaints about the existence of the thread itself - seems to have paid off. :-)

-- Mark