NEW RPG THREAD DISCUSSION

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Fritz Ashlyn

Re: NEW RPG THREAD DISCUSSION

blind_dead_mcjones wrote: *crosses arms* challenge accepted.

a detective (think cluedo or something to that effect, best example i can think of) story based rpg set in the patlabor universe, the structure to which will be similar that FMP! suggestion someone made some time ago where all the player characters are on one side but in different roles (eg: detective, beat cop, labor operator, mechanic, etc) with the antagonists and neutral individuals (witnesses, lawyers, informants, and so on) being GM controlled NPC's.
So would the lawyers be antagonists, or neutral? :D

I actually like this idea. A sort of Law & Order: Mecha Victims Unit.

Edit: Police Robot Cluedo crossed with Blade Runner. This could be really neat if executed decently.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Inferno

So what I'm getting is some kind of mecha Heavy Rain?

Nice. Gonna get my film noir on.
Rob DS Zeta

Inferno wrote:So what I'm getting is some kind of mecha Heavy Rain?

*interest suddenly rises*
*insert witty eyecatch here*
blind_dead_mcjones

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:So would the lawyers be antagonists, or neutral? :D
know what you are? you're a hoot, that's what you are. :P

seriously though, what to classify them as in the game did cross my mind, best i can think of right now is treat each individual one on a case by case basis (with the possibility of an alan shore/denny crane-esque wildcard thrown in for good measure)
Fritz Ashlyn wrote: I actually like this idea. A sort of Law & Order: Mecha Victims Unit.

Edit: Police Robot Cluedo crossed with Blade Runner. This could be really neat if executed decently.
Inferno wrote:So what I'm getting is some kind of mecha Heavy Rain?

yeah thats pretty much what i'm aiming for
Flag Fighter for life!
wonton bob

I can see a "Mad Max" type setting with Red as Tina Tuner or Macross DYRL rpg.

Mod Edit (Red): Seek psychiatric help, wonton. Immediately. :|
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Tangerine

So, we got a case and then find clues and evidences like Sherlock does? I'm at loss since my anime-o-logy is pretty low.
Inferno

Tangerine wrote:So, we got a case and then find clues and evidences like Sherlock does? I'm at loss since my anime-o-logy is pretty low.
Well I'm not exactly familiar with Patlabor, but from what I'm hearing outlined, it seems like the whole adventure might be one big mystery, with some PCs being from the police, others civilians, etc. And yeah, I guess it would be a big whodunit. Not sure how we could keep mecha action involved, but it still sounds great!
wonton bob

I'm not sure if I want to go around with a magnifying glass in my mecha's pocket looking for clues so I'll throw in a few past ideas.

Blue Gender - mutant armored insects take over the earth. Either the group in space is given missions to liberate important sites or rogue groups on earth fight for survival. This could have everyone play a human and the GM control the insects.

Robotech: Malcontents - Zentradi on Earth start to revolt. This would take place after the main battle in a post-apocalyptic world. It could potentially last long if the Robotech time line is followed as Masters, New Generation and Sentinels follow.

Aliens- mercenaries or space marines could capture/investigate colonies that have lost contact with whatever government is in charge. The mecha part could be souped up loaders but they will have to be limited in number. The plus side of this is that civilians can be involved as scientists or colonists they find.
Fritz Ashlyn

wonton bob wrote:Aliens- mercenaries or space marines could capture/investigate colonies that have lost contact with whatever government is in charge. The mecha part could be souped up loaders but they will have to be limited in number. The plus side of this is that civilians can be involved as scientists or colonists they find.
NOW YOU'RE STEALING MY IDEAS
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Tangerine

wonton bob wrote:I'm not sure if I want to go around with a magnifying glass in my mecha's pocket looking for clues so I'll throw in a few past ideas.

Blue Gender - mutant armored insects take over the earth. Either the group in space is given missions to liberate important sites or rogue groups on earth fight for survival. This could have everyone play a human and the GM control the insects.

Robotech: Malcontents - Zentradi on Earth start to revolt. This would take place after the main battle in a post-apocalyptic world. It could potentially last long if the Robotech time line is followed as Masters, New Generation and Sentinels follow.

Aliens- mercenaries or space marines could capture/investigate colonies that have lost contact with whatever government is in charge. The mecha part could be souped up loaders but they will have to be limited in number. The plus side of this is that civilians can be involved as scientists or colonists they find.
I'm familiar with Blue Gender and Aliens. I think both could provide good settings for upcoming RPG. That said I'm more into Aliens tho, since Blue Gender story is a bit wierd in the end. Especially the crazy idea of where the monsters come from, etc.

How bout something like this. Large colonial vessel with small guardian fleet on auto control ventured deep into the space. It's population was sleeping in cold-sleep facility waiting for arrival in the new solar system when suddenly everybody being awakened halfway in their journey. Everybody guessed system failure and working to find the problem. Everything seems like just a fluke and they are on their way to fix the problem, that is until somebody sees blood and then found a victim. Now everybody looked around tried to find the killer. and then wierd things started to happen frequently like guardian ships acting up and all.
blind_dead_mcjones

Tangerine wrote:So, we got a case and then find clues and evidences like Sherlock does? I'm at loss since my anime-o-logy is pretty low.
not quite, it would depend entirely upon what role your character would have in the police force. a labor operator for example wouldn't be questioning suspects or sleuthing about (unless he was doing the latter during his/her off duty time, in which he'd have to avoid being seen by both civies and the police) and conversely you wouldn't have a detective piloting a AV-98 ingram to try and stop a rogue construction mecha.

another factor would be how seemingly unrelated and inconsequential events would all tie together and reveal the bigger picture

as for the big mystery thats driving the plot, given what both the films and the series are like almost anything would go
Spoiler
from labors comming to life and running amok without a pilot, to coup de'tat's and even gigantic horror movie-esque monsters.
best bit of advice i can give is go find a find a copy of at least one of the patlabor movies and watch it to get a feel for the idea
Flag Fighter for life!
wonton bob

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:
wonton bob wrote:Aliens- mercenaries or space marines could capture/investigate colonies that have lost contact with whatever government is in charge. The mecha part could be souped up loaders but they will have to be limited in number. The plus side of this is that civilians can be involved as scientists or colonists they find.
NOW YOU'RE STEALING MY IDEAS
I didn't say they were mine. Just throwing in past ideas...noticed how I stayed away from anything Russian.
Tangerine

blind_dead_mcjones wrote: best bit of advice i can give is go find a find a copy of at least one of the patlabor movies and watch it to get a feel for the idea
Umm I remember few story arches that includes detective in Patlabor but those were few and not really clear nor complete as in it's not even close to the usual detective story like NCIS or CSI. and actually I have watched all 3 movies, TVs and manga (non-english), so I'm pretty sure about this. But I think wonton bob's idea of aliens/space marines capturing lost colonies is easier to understand.
Inferno

So when would we have to post our official ideas?
blind_dead_mcjones

Tangerine wrote: Umm I remember few story arches that includes detective in Patlabor but those were few and not really clear nor complete as in it's not even close to the usual detective story like NCIS or CSI. and actually I have watched all 3 movies, TVs and manga (non-english), so I'm pretty sure about this.
wasn't aware of that, my bad
Tangerine wrote: But I think wonton bob's idea of aliens/space marines capturing lost colonies is easier to understand.
true, but easier to understand does not always translate into longevity or interest being maintained (just look at the G Gundam RPG) admittedly that is more a GM and pacing issue though
Flag Fighter for life!
mcred23

Inferno wrote:So when would we have to post our official ideas?
You can post them here whenever you feel like it to get feedback and work things out, but the actual submissions (PMing them to me for a voting poll) probably won't be until next weekend.
blind_dead_mcjones wrote:true, but easier to understand does not always translate into longevity or interest being maintained (just look at the G Gundam RPG) admittedly that is more a GM and pacing issue though
And it's worth noting that the G Gundam RPG (Or rather, the last G RPG) had its share of GM issues (Which in turn led to the pacing ones, among other), which is why it didn't work out (And is why the majority of RPG's don't work, FYI).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Omega

Well... I do have an RPG idea i'd figured wouldn't hurt to throw in...

MS Saga Chaos War

Setting: 100 Years after a disaster nearly wiped all traces of humanity from the Earth, the world is now united under the 'Zarth Republic'... However, civil unrest exists, which leads to a rebellion. The rebels have on their side the Legendary 'Gundam'... To counter this, the Republic gives a rather shocking discovery to the world: The Legendary suit is the very cause of the disaster that occured a century earlier turning the tide against the rebels...

Notes: The base idea of this is an MS Saga-esque RP meaning there will be G-Systems which will be held in three categories; Micro (Mini-G System), Super (Mega G System) and Giga (Super Mega G System).

Factions:

-Zarth Republic: The world-wide government in this game.
-____________: The rebel faction (If someone can give a name you're more than welcome to the idea)

Mobile Weapons:

While the Zarth Republic revealed that the Gundam caused the great fall, it's five main generals each use a Gundam. As stated the Rebels also have one in their possession...

Otherwise...

RGM-79 GM (The Origin Ver.)
RGM-79D Cold Climate GM
RGM-79[G] GM Ground Type
RGC-80 GM Cannon
MS-06F2 Zaku II Type F2 (Federation Colors)
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai
MS-09K-2 Dom Cannon
MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jager
OZ-06MS Leo
---

Now a much simpler idea that the Trinary might be a tad wary of, would be a 'Grunt Wars' counterpart to TARRRPG... (Though I question the odds of it happening)
Last edited by Omega on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangerine

Am tired of another re-use of GM and Zakus in different/spin-off/alternate verse whatever post apocaliptic universe. :oops:

Why don't just another side-story to the UC timeline but TFTF filled that slot already.

If we're into new RPG please submit something that's not about Zaku, GMs or Leos. Give the grunt a rest.
Inferno

Tangerine wrote: If we're into new RPG please submit something that's not about Zaku, GMs or Leos. Give the grunt a rest.
So much for my idea of Zero-G Zaku basketball...
Omega

Tangerine: Are you saying you don't want to see those particular grunts, or you just don't want any grunts period in the next RP?