The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
kayone73

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

Outlaw wrote:
Chris wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you want to put yourself on the same level as Peter Griffin. :lol:
uuummmm I'll go with the, "there's a little Peter in us all" defense. lol
...yeah, read that out loud to yourself, I'd still rephrase that... lol
Momaru

prince_of_zeon wrote: My initial apprehension from just seeing the lineart instantly went away when we saw the blue-haired kid's mother get immolated and crushed to death right in front of him. Yeah, real kid stuff :P
My thoughts exactly. Yeah, some of the characters look pretty funny, but going by the trailer this show looks pretty enjoyable and more "mature" than I originally thought. I especially like the aliens. I really dont get why people are hating on this show. Did they even bother to watch the trailer? I feel that most peoples fears can be assuaged if they bothered to have an open mind while they watched it. I for one am really exited about gundam age, and can't wait to see the show!
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Newtype87

Okay, after my initial "Oh, [violate] me with a beam saber!" reaction, I have calmed down and gotten to the "Okay, we know almost nothing about this show" phase, meaning I am now able to give it a chance and see how this goes. True, my reactions to the designs and the concept aren't as good as my initial reactions to Gundam 00's were, but hey, I'm past the childish phase. Now to get my fellow Gundam fan pal past that stage…

As for the trailer… the music's a bit cheesy, but what the heck, I like cheesy sometimes.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Deathzealot

What I didn't really like is the Ship shown in this preview which I believe to be the Federation Ship Diva. Something I never thought I seen a ship in the colors of the RX-78. /shakes head/

What I did like is the MP Mobile Suit the Genoace. While it only as a few second appearance in the Preview I immediately liked the design. For it is a change from the normal GM-Inspired Machines which personally I find kind of getting old.

Anyways my two-cents.
Chris
Administrator

Deathzealot wrote:What I didn't really like is the Ship shown in this preview which I believe to be the Federation Ship Diva. Something I never thought I seen a ship in the colors of the RX-78. /shakes head/
Uhh, the White Base has the same red, white, yellow and blue color scheme as the RX-78, so yes, you have already seen this before. In addition, the Argama, Nahel Argama, Ra Cailum, Archangel and Minerva all have some variation of those same four colors. This is not anything new.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

Weeeeell, the Minerva not so much...if anything, its dark gray/black/red/orange colors are more "Trombe" than "Gundam". But the others yeah, definitely.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Dark Duel wrote:Weeeeell, the Minerva not so much...if anything, its dark gray/black/red/orange colors are more "Trombe" than "Gundam". But the others yeah, definitely.
Which is why I said "variation." It still has red, blue, yellow and bits of white.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Deathzealot

Yes that's True but I meant in that specific scheme.
mobiusdiablo

Just got to see the trailer not too long ago, and I'm still feeling good about this series. Man, we already get a variation of 'Mother and Child' in the goddamn PREVIEW!

My high points:

Mechanical Design: Especially liking the AGE now in animation, yeah, it looks very RX-78ish, but at least it ain't the F91. The Genoace looks pretty cool, and it doesn't seem to be too based off of the Gundam in the show, and the enemy mechs look awesome. Their humanoid form makes me feel that we may not be dealing with aliens though...

Main Character: Though I AM disappointed that we only got to see Frite and not the other two, I can understand why they did this (but it does give me a feeling we're gonna see one of them at a time instead of them weaving back and forth). However, he is the aforementioned kid in 'mother and child', and like others have stated, he seems pretty ready to pilot the Gundam, not whining like SO MANY OTHER protagonists.

Low points:

Character Design: The character design seems a bit out of place to me comparing it with the other Gundams, it feels like they've drawn from more modern shows aimed specifically at ages 12 and under, but it doesn't bug me TOO much. To be more precise, using something like...00 or Frontier as an example, everything seems a bit less detailed and more simplified. This was most apparent to me when comparing the AGE-1 in the trailer to the HG model kit on Tomopop.

The ship: I'm agreeing on Deathzealot on this one, the ship just seems...weird to me, maybe it's partially the color scheme after watching 00 and VOTOMS where things aren't as colorful ship-wise, but it's mainly the shape that bugs me. Flat and triangular...it reminds me of an onigiri, especially if you painted it the right way.

Either way, looking forward to AGE (shame we'll get it in October instead of September like I hoped, but eh). Also, the shot of the painting of the Gundam brought the scene in Unicorn Ep 1 when Banagher brings Minerva to the Vist mansion and went into that room into my mind, and it just won't leave. Did other people get that feeling, or am I finally going off the deep end?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
RLZIII

Deacon Blues wrote:http://www.zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=749

^-- official website translations
Great job! I've already updated my website after reading your translations as they clear up a some other blotchy ones. Thanks for the work again, Deacon.
SDGundamX

After watching the trailer it doesn't look too bad. The character design's on the other hand.....
azrael

As I'm reading the synopsis, I'm getting a weird Turn A-vibe...Earth is at peace and then crap hits the fan.

Also, they don't mention who the UE are. They didn't say "alien"... And the Gafran could be hiding a mono-eye somewhere in there.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Either way, looking forward to AGE (shame we'll get it in October instead of September like I hoped, but eh). Also, the shot of the painting of the Gundam brought the scene in Unicorn Ep 1 when Banagher brings Minerva to the Vist mansion and went into that room into my mind, and it just won't leave. Did other people get that feeling, or am I finally going off the deep end?
I got the same feeling, though I didn't recall that particular scene at the time. So far, the trailer shows all the ingredients for the perfect kiddie show. Absolute aggressive enemy, check. Young boy tasked with defeating the invaders, check. Multicolored robot able to 'strike' dramatic poses on cue, check. Awesome handheld robot-activating device, check. Haro robot ball, double-check on that one.

And I still prefer this over people playing cards on motorcycles.

While the latest news on the AGE Gunpla has somewhat put my mind at ease, Bandai's GAGE-ING microchip technology piques my interests quite a bit. Though it's too early to tell, this may be the very first step to making "Gunpla Battle" a reality.

As for the character designs, they're pretty Digimon/Kirby-ish, but whatever. It's no better than what I see in a Shotaro Ishinomori cartoon or a Osamu Tezuka comic, and I love both.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
RLZIII

azrael wrote:As I'm reading the synopsis, I'm getting a weird Turn A-vibe...Earth is at peace and then crap hits the fan.

Also, they don't mention who the UE are. They didn't say "alien"... And the Gafran could be hiding a mono-eye somewhere in there.
I've also kept in mind the fact that the UE are never referred to as aliens. I'm not sure if this is just a product of translating the information from Japanese to English, but it definitely stands out. I think that this will play a big part in the series at some point; perhaps, like some have mentioned elsewhere, the UE are actually mecha that are piloted by humans. We're going to have to wait and see I think one, however.
Cybaster

I dunno...I was actually kind of disappointed by the Trailer, as from the character and mecha design I was actually expecting something different --- different, and lighthearted, in a Gunpla Builders kind of way. Instead, the impression I got from the trailer was '00 and Unicorn rolled into one series...with Lucky Star-esque character designs'. (And while I myself am a fan of Lucky Star and feel that its character design style would work well for a Gunpla Builders-esque story, they just don't mesh well at all with a standard Gundam series.) <_<
Last edited by Cybaster on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
zerogradius

ShadowCell wrote:At this point I wonder how many people are actually genuinely unimpressed with this trailer and how many are simply saying so because they already staked out a position of ambivalence and don't want to lose face by saying otherwise.
I was thinking the same thing. I mean, after all the melodrama and grandstanding, it would be pretty hard to change opinions now.
Well, when you crank up the fan rage to 11 and a trailer comes out that isn't so bad, you kinda have to double down on the rage. While some fanboys will watch the first episode only, I'm sure others will complain and still watch it all the way through.
What some people are ignoring about the PV is that the mood of it is mostly dark and foreboding. If this was strictly supposed to apeal to kids, it would have been more like an earlier episode of ZZ Gundam. It doesn't necessarily mean that we're going to get another V Gundam (though out of all UC TV series, this is the only one yet to be copied) but it does prove there is a lot more to AGE than what many initially thought, so there's no harm in waiting for it to be released and giving a proper review then.

Though I must admit that some of the kneejerk reactions on this forum and others (namely Animesuki) have been hilarious.
Vent Noir

A possibility apart from the UEs been alien is that the show could pull a Nadesico on us, and have them turn out to be under the control of humans.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
maknaedik

Vent Noir wrote:A possibility apart from the UEs been alien is that the show could pull a Nadesico on us, and have them turn out to be under the control of humans.
Kinda same what I was thinking.

My theory is that we have this "Alien-like" technology adding fear and keeping people behind this scheme under a shroud.

Based from the trailer, they, UEs, have guns and some cool looking (things that come out from verniers, LOL). This is actually my "optimistic" side telling me to not lose hope that this series won't have aliens.

About the character design (drawing or animation), it reminds me of things like Digimon, Beyblade and Eternal Wing. Though I like them, I don't like them in a Gundam series. Their fat mechanic looks like a brother of Dr. Light from Megaman.

Looks like we won't be seeing much gundam mechs in this series compared to Seed/SD and OO, but rather just forms of AGE (including 1, 2 and 3). I don't have much complaints about the mech designs. I'm pretty much curious on how that dragon form thing will transform. My most favorite part is actually AGE-1's ability to change form. Pretty much like how I loved form changing Gundams and form changers as a whole. Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Zoids have those, so yeah, you get my point :)

Story wise, at first I have this theory that it will look like Kamen Rider Kiva wherein both (in this case thee of their) timelines will be seen as we go along. I guess I was wrong. AGE-2 and AGE-3 weren't revealed yet and we've been just given with silhouettes instead. I have this speculation that each one of them will have about 15 episodes each and the remaining 5 episodes will be like a conclusion of the battle. Pretty much like how Goseiger went through. That is, if they continue on taking the 50 episode route. But what I actually want to happen is for each of them to have 20 episodes at least (making it 60 each) and a movie, LOL!

I guess Ganbaride was a hit and Gundam tried to adapt (not really copy since the chips are in model kits) and made their own by producing AG and GB line. Though it's sad that there's a very low chance of that machine getting in my country. Though I'm still hoping since Musha King and the Dinosaur thingy arcade game was able to get here. If that happens, then that's the only time I'll be considering to buy an AG.

I personally think that the GB line is too expensive. More expensive than NG, but cheaper than MG. Speaking of MG, AGE-1 was already announced, but sparrow and titus weren't. Maybe they are still trying to see who's more popular between the two forms and make it into an MG. Though if those two became MGs, I'm not quite sure on how they'll pull it off. The arms of sparrow are thinner than AGE-1's, so I'm thinking that they'll have different parts for it. At least for Titus, they could just slap some extra armor like how they did with Virtue. But if they do, I think it'll be highly expensive since they have to make an inner frame, armor for AGE-1 and additional armor for Titus. So the only way to go is to produce a separate arms and feet since sparrow will most likely have its own too.

For my first post, this is pretty long. I'm sorry if this bores you, but I just want to talk my heart out
Support or like music for what its worth and not because where it came from.

My personal blog http://cmgaddict.wordpress.com

Red Gunpla Reviews http://redblondemean.wordpress.com
Uso_Evin

I had some more thoughts I thought I'd share.

One big relieve for me is how few characters there seem to be in this show. We have what seems to essentially be the crew of a ship and 2 main mobile suit pilots. I really enjoyed 00, but felt that so many characters were included that many of them were given unsatisfactory conclusions (Graham, Marina, Wang Liu Mei, Trinities etc). Hopefully with this series we can really get to grips with a small base of characters and their relationships. Some question marks still hang over this though. Will their be enemy characters, or will they just be a faceless menace ala Eva Angels? Will the generational aspect run along side, flipping between the 3 story arcs and therefore introducing three sets of characters?

On a related note, I think it is safe to assume that Emily will be the mother/grandmother of the generational characters. I wonder if she will play a role that spans across all stories? Will Frite appear across time lines for that matter? I can't see him being any older than 40 in Asem's timeline (more like 35 most likely) and under 60 in Kio's (maybe the characters, particular the 13 tear old Kio, are so young precisely for this reason), so I imagine if he doesn't appear, he would have to have been killed off. That would certainly be a bold move to make (killing off the main character) and would really add some interesting dimensions to the theme of carrying on the legacy through the gundam that seems to be emphasised in press material.

So many potentially interesting paths this show could go down. Judging by the tone of the trailer, I think the series will deliver on the promises of its concept.