Ep. 062 - Sewing Shadowy Seeds

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 062 - Sewing Shadowy Seeds

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 062 - "Sewing Shadowy Seeds"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 148 min., 11 sec. (2:28:11) - 67.8 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:56:10

03. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:56:10 - 0:57:02

04. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:57:02 - 0:58:11

05. 1st Segment: "Manga Spotlight: The Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray Series"
Runtime: 0:58:11 - 1:41:18

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:41:18 - 1:42:10

07. 2nd Segment: "Anime Toilet - 'Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles'"
Runtime: 1:42:10 - 2:21:38

08. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:21:38 - 2:22:07

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:22:07 - 2:23:37

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:23:37 - 2:28:11

That flushing sound you hear means Anime Toilet is back! In the bowl this time is the 2006 follow-up movie to the Robotech saga, "The Shadow Chronicles"! Before that, however, we run down the different novels & mangas in the "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray" series!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
"Man Rape" by Dave Chappelle
* from the Laugh Factory (YouTube Channel)

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Don't Stop! Carry On!" by RD
* from "Mobile Suit Victory Gundam", Season Two OP

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Take the Wave" by Naifu
* from "Golgo 13" (Anime Series), Season One OP

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Take Off - Daisanshou - Ooi Naru Yuushi no Kodou" by Toshihiko Sahashi
* from the album "Symphony Seed: Gundam Seed"

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"Invoke" by T.M. Revolution
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED", Season One OP

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Wind Of Madness" by Kota Suzuki
* from "Resident Evil 5"

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
"Robotech Theme" by Ulpio Minucci
* from the album "Robotech Perfect Soundtrack"

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"We Will Win" performed by Reba West
* from the album "Robotech Perfect Soundtrack"

- Outro BGM
"A Beautiful Mine" by David Carbonara
* from "Mad Men - Original Score Vol. 1"

- Outro Drop
* from "Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu"

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"The Knight" by Kotaro Nakagawa
* from "Code Geass R2 OST, Vol. 1"

- Stinger Drop
"Man Rape" (con't) by Dave Chappelle
* from the Laugh Factory (YouTube Channel)

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Crestborne

Re: Ep. 062 - Sewing Shadowy Seeds

You guys need to produce a couple of specials with Chris and SoulBro Debating Topics back and forth! That would be awesome!
SoulBro is always the optimistic dreamer, the guy who sees things half-full, while Chris (Love you man!) is the pessimistic, glass half-empty, Opinions Staked In Reality kinda guy.

Oh man, Fund It. If anyone else likes that idea, give some input!

But, to the podcast, I'm only about an hour in, but I Dig this one alot. I had a chance to watch, for the first time, Shadow Chronicles. I won't be able to catch their opinions till after work today....bummer.

That naked mist chick really blew my mind. That whole movie, man...WTF was that?
Anyway, Good Job Guys! Keep Up The Good Work!
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro
Wheel Of Doom Stream - Monday 7pm EST
twitch.tv/powerborne
Dollow

What was the the song at the end of the mailbag? I am trying to remember what it was from.

In the mailbag, in term of woman in mecha anime, what about Patlabor? You had three strong females, who to me at least; stood out campare to other shows. I feel the same way about this, I want a female so bad, but the day that happens pigs will fly.

I am relistening to the show, but I know what is coming, its going be either The Wings of Rean or Garzey's Wing, I am calling it.
Last edited by Dollow on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Furious Rodimus

I find Shadow Chronicles so frustrating b/c as a kid I searched down all of the Robotech novels at the library to find out what happened, and this movie, which I was really hoping would wrap this up, or keep moving in that direction. I would love to see that. Or even the Zentraedi Rebellion novel would be cool to have been adapted.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Vent Noir

In the mailbag segment, when you mentioned there were no non-Meltran female pilots in Macross, you forgot the Konig Monster pilot from Frontier (Kanaria, wasn't it?). And honestly, apart from the original Macross when they were on the enemy side, I don't feel the fact that the female pilots are Meltran (or part-Meltran) really matters.

EDIT: Also, I don't feel that a female character has to be a pilot or in a position of authority to be a strong character - as I've said before, Sheryl is one of the strongest female characters I've seen in anime)

Also... you said Hayao Miyazaki is the most feminist person in anime... no disrespect to him, but I personally think Revolutionary Girl Utena is the most feminist anime I have seen.

BTW, the pilot from Wonder Woman is called Steve Trevor.

Hopefully I'll get around to listening to the rest of the episode by this evening.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

Vent Noir wrote:In the mailbag segment, when you mentioned there were no non-Meltran female pilots in Macross, you forgot the Konig Monster pilot from Frontier (Kanaria, wasn't it?). And honestly, apart from the original Macross when they were on the enemy side, I don't feel the fact that the female pilots are Meltran (or part-Meltran) really matters.
Yes, after recording the episode, I remembered about Canaria. Zero did have Norma, but she was just a one-dimensional antagonist. And the Macross II Valkyrie bunnies aren't anything more than window dressing. I have to disagree with you about the Meltran issue not mattering. I don't think this is a theme the franchise is actively promoting, but throughout all of Macross, it's almost like they're saying, if you're a human woman and don't have genetically engineered fighting DNA in you, then your job is to sing. You really do have to wonder why there are so few human female pilots in any Macross that don't have Meltran blood in them.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Vent Noir

Another thing that I remembered in regard to gender relations... I was at a panel at Worldcon called "The Plight of Female Superheroes", where the panelists mentioned that comics and shows targeted at kids often do a better job with gender equality than supposedly more "mature" shows.

This seems to apply to Japan as well. Almost every Super Sentai show (the only exception being Sunvulcan, IIRC) has at least one female team member, often two, and they never get told they shouldn't be fighting or aren't worthy of being on the team because they're girls... why is it that kids' shows do a better job with gender equality than adult shows?

(And, media-wise, I don't think America is great with this either. One of the reasons I've been reading more books lately is that I feel I have a better chance of finding strong female characters in a book than in a movie or TV show)
Chris wrote:Yes, after recording the episode, I remembered about Canaria. Zero did have Norma, but she was just a one-dimensional antagonist. And the Macross II Valkyrie bunnies aren't anything more than window dressing. I have to disagree with you about the Meltran issue not mattering. I don't think this is a theme the franchise is actively promoting, but throughout all of Macross, it's almost like they're saying, if you're a human woman and don't have genetically engineered fighting DNA in you, then your job is to sing. You really do have to wonder why there are so few human female pilots in any Macross that don't have Meltran blood in them.
We obviously disagree on how important the Meltran thing is, but considering the power of song in the Macross universe, that could be construed as saying that women are the ones who hold the real power there.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Soul Bro Ryu

Crestborne wrote:You guys need to produce a couple of specials with Chris and SoulBro Debating Topics back and forth! That would be awesome!
SoulBro is always the optimistic dreamer, the guy who sees things half-full, while Chris (Love you man!) is the pessimistic, glass half-empty, Opinions Staked In Reality kinda guy.
Love the idea, man. Now to find a topic to debate Chris on where he won't slaughter me ^_^
Dollow wrote:What was the the song at the end of the mailbag? I am trying to remember what it was from.
Peep the latest update to top post. I updated it with a tracklist of all the songs featured in this episode. Hope that helps :)
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Just finished listening to the episode.
So Neo chose my article, cool, thought it might catch his eye.

On Gundam Astray series I am very much so in to the Astray and MSV stuff of CE.
I have the Astray and Astray R Manga stuff, I am going to read X Astray when I get hold of volume 1.
I don't mind the shift of focus, so I don't hate on it like Chris does.
I think Prayer and Canard are literal opposites to Kira and Rau as clones I always found that angle interesting.

Robotech Shadow Chronicles haven't seen, probably never will, Robotech should die in flames nowadays(Burn it with fire)
Especially if they can't make a quality product, let Macross come through.

I mean I like the origional Robotech Macross saga and New Generation, but it's stagnated.
And to know Sue Blu worked on this and couldn't do it decently is odd.
Beast Wars was a series she did.

That is all I have to say, lay down my hate on Shadow Chronicles and leave.

Also this is a note for Neo don't forget 65 is the magical number for syndication :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taekmkm

You really do have to wonder why there are so few human female pilots in any Macross that don't have Meltran blood in them.
Same reason why there's barely any in the real world.
Chris
Administrator

Taekmkm wrote:
You really do have to wonder why there are so few human female pilots in any Macross that don't have Meltran blood in them.
Same reason why there's barely any in the real world.
This is the part where you're supposed to elaborate, instead of just throwing out a statement that means nothing by itself.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Or cryptic jokes that blow or confuses some people's minds(not literally blow them up mind you)

Also on a rethink I'm surprised Chris didn't mention the outframe can use like nearly every damn pack created for like the Strike or Impulse.

Then there was the cool stuff like Kisato and her whole thing for George Glenn memorbilia.
Then they got the holographic representation of his brain and all.

Not to mention how he elaborated on co-ordinators original intended purpose and all.
Hyakushiki

Not to harp on the stupidity of fanboys and trolls, but when you mentioned Robotech.coms' forums it reminded me of a YouTube user that trolls every single Macross related video he can find saying how it shouldn't be called Macross because people know it better as Robotech anyway. He even went as far as making videos retooling other shows to make them part of Robotech as well, such as Zeta Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Cowboy Bebop, even Evangelion! complete with arbitrarily changing charatcter names and plotlines to shoehorn them into the rest of the saga. Ironically, he was banned from Robotech.com so that's saying something.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Mu La Flaga

That is one example of a bad troll to the extreme, since Macross was the origional material for Robotech's first saga.

What an idiot that he went so far with his hatred.
mobiusdiablo

Great episode guys. I was looking forward to it all week.

I was listening to the "1/1 Gundam parts being sold for charity" article when a funny idea came into my head. All of these kids that are going to be vaccinated because of this are more or less being helped out by a Gundam, just like Setsuna was. Are we going to start seeing a whole bunch of mass production Exias or something?

Chris, don't hate the guys that get to see the 00 movie on the 9th, just ban whoever talks about it...wait a second...PLEASE SPARE ME!
Dollow wrote:What was the the song at the end of the mailbag? I am trying to remember what it was from.
SoulBroRyu wrote:Peep the latest update to top post. I updated it with a tracklist of all the songs featured in this episode. Hope that helps :)
Wow, this is cool! Maybe someone could retcon this for the previous eps? Nah, not likely, soon, but it would be nice to actually know what tracks I'm hearing and what they're from.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Dollow

I have had relisten to the ep, and Soul Bro and Chris are willing to debate that love and hate podcast on Return of the Joker I am willing to edit it. LOL :lol:

Overall I love this ep with the manga spotlight, gives the show a new fresh feeling. Shadow Chronicles is "wow bad", voicing I love but story low on good, in terms of Sue Blu and Richard Epcar, somethings just do not work.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
jabman025

Great show guys, I really got a kick out of it.

I for one liked Batman Beyond and return of the joker, but I will admit the only way to see it is the uncut version, the edited version is really agervating

Now as for the Astray series I really enjoy both Astray, Astray R, and I also liked X Astray, I kind of enjoyed the Destiny Astray series but the lack of ending really annoyed me.

In terms of Robotech the Shadow Chronicles, I ,like Neo, watched the first 15 mintues of the movie and was easily able to determine that it was a big steaming hunk of crap. I never did finish it and unlike you poor saps I didn't have to!

Well once again, good show and I am looking forward to the next episode!

Oh and one more thing, I am the defender of destiny, it gets a bad rap, blah blah blah, all that jazz
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Taekmkm

This is the part where you're supposed to elaborate, instead of just throwing out a statement that means nothing by itself.
Um, sorry was half-awake.

Basically prejudice against female pilots that aren't proven already (Like Meltrans) would still exist, plus some disinterest. Just because female pilot jobs are available, doesn't mean they would take them. This is pretty much with any military job, from my experience. A lot would prefer the safety of managing ship bridges or deskjobs.
TakaTahuNuva

Can't blame you for not being able to pronounce my username, Neo. Not even I can do it at times. xP

As for Robotech - as I said in another thread, I really didn't find it that bad. Okay, it was worse than Destiny, but saying it's in the same level as MD Geist? Sorry, but no. Maybe it's just my crazy opinion. Maybe it's because it's been a while since I've seen it. Maybe it's me being a nonconformist. I dunno, I thought it was just... average.
ohhhh snap
Doven

On the women in mech anime mail question, (now correct me if im wrong I couldn't find it anymore) I had read a few times that Heero Yuy was orginaly designed to be a girl, but desided to change it because he/she was very close to design to Rei from Evangelion. (once again not sure if this is true)

There is a side story manga to wing called Tiel's impulse where the main character Tiel Noembreux is a girl.
If knowing is half the battle then Im going in unarmed.