Topic Submission Thread Mark II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Vent Noir

Re: Topic Submission Thread Mark II

Something like "Top 5 Entrances" or "Top 5 Character/Mecha Introduction scenes".
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Maybe 5 or so best and worst real or super robot designs, something new that crossed my mind after seeing new posts in here :P
eanetdude

I propose a Roundup! of either the first or both seasons of The Big O. It was a great mecha series that brought back the super robot genre with nods to the Film Noir genre, and Batman: The Animated Series, and had a tremendous soundtrack by Toshihiko Sahashi (Gundam SEED/Destiny/Gunslinger Girl).
Arbiter GUNDAM

Something I think might be cool is if you did a spotlight on what people in the mecha community are doing, such as custom drawings, fanfics (though that could be potentially dangerous :roll: ), and, particularly the Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG and the RPGs here on MechaTalk. It would have to be anything major, I could see it going from 5-10min. max.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dollow

I was reading some scifi books of terminator and I was thinking, maybe you guys could do a segment where you talk about written books of fiction, I.E. World of the Worlds, The Gundam Novels, maybe some anime scifi novels, but for the most part things of scifi that you have read and liked a great deal, that might make a great segment.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
LightningCount

eanetdude wrote:I propose a Roundup! of either the first or both seasons of The Big O. It was a great mecha series that brought back the super robot genre with nods to the Film Noir genre, and Batman: The Animated Series, and had a tremendous soundtrack by Toshihiko Sahashi (Gundam SEED/Destiny/Gunslinger Girl).
If you do this, don't forget to talk about the sadly canceled Big-O Season 3, which had been optioned but never realized. The head writer Konaka said it would only continue with massive fan support, but Cartoon Network would later say the following:

ToonZone: Toonami's helped get new episodes of some old shows on the air, like ReBoot and The Big O. Are there any series you'd like to see continued?

Sean Akins (CN Producer): The Big O, we co-produced that second season. I thought it was a great project, I liked it a lot. But I think it's a little bit too cerebral. It started off on Toonami and moved to Adult Swim, and it did okay but it wasn't really burning it up. I would love to see that finished, but I think the likelihood of that is slim to none. Mainly, these days we're trying to make new shows, co-produce new shows, and get some new things on the air instead of looking back.

Also: Before Sean spoke up, Kim Manning of Adult Swim was asked the following question, and gave the following response:

And what is up with Big O Season 3?

I wasn't in on this, so I asked Jason DeMarco, who was involved in production for season 2, and here's what he said: "Unfortunately, I don't think it can happen. The ratings and DVD sales in the US and Japan were middling. The only reason Bandai made season 2 was because we asked them to, as a matter of fact. I myself am happy with the ending of the story in season 2, though the writer, Chiaki Konaka, told me he did have another idea for season 3....there you go!"
Last edited by LightningCount on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Koshernova

See, I kinda didn't realise this thread existed, so I snuck in topic submission at the mailbag thread. Apologies, Gundamn hosts!

So, here's my topic suggestions:

-Mamoru Nagano Anime Spotlight: Could be just one episode, talking about L-Gaim and Five Star Stories, as well as Nagano's influence as a mecha designer. Plus I'd like to know if there's any interesting info to be had about L-Gaim's behind the scenes. As for every Tomino show, there's always a rumour mill. What I've heard about L-Gaim is that there was a bit of tension between the creative visions of Tomino and Nagano...

-Game spotlight on Xenogears: It's controversial, but it's also a huge love letter to the mecha anime genre, with tributes within its plot, characters and mecha to numerous anime like Macross, Gundam, Evangelion, Dancougar, etc.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

I have something for the Anime Toilet :twisted:
-Dragonaut the Resonance
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Dollow

For Anime Toilet why do not The Candidate for Goddess A.K.A Pilot Candidate, since I am one of the few people who does like the show, but almost everyone hates this, I think it could be a funny segment.
Last edited by Dollow on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Koshernova

Sadly, I can't think of anything mecha related for Anime Toilet... My only suggestion would be Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Mu La Flaga

Topic Suggestion for the Gundamn Crew.

Discussion of SciFi movies that may contain elements to the Gundamn crew which would be interesting to review here is my quicklist of titles of movies.
Judge Dredd, District 9, Demolition Man, Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Starship Troopers(and sequels), Event Horizon, Universal Soldier(and sequels), The Terminator series movies, Independence Day, Stargate, Total Recall, the Matrix movies.
That is all I have for suggestions for now, hope you guys might find them interesting.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mu La Flaga

New suggestion idea for the Gundamn crew.
Discussion of a rarer example of an American mecha based series, namely Battletech/Mechwarrior.
Can talk about the games, the novels, the RPG, the one off tv series and all that stuff, not to mention the line up of mechs, weapons, abilities, tactics ect.
Flame-X

Here's a few suggestions for the Anime Toilet.
-Soul Link
-Martian Successor Nadesico - The Prince of Darkness
-Mars of Destruction
-Brain Powerd
Dollow

I would like it if you could do a Manga Spotlight on Mobile Suit Gundam The Plot to Assassinate Gihren, I read the whole thing after reading a post by Kratos, and after finishing it I thought it was really good, and the end made me smile a little bit, and it is a good way to look a Zeon without everyone a Uber Nazi. I think this would cool to do and it would be a nice change in pace from the normal Anime Spotlight.

Keep up the good work.
Last edited by Dollow on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Furious Rodimus

Anime Toilet - Sword for Truth. I rented this video because the sticker said it was supposed to be the next Ninja Scroll. It was not. Not at all.

General topic: The Business of Mecha Anime a topic on licensing issues, including copyright, finances et al. You guys have talked about it a few times in passing but a segment would be excellent.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
DepthCharge

You should make one abouthot blooded characters in anime
Mu La Flaga

One new idea for a topic submission.
Discussion of SciFi series that also had interesting potential, since already did it with FireFly.
I propose these titles.
Seaquest DSV, Sliders, Earth 2, Stargate SG1 and your welcome to expand on it if gives you guys have any ideas.
Dollow

Mu La Flaga wrote:One new idea for a topic submission.
Discussion of SciFi series that also had interesting potential, since already did it with FireFly.
I propose these titles.
Seaquest DSV, Sliders, Earth 2, Stargate SG1 and your welcome to expand on it if gives you guys have any ideas.
Stargate would be nice.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Vent Noir

The Military SF panel at Worlcon brought an idea to mind:

Japanese Military SF versus American Military SF: What are the similarities and differences?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Ok so new ideas for topic submissions

Firstly, I was thinking doing a discussion of the Megaman series or more specifically the X series/setting.
Since the X, Z and ZX series have such an interesting premise in the future of Repliods and Mavericks and how much robots have evolved to have individual personnalities ect.
Not to mention that some decide, they want to form a new world by wiping out humans ect.
It reallys fits in to Gundamn's usual lots of discussion.

Secondly, I was thinking about this, try thinking of mechs that make the character more, then in your previous discussion on "what makes the show the mech or the character?"
Because in some cases or settings, like SRW OGs series the mechs very much so make up a part of the characters as much as the characters in that reality do.
So that might give you more ideas guys.

Thirdly, Mechs that have the most interesting combination or transformations that you like or find awesome.
Despiter how impractical it might be.
Like GaoGaiGar or Power Rangers Zords or Gundam, transforming MSes or Gundams or Super Robot Series.

Finally, the most awesome arnaments on a robot, from Gundamn to super robot.
Just talk about machines that kick ass wether they be overpowered, their features, their abailities anything ect.
I mean a good example which is a Power Rangers cited example the Mega Tigerzord taking out 3 monsters in one blow as opposed to the Thunder Megazord which couldn't do the job earlier on.
So give that some thought.

So those are my new submissions for topic ideas.