Turn A Gundam: Coming soon

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Turn A Gundam: Coming soon

Even though and maybe it's just me.
He sounds like Ted Cole aka the guy who does WuFei on Gundam Wing.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCollegeD

Dark Duel wrote:Well to be fair, Brad was pretty darned awesome as Setsuna, too. But Loran is an entirely different character, and Brad would just sound wrong. (Matt Hill would be even worse, and Steve would sound too old for Loran, though I can see him fairly convincing as either what's-his-face that always gets Loran's name wrong, Gavane, or Harry)

I also agree that perhaps some new blood would be best - a good case in point is Alex Zahara: almost a complete nobody, appears out of nowhere with the dub of Gundam 00, and he makes a badass Lockon.
Honestly, i think Annika Odegard in DWG2 had the right voice, it was just her acting that was off which i attribute to absolutely terrible direction(even Zechs and Amuro sounded off and Brian and Brad have been voicing them for years). I actually had brad down for Josef and i think Kirby Morrow would make the PERFECT Guin. I think Trevor Devall would make the better Gavane too.
Darkerangel

Dark Duel wrote:As long as we don't get Brad Swaile, Steve Staley, or Matt Hill as Loran, I'm good with almost anything. (I know two of those are not even remotely plausible, but you never know - weirder things've happened)
Soma Taozi wrote:My only issue was that I wish that Lorin was a girl. I really think that would have broken new ground and really it would have made more sense if they built the series around that, because of how weird and strange Turn A was.
I do want to say one thing: I completely agree that Loran being a girl would've totally rocked on the basis of doing something totally new, which Turn-A did in a lot of aspects.
But on the other hand, we would lose the amusing story element of Loran cross-dressing, which while not entirely new(see: ZZ) nor strictly necessary, was still funny as all heck.
I can bypass Loran not being a girl for the simple fact that he's black ( <.< or so I assume...).
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
TheCollegeD

Darkerangel wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:As long as we don't get Brad Swaile, Steve Staley, or Matt Hill as Loran, I'm good with almost anything. (I know two of those are not even remotely plausible, but you never know - weirder things've happened)
Soma Taozi wrote:My only issue was that I wish that Lorin was a girl. I really think that would have broken new ground and really it would have made more sense if they built the series around that, because of how weird and strange Turn A was.
I do want to say one thing: I completely agree that Loran being a girl would've totally rocked on the basis of doing something totally new, which Turn-A did in a lot of aspects.
But on the other hand, we would lose the amusing story element of Loran cross-dressing, which while not entirely new(see: ZZ) nor strictly necessary, was still funny as all heck.
I can bypass Loran not being a girl for the simple fact that he's black ( <.< or so I assume...).
.....................what?
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Darkerangel wrote:
Loran's black? I always thought he was Indian (as in from India, not native american)
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Darkerangel

Hi_Nu_Gundam wrote:
Loran's black? I always thought he was Indian (as in from India, not native american)
hmhm Shakti looks more Indian than he is.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Saikuba

Isn't Loran from the moon something like a million years in the future (accounting for the Dark History?) Does it really matter or even make sense to talk about what his race is?
Casval Rem Daikun

Considering the prior, (and honestly subsequent), representations of black characters in Gundam or any anime for that matter, Loran's character was pretty groundbreaking, and refreshing in many ways. He fit none of the lousy stereotypes you tend to see in anime, and best of all, it didn't matter if he was black (or any other ethnicity) to any of the other characters. It was such a non-issue that one only thinks about it when it comes up in discussions like this.

It's odd trying to relate it to others, but basically you unconsciously hope to see yourself in some of the characters, be it physically or personality wise. It ticks you off when they toss up something that makes you want to find the character designer and animators and ask them if they've ever actually met a black person before. It's not just anime that does this of course, but it sticks out more (to me at least) in Anime since there are so few instances where there are any characters with skin even approaching brown at all.

I never thought of Loran as being Indian though, not like Shakti, Lalah, or Marvette. Honestly, I wondered about Miashei more than Loran, since she looks absolutely nothing like her father. I've absently wondered what the heck her mom looked like that her DNA and Ladderum's produced a kid with those features. I am glad they didn't though, as it might have resulted in another aggravating instance of what I consider spearchucker* imagery - basically basing all black characters of some old National Geographic pictures of tribal Africans, or the smart street thug look where the character is always 6'4", ripped and has dreadlocks. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Darryl Dodge, dead Flag Fighter. They could easily have given Howard Mason the dreds, or the red hair for that matter...

Guin, I now realize is the descendent of Jersey Shore cast members.

Anyway, I also think they need someone new or at least younger sounding to do Loran's voice if there's to be a dub of Turn-A. The usual suspects are good VA's, but they need someone who can pull of Laura as well as Loran.

I'm also concerned that Khiel/Diana and Lily Borjano will sound too old as well. At the moment I can't think of anyone (regular VA or otherwise) that could do justice to the scene where Diana is standing under the Canon Illfuetto at the end of episode 15.

*If I've offended any professional spearchuckers, I'm sorry, but if you've seen those old NatGeo mags, you know what I'm talking about. :D
TheCollegeD

Reading a blog post on toonzone about a trip to otakon specifically to the gundam related panels. http://www.toonzone.net/blog/blogs/262/ ... m-unicorn/
the interesting thing i found is that in regard to a question that asked if NYAV could dub Turn A due to their superlative work on Unicorn. The head of marketing replied "We will take it under advisement." It seems that they are strongly considering a dub and i think many fans would be more than thankful if it went to NYAV.
Mu La Flaga

Or alternatively the Ocean Group which actually had good voices for Loran, Sochie and Gym.
At least in DW Gundam 2.
But either way, we shall see what happens.
Quiddity

The very long Gundam series have traditionally always been handled by Ocean in Canada, either through their main Westwood studio (Wing, MS Gundam, both SEEDs, 00) or their Calgary studio (G Gundam, Zeta), with the shorter ones being handled via American studios, typically based out of LA (all the UC OVAs, F91). One would think that for Turn A they'd stick with their usual practices and dub it out of Canada.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
TheCollegeD

Mu La Flaga wrote:Or alternatively the Ocean Group which actually had good voices for Loran, Sochie and Gym.
At least in DW Gundam 2.
Sochie is in DWG2??? 0_o btw
Symbolhime

TheCollegeD wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:Or alternatively the Ocean Group which actually had good voices for Loran, Sochie and Gym.
At least in DW Gundam 2.
Sochie is in DWG2??? 0_o btw
Uh, I don't think so. The only other one from Turn A is Diana, and she doesn't even have a VA.
What are the different strengths and needs of the European market? "I'm not certain; maybe football games?"
- Yoshiki Okamoto
NastyNate

This show will most likely go to subs only like the latest ep of Gundamn said but it will still be worth a buy.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mu La Flaga

My mistake, I thought the other Turn A character in the game was Sochie.
LightningCount

The Ocean Group (and Blue Water for that matter) are not bad in my opinion. For the most part, from what I've heard of Unicorn, I don't think its dub is exceedingly better in quality. I seriously hope Turn-A does get a dub, and I'd be fine with Ocean Group. Honestly, outside of a few occasional line/name flubs, Ocean Group has done a great job breathing English-speaking life into Gundam. I don't feel there's a single series they got horribly wrong. I mean, sometimes video games have gone and changed dub casts, and they sound worse than what was used in the series original English dub (IE: Heero and Domon's alternate DW VAs). But that's maybe just me.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Darkerangel

NastyNate wrote:This show will most likely go to subs only like the latest ep of Gundamn said but it will still be worth a buy.

My only "issue" with this is that all the other gundam shows including the newest stuff accept maybe 1 or 2 are all dubbed...soooo why sub now with only 4 left?
Mu La Flaga

Yeah I agree to that, I mean the Zeta movies they just didn't bother with because it's only 2-3 compilation movies.
In these other releases they are full on tv series with the smallest being Gundam X at 39 episodes.
mcred23

Darkerangel wrote:
NastyNate wrote:This show will most likely go to subs only like the latest ep of Gundamn said but it will still be worth a buy.

My only "issue" with this is that all the other gundam shows including the newest stuff accept maybe 1 or 2 are all dubbed...soooo why sub now with only 4 left?
IIRC, the only things that were not dubbed were the MSG* and Zeta compilation movies, and MS IGLOO. Everything else got a dub, so make of that what you will.

* On DVD. The VHS versions of the MSG movies used the infamous, older dub that was already around at the time.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Quiddity

LightningCount wrote:The Ocean Group (and Blue Water for that matter) are not bad in my opinion. For the most part, from what I've heard of Unicorn, I don't think its dub is exceedingly better in quality. I seriously hope Turn-A does get a dub, and I'd be fine with Ocean Group. Honestly, outside of a few occasional line/name flubs, Ocean Group has done a great job breathing English-speaking life into Gundam. I don't feel there's a single series they got horribly wrong. I mean, sometimes video games have gone and changed dub casts, and they sound worse than what was used in the series original English dub (IE: Heero and Domon's alternate DW VAs). But that's maybe just me.
Agreed. After the MS Gundam movie trilogy, which was handled rather poorly I think the dubs have been handled extremely well. The only complaints I've ever had is General Septum's insanely over the top voice in Gundam Wing, and the non-continuity of the VAs in Zeta with MS Gundam and CCA (which was due to union problems in Canada at the time). I'll be very dissappointed if Turn A doesn't get a dub.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.