The Official 00 Mecha Thread Mk XVI

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Newtype87

Re: The Official 00 Mecha Thread Mk XVI

According to info on Ngee Khiong, one of 00 Qan[T]'s features remains a secret. While part of me is not surprised, I am curious. Speculation on the little message thingy off to the side seems to revolve around either interactivity with the other Gundams or possibly an 0 Raiser-like backpack that balances it out. I kind of like the backpack idea (done properly, the unit could look a bit angelic), but from what we've seen of the model I'm not seeing any possible docking areas. Any thoughts?
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
speedstriker

An anon on /m/ suggested that the entire attachment could be swung around to its back and parts that replaces the old Raiser system can be attached after that. Seeing how bulky the other CB models are getting, I don't think it's out of the context for them pull a gimmick like that.

EDIT: I should add that I don't think CB is still willing to have it dock with a Raiser like system every time and it looks more like this is just the final step before they make a machine that fully integrate the features of Raiser system with a non-detachable addition. This may explain why there isn't any obvious docking points.

Since I'm here, I might as well bring up something that's been bothering me. Sorry if this has been brought up before, but the 00 Gundam 7S(/G) is based off of data from GN-XII Cannon and Sword, right? I checked around and the article about it in Gundam Wikia seems to confirm this, but I'd just like to make sure.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Homeless

Ngee is probably just referring to the shield opening up (As depicted on the boxart and in more recent model photos), or is simply wrong as he occasionally is.

The 007S's GN Buster Sword II is based off the Buster Sword stolen from a GN-XII Sword.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
speedstriker

That's all they took directly from the GN-XII's weapon systems? The entire concept/design just look so similar I'd be surprised if CB simply took one look at the two models and decided to give the 00 a similar. Even the way it's mounted is exactly the same! GN Sword II Blaster and Buster Sword system looks almost like exact copies of GN Beam Cannons and GN Buster Sword.

How did Ian get his hands on the GN-XII? Was it just some scrap that Fon brought back?

It's interesting to see a backflow of developmental influence considering how the Federation have only recently familiarized themselves with the technology.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
minovskycore_0180er
Location: Orb Union - Prototype Astray Spammer Unit Test Pilot

The Gundam 00 Quan[T] shields? GN Fangs in form of GN swrd?

This is a question about the Gundam 00 Quan[T] shield. When it disassembles, it's edges are quite similar to that of the Exia REII's GN Sword Kai. Do they function in the same way as the Zwei's, Arche, and Reborn Gundam's GN Fangs, but instead of inducing a particles based attack they relay a physical attack on an enemy? Also, can they be used a hand based armaments in the event of damage or destruction of the Quan[T]'s main sword?
"... there comes a time in every persons life, when they must roll the dice and accept the outcome...."

" Gundam F91, launching!"- Seabook Arno
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Re: The Gundam 00 Quan[T] shields? GN Fangs in form of GN swrd?

minovskycore_0180er wrote:Also, can they be used a hand based armaments in the event of damage or destruction of the Quan[T]'s main sword?
probably, though my only basis for that is how the virtue's normally mounted shoulder cannons could be hand held and as far as I can remember that's the only CB gundam weapon that could fit that type of scenario
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Arsarcana

Re: The Gundam 00 Quan[T] shields? GN Fangs in form of GN swrd?

We have a dedicated thread for 00-related discussions you know.

Anyway, think of the Sword Bits as Fangs that only work melee (like Gaddess'). We know at least one pair has beam guns of some sort included but we don't know if they're meant to be used while the things are detached or just when combined with the sword. The Bits were originally designed to be handheld (they had visible grips) but the redesign seems to have eliminated that feature. Just because one CB weapon could be wielded two ways doesn't mean others can, especially since the Sword Bits are meant to be operated remotely.
SonicSP

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/herrickwok/a ... ction=next

Scans of the HG00Q manual can be found here, so the manual can be translated directly now for those aboard up to it. (then again maybe not,its pretty blurry)

Speaking of which, from what we can make out of the manual visually, it is hinted that the the GN Drives are located on the backpack and below the shield respectively. Exhibit labeled 4 which is for the Twin Drive System has two pictures of the backpack and below the shield cylindrical object right next to the text.

The one in the main picture part with the "4. Twin Drive System" just draws a line to the backpack though.

Also would like to draw attention to the exhibit 14(2) and 14(3) in the assembly section. It seems that the cylindrical object of the shield can connect or touch the other "circle backpack object". More argument for the backpack/shield Drive combo then? Or just a connecting device to the backpack Drive?

My my this thing manual is visually thought seductive I must say, cannot wait for the text translation.

-------------------------------------------
speedstriker wrote:That's all they took directly from the GN-XII's weapon systems? The entire concept/design just look so similar I'd be surprised if CB simply took one look at the two models and decided to give the 00 a similar. Even the way it's mounted is exactly the same! GN Sword II Blaster and Buster Sword system looks almost like exact copies of GN Beam Cannons and GN Buster Sword. 

How did Ian get his hands on the GN-XII? Was it just some scrap that Fon brought back?

It's interesting to see a backflow of developmental influence considering how the Federation have only recently familiarized themselves with the technology.
CB didn't get the actual Buster Sword IIRC, but they got
the schematics of it from an insider contact that Ian had.

CB added a lot of things on their Buster Sword II though, including a GN Field generator that can deploy the field over long distances.
minovskycore_0180er wrote:This is a question about the Gundam 00 Quan[T] shield. When it disassembles, it's edges are quite similar to that of the Exia REII's GN Sword Kai. Do they function in the same way as the Zwei's, Arche, and Reborn Gundam's GN Fangs, but instead of inducing a particles based attack they relay a physical attack on an enemy? Also, can they be used a hand based armaments in the event of damage or destruction of the Quan[T]'s main sword?
We will have to see what the HG 00Q manuals says about it, if it is indeed possible.

But my personal theory is yes they can be used. In the event that the main GN Sword V is destroyed, then 00Q will have nothing to defend itself with, as in its body self. It would still need to deflect and parry attacks and whatnot. And I'm guessing that power of the blade will be stronger when 00Q wield it since it can directly connect to the 00Q's powerful particle supply, not to mention the increased thrust that the 00Q hands could theoretically exhibit while actually slashing since a melee suit like 00Q would have had such powerful "muscle" power in the first place. It may not be ideal but it would be a good configuration to fall into in case something happens to the main GN Sword or of Setsuna goes into a dual wielding mode for whatever reason (maybe if he encounters a dual wielding enemy melee MS perhaps?).
Arsarcana wrote:Anyway, think of the Sword Bits as Fangs that only work melee (like Gaddess').
Hmmm..........speaking of which, it seems like almost all Fangs we've seen seems to have the ability to go melee as a beam saber, including Zwei, Gadess, Reborn's Small Fin Fangs (these are the ones potrayed). So I'm not exactly sure Gadess would be special despite its apparent name as IIRC it showed using ranged attacks as well, in some sense like every other Fang out there.
Last edited by SonicSP on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShadowCell

minovskycore_0180er's thread has been merged here.

carry on.
Arvis Taljik

On a side note regarding the changes made to the Ptolemaios II Kai, did anyone else notice that all of the missile launchers (above and below the engines, forward of the GN turrets, and on the lower pod just aft of the torpedo tubes) have been removed?

Applicable Line-Art Image
SonicSP

Does anybody have a lineart pic of the normal Ptolemaios II, for comparison purposes?

And no, I did not notice the differences before you pointed it out, I'm bad at memorising ship differences for some reason >__>.

But maybe a side by side lineart comparison would help if we had one?
Majin Tenshi

Arvis Taljik wrote:On a side note regarding the changes made to the Ptolemaios II Kai, did anyone else notice that all of the missile launchers have been removed?
Where do you think Zabanya's came from?

Since CB is short on funds, they might want to dedicate Ptolemaios' missile budget elsewhere and simply sealed the ports over while repairing.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if there is no in-universe explanation and they simply decided they didn't want to draw the ports anymore.
Newtype87

SonicSP wrote:Does anybody have a lineart pic of the normal Ptolemaios II, for comparison purposes?
Sure do!
http://a.imageshack.us/img838/6571/cbs7 ... iosii1.png
http://a.imageshack.us/img688/4595/cbs7 ... iosii2.png
http://a.imageshack.us/img706/9194/cbs7 ... iosii3.png

Hm. Interesting observation. I can see two reasons (actually, three) for why the missiles are, well, missing: 1) CB's poor finances means that they can't afford missiles anymore so they removed them and replaced them with GN condensers for the cannons and other systems, 2) the upgraded Ptolemy II Kai has better armor that is covering the launcher tubes until they're needed, or 3) the artists forgot to draw them. The Ptolemy II does look a bit different besides the launchers now.

EDIT:
Majin Tenshi wrote:On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if there is no in-universe explanation and they simply decided they didn't want to draw the ports anymore.
I'd say that that's not a good argument, since the Ptolemy II is CGI and they don't have to redraw it for every frame.
SonicSP

*puts up hand in shame*

Can somebody point me to where the Missiles launchers are?

When I said I was bad at visually analyzing and remembering ships............I was not kidding in the slightest. Other than the boosters added, I still cannot notice where the differences are.
Last edited by SonicSP on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newtype87

SonicSP wrote:*puts up hand in shame*

Can somebody point me to where the Missle launchers are?

When I said I was bad at visually analyzing and remembering ships............I was not kidding in the slightest. Other than the boosters added, I still cannot notice where the differences are.
Okay, see where the tiny little squares are on the keel-like structure between the two lower hanger bays? And the tiny squares on the top and bottom of the engines? And the three little ports above and below the front wing blades? Those are the missile launchers. I think I got 'em all.
SonicSP

Thanks, I think I see the difference now.

Hmmm.........maybe because of further improve in compression technology (lol, GN Moore's Law) and the financial difficulties they decided to make Ptolemaios more beam based and allocated all their afforded missiles onto Zabanya and Harute? That suggested idea sounds interesting to me.

Either that or their hidden underneath for some reason or moved to a location less obvious or change in firing method/mechanism.

It is however good to see that the Ptolemaios may be more different than we originally though other than added boosters, perhaps the way it fights may change a bit as well.
Arvis Taljik

Well if removed missiles = more condensers = more powerful GN Field = invincible ship... I think CB recruiting Patrick Colasour would have been cheaper in the long run. If he's on board, there'd be no way the Ptolemy could be destroyed. :D

But in all seriousness, it could also have been artist neglect, especially if you take into consideration that the Ptolemy is only hand drawn when seen from a distance while all close shots are of the CG model.

However, I like the added GN Condenser idea. At least then maybe Trans-Am won't leave the ship a total sitting duck after Trans-Am time expires (also brings up the idea that they should just de-activate Trans-Am 30 seconds before the limit so they aren't all out of particles... but I'm not a tactical forecaster or anything right?).
Arsarcana

Nah, Patrick's apparently near-supernatural ability to survive things that should have killed him would probably result in him being ejected from the Ptolemy in a sealed compartment (via million to one luck) as the ship explodes. Plus, recruiting him would mean getting his wife involved and she might not take kindly to Patrick working for the people she wants to hunt down. Can you say couch duty?

But being serious, I think in most (all?) the situations where the ship went Trans Am they needed to remain in as long as possible so turning it off early to save particles wasn't an option. The idea of a dedicated condenser on the ship for post-Trans Am power's not a bad idea though, assuming CB has figured out the trick that Tau units use*. IIRC, the original Drives drain everything in Trans Am unless the system is shut off early. Might be a good way to speed up the recharging of the Gundam whose Drive provided the Trans Am too, if it needs to launch in a hurry. Then again, this is all speculation.

* Was it the Innovades or Billy whose TA Tau Drives leave a reserve supply of particles for the unit to limp back home with because TA wrecks the Drive?
blind_dead_mcjones

on the subject of omitted equipment anyone else notice the complete absence of beam sabres on the CB gundams?
Flag Fighter for life!
Arsarcana

Well, 00Q doesn't need them since it's got plenty of other weapons (notice how Setsuna only used the things twice when piloting 00 Raiser?) and Zabanya has the physical blades to fill that role. Dynames only used its sabers once and that was an emergency, hence the Cherudim ditching the near-useless things and adding a melee option to the GN Pistol II, which Zabanya has inherited.

However, saying that none of the CB suits have sabers is pretty silly since we don't know nearly as much about Harute or Raphael yet. Now, Harute dropping them wouldn't be too shocking since it's got the condenser blades on the rifles and Al was never much for sabers either but Raphael... yeah, you remember Tieria's last suit? He's probably got sabers somewhere in there, perhaps in those things at the elbows where the GNZ suits had the GN Cutters if nowhere else.