Another Century's Episode R

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Bright Noa

Re: Another Century's Episode R

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Edit: Sorry 'bout that. Now I have to wonder how would Bonta-Kun work exactly? :? It's about what 8 or 8.5 feet?
You call in Astionage Mendoz. This man has put EVAs and Megadeuces into space. Arm Slaves and Bonta-Kun should be a breeze.
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
halo1000

It'll probably be similar to the Gatchko from Overman King Gainer in ACE 3, that unit was only like 12 foot tall or something.
AmuroNT1

Apparently there was some information on the series posted to 2ch. Not sure how accurate the source is, but it doesn't make as many wild claims as other such info sources, so who knows?
1. Banpresto said A.C.E.3 wasn't a real finale due to the surprising fan demand for a sequel

2. The gameplay follows Armored Core's "style", a keyword for the A.C.E. series.

3. BP didn't develop the game for the X-Box 360 due to piracy concerns, feeling that the PS3 was safer.

4. The game could have come out in 2009, but the makers really wanted Macross Frontier, and already had a deal with the show's makers.

5. The focus of R's development included giving it sharper graphics than 2 and 3.

6. It takes about 2-3 months to make a single unit.

7. FMP, Geass and Destiny were planned to be in from the start.

8. Excluding programmers, A.C.E.R's graphics are done by 45 people, divided into teams of 3 or 4.

9. The original plan was to have 20 series, but that would have taken too long.

10. Release date is Summer 2010.

Comments on specific mecha/series:

1. Bonta-kun is the smallest mecha in the A.C.E. series, and Banpresto had concerns that people wouldn't take it seriously.

2. Bonta-kun, originally appears in Fumoffu?, but BP decided to go with the original FMP to avoid story concerns as with Wings of Rean and Turn A.

3. Originally they wanted to make Four Murasame and the Psyco Gundam Zeta's third unit, but there were concners about game balance and lack of abilities, so they went with the Dijeh instead.

4. Crossbone has never been animated, but there are rumors it might see TV in 2011 if Tomino goes along with the idea.

5. Macross 7 was the first series considered for A.C.E.R, but attacking with music didn't make sense to the game's makers, so they passed on 7 and went with Zero and Frontier.

6. Gainer was incredibly popular in A.C.E.3, which is why it's back in R.

7. The staff wanted to include the "classic" Macross version of Roy Focker rather than the Zero version.

8. Geass R2 was chosen over the first season because of character development and mecha design.

9. Aquarion is the third Super Robot series in A.C.E., after Shin Change Getter Robo and G Gundam.

The Rules of A.C.E. Mecha Series:

1. The original idea was only for Real Robots to appear, but fan demand got G Gundam in, and Shin Getter was added because of its "demonic look".

2. A.C.E. is not supposed to include Supers, but there are exceptions:
- Getter Robo, Aquarion and G Gundam worked because their stories affected other shows like Eureka 7 and Gainer, which have similar enemies but a Real Robot setting.
-Supers like Daitarn 3 are out, because:
* The storyline has to be suitable for A.C.E.; nothing too silly that will affect the overall plot, which the staff is trying to make more like Super Robot Wars.
* Combattler, Voltes, and other Super Sentai-like mecha are out because the developers think it'll make the game look childish.
* A list of Super Robot shows considered but ultimately rejected:

-Daitarn 3
-J7 Trilogy (Braiger, Sasuraiger, Baxinger)
-Iron Leaguer
-Jushin Liger
-Daoija
-Zambot 3
-Baldios
-Trider G7
-Acrobunch
-Daltanius
-The Eldran franchise
-Goshogun
-The Nagahama Romance Trilogy (Combattler, Voltes, Daimos)
-Golion
-Godmars
-Gaiking
-Steel Jeeg
-Dendoh
-God Sigma
-Mechander Robo
-Raideen

* The qualifications to get a Super Robot into A.C.E.:
-The series must be famous and popular, like Gaogaigar or Tobikage.
-The characters need to fit into a modern (90s/2000s) storyline, even if they originated in the 70s or 80s.
-Hybrid-type mecha (like G Gundam) are more amenable.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
DuelGundam2099

4. Crossbone has never been animated, but there are rumors it might see TV in 2011 if Tomino goes along with the idea.
Wait, what? I really hope that's true because it is very rare to have something as awesome as pirate robots.

Anyway, nice find AmuroNT1.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

8. Geass R2 was chosen over the first season because of character development and mecha design.
On that mention, I'm a bit surprised they didn't put Gundam 00 in with CG R2. The time-skip between their two seasons kind of makes them go hand-in-hand. (despite the different lengths of their time-skips)

And yes, I saw the earlier-posted note about not talking about mechs you like not being here, but it deserves mentioning that the Gawain shall be missed. :( (assuming it isn't added in sometime later at the last second or something)

And I wonder who they're bringing in to voice Kincaid and Tobia. (and the other possible/inevitable Crossbone characters that will be in ACE R such as Bera Rona/Cecily and maybe Zabine) Maybe their SRW Alpha 2/original F-91 VAs.
AceWhatever

I'm thinking that around #4 on the second list is where the claims start going wild. Crossbone anime and Macross 7 being considered?....eh.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

AceWhatever wrote:I'm thinking that around #4 on the second list is where the claims start going wild. Crossbone anime and Macross 7 being considered?....eh.
The Crossbone anime is a pretty iffy, yeah, especially after all this time since the manga ended. But I could see Macross 7 being considered for A.C.E. and eventually turned down.
AmuroNT1

Crossbone is pretty popular, and I think a case could be made for its being the most popular Gundam spinoff manga, so an anime isn't out of the question. But of course, the timing is kind of odd and again I'm not sure how truthful these statements are, so who knows?

As for the vocal cast, Bandai has pretty much cemented Crossbone's cast over the course of its many video game appearances - the F91 characters use their original VAs, while Tobia is played by Kappei Yamaguchi.

(And yeah, I'll miss the Gawain too, but I'll live.)
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Arsarcana

Eh, while animated Crossbone does sound like a wild claim, assuming it's true it's not really as crazy as it sounds. It's a sequel/spinoff to the Gundam series that never was (ie F91), provides some closure that the characters and story desperately needed, has cool mecha, a good story and it was popular enough to get two followup manga. The last finished about two years ago so it's not like it's been out of sight and mind for all that long. Plus, it's appeared with some regularity in G Generation and even showed up in SRW @2. If they were to pick one Gundam manga to animate, it would definitely be Crossbone.

As for the list of Super shows they considered, if one of the criteria they looked at was seriousness, how did Iron Leaguer even get on the list?
DuelGundam2099

As for the list of Super shows they considered, if one of the criteria they looked at was seriousness, how did Iron Leaguer even get on the list?
Or the Eldoran series for that matter because I've seen their OPs and they look really childish; but I guess that's what Super Robot Wars NEO is for. Steel Jeeg I could actually picture if changing his parts did not take very long, but that's just me.
AmuroNT1

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4151/352060.jpg

A little new info...
-Pilots can be swapped between units; will probably be universe-based since the image shows Kincaid as a potential pilot for the Hyaku-Shiki.
-Charge and Burst weapons; Charge will be like in past ACE games, not sure on Burst.
-Product codes will allow players to unlock the Zeta Gundam Unit 3 (Amuro's Zeta).
-Release date: August 19th.

Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

So....

What are the odds for someone who imports the game to get such a product code?? >,>;
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
AmuroNT1

Wish I could say, my Japanese skills aren't that good.

Sulendil Zeta

The product code is included in the initial release bunch of ACE:R, so if you managed to pre-order the game, you will get it. :)

In other word, yes, this code is not just for Japan release. YEAH!!!
abrahamsen0

Anybody know of the best site to pre-order at? I know of play-asia but that's the only one. Any one have any recommendations. And I thought it was supposed to be a summer release.
halo1000

Since I don't own a Ps3 at the moment maybe you guys can give me some advice. I've been considering getting one anyways just to jump on the whole "blu-ray" wagon, but ACE:R has made me want to get one for definate now. Does the Ps3 have a region lock-out system that would need to be bypassed like the Ps2 or is it just up to the developers to make the games with region coding?
AmuroNT1

Blu-ray has an entirely different region coding setup from DVD. America and Japan are both in Region A, so all one needs to do is import the game - no illegal modifications required.

ZeroBusterXX

What Amuro said. Plus, most Blu-Ray games aren't even region-locked to begin with. So it wouldn't matter if you lived in the same region or not most of the time.

Just noticed your sig too Amuro. Nice.
AmuroNT1

What can I say? The Boss was awesome.

A friend pointed out that Bandai Namco didn't even bother making separate codes for the alternate costume unlocks in .hack//LINK, meaning that more than likely ACE:R will just have one code to unlock the Zeta Unit 3 with the pre-order, and some enterprising individual will post the code online, rendering the whole promotion moot.

Another friend observed that while the list there mentioned Gaiking and Jeeg, it specified the originals while saying nothing of Legend of Daiku-Maryuu and Kotetsushin...

EDIT: The official site has updated with info on the Zeta Unit 3, as well as the price: a whopping 8379 yen, about $91US.

AmuroNT1

A little more info...

-Chase Mode: At certain points, the game will go into a sort of rail shooter-type mode where the player has a degree of camera control. This is mandated by the game and usually segues into an event or boss battle.

-Weapon Panel: Each mecha will have up to five panels of weapons, three each, meaning a grand total of 15 weapons maximum.

-Tension Gauge: Sort of a super meter gauge that builds up as you do damage and lets you unleash big attacks, like Aquarion's Mugen Punch.

Also worth noting, apparently Aquarion will get all its alternate pilots available for Pilot Change.