The Official SD Gundam Sangokuden Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
TakaTahuNuva

The Official SD Gundam Sangokuden Thread

Not exactly my cup of tea, but I guess every Gundam production needs a discussion topic, right? =P

The first episode aired yesterday. You can find some screenshots here. Here's a link to what appears to be the ending theme (yeah, that's the same song they used for the PV ages ago)

So what do you think? SD Gundam Force Take 2, or a return to the roots of the SD universe?
ohhhh snap
Ryujin

Re: SD Gundam Sangokuden Discussion Thread

I watched the RAW yesterday. Each episode is only 15 minutes long, apparently airing after Keroro Gunsou.

Technically, the animation is mostly 2D, with CGI usually reserved for the armoured characters. Characters wearing soft materials (clothes, robes, etc.), such as GM peasants get the traditional treatment. For some reason, the CGI characters aren't animated as smoothly as in SDGF--there's a certain jerkiness, as if the animators were skimping on in-between frames. The scenery is very well-rendered--some of the panoramic establishing shots are simply gorgeous--which gives the production a certain amount of gravitas in spite of its SD-ness.

The series, which is based on events from Ro3K, takes place in the country of Mirisha, with the first episode focusing on Ryuubi (Liu Bei) meeting with Kousunsan EZ-8 (Gongsun Zan) & Roshoku GM Cannon (Lu Zhi). Story-wise, the episode plays out with a degree of seriousness from the very start--no humor of the slapstick, physics-defying variety has been evident so far. It's a return to the roots of the SD universe in the sense that it's firmly a part of the Musha Gundam lineup.

And yes, the ED theme is the same as the PV's.

More details here, especially for those curious about the identities of the characters in the ED credits, since the show apparently draws heavily from the manga (assuming it isn't an outright adaptation in the first place): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BB_Senshi_Sangokuden.
Heecarl_Reez

Watched it yesterday, in RAW, with the result of little understanding...:mrgreen:

Well I can only say, I do like the art direction, the bright environment. But the CG movement is not smooth, I think it would be better if they didn't use the CG at all, and considering it is only 12 minutes show, they can do better. The ED theme is also using still images, it would be cool if there's animation in it, but I think it's rather okay.

BTW didnt this image reminded you of something?? :D
Deacon Blues

Aside from the fact that Liu Bei looks like the Destiny Gundam?
yazi88

Deacon Blues wrote:Aside from the fact that Liu Bei looks like the Destiny Gundam?
I'm not sure about that, some of mobile suits these characters that they are based off of don't look anything like them, for example in the ED of the show they show a black gundam running with his team who is actually based off of GP-01 even though his face looks more like Wing-Zero. Also the Chick robot on the far left of the GP-01 is actually based off of GP-04. Some are pretty easy to identify like Hyaku-Shiki and GP-02 but the Green one with the beard is based of ZZ.

Just to take a note off is that not all monoeyed characters are bad guys in the sangokuden universe cause I believe that each of the 3 main factions has at least 1 or more monoeyed characters like: Doven-Wolf for Ryuubi's group, Dijeh and Dom/Rick Dom II for GP-01 (or rather GP-03's group later on), Sazabi and Anavel Gato's Gelgoog for the red Gundam (Double X's character).
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

BTW didnt this image reminded you of something??
Gundam Evolve 14.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Heecarl_Reez

Ahhh good call, but given that Ryuubi is based on RX 78-2, I actually want to refer to this one. :wink:
unclle

after watching it looks really cool, i like how the characters are very much like there MS lol Diao Chan as the Qubeley, Liu Bu as Tallgeese and rofl Sima Yi as Sazabi (ok that one i don't understand)
Destiny_Gundam

Two eps in and it seems ok. No reason not to keep watching it. Though I'm not used to the original chinese spelling so I was confused at first as to who was who. But listening carefully they are pronounced the same way anyways. As such, I can equivicate them to their Ikkitousen and Koihime Musou counterparts ^^"

So does this mean the ZZ will fall in love with the RX-78-2?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Symbolhime

Who's the RX-78-2?
What are the different strengths and needs of the European market? "I'm not certain; maybe football games?"
- Yoshiki Okamoto
Heecarl_Reez

Ryuubi is the RX 78-2, Kanu is ZZ
As such, I can equivicate them to their Ikkitousen and Koihime Musou counterparts ^^"

So does this mean the ZZ will fall in love with the RX-78-2?
I don't know which anime this happened, but..definitely no :mrgreen: ..Brotherly love yes :P..
For love thing..
Spoiler
At the earlier plamo series manga, Shoukou is liking Ryuubi though.
Destiny_Gundam

Heecarl_Reez wrote:I don't know which anime this happened, but..definitely no :mrgreen: ..Brotherly love yes :P..
In Ikkitousen Kan'u is pretty blatantly lez for Ryuubi. Ryuubi is delightfully oblivious about it, though ^^"

But yeah, having never experienced the 'true' Romance of the Three Kingdoms, when new MS are introduced in this series, I'm going to immediately try to remember which busty/cute chick they correspond to.

Heck, in Koihime Musou the Yellow Turban rebellion was started by a bunch of idol singers using mind control magic. Maybe Meer's pink ZAKU will be their leader :lol:
Calubin_175

In terms of helmet design, with most characters being based off the samurai-esque Gundam head doesn't evoke dynasty period chinese armor at all, with the exception of the Gongsun Zan Ez-8 's antenna-less nature coupled with its head feather.
Destiny_Gundam

I was bored, so here's comparison images of the characters from from SD Gundam, Ikkitousen, and Koihime Musou.

Ryuubi
Kousonsan
Chouhi
Kan'u
Sousou
Sonken

You can really see the differences. Kinda amusing that Sousou is the only one who's male in another show.
VentZX

Saw episode 3 last night. I liked how the PMX brothers combined into a giant The-O. I was wondering how The-O would factor into things. I wasn't expecting it to be a combination of those three. Also, Liu Bei responding with his own semi gattai was pretty hilarious. Also, I liked how we got to see different armies joining up to fight together.

Also, holy crap I was having flashbacks to when I played Dynasty Warriors 2 back in the day (the last DW I played without Gundams in it) and the Yellow Turban Rebellion.

And now I'm thinking why weren't these designs included in DW: Gundam? Oh well.
Ryujin

I was hoping that Zhang Fei would strike the finishing blow, him being the Zeta & all...
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Heck, in Koihime Musou the Yellow Turban rebellion was started by a bunch of idol singers using mind control magic.
I found myself marathoning the first two seasons last weekend.
Spoiler
Feels good, man. Helped me get used to the Japanese pronounciations for the names, too.
Destiny_Gundam

Ryujin wrote:I found myself marathoning the first two seasons last weekend.
Spoiler
Feels good, man. Helped me get used to the Japanese pronounciations for the names, too.
Yeah, Koihime Musou is just some harmless fun. As far as the names go, though, I don't think I'll ever be able to remember the chinese spellings. At least the japanese way they're spelled the way they're pronounced. I know 'Sousou' is actually 'Cao Cao', but I keep seeing that and thinking 'cow cow.'

Anyways, I thought ep 3 was pretty cool. I found myself getting drawn in when Sousou and Sonken's troops started attacking. Showed this series is taking things fairly seriously.

Naturally I say 'fairly' for a reason. Once Ryuubi and the gang showed up, turned into some good old fashioned cheese. The O combination was pretty cool and Ryuubi's hyper mode was fairly neat, even if he did only get new shoulder pads.

Anyways, it's starting to show much more promise. I'm looking forward to more.

Once again, here are some character comparisons:

Sonsaku
Shuuyu
Sonken Bundai
Kakouton
Kakouen
Choukaku
Chouhou
Chouryou

I find it interesting that Kakouton from Koihime resembles Kakouen from Ikkitousen.
Destiny_Gundam

Episode four is out. It quickly covers Toutaku's rise to power and it has a pretty decent fight between Ryofu and Sousou. Not much else to say, really.

As usual, here is this week's batch of comparisons:

Ryofu
Toutaku
Shiba'i
Chou-sen
Ryujin

I find it quite entertaining that there are four adaptations of RTK this season, with one of them an actual, straight-up China-Japan co-produced adaptation of the novels (not to mention getting an invite for the Taiwan version of Koei's RTK mmorpg the other week).
Destiny_Gundam wrote:I know 'Sousou' is actually 'Cao Cao', but I keep seeing that and thinking 'cow cow.'
Yeah, it's one of the idiosyncrasies of the Pinyin romanization system since it's actually pronounced as 'Tsao Tsao.' No surprise that the first foreign translation of Sanguo Yanyi was in Japanese!
Zechs Merquise

Those other anime of RTK scare me.
Currently Playing:Super Robot Wars J
Currently Watching: Ideon