The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk II

Since the first thread hit 30 pages, you know how it goes. Knock yourselves out.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kratos

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk II

So is anybody else debating pre-ordering the Unicorn blu-ray? There's no guarantee it will be good, and it's only one episode...but it does look gorgeous, and there's been a fantastic precedent set for Gundam anniversary productions (G-Saviour notwithstanding).
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
UC fan

I think I'll just wait for the DVD, it's too costly for me, although the DVD might have the same price, that's why I want to know. I don't think DVD's cost that much do they?
Red Comet90

UC fan wrote:I think I'll just wait for the DVD, it's too costly for me, although the DVD might have the same price, that's why I want to know. I don't think DVD's cost that much do they?
If MS Igloo was any kind of indicator....then yes they are expensive in Japan. Lets hope things have changed since MS Igloo was released here.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Chris
Administrator

Kratos wrote:So is anybody else debating pre-ordering the Unicorn blu-ray? There's no guarantee it will be good, and it's only one episode...but it does look gorgeous, and there's been a fantastic precedent set for Gundam anniversary productions (G-Saviour notwithstanding).
I have the Blu-ray pre-ordered. Dropping $35 on a blind buy for something Gundam related isn't a big deal to me. I'm confident it will at least be entertaining, and it will probably be worth the money I spent on it.
pd771

Chris wrote:
Kratos wrote:So is anybody else debating pre-ordering the Unicorn blu-ray? There's no guarantee it will be good, and it's only one episode...but it does look gorgeous, and there's been a fantastic precedent set for Gundam anniversary productions (G-Saviour notwithstanding).
I have the Blu-ray pre-ordered. Dropping $35 on a blind buy for something Gundam related isn't a big deal to me. I'm confident it will at least be entertaining, and it will probably be worth the money I spent on it.
Same here. Even if the story turns out to not be the greatest (I haven't read the novels), it looks gorgeous and the animation seems very fluid. That enough made me want it right away. Though I can see myself not picking up the second OVA if the story bores me.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
JQuilty

I ordered it basically for the same reasons Chris did. Besides, even if it does turn out to be a stinker, it'll be streamed online anyways.
Kenji

I wasn't going to preorder it, but the price drop Amazon is offering is too good to ignore. $50 is hard to swallow for a Blu-Ray, especially one that only clocks an hour, but $35 feels more reasonable.

Besides, if MS Igloo is any indication, there won't be a price drop in the future. If anything, prices will only go up.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Kratos

Huh. I'm seeing it as $44.99 on Amazon. Where's this $35 one you guys are seeing?
Chris
Administrator

Kratos wrote:Huh. I'm seeing it as $44.99 on Amazon. Where's this $35 one you guys are seeing?
You're too late. That was the price last week when it was first unveiled. I didn't expect that it would go up so much and so quickly.
LightningCount

I have this weird hangup about Unicorn, wondering if someone can answer this question without big spoilers:
Spoiler
I've heard that Full Frontal is Char himself, so that's already spoiled. But, is there a good/realistic explanation given within the source novels of this upcoming OVA as to how Char survived the end of Char's Counterattack? Because CC was specifically about ending the Amuro/Char story...but if Char actually survived, that kind of means he beat Amuro and breaks the stalemate ending. Plus, it brings to mind the many cringe-worthy survival stories of Cosmic Era (I mean, I love Mu and Neo, but the sacrifice to the story for that is questionable). So, is Char = Full Frontal another case of recon or borderline recon for the fan coolness factor? And moreover, if it is, has that bothered anyone? Or is everyone just happy to have Char back?
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Kratos

LightningCount wrote:I have this weird hangup about Unicorn, wondering if someone can answer this question without big spoilers:
Spoiler
I've heard that Full Frontal is Char himself, so that's already spoiled. But, is there a good/realistic explanation given within the source novels of this upcoming OVA as to how Char survived the end of Char's Counterattack? Because CC was specifically about ending the Amuro/Char story...but if Char actually survived, that kind of means he beat Amuro and breaks the stalemate ending. Plus, it brings to mind the many cringe-worthy survival stories of Cosmic Era (I mean, I love Mu and Neo, but the sacrifice to the story for that is questionable). So, is Char = Full Frontal another case of recon or borderline recon for the fan coolness factor? And moreover, if it is, has that bothered anyone? Or is everyone just happy to have Char back?
Spoiler
From what I understand, he isn't Char. He's a cyber-Newtype implanted with the memories and personality (or something) that were implanted in the Psycoframe of one of Char's MS, and then genetically altered to resemble Char, for whatever reason. This is secondhand information, mind you, so the specifics are questionable.
LightningCount

Kratos wrote:
Spoiler
From what I understand, he isn't Char. He's a cyber-Newtype implanted with the memories and personality (or something) that were implanted in the Psycoframe of one of Char's MS, and then genetically altered to resemble Char, for whatever reason. This is secondhand information, mind you, so the specifics are questionable.
OK. Thanks. If true, that's not so bad.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
blind_dead_mcjones

another trailer for Gundam UC released, unfortunately i can't get the thing to play so screenshots from Ngee Khiong are going to have to suffice for now

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... shots.html
Flag Fighter for life!
Kyuzo Aoi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85EV2goqDx8

Gundam Unicorn theme. By Chiaki Kuriyama. Yes, that's Gogo Yubari...

Played it about twenty times... :)
I am a Gundam!
Kratos

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:another trailer for Gundam UC released, unfortunately i can't get the thing to play so screenshots from Ngee Khiong are going to have to suffice for now

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... shots.html
Man, the characters are so beautifully animated, I'm always disappointed when there's mecha action. Though I suppose that's pretty beautifully animated, too, and it does look like there's new meca footage. Shame I can't view it.
VentZX

Chris wrote:
Kratos wrote:Huh. I'm seeing it as $44.99 on Amazon. Where's this $35 one you guys are seeing?
You're too late. That was the price last week when it was first unveiled. I didn't expect that it would go up so much and so quickly.
Oh man, I'm glad I pre-ordered when I got the chance. I did it immediately when i saw it was $35 down from $50. But yeah, I just saw the newest PV, and oh yes, it will SO be worth it on Blu Ray.

The trailer is on NicoNico. Check it out if you've got an account. The Stark Jegan vs Kyshatriya fight looks amazing, and all the other MS look pretty sweet too. Also, it's nice to see a shot of the Unicorn Gundam in motion that isn't the same transformation we've seen in the past trailers.
TakaTahuNuva

VentZX wrote:The trailer is on NicoNico. Check it out if you've got an account.
Oh my god. That was... beautiful.

I... can't really say anything else... here's hoping it'll be as good as the trailers make it out to be!
ohhhh snap
Wingnut

And for those without a Nico account, you can use this link to view the trailer.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Thank you for that, Wingnut.
Awesome trailer, especially the new footage of the ReZELs and The Stark Jegan's beam saber.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."