Ring of Gundam

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Imperial

Ring of Gundam

Tomino and Kanno return to the Universal Century

It sounds like it could be pretty cool, although I think we're in danger of a Gundam overload between 00, its upcoming movie, the 0081 video game, that new 0084 project, Andrew WK's Gundam Rock CD, and Unicorn on top of this. It's also likely we'll get more IGLOO 2, if the first, Zeon-focused IGLOO is any indication. That's not to say more Gundam is a bad thing, but they're going to burn themselves out with the anniversary blitz.

Either way, I'm intensely interested in how Tomino is going to spin this. With how much he has changed since mostly leaving the franchise (and how off-beat stuff like Turn A Gundam and Evolve 5 were), I can only take shots in the dark.
Last edited by Imperial on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent
Kavik Ryx

Re: Ring of Gundam

0084? Am I missing out on something here?

But yeah. Ring of Gundam does sounds pretty fascinating.
Imperial

Kavik Ryx wrote:0084? Am I missing out on something here?

But yeah. Ring of Gundam does sounds pretty fascinating.
Hiding in plain sight on the front page
This space for rent
Deus257

A new era wow finally a proper conclusion to the UC calendar, I'm suprised that the Fed is still around, well I shouldn't be since in victory the new Federation capital is on the moon so it makes sense that the ring is in lunar orbit, I guess the feds got a strong second wind after victory.
Ryvius

Just when we've finally settled the mystery behind Unicorn's format... we have this now, great! lol...

It's a little weird though because the article only mentions studio "Robot", not Sunrise at all. Are they allowing Tomino to take Gundam elsewhere, or?

And man, he sure does like Yoko Kanno's work. They've teamed up several times in the past, guess I can't blame him either. Also looks like the main character could finally be female, something I think Tomino's wanted for a long time.

Hopefully it's not just a short and maybe more than a movie. Guess we'll just have to wait and see... again. This honestly caught me by surprise though, I thought for sure with all the articles we've seen by Tomino over the years, he wasn't going to really return to doing more Gundam. But I imagine if this is somehow out of Sunrise' reach, maybe that explains it?
Kavik Ryx

I think they basically let Tomino do whatever he wants now. The general lack of meddling in Turn A Gundam is probably akin to that.
Imperial

Ryvius wrote:And man, he sure does like Yoko Kanno's work. They've teamed up several times in the past, guess I can't blame him either. Also looks like the main character could finally be female, something I think Tomino's wanted for a long time.

Hopefully it's not just a short and maybe more than a movie. Guess we'll just have to wait and see... again. This honestly caught me by surprise though, I thought for sure with all the articles we've seen by Tomino over the years, he wasn't going to really return to doing more Gundam. But I imagine if this is somehow out of Sunrise' reach, maybe that explains it?
From what little we know, it looks like this Eiji character is the main character. Last I checked, Eiji was a masculine name. Either way, I'm still not certain why so many people jump at the possibility of a female Gundam lead. The lead's gender is not going to change the production in any meaningful way.

Whatever the case, perhaps Sunrise is willing to play hands-off with Tomino as long as he doesn't wreck the cash cow. With the exception of A New Translation, he's been kept off the reservation, with spin-offs like Evolve 5 or something only vaguely related to the Universal Century (see: Turn A Gundam). With Ring presumably being set far into the future, it shouldn't interfere with the brunt of the calendar.

Alternatively, it could be a case of Tomino caring so little for his old ideas that he wants to move as far away from the One Year Grind as possible.
This space for rent
Amadi Akintunde

Universal Century Overload indeed. If Tomino's doing this thing, I'll be interested indeed. The 30th Anniversary is sure picking up.

Even more interested to be meeting him at the New York Anime Festival.
TakaTahuNuva

Imperial wrote:
Ryvius wrote:And man, he sure does like Yoko Kanno's work. They've teamed up several times in the past, guess I can't blame him either. Also looks like the main character could finally be female, something I think Tomino's wanted for a long time.

From what little we know, it looks like this Eiji character is the main character. Last I checked, Eiji was a masculine name. Either way, I'm still not certain why so many people jump at the possibility of a female Gundam lead. The lead's gender is not going to change the production in any meaningful way.
It's gonna be a male lead. The article even mentions actor Daijirō Kawaoka (who KR viewers might recognize as TheBee/Kabuto in Decade).

Anyway this Halo spinoff sounds interesting, I wonder what Bungie will think of next...
ohhhh snap
ZeroBusterXX

TakaTahuNuva wrote:
Imperial wrote:

It's gonna be a male lead. The article even mentions actor Daijirō Kawaoka (who KR viewers might recognize as TheBee/Kabuto in Decade).

Anyway this Halo spinoff sounds interesting, I wonder what Bungie will think of next...
Man, TheBee, TheBee, TheBee!! Why do I keep finding (and making) references to that Rider all day today!?

I am so happy we get some Tomino Gundam though. I know it's just a short, but still. It's just the principle of it.
Duraham

so after such a long time, they finally managed to find the abandoned core fighter?
Strike Wing

Awesome, even Hirata Yuka (Mele in Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger) is voicing a character, sounds good to me. 8)
"Ore ga...! Ore-tachi ga... -GUNDAM DA!!!!"
South Burning

Remember that, regardless of how we feel about it, whatever Tomino does is for HIS artistic gratification. And when you're an artist you are frequently driven to create a work as if it has a life of its own as is not entirely your own doing. If it's Tomino/Gundam I say bring it on!
thanatos

From the ANN article:
An Earth Federation Forces member named Eiji discovers an object called "Beauty Memory" buried in a high-altitude, massive rockbed on Earth.
The keywords of the story are "Amuro's memories."
Was anyone else immediately reminded of Brain Powerd when they read that?
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
T.V.

I am reminded of that T-shaped Psycoframe piece from CCA, it being the supposed vessel of Amuro's memories, to be more precisely.

Though out-of-universe, I wouldn't be suprised if Tomino will also be recycling ideas from previous (non-Gundam) series he directed in the past. ;)
darkhunger

The Ring of Gundam short shown at the expo is up at Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5G5cwN9N4
Amadi Akintunde

I have no idea what just happened or what anyone there said, but I must say it was beautiful. Those new Mobile Suit designs looked awesome; especially the one that had the closeup with the 'Ring of Gundam' title over it.
Imperial

Those machines tangling with the Gundam looked a bit like mechanical Aura Battlers. Coupled with the mysticism surrounding the blond woman, I bet Ring of Gundam will feel less like 0079 and more like Gundam run through a Dunbine or Brain Powered filter.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
This space for rent
Symbolhime

Wow, so that was it?
What are the different strengths and needs of the European market? "I'm not certain; maybe football games?"
- Yoshiki Okamoto
Amadi Akintunde

Symbolhime wrote:Wow, so that was it?
It's a short, not a movie or series.