(What if) A Gundam series with aliens?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Resident of GMT-5

(What if) A Gundam series with aliens?

I would like to ask everyone's opinion on Gundam series with aliens. To be more specific, these "aliens" i'm talking about would be more "Vajra (Macross F)" and "Blue (Blue Gender)" -ish, not the "Zentradi" ones.

I hope this thread isn't breaking the rules. Though if it is, please lock it, moderator. Thanks.
Gadget

Re: (What if) A Gundam series with aliens?

I think this topic has came up a few times. Basically, Gundam is about war human fighting against human. May it be open war (MSG), a round robin fight (G), terrorist type attack (00 and W) or during anarchy (X). IT's about humans.
The closest thing about aliens are the Space Whales mentioned in Seed.
Brave Fencer Kirby

Yeah, one of the few standards across every Gundam series is a distinct lack of aliens. It sort of misses the point; Gundam's always been about the differences between human beings, and the future of the human race. (One of the reasons the ending of Gundam 00 was sort of wonky in my opinion was the fact that they started talking about running into aliens.) Adding in aliens would just seem to miss the "feel" of Gundam -- it'd be like adding giant robots to DBZ or something. It just doesn't fit.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Oruma

In that case, what about human aliens (Like Cylon in the remake Galactica)?
Or a more distant version of Moonrace? Do you think that'd work?
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
ShadowCell

Why call them aliens, then?
thanatos

I, for one, appreciate Gundam for its distinct lack of aliens. If you want some aliens with your mecha they've got plenty of that. It's called Macross.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
AceWhatever

I think the people who keep asking for a Gundam show with non-human aliens aren't looking at the big picture. What's so special about this compared to other alien-themed RR shows? It's not like that'll require drastically different mobile suit designs for one thing, and judging from the examples the TC wants the aliens simply as a somewhat mindless entity that only exists to be blown away in massive firefights.
Kuruni

Oruma wrote:In that case, what about human aliens (Like Cylon in the remake Galactica)?
Or a more distant version of Moonrace? Do you think that'd work?
You must mean those who leave Earth in Turn A's background story. Somehow I feel that they should be left unseen. It's such "myth" appeal that made Turn A charm.

But for brand new race. No, all gundam fan known humanoid alien won't work. Frog alien, however, is worth seeing.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Gadget

Kuruni wrote: Frog alien, however, is worth seeing.
Huhhh??

A side track issue...

Macross isn't just about aliens. It's a combination of aliens, music and love triangle. :wink:

A recurrent topic in Gundam is the effects of war. And there is also a battle of different governmental philosophy or racial superiority.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Don't know how I'd think of a Gundam with aliens. I believe one of the things that make Gundam interesting is that there are no aliens. I think there are enough mecha shows with aliens as the enemy.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Gundam Enzyklopadist

A Gundam series with Aliens? No way, since it is a human war drama, where humans fight humans.

Gundam has his way & Macross has his way - that is the truth!

-- Henning
MrMarch

Gundam could work with aliens, but the aliens would have to be written in such a way where they become involved in a human civil conflict. Something like Iain M. Bank's novel Look to Windward.

Just something to note, technically Macross never had aliens until Macross 7. Zentradi and Humans are nearly identical genetically and both have the same ancestors. Ergo, they were not aliens since they were basically the same species, enough so that human laws and human rights were bestowed upon the Zentradi by default. Of course, the Protodeviln of Macross 7 and the Vajra of Macross Frontier are about as alien as it gets. But SDF Macross was not originally about aliens at all.
azrael

I've always seen Gundam as humans taking on human issues. No one knows human issues better than humans. And 99.99999999...% of the audience is human so it definitely appeals to the audience.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Resident of GMT-5

azrael wrote:I've always seen Gundam as humans taking on human issues. No one knows human issues better than humans. And 99.99999999...% of the audience is human so it definitely appeals to the audience.
Hahahahah, and what about the other 0,000000....1%?
AceWhatever wrote:I think the people who keep asking for a Gundam show with non-human aliens aren't looking at the big picture. What's so special about this compared to other alien-themed RR shows? It's not like that'll require drastically different mobile suit designs for one thing, and judging from the examples the TC wants the aliens simply as a somewhat mindless entity that only exists to be blown away in massive firefights.
No, I'm not asking "those guys" to make a Gundam series with aliens, i just want to ask everyone's opinion on it if it was made, thus the (What if) in the title.

Blown away in a massive firefights, huh... I guess you gotta point there. But you know, intelligent aliens will probably be a poor subtitute for a human army, so yeah.
VentZX

Resident of GMT-5 wrote:
azrael wrote:I've always seen Gundam as humans taking on human issues. No one knows human issues better than humans. And 99.99999999...% of the audience is human so it definitely appeals to the audience.
Mathematically speaking, 0.9999... (where ... indicates it's repeating endlessly) is exactly equal to 1, so saying 99.999...% is the same as saying 100%. (1/3=0.33...; 0.33...x3=.99... therefore, .99...=1)

Anyway, it would certainly be interesting to see aliens implemented into a Gundam series, but it would have to be done right. For example, G Gundam is, on the surface, a huge departure from other Gundam shows, but when you get deeper into the show, you find that it is built on the fundamentals of what makes a Gundam show Gundam. That said, I don't know how exactly they'd go about doing it. 00 keeps hinting at "dialogues to come" and if that refers to aliens, well...I'll wait to see how it's handled.
Dean_the_Young

VentZX wrote:
Resident of GMT-5 wrote:
Mathematically speaking, 0.9999... (where ... indicates it's repeating endlessly) is exactly equal to 1, so saying 99.999...% is the same as saying 100%. (1/3=0.33...; 0.33...x3=.99... therefore, .99...=1)

Anyway, it would certainly be interesting to see aliens implemented into a Gundam series, but it would have to be done right. For example, G Gundam is, on the surface, a huge departure from other Gundam shows, but when you get deeper into the show, you find that it is built on the fundamentals of what makes a Gundam show Gundam. That said, I don't know how exactly they'd go about doing it. 00 keeps hinting at "dialogues to come" and if that refers to aliens, well...I'll wait to see how it's handled.
Unless Japanese material specifically said aliens, that could just as well have referred to a human-wide GN particle connection in which everyone has a perfect understanding with everyone. Most of what the A-LAWS were doing could just as well have been seen as preparing the world for such a moment, one that was in Ribbon's favor of course.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
ShadowCell

Aliens or not, 00 does not really need to show any aliens. It's still a story about humans trying to solve the human problem of conflict and lack of understanding, with the added detail that once we do that, we'll be ready to start conversing with possibly alien species.
ZeroBusterXX

Mizushima was interviewed at some convention, and when asked about aliens appearing in the 00 Movie, he said something to the effect of "in my opinion, the Innovators were already very 'alien' to me." I figured that was something.
Red Comet90

ZeroBusterXX wrote:Mizushima was interviewed at some convention, and when asked about aliens appearing in the 00 Movie, he said something to the effect of "in my opinion, the Innovators were already very 'alien' to me." I figured that was something.
And to some extent he's right. If he's referring to the Innovedos then to Gundam they are a rather foreign concept with how they live and think. Although artificial life in Gundam is nothing new with characters like Kira. I would hope we don't see any aliens in the 00 movie. I think it wouldn't be handled well if there were unless it flashes forward 500 years after the movie ends and shows Humans in contact with new beings.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Kuruni

Gadget wrote:
Kuruni wrote: Frog alien, however, is worth seeing.
Huhhh??
It's referrence to only alien race that depict as being more Gundam-fan than us. We're talking about one that worship Katoki Hajime, built Zaku II gunpla to kill time while waiting in line at gamestore, refer to relationship with his dad as "like Amuro Ray and Tem Ray", has squad of Master Grade GM since grunt only appeal when there are lot of them...and at least one soldier has nickname like "Nightmare of Keromon". Geez, they should blow this Earth few times already if it isn't fact that Bandai's plamo facility only available on Earth.

If none make sense to you, I'm talking about Keroro Gunsou :mrgreen: .
My girlfriend was a loli.