Your opinion on Heroic Age

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

Your opinion on Heroic Age

After listening on the Heroic Age OP Gravitation (Very Epic BTW haha) and learning that show is a mecha anime... is Heroic Age worth to watch?

Tell me your opinion about this series without spoiling anything :)

Thanks!
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Your opinion on Heroic Age

Two words:

Space Godzillas

Awesome show. I have both box sets sitting in front of me right now, actually. It's a grand epic space opera with huge, black hole punching monsters beating the crap out of each other while planets explode around them. The mecha are solely used by the human grunts, but surprisingly few get destroyed on screen.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dark Duel

Character designs are by Hisashi Hirai, but like Fafner there's surprisingly few "cookie-cutter" characters. The animation quality's not on Fafner's level, but it's pretty high, the battles are epic, the main character's giant humanoid weapon of asskickery is a pure brawler, the main character himself is hilarious, and overall it's a pretty great show.
I've yet to finish it, but it's my second-favorite ever show of the ones with Hirai designs.

Yeah, definitely worth watching. Plus the OP(Which is by the same artist who did the OPs for the aforementioned Fafner) is awesome indeed.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
CarbonStereoxide

Dark Duel wrote:Character designs are by Hisashi Hirai, but like Fafner there's surprisingly few "cookie-cutter" characters. The animation quality's not on Fafner's level, but it's pretty high, the battles are epic, the main character's giant humanoid weapon of asskickery is a pure brawler, the main character himself is hilarious, and overall it's a pretty great show.
I've yet to finish it, but it's my second-favorite ever show of the ones with Hirai designs.

Yeah, definitely worth watching. Plus the OP(Which is by the same artist who did the OPs for the aforementioned Fafner) is awesome indeed.
That reason of Hirai as the character designer of Heroic Age cleared me up on watching the OP of the show for the first time, I saw a Lacus Cylne look alike character and many somewhat familiar faces from the Gundam Seed Universe :shock:
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

thanatos

It's often classified as a mecha show, but this isn't totally true since from the first episode, the mecha on screen are so pitifully underpowered when compared to the Nodos. What this show does have is a good amount of ship battles. This definately falls into the category of "Space Opera" since it has far more than overt-the-top violence and smashing. The ending definately pulled on my heartstrings.

I find that Hirai's designs of younger characters are all alike (such as Athrun/Kazuki/Age) though his designs for older people are good, such as Captian Mobeedo in Heroic Age.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Destiny_Gundam

Heroic Age actually redeemed Hirai in my eyes. His designs for the various alien races were actually rather distinct and different from his other stuff.

Boy, that Lekti was a real beauty.
Daemoro

Worth watching? Oh yeah.

Heroic Age is a definite must-have. Got the first part of the series, still awaiting for the 2nd half. And I love the op. theme.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Boy, that Lekti was a real beauty.
That, and Nilval Nephew (IMO)
Renegade334

Oh, yes, Heroic Age is a good series.

The pilot episode instantly seduced me with the setting - the genesis of a world where four races are stepping up on the ladder of evolution to fill in the place freshly vacated by the 'gods' of this said world - a tale complimented by quite fitting parallels to Greek mythology and history (there isn't much innocence in the naming sense of each race, after all).

There are a few moments that seem to drag on with the constant Nodoss vs Nodoss fistfights, but after the
Spoiler
re-taking of Planet Earth and the travel to the Gold's long-lost homeworld
each episode becomes a standalone gem with gripping moments that really do honor to the notion of "epic". Battles plus drama and space opera...what else could you ask for?

Another thing to note is that, on top of Hisashi Shirai AND the OP artist, novelist Tou Ubukata who also worked on Fafner, also came back to help "dress up" the series some more.

Another big plus is the wonderful music - one of the best I've heard. Be it for battle or for when the Argonaut reaches certain worlds, it takes on a truly majestic mantle.

And I agree, the epilogue is really something.
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
Caican

Not all that great. The characters are two-dimensional without much depth. I mean, the supreme leaders of the Iron Tribe fleet were painstakingly pure idiots with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. And thats just one example. I'd have liked characters with more grey areas.

The battles were great at first... and then it got boring as it always ended up a NODOS vs NODOS fight. Couldn't the lesser mecha at least be... superficially threatening?

The space battles between ships - when we didn't have one overpowering being destroying everything to everyone's awe - were great. I'll give it that.

4/10 all told.
Destiny_Gundam

Caican wrote:I mean, the supreme leaders of the Iron Tribe fleet were painstakingly pure idiots with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
That was the whole point of their characters.

I will admit that Age was pretty static, but he's one of those characters that doesn't change, instead he changes those around him.

Well, I just finished watching the series again. As expected of Funi, the dub was good, and the battles sound awesome cranked at a high volume. It's most certainly shelf worthy.
CarbonStereoxide

I just finished Heroic Age!

The series itself was entertaining, loads of planetary explosions and inter galatic battles between the Silver, Bronze, Heroic and Iron Races even though the series itself does not focus on its Mechas. The alien character designs is good even though one of the Nodos look like a Lacus Cylne turned into the a (very violent) midget :lol:

The best small surprise for me is the VA of Allelujah Haptism voicing one of the Iron Tribe's Leaders that gave me a lulzy idea of what if good ol' Al/Hal rules the space empire of mankind :twisted:

To conclude this, I suggest that you watch: Heroic Age for yourself because it's short and a very entertaining one hehe
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

Wellman

Caican wrote:Not all that great. The characters are two-dimensional without much depth. I mean, the supreme leaders of the Iron Tribe fleet were painstakingly pure idiots with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. And thats just one example. I'd have liked characters with more grey areas.

The battles were great at first... and then it got boring as it always ended up a NODOS vs NODOS fight. Couldn't the lesser mecha at least be... superficially threatening?

The space battles between ships - when we didn't have one overpowering being destroying everything to everyone's awe - were great. I'll give it that.

4/10 all told.
I actually agree those are some of the flaws the series but the battles did get interesting again toward the middle of the series. And if you can over look the small amount of character development from most of the cast (most of what little development there is, surprisingly is mostly limited to the antagonists) you will get an entertaining show and nicely woven story.
thanatos

CarbonStereoxide wrote:The alien character designs is good even though one of the Nodos look like a Lacus Cylne turned into the a (very violent) midget :lol:
I thought the alien character designs could have been a lot more creative. The Nodos were all humanoid and were only different from humans in terms of cosmetic differences. Some of them should have been totally alien lifeforms like the Bronze Race. That could have made for some more interesting fights.

Lekti really looked as if she was of one of Leiji Matsumoto's (Galaxy Express 999, Captain Harlock) creations.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"